Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's only really at the very high end where ADCs can really do anything other than front-to-back. You need to be aware of every single cooldown that's been blown and be able to see an angle that you can approach to ever access the backline safely, and that's something 99% of the people playing ADCs can't ever do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

almost nobody playing at their own elo can do that, adcs still need to be enabled at high elo

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'm at an elo where people's strategy for teamfights is "don't engage until our Twitch comes out of stealth by attacking somebody" so I don't tend to worry about who everyone else is focusing 'cause I know it's probably the wrong answer

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I mean you're lucky, here in gold one "an engage" translates as "well malphite is clearing top and I got caught in enemy bot jungle as support morgana so I guess it's time for a 3v5" *enemy triple kill*

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Vermain posted:

It's only really at the very high end where ADCs can really do anything other than front-to-back. You need to be aware of every single cooldown that's been blown and be able to see an angle that you can approach to ever access the backline safely, and that's something 99% of the people playing ADCs can't ever do.

i have had moments like those and they feel great and are why i love adc even after all the bullshit you put up with. you have to be really drat good to see these opportunities instead of thinking you do and just blindly guessing, and pulling it off is great. but if you are good enough to be able to see positional weakness in the enemy team you dont need the advice of posting superstar "pog boyfriend", and if you arent good enough to be able to see them you shouldnt worry about these things because it will just get you killed

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
What's the actual expected change in winrate or whatever from banning top-tier/meta champs in ranked, compared to banning some champ you personally hate playing against or just not banning at all?

I always insta-slam the "no ban" button in ranked because it's kinda funny and I don't (yet?) have any Hated Enemies
plus I figure it's better to get practice playing against as wide a variety of enemies as possible

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I have banned Lee Sin in every single game for years

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Bleck posted:

I have banned Lee Sin in every single game for years

I do this when Jungling. It’s just not worth the chance of the unbeatable one trick showing you up.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

What's the actual expected change in winrate or whatever from banning top-tier/meta champs in ranked, compared to banning some champ you personally hate playing against or just not banning at all?

I always insta-slam the "no ban" button in ranked because it's kinda funny and I don't (yet?) have any Hated Enemies
plus I figure it's better to get practice playing against as wide a variety of enemies as possible
Kind of hard to say, because at all elos there's people that will play an OP champion that have become savants or one-tricks and equally as many people who are bad at that champion and playing it because it's broken.

Just ban champions you don't want to play against or champions with play styles you don't want on your team. Also ban the newest champion to be released the first two weeks. Since champion releases and patches have slowed way down recently, there's not going to be many surprises

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I ban Mundo every game. No one in my elo can handle a Mundo, unless that Mundo has been huffing paint all day

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Mundo sucks now that grievous wounds is more easy to get honestly. Anyone can literally back at 4 or 5 and come back with a 40% heal cut item regardless of what champ they are.

The real pro bans are Kayle and trynd because it doesn’t matter what happens they will eventually scale enough to 1v5 or splitpush down every lane every 25 seconds.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Drone_Fragger posted:

Mundo sucks now that grievous wounds is more easy to get honestly. Anyone can literally back at 4 or 5 and come back with a 40% heal cut item regardless of what champ they are.

The real pro bans are Kayle and trynd because it doesn’t matter what happens they will eventually scale enough to 1v5 or splitpush down every lane every 25 seconds.

Or Master Yi since my entire team somehow only has 3 slows between us as CC and Yi will get a penta off nothing even if he's 1/5/2

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

his healing isn't really why he's dangerous, it's cleaver spam + getting massive AD at low health

a lot of people still seem to operate on the assumption he's an early pushover but if he manages to get in your face he's one of the most dangerous low-level champs there is

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also getting free magic resist from his E and being able to turn on his W and walk right into the middle of a team and probably get at least a double kill.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

banning is strategic. for example, when i play adc, i am likely to ban jhin because it is strong and picked by many people - but not picked by me. however, if my enemy has pick pref over me, i will actually let jhin slip through because i know i can reliably counter jhin with tristana. by opening up the pick, if the enemy does run jhin, i have a strong counter. on the other hand, if you are playing something top lane that gets hard countered by teemo, you can safely ban teemo to prevent the matchup. there is so much that goes into strategic banning and you arent going to get any meaningful data on it because what is or is not a good ban is personal and tailored to what you are good and bad against.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

u ban a ninja or a samurai or a champ that shits on the champ u like. or, known as the Ezreal Clause, u ban a champ that is popular that you dont want to have on your team

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You ban Blitzcrank because you are a hook magnet.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

im out here dropping sage wisdom and these circus bozos are just posting wacky monkey cheese bullshit. it just goes to show how hosed society has gotten, and it all started when schools stopped teaching homeopathy. gently caress this thread. see you guys in the heroes of newerth thread where they actually appreciate genuine posts. peace.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

pog boyfriend posted:

im out here dropping sage wisdom and these circus bozos are just posting wacky monkey cheese bullshit. it just goes to show how hosed society has gotten, and it all started when schools stopped teaching homeopathy. gently caress this thread. see you guys in the heroes of newerth thread where they actually appreciate genuine posts. peace.

