Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
picked up starcrawlers after seeing a post about the sequel and it's very good. nothing much more to add but I did not expect this game to draw me in so hard and I'm hyped for the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So, unormal, my 6yo daughter is playing Sproggiwood again (she last played it when she was 2 and had fun running around placing pumpkin bombs).

She has now made it far enough in to encounter Twinning Lampreys, and asked me to pass on this message:

"I wish they would make a version of the game with the fish removed, because they're evil and mean and I hate them. Also a version with all the levels or all the characters unlocked right from the start."

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Smart kid 😊 I loving hate those fish.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
cannot argue, those fish are assholes

feel free to tell your kid she's right, and smart :colbert:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Speaking of Jupiter Hell and Getting There as it does:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/811320/view/2945882680469529299

quote:

It's been a bit longer than usual, but we're back to present you a new release of Jupiter Hell - 0.9.6 Terminal! This release features upgraded terminals, enhancements to hacking, stacking elemental damage, 20 new weapon/armor perks, revisited mod pack perk lists and more!

Terminal upgrade
Apart from obvious visual changes, there are also new options, as well as reorganizing old options into modules. You can extract multitools from terminals and stations with charges, but you also can charge terminals with the multitools you have - hence multitools become a universal currency that can be traded for terminal bonuses, health upgrades, mods, ADV equpiment, 'nades or ammo :). You'll also notice that terminals now have more information about their options and the environment. We're also preparing everything for further expansions, expect at least one more top-level module!

Hacking upgrade
Most notably we added the Broadcast option, with information on currently hacked bots, and the ability to mass send commands. Remote Hack will bring up the Broadcast interface if no valid target for hacking is present. Additionally, we improved the behavior of the current commands like HUNT and WAIT. Finally, and probably the most important QOL change gameplay-wise - you won't accidentally hit your bots, nor will they accidentally hit you! Oh, the glory of IFF protocols :P.

Stacking elemental damage
Fire, Bleed and Poison now stack. Be wary as this is a very double-edged sword! This brings elemental perks, items and skills to a whole new damage potential, and gives more value to protection perks, stims and medkits. Let's just say that after the first iteration we had to give the Summoner some poison resistance, as he tended to die from just one gas grenade :P.

New perks and mod pack lists
Each of the 3 basic mod packs (power, bulk and accuracy) now has 5 possible perks - to get to the last (usually strongest) perk, you'll need Whizkid 2. We noticed our perk pool was quite weak with some options - especially shotguns, launchers and helmets, so we added 20 (!) new perks to the pools. 18 of those are accessible via standard mod packs.

The new perks have also been added to the ADV weapon/armor/headslot potential roll lists too!

Grenadier
Finally, as this seems to be a release where Technician finally gets some love, we decided to give him a new Grenadier trait as an icing on the cake :).

Minor changes
The FAST keyword on exalted enemies (especially reavers) has been nerfed. Acid and plasma damage won't damage armor as much as it did. Also, grenades will no longer accidentally hit cover right in front of you (sorry Blind!).

What's next
Next release will be 0.9.7 Expanse, where we will expand the length of the episodes to 7 levels each, add a new tileset, new branches, and overhaul the exotic weapons! The release should be out the 11th or 18th of January - stay tuned!

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Vault of the Void seemed neat at first, but it hasn't grabbed me like StS did. It does a lot of cool stuff, but the classes feel a bit 'overengineered'. It was ok with the first class, but the second was a bit ridiculous when you'd have cards reading like 'Inflict 2 Future Strike thrice and 3 Shii twice, Opener: Echo Wall 1, Zen: Draw 1, Chain'. Shame as the deck builder aspect is a nice twist, plus mechanics like purge, but not a fan of the class design at all.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
that second class is so fun though. you set up chain reaction explosions that clear all enemies in one go and completely gently caress up your next game as a different class when you completely forget how normal blocking works

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I do agree that it has quite the learning curve when it comes time to actually figure out what cards do, but at the same time I always appreciate a digital game actually using it's digital space and coming up with mechanics that would be difficult or impossible to use in a table top card game. Maybe it would be better served by having twice the number of classes but the same number of mechanics? Spread out the stuff people aren't used to, but make sure every archetype gets something new.

