Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

GreatGreen posted:

Is it possible to use mods to completely change out the music of Dragon Quest XI with music from something like an Elder Scrolls game?

I'd like to play it but I sincerely cannot stand how unbelievably terrible DQ11's music is. However playing it with no music at all doesn't seem right either. I suppose I could always just turn on spotify and set it to a jeremy soule playlist or something but then you don't get any combat music.

I'd like to play it too, but for some reason i just find the Dragon Quest games incredibly boring. I can tell that this is a very nice looking version of it, but i got about 4 hours into it (just after the "no-one remembers you" hijinks) and it's just so... bland.

For me, games like this which have fairly simplistic JRPG game mechanics, rely solely on the quality of the story. Does it ever pick up in DQ11 or is it just this for another 80 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kin posted:

I'd like to play it too, but for some reason i just find the Dragon Quest games incredibly boring. I can tell that this is a very nice looking version of it, but i got about 4 hours into it (just after the "no-one remembers you" hijinks) and it's just so... bland.

For me, games like this which have fairly simplistic JRPG game mechanics, rely solely on the quality of the story. Does it ever pick up in DQ11 or is it just this for another 80 hours.
The story and its twists are probably the biggest draw of DQ11, so I can understand you there. Compare to Dragon Quest nine, which had a complex class system and procedurally generated sharable dungeons, I felt it was a bit of a step backwards in terms of gameplay.

The story really is pretty strong, though, for what it's worth. Only read this spoiler if you want to hear about a cool thing that happens which might give you reason to reconsider: MAJOR STORY SPOILER the game pulls a full-on FF6 somewhere in the middle

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kin posted:

play Yakuza: Like A Dragon

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hwurmp posted:

play Yakuza: Like A Dragon

It’s so good. One of the best games of the year easily.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Hell, you should play Like A Dragon even if you do like Dragon Quest XI.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

At that point in DQ XI you've only found one of the companions, barely seen but one region of the world and been introduced to how pep powers work, so.... basically still the tutorial. Which, hey, fair... it's a long game and if you weren't enjoying any of those four hours then maybe it's not for you.

One of the best parts of that game, for me, is the characters and their individual stories/journeys. Both your companions and many of the incidental ones you meet on the way are very good. Most RPGs would bottle these moments up as identical cutscenes with very basic functions but DQ XI goes all out and has nearly all of them voice acted and lovingly animated. That kind of stuff still exists in the side quests, but the amount of content in the game that isn't filler is immense.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ErrEff posted:

At that point in DQ XI you've only found one of the companions, barely seen but one region of the world and been introduced to how pep powers work, so.... basically still the tutorial. Which, hey, fair... it's a long game and if you weren't enjoying any of those four hours then maybe it's not for you.

One of the best parts of that game, for me, is the characters and their individual stories/journeys. Both your companions and many of the incidental ones you meet on the way are very good. Most RPGs would bottle these moments up as identical cutscenes with very basic functions but DQ XI goes all out and has nearly all of them voice acted and lovingly animated. That kind of stuff still exists in the side quests, but the amount of content in the game that isn't filler is immense.

I dunno what JRPG's you've played but i grew up on Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and the like and nothing of what you're saying about identical cutscenes reminds me of anything i've played before over the last 25 years.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I was browsing the screenshots I uploaded on my Steam profile and I chuckled at this one from Tropico 3.

Sometimes you just really want 100%.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ineffable posted:

This isn't true. PoE2 has virtually no attritional mechanics, and in fact went out of its way to adopt an encounter-based design. You might be thinking of the first game, which was much more attritional (and I would agree that it's the worse for it.)

Per Rest powers and wounds are attrititional mechanics and it has a lot of trash encounters in featureless plains that cost neither of those resources and don't provide XP or meaningful loot, which is the very definition of a trash encounter, it has much less of it than the first game, but the encounter design is not anywhere I'd call "good". Playing PoE2 in turn-based mode ends up highlighting that, since the time tax is way higher and I do personally feel that the encounter design and game as a whole would have been better if it was built around that modal from the start. The fact it doesn't use Endurance/Health is an improvement, no question.

It is kind of a shame, because there are a lot of very cool ideas in the mechanics of the Pillars games (and they're both gorgeous). The way each class has its own metacurrency and general mechanics, the relatively agnostic attributes (though Perception is the king stat for most builds), its itemization is positively great and an example other RPGs should follow. Eora is a fantastic setting that made me feel like running a tabletop RPG there every time I visited, but I can't get into the combat at all and it is a huge chunk of the game, which has stopped me from replaying both titles (and finish Tyranny). For people who enjoy the Infinity-Engine like gameplay, which all three Obsidian RPGs improve on, it is indeed a great treat.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Ideally, I'd just have a game with no combat at all and resolve everything through skill checks, like Disco Elysium, though that's just my taste.

