Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Stellar Tactics
Imagine Earth
Encased

The only things on Steam I've been interested in for several months, and they're all either EA or just about to leave it soon. Any thoughts, goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I had someone recently that contacted me on discord, stating that he 'accidentally' reported me for buying stolen games or some poo poo.
And he wanted me to contact a person on steam to sort it out.
Weird thing is that I think that person actually possibly might work for Steam.
I could not for the life of me figure out what the scam was.
Reported it and now after like 2 months the person on discord has since deleted or had deleted that account.

Here's the Steam account he tried to get me to contact, if you check his one video you find comments of people saying they also were told to contact him.
I just told the guy ' whatever, if they have a problem they'll contact me'.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/john

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

fappenmeister posted:

Stellar Tactics
Imagine Earth
Encased

The only things on Steam I've been interested in for several months, and they're all either EA or just about to leave it soon. Any thoughts, goons?
People recently talked about Stellar Tactics in this thread and said that it was pretty good. I've actually been interested in it myself, so thank you for pointing out the current discount.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Roluth posted:

Got Dragon Quest XI for the Switch. Any trap/outright bad builds I should stay away from?
I don't really think there are, and respecs are fairly cheap and readily available, so go nuts with your character builds, even if you end up not liking it you can switch things up easily.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dragon Quest XI: you know the ol' jrpg trope where the main character's home town gets destroyed or otherwise messed with? This is the first time where I've actually been upset by that. It pulled a one-two punch on me and oh ---

This game doesn't reinvent the wheel but just does it insanely well and I'm impressed! A lot!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dragon Quest XI: you know the ol' jrpg trope where the main character's home town gets destroyed or otherwise messed with? This is the first time where I've actually been upset by that. It pulled a one-two punch on me and oh ---

This game doesn't reinvent the wheel but just does it insanely well and I'm impressed! A lot!

Yeah that left me in the lurch for a huge chunk of the game. I still want to go back and finish the final 1/3 of it but the difficulty spike going from the first 2/3 to the final bit was too much for me. Got stuck on some boss who just kept endlessly summoning powerful adds and just couldn't ever get back to it. Started up a 2d playthrough now that it's on game pass and I'm not sure 2d is for me, the pacing feels not good compared to the 3d for some reason I can't quite put my finger on.

Also it was very weird to fire up the 2d version of the game and get the opening cutscene in 3d but without any of the voice acting.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

fappenmeister posted:

Stellar Tactics
Imagine Earth
Encased

I have not heard of any of these but now I am interested in all of them.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I was going to play the part of DQXI that I've played before on 2D mode, then switch to 3D for the new-to-me stuff, but I don't like how the menus and text look in the 2D mode. If they weren't going to do a full-on SNES-style presentation, they could have at least kept the menus from the 3D mode instead of making it look like the menu from a flash game or something. I guess it's probably implemented as a separate game running inside the main game or something.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Volte posted:

I was going to play the part of DQXI that I've played before on 2D mode, then switch to 3D for the new-to-me stuff, but I don't like how the menus and text look in the 2D mode. If they weren't going to do a full-on SNES-style presentation, they could have at least kept the menus from the 3D mode instead of making it look like the menu from a flash game or something. I guess it's probably implemented as a separate game running inside the main game or something.
Oh wow, I never even realized that the game has one of those. How do you actually access that from in-game? I can't really remember seeing something hinting at it anywhere.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
GOG have a weird set of deals where the more games you buy from a set list, the bigger the additional discount added on top of the already discounted prices, regardless of the actual cost of the individual games you picked.
So in the Paradox set for example, it's possible to pick up Battletech Merc Edition for effectively 20 euro or so (~80% off) instead of the current 30 (66% off) if you get it with like Europa Universalis 1 and a couple of other ultra-cheap sub-1 buck games. Or Battletech Merc edition and Stellaris Galaxy edition for ~25 euro.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Holy poo poo Sakuna of Rice and Ruin kicks so much rear end I'm surprised I put it off for so long, this might actually require I move my entire ranking around for VG's GOTY thread.

The action's on point, the art and music's incredibly charming, and the actual rice farming process is extremely detailed. This is a lot more involved than, like, a harvest moon sort of thing. You plant each individual seedling. You can change the quality and type of fertilizer for specific stat results come harvest time. You can fiddle with the water level of your rice field to eke out the best results. There's a threshing minigame. There's a rice husking minigame with a mortar and pestle, and how thoroughly you husk your rice determines whether it's brown rice, white rice, or some mix of the two.

Brown rice gang don't @ me, put in the work and get the good poo poo

And again, it's a really smooth and solid action rpg platformer. With parries. And a grappling hook! There's some real labor of love energy going on and I'm here for it.

