Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fallen Order was super unremarkable.

Merry Christmas thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The combat is aggressively mediocre too and just does not flow well. I also just do not like enemies that arbitrarily pivot mid-charging-move at you.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Fallen Order was mediocre enough for me to get all the collectables lol

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I love this thread. People here are so much more sane about video games. I last time I had the nerve to suggest somewhere that Fallen Order probably isn't worth 60$, people practically jumped in my face for it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
theres a ignored brain worms pandemic with regards to star wars stuff thats been going on for 40 odd years so... luckily, my SW brain worms got cured in 1999, they were still kinda there for 20 years give or take, until late 2019 when i was fully cured of those brain worms and now immune thanks to the valiant efforts of jj abrams.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 25, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Baby Yoda show is amazing

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Merry Christmas!

I shelved fallen order after another uninspired uncharted/tomb raider ripoff climbing area and another "go through narrow passage to hide a loading screen". The game is just AAA tropes from 10 years ago but done half assed. Also no stick sensitivity settings, really? These deadzones are huge and the game feels bad to control. Everything feels like it responds about a second slower than it should. 4/10.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Got about 14 hours of Cyberpunk patch 1.06 and no crashes yet.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cardiovorax posted:

I love this thread. People here are so much more sane about video games. I last time I had the nerve to suggest somewhere that Fallen Order probably isn't worth 60$, people practically jumped in my face for it.

Even though I like the game, I'd agree with this. I got it for $20 and felt that was reasonable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cardiovorax posted:

I will say I think it's at least a fixable game rather than just broken or bad. If the development team got to take a crack at a sequel, I'd have high hopes they could take what was learned and maybe turn out something far better.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I will say I think it's at least a fixable game rather than just broken or bad. If the development team got to take a crack at a sequel, I'd have high hopes they could take what was learned and maybe turn out something far better.
FWIW, I don't disagree. Fallen Order is a game I will confidently call mediocre, but I do not think it is actually bad. It is flawed, but also basically competent, and there's the framework for something really fun and engaging in it. If there's ever a sequel, I'll certainly give it a shot first before I write it off. If the devs learn from their mistakes in this one, it might end up being very good.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Fallen Order for me was like Assassin’s Creed 1; nice proof of concept, but the real test will be the sequel.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I really like star wars as an aesthetic but the majority of the franchise is sadly crap now

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheCenturion posted:

Fallen Order for me was like Assassin’s Creed 1; nice proof of concept, but the real test will be the sequel.

Yeah, I'd absolutely agree with that analogy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think they were given a crack at it because they could put out a product that would appeal to a wide audience in a reasonable timeframe and sell sell sell, unlike whatever the hell DICE had been doing with the lisence for the last decade. As is often the case, goon criticisms didn't matter to the wider public who went out and bought Fallen Order in droves.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's the perfect comparison. It felt exactly like that to me as well. Just like Asscreed, I wouldn't want to replay it, but I am down for Fallen Order 2: Ezio In Space.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been revisiting the past year of posts here trying to figure out what I played this year, what a wild ride, remember what we were talking about a year ago

I miss Donovan Trip, another cool rear end game goon just up and disappeared. :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

theres a ignored brain worms pandemic with regards to star wars stuff thats been going on for 40 odd years so... luckily, my SW brain worms got cured in 1999, they were still kinda there for 20 years give or take, until late 2019 when i was fully cured of those brain worms and now immune thanks to the valiant efforts of jj abrams.

i'm with ya, star war bad, the entire thing is one giant fluke upheld by the merits of TESB which is a rather well edited fantasy spectacle. the rest of that poo poo is endless ritualistic self abuse and consumer panic stand-in in the absence of art that might otherwise provoke critical engagement and self awareness.

there, i said words

edit 'might'

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 25, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

I really like star wars as an aesthetic but the majority of the franchise is sadly crap now

If TLJ had to be the last hurrah at least it was a drat good one

(Mando is alright though)

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Everything just feels so bland and generic. We're playing the same poo poo that we were 10 years ago just prettier. Ps360 gen gave us new IPs at the time. We haven't had quality the equivalent of a dead space 1, Gears of war 1, mass effect 1, bioshock 1. It doesn't help that the big AAA RPG is basically dead in favor of dumbed down systems that turn them into action games with shallow RPG elements. What isn't boring or generic is just released unfinished and/or broken.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thank you for this bland and generic post.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Star Wars has always been kind of a crapshoot, but when it hits, it really hits. I really, really loved Knights of the Old Republic 2, because everything about the writing just hits all the big questions and conflicts of the setting in the perfect way for my own thoughts about it. The writing was just stellar and Kreia is one of the best ambiguous villains I've seen in any game since Planescape: Torment.

quote:

You showed them life without the Force - and instead of showing them truth, power, all you showed them was how the galaxy may die. You are responsible for all of this. Even now, events spiral towards destruction, and there is nothing that can be done because you refuse to listen, to understand.