Mister No posted:

that second class is so fun though. you set up chain reaction explosions that clear all enemies in one go and completely gently caress up your next game as a different class when you completely forget how normal blocking works

I agree, the second class is my favorite. I love shii and delayed block both.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 23, 2020

perc2
May 16, 2020

There's two archetypes per class atm and they do play quite differently, so it's worth trying both even if your initial vibes on the class is off. Definitely agree the Enlightened has a bit too much keyword salad going on.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

BexGu posted:

Short mini doc series focusing on why a game ( usually a MMO / live service game ) died and/or shutdown. The one on Anthem and Marvel Heroes was pretty good.

https://youtu.be/7PLqjNCtFTU

I did enjoy watching those videos but I quit in disgust after one of the videos was just a disguised ad shilling the MMO the dude was working on (Camelot Unchained). It was supposedly a video on the death of the Camelot whatever game but the video is "Actually the game rules and it's the best by the way I'm working on the successor, Camelot Unchained which is just as good!!!"

That kind of shilling is the worst.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kchama posted:

I did enjoy watching those videos but I quit in disgust after one of the videos was just a disguised ad shilling the MMO the dude was working on (Camelot Unchained). It was supposedly a video on the death of the Camelot whatever game but the video is "Actually the game rules and it's the best by the way I'm working on the successor, Camelot Unchained which is just as good!!!"

That kind of shilling is the worst.

dark age of camelot fans are a devoted people

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Jazerus posted:

dark age of camelot fans are a devoted people

I mean I understand that and would have just shrugged and been annoyed except he had to tie it into shilling Camelot Unchained which was clearly the real purpose of the video.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Mithross posted:

I do agree that it has quite the learning curve when it comes time to actually figure out what cards do, but at the same time I always appreciate a digital game actually using it's digital space and coming up with mechanics that would be difficult or impossible to use in a table top card game. Maybe it would be better served by having twice the number of classes but the same number of mechanics? Spread out the stuff people aren't used to, but make sure every archetype gets something new.

I agree, the second class is my favorite. I love shii and delayed block both.

my favorite is the Corrupted Daughter of the Void, with its slow amplification over time. the only downside is taking 15 minutes a fight gets kind of old.

the keyword popup for each class is overwhelming, but once you get to playing it it makes a lot more sense. i don't know the proper way to do it better, but like Shii is a full paragraph of text, but then you start playing and "oh if Shii is higher than their current HP they explode and spread it around"

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Mister No posted:

my favorite is the Corrupted Daughter of the Void, with its slow amplification over time. the only downside is taking 15 minutes a fight gets kind of old.

the keyword popup for each class is overwhelming, but once you get to playing it it makes a lot more sense. i don't know the proper way to do it better, but like Shii is a full paragraph of text, but then you start playing and "oh if Shii is higher than their current HP they explode and spread it around"

I think my biggest problem with Vault of the Void is not really the gameplay or graphics, but just the half-assedness of it. It wants to both be a beep boop card game where there's nothing between you and the mechanics, but also actually bother with giving names for the characters despite them being completely detached from the actual game. The cards don't really represent anything about the characters and there's zero sense of personality and once you pick your character you have nothing to tie you to them. To use a term from elsewhere, there's no real fantasy. Why are you going into the Vault of the Void? Shrug. What is the Void? Dunno. The fights have small paragraphs to pretend to give them flavor but there's nothing tying them to anything else. They all just kind of exist in a vacuum. I know it's a weird complaint to have about a deckbuilder game, but Slay The Spire does it in a much better way.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
not disagreeing cause i've noticed that too, but does StS really do that sort of thing better? i haven't played it since EA, but even there it felt like "pick a weird looking guy and go kill some heart thing" and anything i understood was just inferred.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister No posted:

not disagreeing cause i've noticed that too, but does StS really do that sort of thing better? i haven't played it since EA, but even there it felt like "pick a weird looking guy and go kill some heart thing" and anything i understood was just inferred.

If you don't read event text it can definitely seem that way.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
For the starting class in StS the card unlocks seem to tell a story, as you go from "slightly creepy standard warrior stuff" to "full-on demonic" over the course of the first few runs.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Mister No posted:

The other two said it pretty well. The cards actually do a lot to give a sense of who the character is. They actually give a good feel for how they fight and their abilities and even a sense of who they are. It's all inferred but it's a lot more clearly realized. It's a lot of little stuff but it really adds up. For example, the fighter guy doesn't really defend himself, and often just takes the blows and accepts the injuries and uses it to strike through his enemy, and has demonic powers.

