Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I really don't know what I was doing instead of watching Jeopardy in this era, but I really don't remember this set at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I remember it because the guy who looked weirdly like Adam West answers a question about Adam West.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Do people who go on Jeopardy practice roman numeral math? I just could not come up with those answers that fast.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I liked the one that was just adding all the letters together, but yeah, the rest were ooooof

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The square root one was more intuitive imo. You see the ending IV and you know there's pretty much only one sq root they'd realistically give you that would end in 4. I didn't see the rest of the category, but there might have been other stuff like that?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1344349682827333632

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Somebody's been hired

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
He researched, wrote, and published a book on Internet comedy without realizing some of his old tweets were tone-deaf, okay.

(it’s overdue and a good move but I don’t see why he’s dressing it up, just admit you want to clean up to host jeopardy it’s not a big deal)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If he’s been hired he may have been asked to give a PR-vetted apology

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Spokes posted:

He researched, wrote, and published a book on Internet comedy without realizing some of his old tweets were tone-deaf, okay.

(it’s overdue and a good move but I don’t see why he’s dressing it up, just admit you want to clean up to host jeopardy it’s not a big deal)

Yeah, I'd bet it's the PR approved one to get people to stop talking about it. Plus from reading the replies apparently some Trump supporters are pissed at him for making fun of Republicans with incredibly mild jokes so it's probably meant to be a general clean sweep for a wide audience.

I'm not going to be able to dig it up quickly, but last time this came up he basically said the same thing more plainly with regard to the bad wheelchair tweet. That it sounded funnier in his head, he realizes that it sucks and was offensive and mean-spirited, but he felt it was dishonest to just delete it and pretend he didn't screw up. :shrug: It could also be his appearance on The Chase or general rising profile caused somebody to tell him that unless he wants it tweeted at him daily he needs to make a clean break.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, I'd bet it's the PR approved one to get people to stop talking about it. Plus from reading the replies apparently some Trump supporters are pissed at him for making fun of Republicans with incredibly mild jokes so it's probably meant to be a general clean sweep for a wide audience.

He made a tweet mocking the people lying that Barron thought Kathy Griffin had really decapitated his dad when he "saw" the picture (something like Barron saw a pile of ham with a tie on TV and thought it was his dad) and Twitter reactionaries threw a fit and acted like he was mocking Barron. It's the closest I've seen him come to being ratioed.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i honestly doubt it's really worth it to appeal to the kind of people who complain of a perceived liberal bias in a skinner box that gives out money, but corporate decisions aren't always logical decisions.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

lol I just remembered this tweet:

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1024033621143838720

I was hoping this would be a good sign that he got the gig, because I don't think they would have made him do this for a temporary hosting slot (since the deletion is bringing more attention than if he had ignored them). However, I forgot The Chase was starting soon as well. So who knows.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
He's been one of the contestants for MasterMinds for a year already. I don't think The Chase people would care too much. I think it's a J! thing for sure.

I like the apology, but then I do like Ken.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Alex was pretty spot on with his timing in that article from 2018.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Back to back true daily doubles in the finals of a tournament of champions. Roger Craig is amazing.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Well I am ready to cry this week

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1345761844250591232?s=19

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
gently caress, I just about cried reading that tweet.

This is going to be a sad one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hearing him reading off "we love you Alex" always makes the room dusty.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ken seriously needs to just delete his Twitter account holy poo poo.

And then he needs to delete the idea that defending his podcast co-host's racist and anti-Semetic tweets is a good idea.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 4, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
For those who need a TLDR:

https://twitter.com/samoyedcore/status/1345880702240264194?s=21

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LeVar Burton about to get paid.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah thanks for that, sorry for vagueposting.

Also I read about the beans thing and the Ken thing separately and boy was I not ready for those to be the same story.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/BondJohnBond/status/1345877549243658247?s=19

This was how I found out, and gee loving golly what a start to the new year.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Worth noting that Jeopardy hasn't said anything, Ken was never announced as a permanent new host, and so on. That said, this can't be good for his chances of getting the permanent gig.

beans

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Hey google, translate this into English.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

davecrazy posted:

Hey google, translate this into English.

