Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Giuliani moved it to the WTC not long before the attacks despite being warned not to do so, hamstringing the response when the 9/11 attacks happened.

The NYPD wanted it put in Brooklyn, but Rudy nixed that idea, probably because he didn't want to be bothered with going to Brooklyn when the Towers were so close to City Hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Just going to jump over the probability that this is sarcasm, but the cops showed up before the RV went up so it was presumably empty.

e: Cops were on scene, bomb squad was en route.

2e: I'm assuming the RV was stolen, but if they wanted to hit the AT&T building, it means they would have had to rig the thing to transfer most of the force in that direction. That would take time right?

Nope. It takes no effort or training to create a directional charge- it is literally just how you stack them. This isn't OPSEC or anything- it's in numerous wiki articles.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

Nope. It takes no effort or training to create a directional charge- it is literally just how you stack them. This isn't OPSEC or anything- it's in numerous wiki articles.

The idea of cursed favorable geometry shows up a fair bit in the PYF Dangerous Chemistry thread, usually in regards to nuclear weapons...but sometimes with shaped charges too.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Icon Of Sin posted:

The idea of cursed favorable geometry shows up a fair bit in the PYF Dangerous Chemistry thread, usually in regards to nuclear weapons...but sometimes with shaped charges too.

It isn't particularly weird, if you know some maths and physics you can make a boom go how ever you want. It happens so infrequently because the millions of people just in the US who could make a boom, don't want to. Because who the gently caress wants to be a murderer!

It's a really odd attack, small tidbit, I love telecoms archictecture, especially phone exchanges in the UK, there's a huge amount of industrial history about them that's really odd, and wonderful. Thing is, if you knew anything at all about how any big telecoms anything building is constructed you'd know it's got so much reinforced concrete in it it'd take a small nuke to gently caress it up.

So I'm guessing this is a random nutso who got overcharged - like, it almost always is.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SquirrelyPSU posted:

:stonk:

"Yes, our 911 System does not need a redundant backup in case of casualty"

A thing that is so preposterous that it makes my engineer brain throw up a little in my mouth.

Yeah, its a lowest bidder/expense thing as usual.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, its a lowest bidder/expense thing as usual.

I think you mean “a stunning example of public / private partnership resulting in lower costs for the taxpayers” 🙄

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nystral posted:

I think you mean “a stunning example of public / private partnership resulting in lower costs for the taxpayers” 🙄

"How often does the main lines fail, so how much can we save by not having a redundant route/line? I'M A FINANCE GENIUS!" - Some CIO somewhere.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its exceedingly rare that those with the intelligence and skills to apply to evil terrorism actually have life circumstances that lead them too it. (Eg any competent college chemistry student.)

If you're that skilled someone will pay you money to profit off others death totally legally.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

Its exceedingly rare that those with the intelligence and skills to apply to evil terrorism actually have life circumstances that lead them too it. (Eg any competent college chemistry student.)

If you're that skilled someone will pay you money to profit off others death totally legally.

This isn't necessarily the case for home grown / domestic terrorism. There have been a ton of cases where successful or attempted/would-be jihadis had higher education, or were even doctors. Back when jihadis were the main concern of the federal government (so pretty much grom 9/11/2001 to around perhaps 2016), a ton of work was done to come up with a profile of domestic terrorists. It really couldn't be done, demographically. Anyone, regardless of intelligence or education, could be susceptible to radicalization, or self radicalization given the right circumstances. Look at the Fort Hood shooter, he was a psychiatrist.

It's quite similar to mass shooters, in that it's hard to pin down a definitive profile. Though there are definitely similarities for homegrown jihadis, homegrown right wing terrorists, and mass shooters - often there is an isolation or feeling of isolation from society, and a victim complex where they perceive their community (or themselves) is victimized or under attack.

Edit: re reading your post, I have to agree with you, though perhaps I would say "rare" rather than exceedingly rare.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 26, 2020

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

ISIL had specific recruiters to go after people with higher education, and specific fields. It's not uncommon to have jihadist go after that, but it looks more like White Guy poo poo to me. The mimicking of IRA tactics makes me think Angry White gently caress.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Engineers are way overrepresented in terrorist groups.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Current Event: WW84 is a good film that needs a tight 90-105min edit

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Honestly the same could be said of almost every film made these days.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Honestly the same could be said of almost every film made these days.