I couldn't tell you anything about the Daughter of the Void in any sense, not even how she fights. There's nothing to really hook onto the imagination, or give you a clue. And yeah the event text helps with providing a sense of the feel of the world. I do feel like there could be more, but it has something, unlike Vault of the Void where there's... nothing. Like the Daughter of the Void is a great example because the name implies something but since there's nothing it just kind of falls flat and doesn't mean anything.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Jedit posted:

If you don't read event text it can definitely seem that way.

please don't iceberg theory slay the spire. plot might as well just be 'oh boy here I go fighting the flying donut again'

perc2
May 16, 2020

Kchama posted:

I think my biggest problem with Vault of the Void is not really the gameplay or graphics, but just the half-assedness of it. It wants to both be a beep boop card game where there's nothing between you and the mechanics, but also actually bother with giving names for the characters despite them being completely detached from the actual game. The cards don't really represent anything about the characters and there's zero sense of personality and once you pick your character you have nothing to tie you to them. To use a term from elsewhere, there's no real fantasy. Why are you going into the Vault of the Void? Shrug. What is the Void? Dunno. The fights have small paragraphs to pretend to give them flavor but there's nothing tying them to anything else. They all just kind of exist in a vacuum. I know it's a weird complaint to have about a deckbuilder game, but Slay The Spire does it in a much better way.

I really don't think StS makes any effort at building any kind of fantasy or world. It's completely a Gameplay Game. But maybe the classes feel more distinct and flavourful in StS, I agree. I don't think the developer of VotV should be criticised for "half-assedness", they post a lot of about their design approach, new features and a genuine want to make the game engaging and fun. I think if you want lore and worldbuilding you're looking in the wrong place....

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

perc2 posted:

I really don't think StS makes any effort at building any kind of fantasy or world. It's completely a Gameplay Game. But maybe the classes feel more distinct and flavourful in StS, I agree. I don't think the developer of VotV should be criticised for "half-assedness", they post a lot of about their design approach, new features and a genuine want to make the game engaging and fun. I think if you want lore and worldbuilding you're looking in the wrong place....

Narrative and worldbuilding pulls double duty in games, by default. It can be good in the ways that all stories are good, but it's also good because it's just a mnemonic for remembering/internalizing mechanics more easily. I don't think StS is very interested in the first way at all, but does use the second better than VotV seems to.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Finally, they can build Momentum at last on UnderMine---the True Secret to anything remotely Isaac'ish in general~

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/656350/view/5366567019622598085

quote:

Happy Holidays peasants, and Merry Christmas Eve! Santa said you had all been good this year, so he decided to deliver the UnderMine update one day early! We poured a lot of hard work into this one and we hope you enjoy it. Kick back, put on a good cup of coffee, and enjoy the update. You deserve it!

Features:

The Contested Bog
A gate can now be found at the edge of the Shimmering Caverns. It is guarded by two familiar creatures, but they will only allow access when certain conditions are met. Beware! Even if you discover the conditions for entry, a huge challenge awaits. The Contested Bog is home to UnderMine’s most dangerous creatures.

Plunder King
Deep in the Contested Bog, the Plunder King hoards a pile of treasure in his trove. He has become corrupted by his greed, and the corruption spreads throughout the area. Defeat the Plunder King and claim his crown as your own.

Tus, Wandering Minstrel
Tus is a wandering bard that spreads mello vibes wherever he goes. Tip Tus some gold for his efforts. If he deems your tip generous enough you may receive a reward.

Seed Input
You can now check your randomizer seed from the main menu in the Hub. You’ll also be able to generate a new seed, or input one of your own. You can now play the same randomized dungeon layouts as other players using this menu. This feature can be used for Othermine as well by entering a seed after donning the crown, before entering the portal.

Boss Tracker
Once a summoning stone has been lifted, a boss tracker will appear on the pause menu. This tracker will show the status of each boss.

Poison as an Official Element
Poison has been added as an official element. Now items that interact with elemental damage will also interact with poison. For example, Gordon’s Tunic will reduce poison damage. Certain things will cover the ground in poison. If food touches this it will become poisoned itself, with adverse effects!

Blighted Barb
Poisoned rocks will appear in the UnderMine. Destroying these rocks will give the peasant a temporary poison buff similar to Crippling Poison.

