Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Wonder Woman abandoning the world is good because then you don't have to ask "where was Diana during WW2" or "why didn't Diana stop 9/11" or whatever

also the basic thematic parallel with Batman in BvS and so on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm ten minutes into WW84 and this long action scene that's been the entire movie so far could have been done in less than three, is the whole movie this bloated?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Arist posted:

I'm ten minutes into WW84 and this long action scene that's been the entire movie so far could have been done in less than three, is the whole movie this bloated?

Good news you won't have to worry about action for a while.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Good news you won't have to worry about action for a while.

oh noooooooooo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arist posted:

I really liked Kid Diana having to learn humility and the way that WW just kind of glided around in the action scene. Very different physicality than Batman or Superman.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The problem is that it's spending so much time not pushing the narrative forward. It wasn't even clear why we were seeing this at all until she takes the shortcut, and it's much longer than it needs to be even ignoring all that. If it had more interesting character beats it'd be more forgivable, but I honestly found it pretty boring personally :shrug:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arist posted:

The problem is that it's spending so much time not pushing the narrative forward. It wasn't even clear why we were seeing this at all until she takes the shortcut
'This course has felled greater warriors before
"K nbd"

Hm, weird. Something about how her natural skill and abilities ... and taking shortcuts.. to get what she wants but losing sight of the goal... bring overconfident... yeah totally indecipherable.

Steve in 80swear is absolutely hilarious. Costuming must have had a field day.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I got that part. I'm saying the relevant character moments are at the beginning and at the shortcut, with a lot of fluff in between, jeez.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Meh, I liked the spectacle of the games and athleticism. It was a fun way to start.

I'll agree that the action beats run together with the mall scene and heroics afterwards though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

WW84 was loving great and the mid-credits scene had me smiling from ear to ear.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah. I'm about 30 minutes from the end but asking what cost the 80s extracted on our national psyche is fun.

Iono how it would have been received in theatres following the protests this summer.

This is a real good Christmas present, though.
Oh poo poo it's a Christmas miracle, Christmas movie!!!

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 26, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The most 80s thing about Wonder Woman 84 is that it made me realise you could pick pretty much any meathead action lead from that era and they would do a better job of playing Wonder Woman than Gal Gadot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm watching it now and its fine so far. Watching her flip around still looks weird though.

I do like that Diana was friends with Etta Candy her whole life

Cartoon 80s is right though. Feels very much someone who knows the 80s though ads, tv and the movies of the era rather than experienced it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I dunno if the Christmas finale was tacked on but it was really on the nose for 2020. Nice way to close out the year.

I'm assuming any funky timeline stuff is resolved with Max rescinding his wish just wipes a lot of that from memory for people and it just becomes that godawful tense few days with the nuke crisis

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 26, 2020

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Shirkelton posted:

The most 80s thing about Wonder Woman 84 is that it made me realise you could pick pretty much any meathead action lead from that era and they would do a better job of playing Wonder Woman than Gal Gadot.

Ya know, I was thinking about how her swinging around the mall was similar to Commando...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Steve's joy at being in the future is pretty great i have to admit.

Though it is kind of lovely they basically stole a guys life to bring Steve back.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
The CGI on those "WW using lasso on clouds to fly" shots they just kept doing was so bad I'd 100% believe you if you told me it looked sloppy because Gadot was sporting a moustache she is contractually obligated to have for another role that they had to edit out

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wait, WW84 takes place in July? I've been to DC in July and it was swamp rear end city. No way anyone would be wearing long pants or layers.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Retrowave Joe posted:

Ya know, I was thinking about how her swinging around the mall was similar to Commando...

Comparing anything in this film to Commando is deeply insulting to Commando.

I'm choosing to believe the incredibly awkward and stiff CGI swinging when she's trying to save the kids and stuff is just a result of Gal Gadot's personal beliefs shining through and Patty Jenkins hasn't just received some kind of cognitive injury in the last few years.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

WW84 is bad. I'm glad I didn't pay for it in a theater.

Too long, too boring. Looks and feels super cheap.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Steve's joy at being in the future is pretty great i have to admit.

Though it is kind of lovely they basically stole a guys life to bring Steve back.

That part seemed really weird and unnecessary seeing as the magic wishing rock had no problem creating other stuff out of nothing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
WW84 is kind of a weird movie, and I don't really know what to think of the weird...moral?...of like. I dunno. "Don't wish for things, I guess? Be happy with what you have, because it's the truth? Or you'll ruin the world?" I feel the only relevant message at the end of the day is to not use magic stone made by trickster gods that have massive drawbacks.

The mid-credits scene is absolutely not necessary. I love Lynda Carter but that was bizarrely forced.