I do agree with this take, this isn't the first (and I bet it won't be the last) Obsidian game that would have been a better adventure/CYOA/Visual Novel than the genre it ended up with. I hope more devs look at the commercial success of Disco Elysium and realize you can make games like that.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
PoE2 mostly got rid of per-rest powers. Plus resting no longer takes resources. The main reason I got so into PoE2 is because you can just keep playing for hours without the game stepping in to make you do some lame busywork to refresh your resources. In PoE2, I see resource management as largely a roleplaying tool for the player rather than a core game mechanic.

I agree that turnbased mode takes way too long, but it was literally an afterthought so I wouldn't judge the design on that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I really liked PoE but the sequel was such an improvement I don’t know if I can go back.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't really like either game that much, but I'm sure that it's basically entirely a matter of the setting, because Tyranny was made by the same studio and that game I really do enjoy.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

I didn't really like either game that much, but I'm sure that it's basically entirely a matter of the setting, because Tyranny was made by the same studio and that game I really do enjoy.

I found Tyranny to be way, way harder than PoE for some reason but I enjoyed that one as well. It was definitely more story/reactivity focused than PoE 1 was.

The best way I can describe it by comparing them to old IE games is
PoE is like Icewind Dale- very much focused on combat encounters.
Tyranny is like Torment, where there’s combat but it’s not the focus, instead a lot of it is how you interact with party members and the story, with tons of reactivity
PoE2 is like BG2, where it’s got a real nice balance of combat and fleshing out the story, without focusing super hard on either like the other games do.

I love all three but I can see why any of them wouldn’t work for someone.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's less the reactivity for me and more that there's this exotic, unusual feeling to the game world that really made me want to explore more of it simply to see what I could find. POE as a setting felt so by-the-numbers that I never really wanted to do anything because everything felt like I had already seen it a hundred times over.

I do enjoy the combat as well, though. The magic crafting system in particular makes it super easy to have a varied loadout of abilities ready to go whenever you feel like it and to make more new ones on the fly when you get bored with what you have. It's perfect for someone like me who really appreciates gameplay variety for its own sake.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

It's less the reactivity for me and more that there's this exotic, unusual feeling to the game world that really made me want to explore more of it simply to see what I could find. POE as a setting felt so by-the-numbers that I never really wanted to do anything because everything felt like I had already seen it a hundred times over.

I do enjoy the combat as well, though. The magic crafting system in particular makes it super easy to have a varied loadout of abilities ready to go whenever you feel like it and to make more new ones on the fly when you get bored with what you have. It's perfect for someone like me who really appreciates gameplay variety for its own sake.

The way magic/archons/edicts worked in that was extremely excellent. Magic and edicts especially, where it tied into the beauracratic nature of Kyros’ regime. God drat that setting was weird in a fantastic way.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The way magic/archons/edicts worked in that was extremely excellent. Magic and edicts especially, where it tied into the beauracratic nature of Kyros’ regime. God drat that setting was weird in a fantastic way.
Yeah, it's super creative in every way that POE isn't. Amazing what a difference that can make.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Occultatio posted:

Also hi, I've been completely tuned out from games/this thread for like six months; have I missed any noteworthy releases in either the indie puzzle genre or amazing narrative experiences?

Hello. In September, When the Past Was Around came out and it ticks both boxes. Go check it out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Hello. In September, When the Past Was Around came out and it ticks both boxes. Go check it out.
That's a beautiful art style. I've never seen a game that looked so much like illustrations in the books I loved when I was a child.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, it's super creative in every way that POE isn't. Amazing what a difference that can make.

PoE 1 is a very surface level look at Eora, in a mostly familiar to western RPG players region (fantasy colony-that-just-had-a-successful-revolution). Only at the very end does a little bit of a twist get thrown in.

PoE 2 is an indepth look at the metaphysics that seemed really simple in PoE 1, and the parts that aren't that are set in a very (for most players) exotic locale that they've probably never seen an RPG set in before.

The sequel is a massive improvement is what I'm saying, not just in terms of gameplay. It's that too, but the story is far better, and far better presented.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

POE 2 is definitely much better overall, but it still wasn't enough to pull me in the way Tyranny did. It's very much a matter of it just not clicking with me for entirely subjective reasons. I would happily recommend it to anyone else who likes isometric RPGs. It just wasn't for me personally.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I bought Solasta on early access and while the characters are ugly it's the obsession with piss they all have that's the most offputting so far merry christmas.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

As someone who very much enjoys vancian magic systems and the per rest mechanics of classic isometric games I found PoE1 to be more my style than PoE2.The companions are also way better imo which is a big draw in any RPG for me. Deadfire has the better setting and isn't near as dry as PoE1 is but tbh both games have pretty garbo main quests.