Momentary Peril
You may find a mysterious orb in a start room. Interacting with this orb will give you a temporary curse called Momentary Peril. It sets your health to 1, and gives you a certain number of rooms to clear. If you can clear the rooms the curse will be removed and you’ll be rewarded for your efforts.

Other Secrets
Many other secrets await in the Royals update, but we didn’t want to spoil them. Search every corner of the game to find them.

New Enemies
Greedy Pilfer
Corrupted Pilfer
Goblin Engineer
Goblin Scavenger
Noxious Goblin
Gremlin Harbinger
Bishop’s Fish
Rook’s Fish
Queen’s Fish
Bing Bong
Secretion Wurm
Quilled Golem
Bloatfly
Pontiff
Occultist
Hobble Doll

New Items:
Ostiophobia (Curse)
Dead Man’s Switch (Curse)
Hay Fever (Curse)
Shrapnel (Relic)
Heavy Boots (Relic)
M.E.G.A. Bomb (Relic)
Some-Potion (Potion)
Doppelbock (Potion)
Toadvine’s Tonic (Potion)

Bug Fixes
Fixed an issue that would cause your Summoning Stone count to be wrong on the pause menu
Goldmine 1-3 no longer sometimes spawns Dungeon hidden rooms
Fixed a bug that would cause you to drop your potions on the ground after being stabbed by the Gatekeeper
Ghost Pepper Sauce has been re-implemented to no longer quench itself with water and to behave better around Antimatter
Fixed some number clamping issues in the stats tooltips in the Journal
Fixed an issue causing bombs that Selt had eaten to double-explode
The Canary will no longer attempt to collect gold enemies
Bombushka and trapped chests spread their bombs more evenly, rather than always to the northeast
Fixed a minor issue in the Goldmine where water background elements would stop animating when coming back to a room
Fixed an issue causing waterfalls, goldfalls, and sandfalls to not spawn correctly
Fixed a problem with peasant animations that would cause the hit animation to stop displaying after dying
If Tent is disabled via Nullification, you will no longer get a tent in zone start rooms
Fixed some load-order issues around Dark Cloud and Nullification that would cause them to not work properly when reloading from a save file
Fixed a minor issue with Gargoyles that made them distinguishable to fake Gargoyle statues
Fixed an issue where Soul Cannon was not scaling damage on two of its projectiles when used in conjunction with Fork
Explorer's Boots now won't activate while you are standing on things that aren’t the ground
Fixed a bug in the Chaos Familiar’s wheel where the spin audio could get stuck looping if the wheel closed too early
Fixed a long-standing crash that could happen if you interact with a thing on the same frame as it's destroyed
Fixed an incredible Metamorphim bug that would allow you to re-roll your Doll relic just as its last charge was consumed (thank you Priskip!)
Tightened up when and where the AI navigation mesh is rebuilt to prevent certain enemies from spawning or teleporting into inaccessible areas
Improved the logic that tracks the “Drop count” of an item for display in the Journal
Added in some more protection around bad data from hand-edited save files could cause crashes on startup.
Fixed an issue that would cause secret rooms connected to a hidden room (these are referred to as “secluded” rooms) to wind up on the wrong subfloor during floor layout regeneration and be visible on the minimap at the wrong time
Fixed a long-standing issue with the maximized minimap that would make it possible to see secret walls to the east
Thickened up the ground hitbox to prevent fast-falling entities from falling right through
(Linux) Fixed some audio driver incompatibility issues that would cause the game to hang on a black screen when starting up
(Linux) Fixed some Z-testing flags in our shaders that would cause certain graphics drivers to get thoroughly confused when rendering UI elements

Balance Changes
Gordon’s Tunic now reduces poison damage as well
Spinner traps now scale their damage based on the zone they are found in
Arrow traps now scale their damage based on the zone they are found in
Transmute machines in “gambling rooms” no longer add health to their cost when used
Slightly increased rat health in OM
Gremlins have had their AI tweaked and are now much more aggressive
Capture Sphere now adds 5 damage per enemy killed instead of 10
Galoshes and Helios boots now guard against poison on the ground
Added more fury to the Fury Potion
Mjolnir now creates its AOE at the target of the thrown pickaxe. Its cooldown has been removed and its damage decreased
Reduced the damage done by the Eidolon’s level 3 ability