I actually read thru you last comment expecting something funny but only receiveing incredibly useful game wisdom. Thanks

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I actually read thru you last comment expecting something funny but only receiveing incredibly useful game wisdom. Thanks

In a way that makes it a failure, just like my ability to cs

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

pog boyfriend posted:

Is Heroes of Newerth still alive enough to have a thread still?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

It's apparently still reasonably popular over in southeast Asia, but I haven't heard people in the West talk about it for years.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
more like heroes of oldworth. merry christmas

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

so what is the general consensus on the new items? these days i only play aram but the duskblade, goredrinker and kat w/ kraken slayer are too much imo. but again that's just aram, i'm interested to seeing what the pro meta turns into

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Remember when their CEO went absolutely apeshit online? Or how it was somehow even more hardcore than dota? Or half of Empath's lines involved going inside people?

Other than having a community that was somehow more toxic than CS at the time, which was notorious, I do miss that one punch Gauntlet character. His gameplay was sort of like an inverse mobile Blitzcrank and it felt amazing. I guess Sylas is close?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Didn't HoN's dev totally abandon it to go make some other (now failed) moba? They sold it off to another company or something?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Yeah its owned by some Chinese company now. Last time I tried it some Russian guys kept screaming at me to go to war. It hasn't aged well and its really rough on the eyes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
They sold the game and the whole development team to a subsidiary of Garena and then made Strife, which shut down barely three years after launch.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Remember when their CEO went absolutely apeshit online? Or how it was somehow even more hardcore than dota? Or half of Empath's lines involved going inside people?

Other than having a community that was somehow more toxic than CS at the time, which was notorious, I do miss that one punch Gauntlet character. His gameplay was sort of like an inverse mobile Blitzcrank and it felt amazing. I guess Sylas is close?

No support in League is as hilarious as Martyr baiting enemies into poking him to low health then busting out ludicrously high damage Qs.

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Didn't HoN's dev totally abandon it to go make some other (now failed) moba? They sold it off to another company or something?

Please don't speak ill of Strife. There was a guy who pulled a cart named Carter and a little Heimerdinger-lookin guy with, like, a freeze ray and a heat ray named Ray.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CODChimera posted:

so what is the general consensus on the new items?

I like them, by and large. The Mythic options have very easy-to-grasp strengths, but are sufficiently differentiated to allow for opportunity costs that makes building one over the other less clear-cut. Whether you go, say, Kraken vs. Galeforce vs. Shieldbow depends a lot on team comps and individual confidence. I think you'll always have tuning problems with specific champs - Lucian and Kai'sa heavily value Kraken over the other two options due to the nature of their kits - but they otherwise seem to do their job of encouraging people to experiment and mix up their builds.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am morally opposed to both Duskblade and Eclipse on principle (stealth is annoying and I don't know why assassins need percent health damage or shielding) but other than that they're okay now that ADC items are no longer awful.

I do not know what the people who thought that Galebow needed a 2 minute cooldown were thinking. It's still probably the worst ADC mythic at a 1 minute cooldown.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Hellioning posted:

I am morally opposed to both Duskblade and Eclipse on principle (stealth is annoying and I don't know why assassins need percent health damage or shielding) but other than that they're okay now that ADC items are no longer awful.

I do not know what the people who thought that Galebow needed a 2 minute cooldown were thinking. It's still probably the worst ADC mythic at a 1 minute cooldown.

You really have to ask why an item that gives ADCs an on demand dash which can be used in any direction needs a long cool down?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hellioning posted:

Duskblade on Miss Fortune is one of the funnest things in the entire game though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Drone_Fragger posted:

You really have to ask why an item that gives ADCs an on demand dash which can be used in any direction needs a long cool down?

I've seen a few Graves using Galeforce and the extension it gives to his dash is insane. The other flavour of Graves degeneracy is Ravenous Hydra as it now procs on abilities and makes his grenade into an AOE wave clear monster.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Bruisers get a free dash with a 20 second cooldown, so Galeforce doesn’t seem too unfair in comparison.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Smol posted:

Bruisers get a free dash with a 20 second cooldown, so Galeforce doesn’t seem too unfair in comparison.

Bruisers are melee and need to close in to do damage.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Like I flash taunted onto a Jihn as shen, he guessed it was coming and galeforce dashed away and promptly kited me for the rest of the fight, and in doing so got a triplekill.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

Like I flash taunted onto a Jihn as shen, he guessed it was coming and galeforce dashed away and promptly kited me for the rest of the fight, and in doing so got a triplekill.

And this is why Galeforce has a 90 second cooldown. Low mobility ADCs are balanced around having low mobility, and giving them the ability to have even a single dash every fight would completely break that balance in half. 90s is around the sweet spot where it's up often enough for it to be impactful without feeling like you can never get that Jinx or Kog'maw on lockdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Drone_Fragger posted:

Well this is your fault for not taunt flashing