Considering the near obsession with game balance it's also really surprising how easy Deadfire is in general too. You can get near level 10 with barely any combat and the per fight mechanics made combat a cakewalk if you know what you're doing. I didn't even use the empower thing since it was so unneeded.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 25, 2020

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
do i need to play poe1 to understand poe2

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It’s very helpful since it’s an immediate sequel. But there’s a bit of a recap at the beginning and good in-line tool tips to help explain all the proper nouns.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

PoE2 opens on your house getting squished by a giant and you setting off in pursuit of the giant, who is leaving giant footprints behind as a giant trail, which is a good hook, but then you end up settling trade disputes for several hours, which is the beginning of Phantom Menace

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Karma Tornado posted:

PoE2 opens on your house getting squished by a giant and you setting off in pursuit of the giant, who is leaving giant footprints behind as a giant trail, which is a good hook, but then you end up settling trade disputes for several hours, which is the beginning of Phantom Menace
I've never had my own feelings about the game summed up in such a succint manner before, but that's basically like half of my whole problem with it. Even if it's technically proficient writing and good world-building, it just isn't interesting world-building.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
But the beginning of Phantom Menace is thinking you're going to see some nerds discuss trade disputes but instead there's poison gas and laser guns and swordfighting as two knights rescue a princess and escape off planet with the help of a local outcast.

It turns out negotiations were never intended to take place, which is a major letdown imho. Teased us with the promise of serious debate.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Karma Tornado posted:

Suddenly I'm interested in the game despite not liking crpgs basically at all, good job

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Suddenly I'm interested in the game despite not liking crpgs basically at all, good job
It's a hit or miss kind of experience, but if you/ve ever wanted to play an RPG that basically takes place in the Fantasy Caribbean and takes a major critical look at the era of Spanish Colonialism, it's going to be your kind of thing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Karma Tornado posted:

Except in this case it's excellent.

Also something to consider, PoE2 is a straight up gorgeous game (and the rest of the production values is also great), imo the best looking / visually interesting game of the whole competition by a mile.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Oh yeah that too. PoE 2 is doing the Temple of Elemental Evil look that's been cursed for so long and finally proving that it can be done. Going through a dark dungeon with a torch looks incredible.

In fact the whole game is basically "what if Temple of Elemental Evil but it works perfectly".

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 25, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ErrEff posted:

Yeah I really fell in love with DQ11's story and world. I liked how each region had its own kind of vibe, it really nailed the whole "going on a journey" thing.

I want to say that all the companions were great too, but it might just be that I liked Sylvando a whole lot

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I really fell in love with DQ11's story and world. I liked how each region had its own kind of vibe, it really nailed the whole "going on a journey" thing.

I want to say that all the companions were great too, but it might just be that I liked Sylvando a whole lot

Chiming in as another DQXI lover, Erik and I are off to retrieve his orb from the Manglewood and even this early in I am profoundly charmed. It FEELS like I'm playing it on the SNES even though it's 3D and has jumping and such. Towns are built the same way, battles are the same, and I want to go exploring and it feels great. The plot is also simplistic but compelling - just like that era of RPGs.

It's fascinating to me how Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest come from the same stock but have evolved in radically different directions to make some of the best jrpgs ever made - but totally different from each other. It's great.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Do you import your PoE characters into 2?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

Turn based doesn't work at all in poe2, there are too many fights and it just grinds the game to a halt
It also doesn't implement some mechanics form the realtime. Anything that's about attacking more often just straight up doesn't work, you can't really get more than one attack per round.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There are also some pretty serious bugs in turn-based, like if you get into a fight in town, anyone that's not part of the initiative order just continues to walk around in real-time which can interfere with the fight and in at least one case, the entire town's worth of guards gets automatically aggroed. It was an interesting experiment and a great testament to the love put into the game, but ultimately it just doesn't work.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Darkrenown posted:

Do you import your PoE characters into 2?

Yes, and there’s a major desicion chooser if you haven’t played/can’t import. I wasn’t able to import my save because that hard drive carked it but I was able to get super, super close with the backstory generator.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I enjoyed playing through PoE2 in turn-based mode, but I also played when it was technically in beta and had a bug where the player always got two turns in a row at the beginning of every fight, so it may not be as easy now :v:

But then I have a deep hatred for RTWP, so take that with a grain of salt.

DQXI is great, and I cannot even fathom not liking the music. Like it's just fun and bombastic, maybe a little generic? It's utterly inoffensive to me, it makes no sense to get riled up about it. I absolutely loved that game, so charming and fun, easily my favorite in the whole series. It's not doing anything new and innovative, but it's just a really solid JRPG.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Got Dragon Quest XI for the Switch. Any trap/outright bad builds I should stay away from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So is Kentucky Route Zero finished? Or are they adding more episodes?