Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

PittTheElder posted:

Something was desperately wrong with people of 1990. Maybe it was all the lead.

It was a different time. The only access to adult cartoons was Nightflight from midnight to three AM on USA network if you had cable, bootleg hookups at a warehouse dirt mall an hour away, comic conventions or the one indie video rental store that only had Plague Dogs, 100th gen Starblazer episodes and Fritz the Cat cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think that album came out before there a lot of songs on the show

Yeah, that came out during early season 2 and a total of like 22 full length episodes had already aired.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

I had it on cassette tape and listened to it riding the bus to school on a Walkman

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

GoutPatrol posted:

...is this a buyable product

If it is, make sure you file off the sharp corners before use.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What I'd really like is a compilation of video games based on the joke games from the show. Wouldn't you want to play Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge or Larry the Looter?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

super sweet best pal posted:

What I'd really like is a compilation of video games based on the joke games from the show. Wouldn't you want to play Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge or Larry the Looter?

https://aaron-demeter.itch.io/lee-carvallos-putting-challenge

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

[bon mot]

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I remember the Stickball joke. In general the Simpsons, even the newer episodes I've seen, has been surprisingly consistently good in portraying video games in then-contemporary fashion compared to how boomer comedy usually struggles with the very basics of the concept. (though That 90s Show having Sonic proposing to Amy was a laugh for reasons I'm entirely certain went over the writers' heads)

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
I recrntly rewatched it and I genuinely like season 1. It's definitely a different animal than later seasons and the animation is rougher but Homer is much more relatable as an everyman who's just kind of dumb in an average way and had kids that bug the hell out of him. It just feels more like a cohesive concept of a show about an average family rather than a string of (often very good) jokes.

Also it has a ton of jokes I'm not sure what you guys are talking about.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I got a couple bootleg tapes with a bunch of random S2 episodes for christmas one year, maybe in 1999 or 2000? Even as a kid I noticed the massive tonal difference between like the fugu bucket list ep and then contemporary material like homer and ned's vegas bender but I still loved their tone/humour/wholesome vibe.

Then a couple years later I got the S1 dvd box set and I thought it sucked and was weird.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Simpsons genuinely caused outright moral panics even in season 1. For all the 90s is ridiculous in hindsight, it must have been a massive reality check.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Simpsons genuinely caused outright moral panics even in season 1. For all the 90s is ridiculous in hindsight, it must have been a massive reality check.

Everything caused moral panics in the 90s, especially the early 90s. The panic related to the Simpsons was that it was perceived a children's medium representing family disfunction, alcoholism, etc.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

GoutPatrol posted:

I remember the episode where Lenny got one for Christmas!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

GoutPatrol posted:

The, uh, product in question from homer's dream is finally revealed!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Snuffman posted:

I remember being so disappointed with this album as a kid cause even as a dumb kid I wanted actual songs from the show.

Fortunately someone was listening and we got Songs in the Key of Springfield, Simphonic and Testify.

I prefer their more experimental work

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nothing is forgotten on the internet..

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Where the Christmas memes at?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

terror 🐘 lake 🐘 salutes 🐘 charlemagne 🐘 on 🐘 the 🐘 1220th 🐘 anniversary 🐘 of 🐘 his 🐘 coronation 🐘 as 🐘 holy 🐘 roman 🐘 emperor 🐘

(yes I know the joke hits because hannibal crossed the alps with elephants)

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 25, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

An old PC game called Virtual Springfield has several of the early games playable. I know the boxing game is playable, I think Larry the Looter is too

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

xtal posted:

Where the Christmas memes at?

Sorry imgur is over capacity (any alternate suggestions for a frinkiac rehost?)

https://frinkiac.com/video/S01E01/r6meR8f2BjCc18TSHGPXnA_eBJQ=.mp4

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DON'T FORGET
REICH RENT
AT AUSTERLITZ

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Sorry imgur is over capacity (any alternate suggestions for a frinkiac rehost?)

https://frinkiac.com/video/S01E01/r6meR8f2BjCc18TSHGPXnA_eBJQ=.mp4

It's Santos L Halper, really hope someone got fired for that blunder, etc.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Greg12 posted:

terror 🐘 lake 🐘 salutes 🐘 charlemagne 🐘 on 🐘 the 🐘 1220th 🐘 anniversary 🐘 of 🐘 his 🐘 coronation 🐘 as 🐘 holy 🐘 roman 🐘 emperor 🐘

(yes I know the joke hits because hannibal crossed the alps with elephants)

Charlemagne had an elephant. His name was Abul-Abbas. He loved him.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Charlemagne had an elephant. His name was Abul-Abbas. He loved him.

