Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah the choice options, even cosmetic ones, are night and day (city) compared to Witcher 3. Just about every side quest in TW3 has some wrinkle that Geralt has to deal with, a duplicitous questgiver or something else that complicates an otherwise simple “complete and turn in” loop, forcing Geralt to make some kind of decision.

Those instances were way more diffuse, too - there wasn’t a sense that there existed a strict delineation between self-contained core / secondary quest chains (romances, etc) and everything else. You could walk into some random village and end up finding yourself being asked to keep someone’s dark secret, or save someone from debt, or some other thing that’s typically grey. They weren’t cinematic, but they left you feeling like you had to make a call.

The closest thing CP has to this, beyond the ultra-cinematic core quests and a few sidequest chains (the Peralezes, love interests) is a very occasional request to go non-lethal on a Far Cry-style location raid. As a substitute for Witcher-style bespoke complication it frankly sucks. Not only does it feel low-effort but it’s hurt by how pacifism was more of an ambient character build choice in immersive sim games, making it something we’ve seen before, to greater or lesser degrees of relevance to outcomes. Dishonored this ain’t.

100% agree with this and I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it. The quests in this game, while competent, were a major let down compared to TW3. Everything was so...predictable (with a few exceptions like Sinnerman). Definitely didn't help that a lot of quests left you with blue balls and ended just as they were getting interesting.

Dr. Carwash fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Is this some sick joke that the game added loot that I can't reach?

Katt fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 25, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MarshyMcFly posted:

Saying it’s just a worse game is subjective. But saying it doesn’t have features that a similar game had 10+ years ago is just sad.

I remember these same types of videos comparing GTA V vs. GTA IV. This must mean GTA V is a worse game! Obviously, a game's quality is determined by ancillary features.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Katt posted:

Is this some sick joke that the game added loot on him that I can't reach?

It's his guns and you can get them later on

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 25, 2020

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You should probably spoiler that.

I thought of it but then nothing in the screenshot indicates anything. Unless you go spoil it to make a point :v:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Yeah, I didn't even understand what I was looking at before I read quoted spoiler.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You guys I played this game for 75 hours then spent another 10 hours watching the game on YouTube then I spent a week and a half posting about it all day and I just wanted to let you know, over and over again, that the game is bad and disappointing and unfinished and very, extremely bad, which is why I spent 100 hours of my life playing it and talking about it all day. It’s a terrible game and I’ll probably only play it again a few more times and buy the DLC day 1, just to see how bad it is.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Posting to defend the game's honor seems odder imo

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Just refunded on PS4 Pro and bought it again on my PC. Good god, it's like a different game, I should have done this earlier.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ah yes, the classic "you completed the game, therefore you have forfeited your ability to critique it." Almost as good as "how can you critique the game if you haven't completed it yet." Next up we make steak & hamburger analogies.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
While I'm a bit disappointed with Judy's post romance content (couple of voice lines and that's about that), it still makes me very :3: and :syoon: when she texts me and calls me her "calabacita".

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

You guys I played this game for 75 hours then spent another 10 hours watching the game on YouTube then I spent a week and a half posting about it all day and I just wanted to let you know, over and over again, that the game is bad and disappointing and unfinished and very, extremely bad, which is why I spent 100 hours of my life playing it and talking about it all day. It’s a terrible game and I’ll probably only play it again a few more times and buy the DLC day 1, just to see how bad it is.

You seem real mad that this game is actually poo poo. Sorry, but not all games are good.

Katt posted:

How do you level athletics in this game?

The real answer: sprint/jump punch the air the hours
The "lol i ain't doing that" answer: equip a berzerk cyberwar OS. Trigger berserk (hold E) then sprint and do a slide. Go to the menu while sliding. Berzerk gives you unlimited stamina so the game tracks the slide as on-going for as long as you stay in the menus so your athletics XP just keeps going up super fast. You can actually go to your character screen and go in and out of the athletics skill tab to see the XP go up. It'll cap you to whatever your body attribute is in a minute or two.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 25, 2020

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

:discourse:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Jack and Jill is the worst movie you've ever seen you say? Yet you watched it from start to finish. Curious. Very curious.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Next up we make steak & hamburger analogies.

lol you say this but

The knife is all the games art content, assets, writing, music etc and the rest is the game mechanics.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Unh I want a portable music player mod plugged straight into my skull so I can play whatever I want while I blast and hack poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxz53ArvbAw

this game has grown on me on the 2nd playthrough in a dumb geeky way and it's almost hitting all those sweet spots like some modern day skyrim, give it a couple years and give it a replay again, and again the next year, repeat ad nauseum

:awesomelon:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

Ah yes, the classic "you completed the game, therefore you have forfeited your ability to critique it." Almost as good as "how can you critique the game if you haven't completed it yet." Next up we make steak & hamburger analogies.