I might have to put off Anodyne 2 for this, which is a shame, because that has even more labor of love energy, but this is extremely my jam.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

haldolium posted:

no you don't if you were on the internet the past 20 years.

The large amount of people here who fell for it disagree with you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The account that contacts you is always someone from your own friend list, not some rando stranger. It's really very understandable that people would fall for that more easily. You don't expect the account of a person you know, if only in passing, to suddenly turn into a vector for a phishing scam. I haven't really seen that kind of thing since Email worms were still a major concern myself.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xarbala posted:

Holy poo poo Sakuna of Rice and Ruin kicks so much rear end I'm surprised I put it off for so long, this might actually require I move my entire ranking around for VG's GOTY thread.

The action's on point, the art and music's incredibly charming, and the actual rice farming process is extremely detailed. This is a lot more involved than, like, a harvest moon sort of thing. You plant each individual seedling. You can change the quality and type of fertilizer for specific stat results come harvest time. You can fiddle with the water level of your rice field to eke out the best results. There's a threshing minigame. There's a rice husking minigame with a mortar and pestle, and how thoroughly you husk your rice determines whether it's brown rice, white rice, or some mix of the two.

And again, it's a really smooth and solid action rpg platformer. With parries. And a grappling hook! There's some real labor of love energy going on and I'm here for it.

I might have to put off Anodyne 2 for this, which is a shame, because that has even more labor of love energy, but this is extremely my jam.

Brown rice is loving delicious.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I like Stellar Tactics.
I do think it needs a lot more work, but the dev is regularly updating stuff and is responsive in the forums.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xarbala posted:

Sakuna owns

you need brown rice for the best Magic boosts and dinner bonuses; also you'll hardly ever make a trade that costs a multiple of 3 and it's good to be able to make exact change

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh wow, I never even realized that the game has one of those. How do you actually access that from in-game? I can't really remember seeing something hinting at it anywhere.x
It's only part of DQXI S Definitive Edition (the Switch version which has recently come to PC and other consoles). It's currently on Game Pass which is where I'm playing it, after having played about half-ish of the original version on Steam. It turns out I'm so taken by the story and characters that replaying the 40-50 hours I've already played is in no way a chore, and the new content and QoL features of the Definitive Edition are well worth starting over. It helps that I haven't played it in about a year.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Brown rice is loving delicious.

Let's agree to disagree.

Hwurmp posted:

Sakuna owns

you need brown rice for the best Magic boosts and dinner bonuses; also you'll hardly ever make a trade that costs a multiple of 3 and it's good to be able to make exact change

Well, if I must.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Volte posted:

It's only part of DQXI S Definitive Edition (the Switch version which has recently come to PC and other consoles).
Thanks, that would explain it. I guess I'll have to think about whether that would be worth upgrading from my current version for that. I'm not sure I'd want to pay full price for it twice and there seems to be no easy option to just trade up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How is RimWorld and the expansion?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

"Polarizing" is really only good way to put it, I think.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I've tried to get into Rimworld multiple times and every time I just ended up asking myself why I wouldn't just play Dwarf Fortress instead.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Happy Holidays!

Auto*auts:M8*9L-LZZXE-P9BW*
Sun*ess Skies:MYGPF-D*TZ4-9088X
Sun*ess Sea:9*IF9-Z7YAW-66*TP
My Time at *ortia:*09Q8-WMAMZ-0MYRR
Pill*rs of Eternity:NLZHP-7*75B-5BL*6
Moon*ighter:P2DHY-Y8*0K-BP*9D
*uskers:JPCF2-P*BN2-59LAN
Yakuza 0 $=P:M$FCH-RFPWN-8$NDF
*ollow Knight:R2VYW-F2CMZ-*YV79

and I guess enjoy the bad Loss edit I made a few days ago and forgot to post at the time

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 26, 2020

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Hub Cat posted:

Sun*ess Sea:9*IF9-Z7YAW-66*TP

Grabbed this one -- thanks!!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hub Cat posted:

Moon*ighter:P2DHY-Y8*0K-BP*9D
Grabbed that one, I've been curious about it. Thanks, Hub Cat. Interested in a copy of Grim Fandango Remastered by way of a little thank-you?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

How is RimWorld and the expansion?

It's fun but you really need to give it a few hours, think about all your problems with the game and then mod them out. People will tell you that it doesn't need mods but that's like saying you COULD boil a steak and eat it like that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Brown rice is more nutritious than white rice... given the choice the only time I would use white rice is specifically for sushi rice

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

steinrokkan posted:

I've tried to get into Rimworld multiple times and every time I just ended up asking myself why I wouldn't just play Dwarf Fortress instead.

Det_no posted:

It's fun but you really need to give it a few hours, think about all your problems with the game and then mod them out. People will tell you that it doesn't need mods but that's like saying you COULD boil a steak and eat it like that.