It translates to "He Who Stamps"

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

"I'm Bart Simpson, who the hell are you" must have been a world-ender for boomers who think "hell" is an obscenity lmao

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pretty good posted:

"I'm Bart Simpson, who the hell are you" must have been a world-ender for boomers who think "hell" is an obscenity lmao

It was.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bart Simpson licked my Bhole clean on national tv during a commercial break in the 1992 Superbowl and it tore this country, and my rear end, apart

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

He turned straight to the camera and said dead-on.
"Don't a have a cow. Bunga-man"

And that's when the LA riots kicked off.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Big Beef City posted:

Bart Simpson licked my Bhole clean on national tv during a commercial break in the 1992 Superbowl and it tore this country, and my rear end, apart

post/av combo

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Pretty good posted:

We can make fun, but it's easy to underestimate the scope of the social changes that happened after Bart Simpson disrespected his elders, the Seinfelds quit masturbating for a week, Kyle called Cartman a dildo, and the seventh seal didn't open. We went from Ray Jay Johnson to It's Always Sunny in the same 30 years as the boom in reactionary evangelical church attendance and the complete dropoff of "normal" church attendance because it was no longer quasi-compulsory.

I'm not saying that popular media pushing against boundaries caused social and political polarization in the US over and above, say, the internet, but it's a huge part of the story. (And of course media market fracturing, so that media people can focus on either the people who think it's funny when sociopaths make each other sad or the people who want unchallenging Christian morality plays without bothering to bring in the other. Before you split FX and Hallmark, you have a couple of networks making sure that the Simpsons go to church on Sundays and all that.)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CodfishCartographer posted:

An old PC game called Virtual Springfield has several of the early games playable. I know the boxing game is playable, I think Larry the Looter is too

Eh more like “advance Larry through the exact actions he took in the episode,” it’s not really a game.

Virtual Springfield would have been a genius idea if it were part of the Fox website in the 90s. As it was felt more like oh no I’ve played for half an hour and run out of things to do and this cost $30.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Pretty good posted:

My mom let me get this shirt, but didn't let me wear it to school because she was afraid that adults would think I was up to something. When the text of the shirt CLEARLY indicates that I was not, in fact, up to anything. :colbert:

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Beef Hardcheese posted:

My mom let me get this shirt, but didn't let me wear it to school because she was afraid that adults would think I was up to something. When the text of the shirt CLEARLY indicates that I was not, in fact, up to anything. :colbert:

I remember a kid in my elementary school had a "I'm bart simpson who the hell are you" shirt and they/their mom had scribbled over hell and written "Heck" with a sharpie

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I never figured out why early Bart merchandise had him wearing a blue shirt compared to his actual drawing being an orange one.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

seiferguy posted:

I never figured out why early Bart merchandise had him wearing a blue shirt compared to his actual drawing being an orange one.

This is a conjecture, but because they kept the blue shirt for the comics, I always assumed that it was because blue ink was cheaper.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In at least some of the Tracey Ullman shorts, including the official drawings of the family, Bart had a blue shirt.

You need a lead time to design and manufacture physical products, especially if it's 1988, so in order to get the stuff on the store shelves they probably had sent some very early drawings to the factories. I assume that somehow the color palette got handed down from these early drawings even as the character designs evolved.

IMO the family above just has too much blue in it. Making Bart's shirt red-orange was a good choice.

Also, looking at this picture this is the first time I've noticed that Lisa wears sandals. I thought for sure it was another design change like Bart's shirt and Marge's dress but nope, her shoes still look like that today.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I like how you can see that Lisa/Marge and Bart/Homer share the same nose/upper-lip shape except it's gotten droopy with age.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Beef Hardcheese posted:

This is still my favorite bootleg Simpsons of all time:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Good thing Matt wasn't upset about that at all