It’s just hard to keep up with newfangled takes like “I played the game and liked it, but then watched all the endings on YouTube and decided it was bad” or “this game has cars and missions, so it should have been a GTA game”.

No one has ever said you cannot critique a game that you have played and beaten, I’m just highlighting the fact that at some point you probably were having fun with it. I’ve never hate-watched or hate-played anything in my life (except for perhaps Westworld Season 3, but I accept that I have brain damage about that show)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jeff Fatwood posted:

lol you say this but

The knife is all the games art content, assets, writing, music etc and the rest is the game mechanics.

It's funny how gently caress ugly the food in this game is. There's a couple eating scenes where people are like "dig into this burger, it's home made with 6 different kinds of polygon"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
For the races should I get a fast car or are they doable with Claire's truck?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

RatHat posted:

If you're on console use the Shion Coyote if you're on pc add the driving fix .ini and use the fastest car you have (which will probably be the shion coyote if you haven't bought the caliburn).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

(except for perhaps Westworld Season 3, but I accept that I have brain damage about that show)

Oh man that loving season god drat. Wait gently caress that show was cyberpunk as gently caress Dolores is Delamain.

RatHat posted:

Did them all with her truck, no problem at all.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

RatHat posted:

Completely doable in Claire's truck.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

RatHat posted:

lol they're trivial even with the beast

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I don't really get the claims of a good story and characters, where are they? Who are they?

I kinda just think the rest of the game is so bad people look for something to salvage it. I can't really think of a single character besides takemura who has 2 dimensions and even he's just a stoic Japanese guy with a goofy endearing side.

Like do any other characters subvert your expectations or have moments you see the in a new light that recontextualises them? Not that I can think of.

Having said that I enjoyed cyberpunk but mainly as a game I streamed to friends and we laughed at the bugs and brokenness. I also liked one hitting everyone with a knife.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Gonna try out just saying people who liked the game have lower standards and should have expected more to see if they get how silly the opposite sounds.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

RatHat posted:

I won all of the races in Claires truck first time to be honest.

On Claire was pretty suprised Claire was trans but makes sense considering the new tech in 2077. All those resetera weirdos will be happy at least. Will help her kill the guy in my next playthrough

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s just hard to keep up with newfangled takes like “I played the game and liked it, but then watched all the endings on YouTube and decided it was bad” or “this game has cars and missions, so it should have been a GTA game”.

No one has ever said you cannot critique a game that you have played and beaten, I’m just highlighting the fact that at some point you probably were having fun with it. I’ve never hate-watched or hate-played anything in my life (except for perhaps Westworld Season 3, but I accept that I have brain damage about that show)

I feel like I have to keep saying this over and over, but I didn't dislike Cyberpunk 2077. When all is said and done, it was probably in my top 5 games of the year. My ability to critique its various shortcomings (of which there are many) is just me being a naturally skeptical person, not some calculated attempt to own the CP2077 Likers or whatever. I'm not a very ideological person -- if I thought the game's open world systems and roleplaying opportunities were great I'd be singing their praises right now, in the same way I speak very highly of the story and characters. This is me using my eyes and ears and brain to arrive at conclusions and participate in the discussion around this game. And being an independent human being, my thoughts may not always align with yours, even if they are inconveniencing you to read.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Sedisp posted:

Gonna try out just saying people who liked the game have lower standards and should have expected more to see if they get how silly the opposite sounds.

Yeah the people who are happy with the game that they made have weirder standards than the people who are upset the game isn’t the fictional thing you wanted in your head. You wanted a huge sprawling GTA clone with emergent gameplay that somehow also encompassed New Vegas/Alpha Protocol levels of character interaction and story integration, accounting for every possible outcome or permutation of quests based on every decision point leading to wildly branching character or story interactions... one of us is happy with the real game that exists, one of us is disappointed in a game that has never existed.

Takemura, Panam, Johnny Silverhand, and Jackie are all very good characters, River is pretty cool too in some cases I think, but also V themselves is a really good character, and ultimately gets all the best moments in the game.

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like I have to keep saying this over and over, but I didn't dislike Cyberpunk 2077. When all is said and done, it was probably in my top 5 games of the year.

It’s possible I just missed it, but you’ve made the same post about what you don’t like over a dozen times at this point, but you never talk about what you liked, so it seems like the only thing your interested in discussing are the games failings, which leads to the cyclical nature of the thread.

