Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Merry Christmas you lovable dorks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

And they covered the one planet in city in about the same amount of time it took them to build the regular cities on all the other planets. Very efficient!

Also, despite the city planet likely having a population in the trillions, it has no private space traffic beyond the usual dozen or so player ships. Must be having a Covid lockdown.

Original lore was it was discovered in 2903, sold in 2920 to be developed by Arccorp and by 2949 was a city planet. This was a bridge to far for the cultists so they moved everything back at least 60 years.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

kilus aof posted:

Original lore was it was discovered in 2903, sold in 2920 to be developed by Arccorp and by 2949 was a city planet. This was a bridge to far for the cultists so they moved everything back at least 60 years.

The current story is that it was converted in about 80 years, entirely encased in metal factories, presumably because demand for the goods they make is incredibly high... somewhere. Unfortunately the only transports able to land on planets are the space equivalent of an 18 wheeler, and Chris Roberts never saw any cool movies with space elevators, so I'm not sure how the goods equivalent of like 1000 chinas is actually getting exported anywhere. Or who is feeding all these people given that there are no farms or food production places on any neighboring worlds.

But hey that poo poo's for boring nerds who like economics and poo poo. Not hardcore Han Solo space truckers! Now please sit down for my 400 page dissertation on the alien turtle man language.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Merry Christmas you lovable dorks

I dispute all of this

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Merry Christmas folks.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Don't hunt and stuff ophanim. They're red-listed and people will think you're a bit of an evil creep.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Merry Xmas / lumina fellow goons.

Enjoy unwrapping the 2 year delay to SQ42!

Hope Santa got you the right .JPEGs this year

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Merry crimmas and hang in there, goonailure cuntiflas fudsters!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CleanDefensiveAttwatersprairiechicken-mobile.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Tippis posted:

Don't hunt and stuff ophanim. They're red-listed and people will think you're a bit of an evil creep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufv24NJpfO4

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Merry Christmas Fudsters

~'tis the season to extend your Idris collection~

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Merry Christmas!!

May star citizen never end!

Gift yourself an Idris. You deserve it!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

:siren:Space Court Is Real:siren:

Merry Christmas

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Merry Ghostmas everyone.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Merry Stimpiremas everyone o42

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Christmas is delayed two weeks because an elf fell off his bike.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Last King posted:

is it just me or is this literally the illusive man from mass effect 2?

Pages ago but in thumbnail on mobile this looks like a dude squatting and hanging a monster dong.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Those tweets about the roadmap are super weird.

So this guy works under Zyloh. How is a community sub-manager in charge of a reasonably complex web application? How was Zyloh even in a position to delegate something like this to a peon?
I can see the relation to 'community', but at best the position would be something of a consulting/liaison role, giving input on what community members would like to see in a roadmap.

I'm pretty sure what happened here is they told him he was "in charge" of the project so he could tweet about it. Meanwhile a project manager over at Turbulent was actually doing the work.
Absolutely something that I can see happening where they boost the role of the one internal CIG employee who consulted on the project and completely discount the contracted 3rd-party who actually made the thing.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Pages ago but in thumbnail on mobile this looks like a dude squatting and hanging a monster dong.

Hey you called ?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

The current story is that it was converted in about 80 years, entirely encased in metal factories, presumably because demand for the goods they make is incredibly high... somewhere. Unfortunately the only transports able to land on planets are the space equivalent of an 18 wheeler, and Chris Roberts never saw any cool movies with space elevators, so I'm not sure how the goods equivalent of like 1000 chinas is actually getting exported anywhere. Or who is feeding all these people given that there are no farms or food production places on any neighboring worlds.

But hey that poo poo's for boring nerds who like economics and poo poo. Not hardcore Han Solo space truckers! Now please sit down for my 400 page dissertation on the alien turtle man language.

Their lore is ridiculously stupid from any angle. ArcCorp seems only to exist because Chris wanted his own Coruscant and to able to dick wave about how his game had an entire city planet. But in Star Wars the Republic (a multi-species galactic civilization) has existed for 25,000+ years by the time of the Phantom Menace. In Star Citizen, humans have been putzing around space for just a few hundred.

Right now, if the entire population of Earth lived in a mega city with the population density of Manhattan, we could all fit within New Zealand. Building an ecumenopolis would be a millennia long project, and it would require an unfathomably large population and infrastructure, not to mention a really good reason for its existence. You would need massive fusion reactors, atmospheric regulators, a planet scale heat dissipation mechanism, giant arcological habitats with space for plant life and farming, and massive orbital elevators connected to huge orbiting space stations that could accommodate cargo ships that are kilometers long... You know all of those cool sci-fi things which would naturally flow from thinking about the concept for more than a minute.