Still, it's nowhere as bad a film as people here are saying, and all the hyperbole is doing the thing where it just kinda makes me like it more. So :buddy:

Pedro Pascal pretty much steals the film, and I think they did a great job on Cheetah as well. I love the whole Invisible Jet scene, and the fact that they added in her being able to glide on currents and did it pretty well.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pedro Pascal is pretty great. That's about the one positive takeaway I have from the movie.

But you could rewatch like, 3 episodes of the Mandalorian in the same time to watch this movie, and that's a much better use of time to get your Pedro Pascal fix.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or his stunt double, anyway.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Aphrodite posted:

Hawkeye has always been considered a punchline, even when depicted as competent.

Like Aquaman.

It wasn't like Fraction just invented that entire thing.

I like to think of classic Hawkeye as "Wolverine, except not unkillable, and written by writers with less skill". Although to be honest, he's less like comics Wolverine and more exaggerated adaption "YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!" Wolverine

anyway the best version of the character is in EMH because he's both the sassiest avenger and the most frequently dunked on avenger

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

anyway the best version of the character is in EMH

You could write this for basically every character featured on that show though

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Why are the SFX in this movie so bad? They had like two years of post-production and this is what they made?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Why are the SFX in this movie so bad? They had like two years of post-production and this is what they made?

They figured no one would see it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blockhouse posted:

Why are the SFX in this movie so bad?
Lots of bright scenes and no real need to say "she needs momentum like SpiderMan"

I know it's not for everyone but I really like her floaty slidey action scenes.

BrianWilly posted:

WW84 is kind of a weird movie, and I don't really know what to think of the weird...moral?...of like. I dunno.
It's more like you can't shortcut your way through life and even if you think you REALLY, REALLY SUPER REALLY are owed something, maybe you're not, and maybe what you give up to hit that shortcut-gain compromises who you are

Or on a more practical level everyone's concerned with what they're owed that they don't realize how that affects others?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Incidentally, the movie reads alternately very queer but also uncomfortably heteronormative.

I'm sure there will be valid readings for Barbara and Diana being sisterly or friendly to each other and Barbara only thinks Diana is strong and sexy in an envious way but like. Nah. Them's gay. They are pretty gay here. This is the "if they were opposite-gender characters this would be a romcom" theme writ large.

Also Diana sees Max Lord joking around with Barbara and she just. loving despises him. From moment one. There's really no reason for it, at this point he's done zero things wrong that she knows of and still she's just incredibly rude and patronizing to him. Honestly, the only way to read this is that Diana is blisteringly jealous that Barbara has found herself a boyfriend.

Max himself is a single father and we're given no information about his relationship with the mother of his son, except that she has another boyfriend. He struggles to perform masculinity, and his greatest wish is for his son to be proud of him by becoming someone more powerful and beloved than ever. It's not queer, exactly, but there's something decidedly non-normative about it.

Unfortunately, while the Steve sections develop Diana's character most coherently, they also run smack dab into the implication that she would be happy if only she could either A) have her boyfriend alive again, or B) find a way to move on from him...to another man. It's the issue that the other Steve runs into, at the end of Endgame...like, there's a hundred thousand things out there that you could want, there's a bajillion reasons to love the world and to fight for it. But nah, the one true thing that will give you happiness is if you were able to reclaim that one straight romance that you had years and years and years ago.

I mean, Diana does choose to let that go instead of risking the fabric of reality over it, which at least gives her a leg up on Steve Rogers, but still...:sweatdrop:

FilthyImp posted:

I know it's not for everyone but I really like her floaty slidey action scenes.
Oh I absolutely agree with this, I love her gliding smoothly everywhere. It's a really interesting "identity" to her action scenes and feels a lot like how comics WW might actually move around.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 26, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BrianWilly posted:

Incidentally, the movie reads alternately very queer but also uncomfortably heteronormative.
HUGE laugh out of me when Diana is over the moon that Barbara can be so OUT.

Though I took Diana's hatred of Max from the onset as recognizing he's a sleazy scam artist with some kind of agenda, or possibly is just super done with the rich-donor bullshit that permeates her job

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

What a deeply cowardly waste of the seven hours this movie takes to get going to position your story at the climax of the 80s, against the back-drop of the war in the middle east and the politics of the united states and have nothing but some children's show 'lying is bad' bullshit to show for it.

Gutsy when considered next to it's other thesis, though, which is 'Gal Gadot is a good enough actress to carry this story'.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Give Diana another 70 years and she'll crack the mystery of reincarnation just like she figured out two more major superpowers in WW84 after discovering energy blasts in WW1.