Yeah, that's why I said that exact thing to my husband at the start of the film and I stand by it. Not every film needs to be 2+hrs, pop corn superhero movies can be distilled down

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I feel like a 911 network should have some manner of redundancy outside of one building.

You'd think, right? Part of my job is both assessing the security of, and writing disaster plan documents for, systems like that. All too often, they have single points of failure because they are - as others have noted in the thread - struggling for every bit of funding they can get. Now, that ATT let them go down at all? That is weird to me. The lack of redundancy I mostly put down to the known shortage of fiber backhauls in rural Tennessee.

It is very weird to me that they can't run the whole datacenter, or at least the 911 systems, on their available generators. Like... this is the sort of thing I would ding an organization for real hard on an audit. You're sort of not in compliance if you can't keep the systems up when the power goes out and you can't demonstrate at least some redundancy. It's kind of a big deal.

Maybe some of their generators wouldn't start.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 26, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Or maybe they evacuated so they could check that the building wouldn't fall down.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

You're a very generous man, Mr. Soapdish.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Most people in the WW84 thread in CD aren't even bothering to use spoiler tags because it's that bad.

https://twitter.com/ItsTheBrandi/status/1342710411607601154

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 26, 2020

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If it makes money it gets redundancy

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Most people in the WW84 thread in CD aren't even bothering to use spoiler tags because it's that bad.

https://twitter.com/ItsTheBrandi/status/1342710411607601154

https://twitter.com/EvelKneidel/status/1342697529876611077

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The kids aren't going to get hit by a missile, she uses an RPG-7 rocket to propel herself (yes, it's as stupid as it sounds) ahead of a train of APCs and armored SUVs that are about to run the kids over.

There are instances with her lasso in WW84 that make the grapple poo poo that's possible in the Just Cause games look plausible by comparison.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The kids aren't going to get hit by a missile, she uses an RPG-7 rocket to propel herself (yes, it's as stupid as it sounds) ahead of a train of APCs and armored SUVs that are about to run the kids over.

There are instances with her lasso in WW84 that make the grapple poo poo that's possible in the Just Cause games look plausible by comparison.

Rocket jumping like it’s Quake 3 Arena? Excellent.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Call me when we see telefrags

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Midjack posted:

Rocket-jumping started in Quake 1, noob.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Rocket-jumping started in Quake 1, noob.

Doom.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Trap sprung grandpa

:corsair:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Midjack posted:

No, as in she magic lassos the actual rocket and uses the momentum of it to launch her into the air. :cripes:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
so no one thought that casting a superhero with a strong Israeli background in a movie where a rocket launcher is fired at soccer playing kids might be a little problematic?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1342837753512402947?s=19

And that man was LTjg Albert Einstein, USNR

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
It would be nice if the GOP wasn't so thoroughly swinging from his nuts and could get him to shut the gently caress up. Otoh, this 10 week whining spree is hopefully taking 2024 votes away from him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

stealie72 posted:

It would be nice if the GOP wasn't so thoroughly swinging from his nuts and could get him to shut the gently caress up.

Why would they? They know their jobs are safe no matter what he does, and ~70 million people agree with him. And if he or some cadre of nutjobs within that 70m actually manages to reverse the election, almost assuredly through violence, hey, it pays to be on the winning side of a coup! :v:

And if that doesn't happen, they'll recant, pretend he had some ~evil hold~ over them and be welcomed into the naive, loving bosom of centrism. In the meantime, they've literally nothing to lose and potentially everything to gain by letting him have his tantrums.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I see we're to the acceptance stage where he's now acknowledging Biden won by calling him a fake president.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

What, Trump a liar? That's new, right?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dude not cool. It was obviously a Marine.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

he forgot sailor!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I remember sailor

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Time Crisis Actor posted:

I remember sailor

Pepperidge farm remembers the sailor...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Time Crisis Actor posted:

I remember sailor

It was a lot better than carrier

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

First Space Force LOR?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/LittleBirdSteph/status/1342895755493838849