But nope, CIG just covered an entire planet in a few dozen repeating/tiled skyscraper models and called it a day; and they couldn’t even bother with some random AI traffic flying around. It’s completely lifeless, boring and pointless, but it still probably represents years of work from dozens of devs. It’s a testament to CIG’s unholy combination of a complete lack of imagination, technical incompetence and managerial stupidity.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 25, 2020

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

sharknado slashfic posted:

I finally after many years decided to observe the poop and went looking for a twitch stream. In the 3 minutes I watched, I enjoyed watching a man mine for 5 minutes (watching Star Citizen time seems to run the same as 2020 time), run to some terminal to deposit(?) whatever he had mined, get an error message, mouth what I believe might literally have been a prayer, try another terminal, get an error message, and literally put his head in his hands.

It was simultaneously exactly what I expected and also better then I expected.

And now with their new facial recognition hardware tie-in (never to actually see the light of day) you will be able to see the exact moment their entire world crumbles around them as they realize the $20K+ they spent for: friends, power, acceptance, etc. will never amount to anything. Yay!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
Merry CrumBum!

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

History Comes Inside! posted:

LMFAO.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Fidelitious posted:

How is a community sub-manager in charge of a reasonably complex web application? How was Zyloh even in a position to delegate something like this to a peon?

He’s no peon — he’s a bonafide Star Citizen journalist!!!

Merry Christmas all you guys and gals.

:pgabz::eonwe::sandance:

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Fidelitious posted:

So this guy works under Zyloh. How is a community sub-manager in charge of a reasonably complex web application? How was Zyloh even in a position to delegate something like this to a peon?
I can see the relation to 'community', but at best the position would be something of a consulting/liaison role, giving input on what community members would like to see in a roadmap.

What I don't get is why presenting the same information as the previous roadmaps in a different format is a good use of time.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
"CIG treats us as press" - Jake (while volunteering for Wulf's newest guerilla marketing venture)

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 25, 2020

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen - Unplayable Now*
* and forever

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Merry Christmas boys and girls! <3

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Thank you, Star Citizen, for providing me with 6 or 7 years of easy laughs and entertainment. Merry holidays everyone.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

Merry Christmas boys and girls! <3

Uhm excuse me, I own an Idris so I am a MAN not a boy. And, according to the roadmap you’ll soon be moping it.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Merry christmas to all who like to laugh at piece of poo poo video game mstar citizen

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Merry Christmas!

May your roadmaps all lead to a release.

And not to another roadmap.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Merry Christmas to all citizens of stars and to all a [connection to server lost]

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

A friend just raised this theory: what if sq42 is being remade not because it's Duke Nukem Forever, but because Roberts doesn't want his ex wife in it?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Nalin posted:

Yeah, that's Orison. Each planet has a city, a space station, and a number of moons.

Ah yes. Fully simulated living, breathing worlds, just as Chris Roberts promised.

Merry Chris-mas you hoopy fudsters!

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

colonelwest posted:

Their lore is ridiculously stupid from any angle. ArcCorp seems only to exist because Chris wanted his own Coruscant and to able to dick wave about how his game had an entire city planet. But in Star Wars the Republic (a multi-species galactic civilization) has existed for 25,000+ years by the time of the Phantom Menace. In Star Citizen, humans have been putzing around space for just a few hundred.

Right now, if the entire population of Earth lived in a mega city with the population density of Manhattan, we could all fit within New Zealand. Building an ecumenopolis would be a millennia long project, and it would require an unfathomably large population and infrastructure, not to mention a really good reason for its existence. You would need massive fusion reactors, atmospheric regulators, a planet scale heat dissipation mechanism, giant arcological habitats with space for plant life and farming, and massive orbital elevators connected to huge orbiting space stations that could accommodate cargo ships that are kilometers long... You know all of those cool sci-fi things which would naturally flow from thinking about the concept for more than a minute.

But nope, CIG just covered an entire planet in a few dozen repeating/tiled skyscraper models and called it a day; and they couldn’t even bother with some random AI traffic flying around. It’s completely lifeless, boring and pointless, but it still probably represents years of work from dozens of devs. It’s a testament to CIG’s unholy combination of a complete lack of imagination, technical incompetence and managerial stupidity.

i wonder how many children each woman would need to have on average from now until 2950 or whatever, to fill a city planet. ArcCorp is basically one of those ghost cities in China.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Not gonna lie that would be some great poo poo to have in an actual game. Imagine an entire ghost city but a planet built while the company behind it was doing an unprecedented fraud campaign with it to rack in untold amounts of money before it eventually falls through with the planet being left an unlivable metal shell.

But we can just call it Star Citizen.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

ChaseSP posted:

Not gonna lie that would be some great poo poo to have in an actual game. Imagine an entire ghost city but a planet built while the company behind it was doing an unprecedented fraud campaign with it to rack in untold amounts of money before it eventually falls through with the planet being left an unlivable metal shell.

But we can just call it Star Citizen.

A planetwide derelict corporation-built pyramid scheme-funded ghost city is an incredibly cool idea for a setting, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
enjoy the holidays everyone, with the cloud imperium christmas album, only 49,99 + 23 for shipping!

"All I Want for Christmas PU"
"Glitchin’ Around the Christmas Tree"
"Last Bugfest"
“Sata Ball is coming to town“
"Jingle Bell Roc"
"White Connie"
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Idris"
“Do they know its pledge time?“
"Hobo the Red-Nosed Reindeer"