There are entire superheroes whose powers are things Diana just decides to try on a whim at age 300. This character is not Wonder Woman anymore.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

If you want an actual queer Christmas film there are options for that, if you want to pretend a movie is queer, you can do that without spending thirty bucks on this blank reel of celluloid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shirkelton posted:

If you want an actual queer Christmas film there are options for that, if you want to pretend a movie is queer, you can do that without spending thirty bucks on this blank reel of celluloid.
My man you are really mad at Wonder Woman.

Chickening out by not doing Ronnie was some bullshit tho

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

My man you are really mad at Wonder Woman.

I know you are, but what am I?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shirkelton posted:

I know you are, but what am I?
Misogynistic?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Misogynistic?

I can't believe I briefly thought I was being too cruel by implying your posting was childish a moment ago.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't know if you notice this but from an outsider's perspective neither of you are looking particularly great right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
WW84 - It's not going to blow your socks off. The stuff below is stuff that kind of stuck out to me, mostly negative, but it is not major stuff.

For the umpteenth time technically a blue beam shooting out into space is the thing that the heroes need to overcome. I'm joking, but really only about half.

Max is broadcasting to EVERYONE ON THE PLANET - in English. and we see people around the world, who we assume do not speak English because they are subtitled, responding to him and making wishes. So the broadcast is techno-magic in that not only does it broadcast to any and every electronic sound and video displaying device, but also translates the message to every spoken language.

And it's nitpicky, but this is also assuming that it is, if not daytime, generally waking hours for everywhere on the planet at the same time. (OK, it's nighttime at the secret broadcast base, but daytime in DC, and in the middle east and in the UK. It could be nighttime in China and the broadcast base, but I kind of think the base is on the East coast.

Why, when Max is using his magic TV powers, doesn't he get teleported to his son when his son says "I wish you were here daddy"? Max mentioned that you can get multiple wishes out of him because the stone was choosing to only grant one turn per user.

Max steps into the blue beam because the camera is broken, but he doesn't need the camera because science magic allows him to broadcast directly using that beam. OK, fine. While he's there, WW cannot hit him with the lasso. We see her fail multiple times. Then she monologues about how wishes hid the truth and they are cheating and bad and wrong and everyone should give up their wishes, and at some point during this, she manages to snare Max's leg, so she manages to hijack the broadcast, because the lasso also can magically broadcast the truth. Okay, I guess.

Taking the classic comic book angle of "If he didn't die on camera he's still alive", is Cheetah completely depowered, or is she just back down to Diana levels of strong? Presumably, Max rescinding his wish undid the wishes he granted (maybe), but all we get out of her is "I - I ...." and then we cut away.

Speaking of Cheetah, I actually liked the way she looked in full Cheetah form. I also liked the white house fight. I disagree that the heel turn for Cheetah is completely out of nowhere. For the first time in her life, she feels strong, and sexy and in control, and before she can even get a grasp on what that entails, here steps in this literal goddess, who has had these powers for her entire life, and says "That's not you. You didn't earn that confidence, or that strength. For the good of everyone else, listen to me and give that up."

What I didn't like is as soon as she is introduced we get Electro from ASM2 all over again. Clumsy, nerdy, awkward and desperate for attention and or affection from anyone. And our hero, being genuinely good, tries to include them and not be a dick. And since this is the only positive feedback or social interaction this person has ever received, they get a little clingy. I'm sick to death of this stereotype.

I liked the joke about learning how to make things invisible and losing the coffee mug. That was great. I like the nod to the invisible jet, that's fun. But, the jet isn't invisible because of Diana's magic "make things invisible" powers. It just is invisible. It would be invisible if Dick Grayson were sitting in it.

I'm cool with WW not knowing how to fly - I'm cool with her learning how to fly. What bothers me is Steve explaining (mansplaining?) to her how to fly. "Oh, well you just catch the wind and ride the current and glide through the air." Motherfucker, you are a pilot, flying a plane, don't try to explain the concept of flight like you are Superman. For all Diana knows she has no way to fly under her own power.

Also, Steve, you were a WW1 pilot. You had never even seen a Jet Plane before, but somehow you are able to fly one. Now, I'm sure mechanically, keeping a jet in the air and keeping a prop plane in the air use a lot of the same rules. And we do see him mess up a couple of switches/buttons when first starting. But this is a technological leap of 70-ish years. Flying might be OK, but I imagine takeoff and landing are a very different beast.

It was nice to see a low body count in a superhero movie and solving the problem with talking about Truth and Love feels very on brand for Wonder Woman. But what becomes of Max? Is he incarcerated?

Again, most of these are minor quibbles, but I don't know that I'll go back for a rewatch anytime soon.