Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wagyu literally means japanese cattle. So no. Americans and australians have been importing japanese cows and crossbreeding them, but the reason they're using wagyu as a name is to create brand confusion over the real term for japanese premium steak. Kobe beef, and other beef that's been specially raised to increase it's fat content, marbling, and tenderness.

It's just marketing to charge you more money. It might be slightly better than regular steak, but hardly worth paying a large premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Paul MaudDib posted:

excellent, now we can restart the debate over whether a 4oz steak is completely enough if it's wagyu :unsmigghh:

(see also: is it real wagyu if it's an american cow made from stolen sperm?)

In this case, it was overnighted from Japan. Had the customs stickers and so on.

So ya, it’s real Wagyu near as I can tell based on researching the producer.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

rufius posted:

Today is A5 Wagyu day. I remembered randomly last week that Costco sold A5 Wagyu and I needed a main for Christmas dinner.

Since it’s just my wife, daughter, and SIL, $250 for a couple of Ribeyes seems fine.

I am excited.

:stare:

Holy poo poo - please report in after dinner. How are you cooking them?

I will now look upon my basic bitch prime Ribeyes with sadness. I'm nearing the end of the primal I cut them from :(

But now that I have a chest freezer coming, I can but many more primals! :getin:

ROJO fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 25, 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gaius Marius posted:

Wagyu literally means japanese cattle. So no. Americans and australians have been importing japanese cows and crossbreeding them, but the reason they're using wagyu as a name is to create brand confusion over the real term for japanese premium steak. Kobe beef, and other beef that's been specially raised to increase it's fat content, marbling, and tenderness.

It's just marketing to charge you more money. It might be slightly better than regular steak, but hardly worth paying a large premium.

yup. it's almost sort of like san marzano scam really

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ROJO posted:

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye out for them in person, but haven't seen one.....

Bummer, missed this before I placed an order - maybe I'll swing a return on it. Oh well, thanks anyways!

I got this one at Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-7-0-cu-ft-Chest-Freezer-in-White-HMCF7W4/311895691

It's quite nice

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

My cattle ranching uncle always chuckles a bit at the big deal marketeers make about Angus beef too.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my favourite is a big CORN FED sticker they stick on a ton of beef here in Canada. That's less ideal!!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
CHIEF BEEF

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The worst one is the antibiotic free sticker on chicken. Chicken in the US isn't allowed to be pumped full of antibiotics, and all the stickers have a little asterisk that says that. But people don't read and still think it's a thing.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
For what it's worth, the organic chicken is way better than the regular stuff at Costco. The regular breasts are these huge loving chicken breasts that sometimes have a really odd flavor and texture. I've had to toss many of packages, even fresh ones, because of a really odd taste and texture. Never had that with the organic stuff so at this point i'd rather pay the extra fee to not waste all the food.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

I got the same one!

It's fine. All chest freezers are basically the same.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chest freezers are great but I hate how something always gets buried at the bottom and I have to dig everything out.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get an upright freezer why get a chest freezer

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ShowTime posted:

For what it's worth, the organic chicken is way better than the regular stuff at Costco. The regular breasts are these huge loving chicken breasts that sometimes have a really odd flavor and texture. I've had to toss many of packages, even fresh ones, because of a really odd taste and texture. Never had that with the organic stuff so at this point i'd rather pay the extra fee to not waste all the food.

Check to see if they're injecting them with saline solution, that's the big way to increase weight in the industry

Edit: uprights are significantly less energy efficient.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

bird with big dick posted:

Energy efficiency

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Check to see if they're injecting them with saline solution, that's the big way to increase weight in the industry

Edit: uprights are significantly less energy efficient.

How do I even check for something like that? And it's not all breasts, it's only some of them. I wonder if they are getting the chicken from different farms and mixing them all together during packaging.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Renegret posted:

I got the same one!

It's fine. All chest freezers are basically the same.

One major difference is the cold-tolerance capability. Some of them are "indoor-only" (basically assuming they will stay above freezing) and some are "garage ready" or "indoor/outdoor" and will run down to 0F.