Other Changes
Massive performance and memory optimizations across all areas of the game
The “Hobbled” status effect now has a visual associated with it. Being Hobbled dramatically slows your movement speed and prevents you from jumping
If your controller becomes disconnected, the pause menu will now open
Toxic Scales now deal poison damage
Other Scales now deal poison damage when paired with a Toxic Scale
Spiders now deal poison damage
Vile Pots now deal poison damage
Vile Pot damage is now the same whether they were spawned from a Drude or not
Caustic Vile now spawns a poison blast
Gordon’s Tunic no longer makes a sound when blocking elemental damage
Chests can now be trapped with poison (this does not increase the chance a chest is trapped)
Artifacts have been moved to a subtab of Items in the Journal
Wall gold in the Goldmines now has a halo like other wall gold
Wall gold in the Goldmines now uses normalized damage which means it will always take two attacks to mine
Wall gold and thorium in the Golden Core now uses triggers rather than colliders so that the peasant can’t bump into it
Controller vibration has been normalized and rescaled
Items that have been eaten by ItemEater now shatter when they hit the ground
Oil now uses a different rendering method (and looks better in our opinion)
Bass fly projectiles changed in color so that Bishop and Rook fish can fire projectiles of their color
Sequence Breaker has a new teleport effect in line with other warp effects in the game
Adjusted many FX emitters to work on unscaled time to prevent drawing on the opposite side of the room during transition
Vorpal Blade refacing timings have been improved to better match the visuals

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Good gameplay is flavor. You get a better sense of the StS characters' personalities from how their decks are built, how their mechanics work, how it feels when their combos go off, and so on, than you would from hours of dialogue about their grimdark tragic backstories or whatever.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I've been playing The Ground Gives Way again and enjoying it. There's something about knowing each run is going to be very different that I really like, given there's no character building at all before you start dungeon crawling.

I also like the rest and food mechanic and how it interacts with energy which you use to ID magic items and open stuck doors. Having two more resources in addition to HP and MP leads to a fun decision space.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
TGGW is one of the greatest of the great---you can fashion it as a successor of escalation to Brogue and Forays into Norrendrin, or a thing unto itself, what is absolutely essential is that more projects assume the noble spirit and guise of it.

High hopes for Dungeons of Everchange in 2021, at long last, as nothing else still comes to mind within these glorious wheelhouses outside the likes of Unexplored 2.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Any newer roguelikes to pick up in the winter sale? I've already got and enjoy Hades.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

perc2 posted:

If you note, I didn't criticize any of that as half-assed. Don't be so defensive. I criticized the one part that I feel they half-assed in a way that negatively impacts my experience. They seem like they want world-building and a feel of a story, but the way they do it is basically as half-assed as it gets. The fact that they even try is the problem. If they DIDN'T have any sense of world-building or lore and it was just Beep Boop Mechanics Only, then I wouldn't say a thing. But they clearly trying it have it both ways and it hurts the product. Is it a critical flaw? No, not really. But it's a very obvious negative in my eyes. I, in fact, explained why I feel they build the fantasy. That "distinct and flavorful" part you mention is how you build a class's fantasy. The Slay The Spire cards show the characters actually doing stuff, and make it clear just what's happening. That's good. It builds the character's narrative. It is very much a Gameplay Game but it works to build an atmosphere and if you read the events, there's a world you can actually picture. It could do better, but not only are they trying but they're succeeding and making me want more. That's why I feel STS does it right.

For VotV, they give you three characters, but I really couldn't visualize how any of them fight. There's literally zero art of them outside of the character select screen. Not even their own class cards actually show them fighting, instead opting for largely abstract pictures. The Daughter of the Void's cards are largely just purple-colored skulls and the like. I have no idea of anything about her and the game does nothing to imply or give me any hints to hang onto. It's substanceless and without any sort of flavor. That's why I say it's half-assed. It's done poorly, which is worse than not trying at all.

megane posted:

Good gameplay is flavor. You get a better sense of the StS characters' personalities from how their decks are built, how their mechanics work, how it feels when their combos go off, and so on, than you would from hours of dialogue about their grimdark tragic backstories or whatever.