Your opinions on the game don’t bother me at all, I always look forward to your thoughtful critiques, but you’ve posted 50 billion words about what you didn’t like, but as someone who reads your post very carefully, I have NO IDEA what you like about the game, so forgive me if that isn’t super clear.

I can rattle off a dozen things I hate about the game, the UI, the AI, the lack of city features that would make sense for NC to have, but I also frequently post about the things I love about the game. What is the MOST fun you had with cyberpunk?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 25, 2020

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah the people who are happy with the game that they made have weirder standards than the people who are upset the game isn’t the fictional thing you wanted in your head. You wanted a huge sprawling GTA clone with emergent gameplay that somehow also encompassed New Vegas/Alpha Protocol levels of character interaction and story integration, accounting for every possible outcome or permutation of quests based on every decision point leading to wildly branching character or story interactions... one of us is happy with the real game that exists, one of us is disappointed in a game that has never existed.

Takemura, Panam, Johnny Silverhand, and Jackie are all very good characters, River is pretty cool too in some cases I think, but also V themselves is a really good character, and ultimately gets all the best moments in the game.

Nah I wanted an rpg that was as good as the Witcher 3 (an eight year old game) I did not get that imo it's okay if you disagree though. Some people just have higher standards than others I guess :shrug:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Maybe just engage with the takes that are worthwhile to engage with?

No, let's just get really angry and shitpost endlessly about caricatures.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I don't really get the claims of a good story and characters, where are they? Who are they?

I guess that's pretty subjective not to like them? I love Judy, Jackie, Vik and like most of the big characters. They all have clearly defined strengths, flaws, interests and they're very well animated, voice acted etc. Like objectively, they're very well made. Judy has an arc you can participate in and you learn a lot about what makes her tic.

If you think they're "not good", it's totally up to you but the characters and story is the stuff I love a lot about this game and what's keeping me in.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

V being a good character...

different strokes for different folks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Fem V does a lotta work for that character.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

If you're feeling femme she's a much better character than whatever the hell male V is rasping about.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

What exactly is your problem with V I think they are well done for a game like this.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
V is only as interesting as the things you make them say, I guess, but I never felt like V was a blank slate the way I always felt Commander Shepherd was. He’s very charming and wry, deeply sarcastic, but extremely sensitive and empathetic. His Corpo background means that he is smarter than most of the people around him, which lets his hubris catch up to them and fucks him over. He and Johnny start to see eye to eye after hating each other’s guts.

I dunno maybe this all gets dumpstered by the endings but V is a very well fleshed out guy and I’m excited to see how Lady V’s line reads change the tone.

Like the interplay between Male V and Judy is my favorite, a purely platonic male/female relationship is a rare thing in a game!

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Haha robat mans go pewpewpee

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I agree V, What the gently caress

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Bust Rodd posted:

V is only as interesting as the things you make them say, I guess, but I never felt like V was a blank slate the way I always felt Commander Shepherd was. He’s very charming and wry, deeply sarcastic, but extremely sensitive and empathetic. His Corpo background means that he is smarter than most of the people around him, which lets his hubris catch up to them and fucks him over. He and Johnny start to see eye to eye after hating each other’s guts.

I dunno maybe this all gets dumpstered by the endings but V is a very well fleshed out guy and I’m excited to see how Lady V’s line reads change the tone.

Like the interplay between Male V and Judy is my favorite, a purely platonic male/female relationship is a rare thing in a game!

the ending of judy quest is legit one of my favorite moments in the game. just pure character work and that theme...all the feels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
For me personally it's telling that every time someone names a game to critically compare Cyberpunk to, it's a game that I think is complete dogshit to actually play compared to Cyberpunk.

That doesn't mean I think they're dumb assholes, but I think our perspectives are just hopelessly divergent so it's not worth arguing about.

The only exception is New Vegas, a game that I think is fantastic... but also has a ton of baked in gameplay flaws of its own that were notable even at the time.

I would also say that New Vegas's main quest absolutely had more divergent paths than Cyberpunk... but I never cared that much about it down the final stretch to be honest. I mostly loved roaming this big place stumbling on genuinely cool poo poo along the way while dressing like an atomic Cowboy. The Bethesda Fallouts substitute "any poo poo at all" for "genuinely cool poo poo" obviously. By Fallout 4 most of my enjoyment came from seeing how tall I could build a trash town. But I digress.

New Vegas was also a game that was only properly finished after a long string of patches and DLCs which followed a launch decried by the gaming media as a buggy omnishamles. And then a corporation hosed everyone involved in actually constructing that world over.

E: I type things bad :haw:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 25, 2020