Ken Jennings’ podcast cohost apparently all but starved his daughter because she didn’t know how to use a can opener to open a can of beans and he didn’t help her in order to teach her how can openers work. People dug his Twitter history and he apparently had some anti-Semitic stuff in it. Ken defended him as the usual irreverent humor, which needless to say is a bad look. Beans dad deleted his Twitter soon after.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
His kid was hungry and wanted a can of beans and he refused to make them until she figured out to open the can herself six hours later.

It’s really lovely and I don’t think food should ever be used as an incentive like that but I do think the phrasing of “all but starved” conjures something worse than that

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

christmas boots posted:

His kid was hungry and wanted a can of beans and he refused to make them until she figured out to open the can herself six hours later.

It’s really lovely and I don’t think food should ever be used as an incentive like that but I do think the phrasing of “all but starved” conjures something worse than that

Fair, I was caught up in the Internet hyperbole.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
While I'm willing to let the whole bean dad story slide as a joke and that he didn't actually spend six hours not feeding his child, he literally has dozens of "joke" tweets were the punchline is just "Jews are bad" or "rape is funny" or "black people are criminals". It's obviously stupid poo poo made by a bigot who deleted his Twitter because it's indefensible, but then Ken just tweets "actually he's a good guy and you guys are over-reacting" which is the obviously wrong thing to do, which is pretty embarrassing given that he just had his "I'm sorry for making bad jokes on Twitter" that is rather obviously not genuine.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
my kids go without food for 6 hours every goddamn day. it's like lunch to dinner

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

mennoknight posted:

my kids go without food for 6 hours every goddamn day. it's like lunch to dinner

Well yeah, but in this case she didn't get the lunch.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What is the hell is going on for 200

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Jesus, and here I thought of the podcast hosts I listened to John Roderick would've been on the bottom of the 'likely cancelled' list.

I mean, WAY below Dave Anthony on the Dollop.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

got some chores tonight posted:

While I'm willing to let the whole bean dad story slide as a joke and that he didn't actually spend six hours not feeding his child, he literally has dozens of "joke" tweets were the punchline is just "Jews are bad" or "rape is funny" or "black people are criminals". It's obviously stupid poo poo made by a bigot who deleted his Twitter because it's indefensible, but then Ken just tweets "actually he's a good guy and you guys are over-reacting" which is the obviously wrong thing to do, which is pretty embarrassing given that he just had his "I'm sorry for making bad jokes on Twitter" that is rather obviously not genuine.

1000% this. Like, some of the tweets in question by John Roderick are so loving reprehensible and vile. Even if you consider them as "jokes" they are so offensive.

HE TYPED THE loving N WORD. Like not "the N word", HE TYPED THE N WORD. And somehow that's not even the most offensive of the tweets.

I wanted Ken to be the next host but after this? Not a loving chance.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't think, or at least I hope so, that Ken was aware of everything that's coming up. When he was confronted/replied, all that had come out was a couple of lovely unfunny Jewish jokes, it was before the dad's post history had been thoroughly mined for stuff like the n-word and the rape jokes.

Fwiw this is what Ken's actually tweeted about it so far

https://twitter.com/kenjennings/status/1345844518415814657
https://twitter.com/kenjennings/status/1345875043767578629

needless to say not great but imo not really the same as "he's great you're being hysterical." He accepted the correction well but obv I hope he comes out with something better, especially given the quantity and variety of absolute garbage that's been revealed since.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 4, 2021

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Reading all of this just further reinforces my bewilderment over what the gently caress people get out of using Twitter.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cyril Sneer posted:

Reading all of this just further reinforces my bewilderment over what the gently caress people get out of using Twitter.

bluecheck clout is a hell of a drug

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Cyril Sneer posted:

:yossame:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zakharov posted:

Worth noting that Jeopardy hasn't said anything, Ken was never announced as a permanent new host, and so on. That said, this can't be good for his chances of getting the permanent gig.

It was my understanding that for a while there would be different hosts every week or two until they figured out what to do.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Same with Facebook TBH. I haven't used twitter in over a decade and Facebook in about 6 years now, and I couldn't be happier about it. Social media is brain poison