Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

... of DOOM!

*holds up spork*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Katt posted:

I blame Terry Pratchet and Douglas Adams for poisoning a whole generation of content creators with "randomness is always funny"

I think Monty Python was the bigger offender.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Never read Pratchet but Adams never struck me as "random" in any sense.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Republicans posted:

"Absurd" may be a better word for Pratchett and Adams, and absurdity sometimes looks random in the same way that modern art sometimes looks like a toddler made it.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

wizzardstaff posted:

"Absurd" may be a better word for Pratchett and Adams, and absurdity sometimes looks random in the same way that modern art sometimes looks like a toddler made it.

The best word is probably “bad”

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah Invader Zim is probably the more likely cause, as well as being part of that group of kids who communicated almost entirely in Simpsons and Monty Python quotes.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

UZworm posted:

I love the inclusion of the Jupiter-Saturn in there for absolutely no reason, just was in the middle of making his insane comic and was like "oh hey, this is topical"

Agreed.

Gaybees Nomination: Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That’s it. Thank you.

How were all 2000s webcomics the same comic?
The thread makes some good points on causes, but it's also because a handful of comics that (mostly) accidentally had the same basic premise and approach to humor all printed money for a while which inspired a billion copycats.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

a fatguy baldspot posted:

:jerkbag: woah look at this cool guy

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I dunno how well Adams holds up but boy those books were good in jr. high.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Leak, Son of Leak:

China has an import ban on Australian seafood as part of the trade row, hence the cheap prices over Christmas.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

There is only one book from Adams that could be called bad and that one was where he admitted he was in a dark place in his personal life. The rest are some of the best absurdist / satire put to paper. British reader esp n the 70's and 80's would have gotten his targets like local councils, petty bureaucrats, cricket, Fleet Street and Murdoch, plus much more.

Maybe it gets missed when it gets exported to the USA but most of British absurdist humour is actually very cutting social / political satire - also much of the absurdism has it roots in The Goon Show, which is a wonderfully daft radio serial from the 1950's that heavily influenced British comedy.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Republicans posted:

quote:

"Then what's happened to the missiles?" he said. A new and astounding image appeared in the mirrors. "They would appear," said Ford doubtfully, "to have turned into a bowl of petunias and a very surprised looking whale..."
"At an Improbability Factor," cut in Eddie, who hadn't changed a bit, "of eight million seven hundred and sixty-­‐seven thousand one hundred and twenty-­‐eight to one against." Zaphod stared at Arthur. "Did you think of that, Earthman?" he demanded. "Well," said Arthur, "all I did was..." "That's very good thinking you know. Turn on the Improbability Drive for a second without first activating the proofing screens. Hey kid you just saved our lives, you know that?" "Oh," said Arthur, "well, it was nothing really..." "Was it?" said Zaphod. "Oh well, forget it then. OK, computer, take us in to land." "But..." "I said forget it." Another thing that got forgotten was the fact that against all probability a sperm whale had suddenly been called into existence several miles above the surface of an alien planet. And since this is not a naturally tenable position for a whale, this poor innocent creature had very little time to come to terms with its identity as a whale before it then had to come to terms with not being a whale any more. This isa complete record of its thoughts from the moment it began its life till the moment it ended it. Ah...! What's happening? it thought. Er, excuse me, who am I? Hello? Why am I here? What's my purpose in life? What do I mean by who am I? Calm down, get a grip now... oh! this is an interesting sensation, what is it? It's a sort of... yawning, tingling sensation in my... my... well I suppose I'd better start finding names for things if I want to make any headway in what for the sake of what I shall call an argument I shall call the world, so let's call it my stomach. Good. Ooooh, it's getting quite strong. And hey, what's about this whistling roaring sound going past what I'm suddenly going to call my
head? Perhaps I can call that... wind! Is that a goodname? It'll do... perhaps I can find a better name for it later when I've found out what it's for. It must be something very important because there certainly seems to be a hell of a lot of it. Hey! What's this thing? This... let's call it a tailʹyeah, tail. Hey! I can really thrash it about pretty good can't I? Wow! Wow! That feels great! Doesn't seem to achieve very much but I'll probably find out what it's for later on. Nowʹhave I built up any coherent picture of things yet? No. Never mind, hey, this is really exciting, so much to find out about, so much to look forward to, I'm quite dizzy with anticipation... Or is it the wind? There really is a lot of that now isn't it? And wow! Hey! What's this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Veryvery fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like... ow... ound... round... ground! That's it! That's a good nameʹground! I wonder if it will be friends with me? And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence. Curiously enough, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell was Oh no, not again. Many people have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that we would know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why it thinks that is actually a plot point in a later book.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

kids growing up with said media lacked the ability to understand why it was so funny, and they just went with very surface level explanations such as “because it’s random.” Why such notions were never shed in adulthood could be blamed on a variety of reasons, from nerd media being held as sacrosanct and deeper critique shunned to western education typically not being great at teaching students how to understand writing and art in general.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I mean what do you want with something called an improbability drive?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

OwlFancier posted:

Why it thinks that is actually a plot point in a later book.

This. It's also an absolutely absurd idea to run an FTL drive based on creating absolutely absurd coincidences and randomness. It's not lolrandom, it's randomness with a purpose, and the activation of the drive almost always results in some furtherance of the plot or some character development when the improbability affects the characters. Hell, Arthur and Ford are only on the ship because he and the other remaining human in existence chatted at a party, and what the hell are the odds that the only other living human in the universe is not only someone you have met, but is actually right here to rescue you? two to the power of 276,709 to one against

In this case, the scene showcases the power of the drive to save the characters, but also the major dangers that the drive poses, and how activating it is not something that should be done trivially.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mm, the point of the series is kind of that the characters specifically encounter extremely unlikely situations, and have to respond to them.