Renegret posted:

Energy efficiency

Yeah chest freezers are great for power outages/etc. Cold air is heavy so a chest freezer forms a "cup" that the cold air sits inside. You can even open them during a power outage and not lose too much heat as long as you're gentle and don't like toss the whole freezer. Also chest freezers are insulated solidly, everywhere but the top (where the cold air won't go), whereas uprights will lose some heat through the door+the seals.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

It's super easy to make a chest freezer into a kegerator, and when a pandemic hits, super easy to convert back.

I miss having two kegerators, but having one full of frozen food is pretty great.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Gaius Marius posted:

The worst one is the antibiotic free sticker on chicken. Chicken in the US isn't allowed to be pumped full of antibiotics, and all the stickers have a little asterisk that says that. But people don't read and still think it's a thing.

you’re thinking of hormones, antibiotics are fine but generally used sparingly. less than half of chickens get antibiotics, advertised or not.

the rotisserie birds show up at Costco raw and injected with brine, the bulk raw parts/birds aren’t unless the label says seasoned, marinated, or something like that

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
How crowded is the church right after Xmas? The TV we got my daughter is completely hosed so I need to do a return sooner rather than later, but also, covid and crowds are bad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you come right when we open and book it right to membership, then back out you should dodge most everyone.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://youtu.be/CGAhWgkKlHI

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ShowTime posted:

How do I even check for something like that? And it's not all breasts, it's only some of them. I wonder if they are getting the chicken from different farms and mixing them all together during packaging.

that's called woody breasts! and it's a growing problem in lovely cheap chicken and no one really knows why it happens. it's gross af

marcopolo
Oct 24, 2010
The Rao marinara and Impossible meatballs was a pro combination - we don't eat a lot of meat anymore but the meatballs were indistinguishable from "real" and they all got scarfed up. Eagerly awaiting the arrival of the impossible breakfast sausage patties, Starbucks has a sandwich with it and it's legit. We tried the Impossible ground "meat" as well, turned it into taco filling, it's pretty convincing as well. The burgers from them that come in an 8-pack have completely replaced beef burgers for us, just gotta pull then off the grill at like 135F. And as always the prices are half what the grocery stores are charging. PBUC.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

marcopolo posted:

The Rao marinara and Impossible meatballs was a pro combination - we don't eat a lot of meat anymore but the meatballs were indistinguishable from "real" and they all got scarfed up. Eagerly awaiting the arrival of the impossible breakfast sausage patties, Starbucks has a sandwich with it and it's legit. We tried the Impossible ground "meat" as well, turned it into taco filling, it's pretty convincing as well. The burgers from them that come in an 8-pack have completely replaced beef burgers for us, just gotta pull then off the grill at like 135F. And as always the prices are half what the grocery stores are charging. PBUC.

I’ve seen (and bought) the 8-pack frozen Beyond Burgers there, do they have Impossible burgers as well?

The biggest issue I have with either is that they are far from health foods - the sodium content especially. Marginally healthier than beef, but that’s the meat I eat by far the least of already.

I would totally try the meatballs & “ground” stuff too though; I haven’t looked to closely whether mine stocks those.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

david_a posted:

The biggest issue I have with either is that they are far from health foods - the sodium content especially. Marginally healthier than beef, but that’s the meat I eat by far the least of already.

I try to see it more as a "assuming beef prices will skyrocket in a decade or so, so I'd better learn to love some alternatives" not as a legit "health" thing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's that, plus weaning Americans away from RED MEAT RED MEAT, reducing that carbon footprint, and nominally hoping that encourages people to try (ugh ew) veggies

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Is there any way to see in store prices without actually going to the store?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The website and the warehouse are two separate commerce platforms, they just happen to sell the same items.