I do agree with this. You can do a lot with a little, and STS does that.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 25, 2020

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Card Quest is a good example of inferring lore/flavor through mechanics. The classes feel incredibly distinct and fit the 'fantasy', despite it being a card game. Shame apparently the dev has 0 interest in ever doing a sequel, a bigger version of it would basically be my perfect game.
Regarding the above post, agreed with VotV not quite nailing it - the rogue works ok, but not in a particularly original manner, as it's pretty much StS Silent + a combo meter. The other two really don't gel with me at all. Like comparing StS/VotV's 'monk' classes, the Watcher fits the theme with how you flow between stances, build up for a big combo via retain etc, make rapid attacks through recurring 0 cost cards etc, and the retain/scry keywords fit her theme of a meditative martial artist. VotV's one just feels kinda... off? Like I can't picture why most of the cards do what they do.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kchama posted:

If you note, I didn't criticize any of that as half-assed. Don't be so defensive. I criticized the one part that I feel they half-assed in a way that negatively impacts my experience. They seem like they want world-building and a feel of a story, but the way they do it is basically as half-assed as it gets. The fact that they even try is the problem. If they DIDN'T have any sense of world-building or lore and it was just Beep Boop Mechanics Only, then I wouldn't say a thing. But they clearly trying it have it both ways and it hurts the product.

I feel the opposite. It's neat to see all the little bits and pieces of lore that they do have, and how the monsters escalate over time. The events and boss quotes lend to the whole idea that this is an endless loop, and that no matter what happens, you're going to be back, sometimes victorious, and sometimes not. The characters have been trapped in the endless dance for so long that they've even forgotten some of the steps, only to remember them on their journey back to the top. It's just a little touch and dash of flavor on top of a very strong mechanical game, and the game is much better for it.

In my eyes, the epitome of dry gameplay that is absolutely fantastic is the board/card game Dominion. The gameplay is phenomenal, but I can't stand to play it because it's just so damned dry and mechanical. If all the StS cards were just "6 damage" "8 damage, draw a card" "channel a lightning orb" etc., then it wouldn't be nearly as fun to play. Because the cards have different names and art and those names and drawings fit a theme and influence strongly how the character plays, it helps the player to understand how to put the deck together and lets the player know what kind of character each of the different StS characters are.

For instance, mechanically we know that Ironclad has a few things going. Exhaust is a major mechanic, with multiple cards that exhaust other cards, a power that draws cards when you exhaust, a power that makes all skills cost 0 and exhaust, and a card that makes block when you exhaust a card. Adding statuses to the deck is another mechanic, and one that synergizes with being able to exhaust cards, as you will then always have something to exhaust. In addition, there's a power that makes you draw cards when you draw a status, which makes them even less of a penalty to add to the deck. Then there are the self damage mechanics, ranging from self damage for lots of damage, to continuous damage every turn for card draw and more damage. And those synergize with giving strength on taking damage, gaining block on taking damage, and one card that deals damage and heals you, along with the starting relic that heals after each fight.

But the way the cards are named and themed, you have a master swordsman with demonic power. He feeds off of corruption and self-sacrifice, getting stronger and more powerful even as he is draining himself of his abilities, memories, and health by exhausting cards and spending HP. We associate those things with demons, and so it becomes a nice shorthand for a new player to understand what this character is all about, and to embrace the HP loss that otherwise seems quite scary.

The Silent, by contrast, is quick and agile, capable of putting out lots and lots of little attacks, using poison, defending amazingly well, and burning through the deck with card draw and discard mechanics that make her feel more agile. Where the Ironclad is a tank that breaks the enemy on himself and then eats them alive for more power, the Silent focuses on avoiding damage and killing the enemy with a thousand cuts or whittling them down with crippling poison effects until they keel over.

It's good theming, and that little bit of lore does a lot of heavy lifting in making you appreciate the characters and their approach to the spire. The bits of enemy lore and things you learn about them as you ascend is also neat, and makes the game just that little bit more interesting as you progress.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've been playing baroque. it's very baroque

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
StS does have some cute bits of lore. Like the set of +hp artifacts that are all fruit, with reference to how the spire has caused some sort of plant killing blight and so basic fruit items are rare artifacts. Or the alternative dialogue when you encounter Time Eater as Watcher. These are all very minor, but they're enough to hint at a wider, cohesive world.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i've been playing baroque. it's very baroque

i'd get it but I'm very baroke

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Pladdicus posted:

i'd get it but I'm very baroke

Merry Christmas!