Ok fair enough! I think I might let it marinate for a bit. It’s not a deep discount anyway.

It does seem like right up my alley though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Ok fair enough! I think I might let it marinate for a bit. It’s not a deep discount anyway.

It does seem like right up my alley though.
You might want to consider waiting for the Steam version of Dwarf Fortress that is coming very soon (now with graphics! and mouse controls and a proper UI) because I have to say I'm really with steinrokkan there: it feels a lot like playing Dwarf Fortress, but except in terms of accessbility, it's pretty much in every sense the lesser game.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

You might want to consider waiting for the Steam version of Dwarf Fortress that is coming very soon (now with graphics! and mouse controls and a proper UI) because I have to say I'm really with steinrokkan there: it feels a lot like playing Dwarf Fortress, but except in terms of accessbility, it's pretty much in every sense the lesser game.

Yeah it’s been on my list since it was announced but I haven’t heard anything about it so I didn’t think it was that close TBH.

I love DF and I can’t wait for them to get on steam.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I remember reading an interview with them that the main reason they wanted to make a Steam release was so that they could get health insurance, and I wanted to give them money because of that.

That was like a year ago... :ohdear:

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

K8.0 posted:

Steamgoon Rirse has been hit by the scammers. Stop falling for this poo poo people!

Oh poo poo Rirse is still around? I knew him from a pre-SA nerd enclave message board like 15-20 years ago.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I remember reading an interview with them that the main reason they wanted to make a Steam release was so that they could get health insurance, and I wanted to give them money because of that.

That was like a year ago... :ohdear:

I signed up to their patreon despite not having actually played the game in years.

I don’t mind giving those two $5 a month because they absolutely deserve it.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Hub Cat posted:

*uskers:JPCF2-P*BN2-59LAN
Somebody has taken this one.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it’s been on my list since it was announced but I haven’t heard anything about it so I didn’t think it was that close TBH.

I love DF and I can’t wait for them to get on steam.
Our Dwarf Fortress thread regularly has posts new creature sprites that Toady has already finished and stuff like that. There's a fully functional embark screen coded up already, there were screenshots. Things are starting to go pretty fast recently, I think it might be finally be out sometime in 2021.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Hub Cat posted:

Happy Holidays!

Sun*ess Skies:MYGPF-D*TZ4-9088X

Already gone, sadly

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Merry Pissmas friends! Have some random crap!

E?oland 0NCVP-25AZL-?FMGH
Sentience an ?ndroid's tale F83Z?-F49WK-L5?FB
Ico?oclasts 7GGH8-D6P8Y-LD3?I
X-Morph: D?fense K7A4M-?383P-H2PDP
Equil?nox 0?VYL-35ZI8-BDEFD
H?ro of the Kingdom III 7W3XD-73PQ?-N0A9Z
Smok? and Sacrifice GXL?9-LHV5P-D4N5D
Roll?rcoaster Tycoon 2 F536E-KK5HR-9XT3?
Vikings - Wolves o? Midgard 0I8KY-54NQJ-XNMD?
Shadows Awak?ning - 0QFGB-XC9W?-PBP?Q
Magrunne? - 3QTH9-Y3BHV-L67?Q
?ini Ninjas - ?07DC-08HAB-DA46J
Knights of the Old R?public 2 - 5I5JA-WHMWV-F?WH5
?esterday Origins - 6B42D-9H5AA-?PVTE
S?mCity 4 - ?DHPV-IEWGN-LH79C
Death Fungeon - X2PP7-0V5IB-27VJJ
Am?rican Fugivite - 8MRQ0-K4XBK-P0C?C
Ch?cago 1930 - 3?GP7-XYZDW-GF9TF
Rollercoaster ?ycoon 2 - A8VYD-IB?AI-5VMFN
Yakuza K?wami 2 - CH6MP-Y8TTQ-V?LF6
Frog D?tective - 00JAW-TQ?43-563GH
A?a Fell - K7LT3-N76XK-IRD?P
The Deed - K73V4-V9B2Z-8R23H
Star Vikings ?orever - KB5E?-J449P-XTWFW

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cardiovorax posted:

Wait, when did RimWorld become polarizing? It is sitting at like 98% positive reviews.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Hub Cat posted:

Happy Holidays!

*ollow Knight:R2VYW-F2CMZ-*YV79

I had been looking at this for a while now and the code happened to still be available. Thanks and happy holidays!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Cardiovorax posted:

Grabbed that one, I've been curious about it. Thanks, Hub Cat. Interested in a copy of Grim Fandango Remastered by way of a little thank-you?

Oh thanks for the offer but I already have it and way too many other Steam games besides.