Which is also a similar point point in the first two discworld books, because the gods of fortune and fate keep pissing about with the main characters so they keep having extremely unlikely encounters that are resolved by equally unlikely methods.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Random is having the petunias and whale appear.

Absurd is then characterising them in their own brief story and having those events link to and drive others.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Poor old Agrajag :(

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I didn't get the "what's so unpleasant about being drunk" joke until a decade later. :negative:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Nothing says Christmas like open calls for insurrection.

Then grab your ar15 and do it Garrison. Calls for blood and revolution are always answered by "well anytime then guy". Definitely more unhinged than usual here though and thats saying something in Garrisons case.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Antigravitas posted:

I didn't get the "what's so unpleasant about being drunk" joke until a decade later. :negative:
I read it long before having any real grasp on what it was like to be drunk so the play on words in "ask a glass of water" was much more obvious.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Axetrain posted:

Then grab your ar15 and do it Garrison. Calls for blood and revolution are always answered by "well anytime then guy". Definitely more unhinged than usual here though and thats saying something in Garrisons case.

It's like the Freep thread. There's a ton of post like "IT'S TIME TO START SHOOTING FEDS!!!! (but not me, i have to mow the lawn this weekend)".

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Erenthal posted:

It's like the Freep thread. There's a ton of post like "IT'S TIME TO START SHOOTING FEDS!!!! (but not me, i have to mow the lawn this weekend)".

And Todd Roll.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Captain Kosmos posted:

And Todd Roll.

What’s incorrect here aside from the art

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

He just does these "someone should do something, not me though" comics and compares them often to Nazis and resistance/jews.

Edit: of course when people where doing something after the George Floyd killing he was complaining about that

Captain Kosmos fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 26, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

the artist

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Old Teddy boy is the grandfather of all whiney left wing web comics.
You shell refer to him as 'Your pathetic lowness'

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Captain Kosmos posted:

And Todd Roll.

"The only choice is violence, peaceful protest doesn't work. Not uh, not me though. I'm no good at the violence. Someone else do the violence"

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Xander77 posted:

"The only choice is violence, peaceful protest doesn't work. Not uh, not me though. I'm no good at the violence. Someone else do the violence"

This pretty much reflects the overwhelming majority of the French resistance at the time. They only really stepped up their game once they realized that the nazis were going to lose the war.

In truth they probably didn't shorten the war by a single day.

The problem with the French of WW2 is that they not only surrendered to the nazi as a state. But as a people. They produced food for the nazis, worked in the nazi factories. Even the french Colonial forces in Africa served the nazis puppet regime.

We like to poo poo on the French for surrendering but the magnitude of their almost total surrender is unimaginable. The entire nation just flipped a switch from service to France to service to the nazis.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Katt posted:

We like to poo poo on the French for surrendering but the magnitude of their almost total surrender is unimaginable. The entire nation just flipped a switch from service to France to service to the nazis.

And you can't blame them for doing so. There never was an alternative.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And according to a friend who toured France in the nineties, whenever the occupation comes up in conversation it turns out that absolutely nobody ever collaborated except old Mr. Vichy and his wife. Absolutely nobody.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

By popular demand posted:

And according to a friend who toured France in the nineties, whenever the occupation comes up in conversation it turns out that absolutely nobody ever collaborated except old Mr. Vichy and his wife. Absolutely nobody.

Denmark was similarly occupied, and I've never heard any stories about collaborators outside of the famous ones, but plenty of heroes. What a strange coincidence.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Nenonen posted:

And you can't blame them for doing so. There never was an alternative.

They could have been less enthusiastic in their political and financial support. Certainly the mobile military units and ships could have defected to Britain. Especially colonial forces.

This is mostly aimed at people in positions of power. Hell Philippe Pétain was a WW1 war hero most noted for as a first class defensive general defending France against Germany. But also workers volunteered to work in German factories in Germany with not too much duress. People in general were all very happy to hand over Jews when for example people in Denmark went through a lot of effort and risk to get Jews to safety.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This one isn't calling for violence and is also 100% accurate

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Katt posted:

This pretty much reflects the overwhelming majority of the French resistance at the time. They only really stepped up their game once they realized that the nazis were going to lose the war.

In truth they probably didn't shorten the war by a single day.

The problem with the French of WW2 is that they not only surrendered to the nazi as a state. But as a people. They produced food for the nazis, worked in the nazi factories. Even the french Colonial forces in Africa served the nazis puppet regime.

I'm Russian. And Israeli. So that's the version I grew up with and now kinda feel like being contrarian about, just for kicks.

But yeah - if and when psychohistory (or political psychology) becomes a real thing, France's experience in WWII will be a fascinating case study.

VitalSigns posted:

This one isn't calling for violence and is also 100% accurate
Thank you for the meaningful contribution to this discussion. Eagerly awaiting sexpig's thoughts on the matter.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 26, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Katt posted:

They could have been less enthusiastic in their political and financial support. Certainly the mobile military units and ships could have defected to Britain. Especially colonial forces.

They hated the British more than they hated the Germans so while some people suggested it, the French government didn't want to do it.

And it's not like most Europeans really opposed Hitler's policies, mostly they were pretty happy to be rid of the Jews and trade unionists and other troublemakers. Nobody likes being conquered but after they lost the battle they had to surrender to somebody and it sure wasn't going to be the British

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I mean the Dutch famously just rolled over for the Germans, while desperately shouting NEUTRAL NEUTRAL to no avail. We had heroic people trying to save as many Jews and others marginalized groups as they could. But we also had pieces of poo poo joyfully working with the Nazis, like my own great (not so great) grandfather. Near enough every occupied territory did.

People will do what seems best to them...America had a sizable nazi movement at the time...like, this is not new.