You have seen the effects you have on those close to you, heard the echoes scream across dead planets, and watched as your strength has grown. Yet it is for nothing. To have the Jedi Masters brought low by such a failure, there is no victory in that. You have not heard a thing I have taught, and for all I have said, you have never learned to listen.

That old woman has a tongue sharp enough to cut spaceship hulls.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Dpulex posted:

Everything just feels so bland and generic. We're playing the same poo poo that we were 10 years ago just prettier. Ps360 gen gave us new IPs at the time. We haven't had quality the equivalent of a dead space 1, Gears of war 1, mass effect 1, bioshock 1. It doesn't help that the big AAA RPG is basically dead in favor of dumbed down systems that turn them into action games with shallow RPG elements. What isn't boring or generic is just released unfinished and/or broken.

:thumbsup:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cardiovorax posted:

Star Wars has always been kind of a crapshoot, but when it hits, it really hits. I really, really loved Knights of the Old Republic 2, because everything about the writing just hits all the big questions and conflicts of the setting in the perfect way for my own thoughts about it. The writing was just stellar and Kreia is one of the best ambiguous villains I've seen in any game since Planescape: Torment.

That old woman has a tongue sharp enough to cut spaceship hulls.

Yeah i feel the last Jedi tried something similar and it just failed. I would call it one of the worst non prequel movies but at least it was coherent. Unlike TLS

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dpulex posted:

"There are no new significant IPs" says person who apparently doesn't look at video games at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I liked The Last Jedi, just for trying to take things somewhere new. It absolutely has problems as a film, but I still enjoyed it on the whole and would put it around 5/6th place out of the 9 "Saga" films if I had to rank them.

Rise of Skywalker is just an unsalvagable burning dumpsterfire of a film though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please ignore the attention seeking guy that everyone in the Switch thread already got sick of

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah i feel the last Jedi tried something similar and it just failed. I would call it one of the worst non prequel movies but at least it was coherent. Unlike TLS
I haven't watched a new Star Wars movie since The Phantom Menace myself, but I can sympathize with the annoyance a lot of people seem to be feeling with it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cardiovorax posted:

I haven't watched a new Star Wars movie since The Phantom Menace myself, but I can sympathize with the annoyance a lot of people seem to be feeling with it.

I actually mixed up the name I meant the rise of sky walker. That’s the incoherent one

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's fine, I don't even know which one is which anyway. :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Fallout 4 GOTY Edition worth $20?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

GreenNight posted:

I would say so. It’s a fun game to explore and gently caress around in. Don’t go in expecting a great story though.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

GreenNight posted:

Crawl out through the fallout baby :cool: (yes if you like any other Bethesda game released in the last 15ish years)

J-Spot posted:

I would say so. It’s a fun game to explore and gently caress around in. Don’t go in expecting a great story though.

Hey, keep in mind the GOTY edition would include Far Harbor, which plot-wise is probably the best thing Bethesda has done with the series....ever, I think?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

GreenNight posted:

On PC I would say absolutely, but if you're getting it on PS4 I would check how the modding situation is first. I hear you can use them on PS4, but I don't to which extent and while the game is okay, there are a lot of not-so-great little things that really need full mod access to work around and improve if you want the best experience with it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just went through a lengthy flashback in days gone that i think was intended to have gameplay sections but messily cut them out

what a weird game

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I know it's basically impossible now that the main dude behind it left the company I think but I really would like to see a Days Gone director's cut with all that stuff returned to the game. There's just so many little moments where it's patently obvious they cut a gameplay segment or removed a dialogue option/moral choice and it makes me wonder how much better the game would be if that stuff was still in the game.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Cloudpunk is super awesome and better than Cyberpunk but uh man I hate console games that don't have a manual save function

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

GreenNight posted:

My dude it isn't even worth being free

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Cardiovorax posted:

On PC I would say absolutely, but if you're getting it on PS4 I would check how the modding situation is first. I hear you can use them on PS4, but I don't to which extent and while the game is okay, there are a lot of not-so-great little things that really need full mod access to work around and improve if you want the best experience with it.

Even if they have mods, if it's got the 2GB total cap like it was on Xbox, don't even bother. That'd get used up on the performance texture packs and a couple radio stations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A good point to bring up, yes. Fallout 4 mods are on the whole bigger than mods for the earlier games used to be, because the texture work just takes so much more space from the jump in texture resolutions since the previous game.