Dungeonmans Champion Edition

88E9R-4X964-3VH8K
ARB8C-BCXWL-MQBCD
L5GW8-CQ2JR-Q0I57
N38JJ-85TFC-BN2JA
H4CWY-CZ4GM-6IVBN
8G0TD-K7M6W-57JV2
EQAAI-6MRRT-9ZQ6C
K8YKM-JW746-DCPTX
X7DI5-RQJBE-NP6TL
40KD5-W83AX-D3CKZ
GV4BI-YB3BW-2DK9A
Q6WDL-PAC2D-RTEY2
C2Y0B-NHZIN-GXLLI
0V4L3-NXVD3-2LFB0
M88IN-AKBBE-4JBNR
5KH5N-A8RH7-JEPY7
AEI2H-HBYAM-HXRBB
WPBD0-GLPE5-05W5M
RL4T4-PYNQH-9AWIM
9X9WL-DD6GA-HHH2T
NGW2H-8P2C8-FPA6Q
LB922-0RZYW-GYK76
0A28Z-8WQBA-C4AIZ
VM235-I09PF-587YM
PALWJ-5CBBL-Z4YY9
65KMG-KYCCK-N65HP
R64R2-6FV3K-286M5
6ZJD0-MGB9M-MHLVA

Pay2Lose DLC

QHW35-29TED-GNKWR
JR6T6-JAFY6-LZDN6
XFT20-IY8IG-5JLN7
ZX9J9-MM0IK-GWQ5B
66BAX-QK46H-WNVV0
YAAEJ-DFH2K-6A8JX
H2CV7-BGAVZ-43X5E
PRC77-CC6T0-NKP45
KZ4M0-VAD6Q-NW7RD
T69DN-6JIRD-6W683
AFDC0-ELNYC-B5Q9F
4E3QD-0DBE5-T6QFI
DBBQL-XXXCN-6DA2V
KMPCQ-B5PCM-6YYY0
VKQIR-5CLLC-4FC66
IHC8X-PDZRX-EHJHJ
DK556-INJII-CYTLV
XHWRG-F4C8B-GVNL5
JC5G8-9HDAG-PNQEV
R78DL-RRTV0-546PZ
RY6XX-2KM0A-FBRD8
6B02B-MXQ0Z-9HIHP
5RKAW-52TBE-NFBTP
B6E8A-W4JLY-BI322
LK2MH-0XRYC-TQ947
G4VHH-T4VMX-4KVVB
LDZXL-7V6J5-Q3FWD
7MEKM-QEJE9-Y479Z

Tangledeep

S734L-Z1RC0-NG4M3

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I know I'm a bit late to Synthetik chat, since my husband just got it for me as a present, but I would like to weigh in and say that Raider is the best class - not because it's the most powerful (it isn't), but because it stimulates the screaming bloodthirsty lizard brain in the same way as a dual-melee Steroids run in Nuclear Throne

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

madjackmcmad posted:

Merry Christmas!

quote:

Pay2Lose DLC

LDZXL-7V6J5-Q3FWD

Likewise.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

madjackmcmad posted:

Merry Christmas!

Pay2Lose DLC
PRC77-CC6T0-NKP45
Thanks bud and Happy holidays to you as well.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Angry Diplomat posted:

I know I'm a bit late to Synthetik chat, since my husband just got it for me as a present, but I would like to weigh in and say that Raider is the best class - not because it's the most powerful (it isn't), but because it stimulates the screaming bloodthirsty lizard brain in the same way as a dual-melee Steroids run in Nuclear Throne

I've been liking breacher for that reason, but I'm a big "haha shotgun go brrrr" kind of guy

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

madjackmcmad posted:

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!

I took the first one
88E9R-4X964-3VH8K

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Arzaac posted:

I've been liking breacher for that reason, but I'm a big "haha shotgun go brrrr" kind of guy

Breacher is cool but I gotta have that double dash and invulnerability on dash. Love to parry a rocket-propelled grenade with my face and then kill a main battle tank with my 10,000 credit combat knife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I totally get this, but Breacher just does it so much better for this it makes me kinda sad. My effort post on raider comes from a place of really really wanting to like it!

But yeah, this but with Breacher is my screaming bloodthirsty lizard brain moments in Synthetik. Or Riot Guard after prestige.'

edit: like invulnerability on dash is nice but you just get so much free damage absorption and take half damage from all the things that can kill you (explosions, literally every DOT effect) that when you inevitability gently caress up and get hit it's a lot less punishing.

The free plating and adren rush on a cd if you get low enough health has saved my rear end way too many times that I'm reliant on it unfortunately. :negative: Probably why I have so much difficulty with the other class archetypes tbh.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 26, 2020