Call up the store with the item number, they’ll be happy to tell you price and inventory.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

david_a posted:

I don’t think being healthier is the primary purpose of the convincing fake meats. I read an article a few years ago about the founder of Impossible Foods, and his primary purpose was to reduce the environmental impact of raising livestock.

https://medium.com/impossible-foods/the-mission-that-motivates-us-d4d7de61665

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

EPICAC posted:

I don’t think being healthier is the primary purpose of the convincing fake meats. I read an article a few years ago about the founder of Impossible Foods, and his primary purpose was to reduce the environmental impact of raising livestock.

My hope is that fake meat is less carcinogenic than red/processed meat. https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/cancer-carcinogenicity-of-the-consumption-of-red-meat-and-processed-meat

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MrQueasy posted:

I try to see it more as a "assuming beef prices will skyrocket in a decade or so, so I'd better learn to love some alternatives" not as a legit "health" thing.

EPICAC posted:

I think it got marketed as a healthier option by primarily by restaurants and half-assed news reporting. I’m mainly annoyed that I can’t make seemingly irresponsible food choices and have science bail me out. What good is this sci-fi food tech if I still have to try to eat healthy! :argh: Bring on the holoburgers!!!1

I think that meat prices should skyrocket due to their environmental cost and I don’t have a conceptual problem with artificial meats. Beef is the obvious first choice to go after since its carbon footprint is so much higher than other meats.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

try this new stuff they got called chicken.

there's no increased cancer risk associated with eating red meat as frequently as once a week. climate apocalypse risk, sure, but fixing that will need us to take control of production, not just find a brand of bean-nuggies we enjoy.

and yes i am enjoying my ham. may the day come soon when its production becomes either safe or impossible.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

The website and the warehouse are two separate commerce platforms, they just happen to sell the same items.

Call up the store with the item number, they’ll be happy to tell you price and inventory.

Thanks will do (just seems like a bother...).

Doc Hawkins posted:

try this new stuff they got called chicken.

If you roast your chicken over charcoal or wood, think you'll still have some issues.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We opted for the Kirkland spiral cut bone in ham this year, and holy smokes was that the right call. Quite possibly the best ham I've ever served.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Costco was very chill today. I expected post holiday madness and it was nothing like that. My Costco also had dozens and dozens of pallets of toilet paper, which I found hilarious when just a few weeks ago people started hoarding it again. They had a new yogurt which i'm excited about. Two Good yogurt. Low calorie/low carb. It's weird to be excited about yogurt but gently caress if it's not my one of my favorite foods and usually loaded with sugar.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Trip report on A5 Wagyu: big hit with all 3.5 of us (3 adults and a toddler).

10 out of 10, Would absolutely buy again for a holiday or special occasion.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

rufius posted:

Trip report on A5 Wagyu: big hit with all 3.5 of us (3 adults and a toddler).

10 out of 10, Would absolutely buy again for a holiday or special occasion.

:hai:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ShowTime posted:

Costco was very chill today. I expected post holiday madness and it was nothing like that. My Costco also had dozens and dozens of pallets of toilet paper, which I found hilarious when just a few weeks ago people started hoarding it again. They had a new yogurt which i'm excited about. Two Good yogurt. Low calorie/low carb. It's weird to be excited about yogurt but gently caress if it's not my one of my favorite foods and usually loaded with sugar.

For the last month I've seen the crazy pallets of water and TP every time in the store but not seeing people stocking up like crazy. I was told only 1 per customer for the paper items when trying to buy paper towels, maybe they're just restricting bulk purchases.

Haven't seen any cleared out areas like back in May yet either. For a few weeks there was literally no rice, beans, or pasta available during the early peak of the hoarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

pentyne posted:

For the last month I've seen the crazy pallets of water and TP every time in the store but not seeing people stocking up like crazy. I was told only 1 per customer for the paper items when trying to buy paper towels, maybe they're just restricting bulk purchases.

Haven't seen any cleared out areas like back in May yet either. For a few weeks there was literally no rice, beans, or pasta available during the early peak of the hoarding.

The second wave of hoarding happened right before the vaccine news hit. After that it started calming down again.