Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, it's called next-gen for a reason.
PS5 is current gen now my friend. PS4 is "last-gen." Sony believes in generations.

Edit: to be more real it's interesting to see the generation shift from inside the industry this time, during the switch from PS3 to PS4 I'd moved games-adjacent for a few years into Serious Games so the whole change basically passed me by.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It'll be current-gen once I have one standing in my living room and not a moment earlier. :colbert:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I feel like the main driver of how quickly theres a move to ps4 being "last gen" has been CD Project Red trying to talk around the piss poor performance of Cyberpunk on PS4/Xbone.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I ended up playing a few hours of HL: Alyx on my brother’s oculus , flippin heck it’s so so good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it’s awesome.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Sakurazuka posted:

It's not dead til I say its dead

Which won't happen til I find a PS5 loving anywhere

:hai:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's really can't be overstated how much VR really does to make that game an amazing experience. It's what sold me on the idea that there's a real future for the technology other than as a gimmick.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I can only ever play it for an hour or two at a time, it’s too intense!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HL: Alyx was easily my GOTY and even though I was stepping into (another) dystopian world, it was nice to get a change of scenery in the early days of the pandemic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

When will we finally learn how she became tomb raider :argh:

You joke, but, the end of Shadows of the Tomb Raider is pretty much "She Has Become the Tomb Raider" in big neon letters.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I ended up playing a few hours of HL: Alyx on my brother’s oculus , flippin heck it’s so so good

It really is, I can’t believe it’s not getting goty from every game website. Also, it keeps getting better and better until the end, so hopefully you can keep playing it!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You joke, but, the end of Shadows of the Tomb Raider is pretty much "She Has Become the Tomb Raider" in big neon letters.

Unless this involves getting Dual Pistols permanently, I don't buy it

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

It’s a shame I’ll probably never play HL: Alyx. They basically made half life 3 and it’s just. unavailable to me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's a mod that lets you can play it without a VR headset, but it's not nearly as good if you do. It's probably why the game hasn't gotten any real recognition except for a short period of internet buzz: no matter how good it may be, there's simply hardly anyone who can actually play it as intended.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I figured a reasonable end for her character arc will be to realize that tomb raiding is just straight up reverse Robin Hood theft and working to stop other people that do it instead of doing it herself.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's what they did with Carmen Sandiego...

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
so I have PSVR should I be playing Alyx instead of Saints and Sinners

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Shadow of the Tomb Raider made me never want to play another one. I felt like that one was where I had enough of the formula and a lot of it felt tone deaf.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Sjs00 posted:

so I have PSVR should I be playing Alyx instead of Saints and Sinners

It's only on PC.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
So I read a lot of you loving 13 Sentinels, but looking at videos I see a super anime high school drama (which is fine) or I see a city map with approximately 4.9 billion rings and lines and other glowing things. So... what kind of game is it? I liked Valkyria Chronicles which had that sort of gameplay with soap opera breaks; is this similar?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's a visual novel that also has a pseudo-real time strategy game attached. The VN section is the vast majority of the play time and is the main draw, but the strategy game is pretty fun too. It has 3 difficulty modes so it can be as easy or hard as you feel like.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lumpy posted:

So I read a lot of you loving 13 Sentinels, but looking at videos I see a super anime high school drama (which is fine) or I see a city map with approximately 4.9 billion rings and lines and other glowing things. So... what kind of game is it? I liked Valkyria Chronicles which had that sort of gameplay with soap opera breaks; is this similar?
It's fairly comparable to that game, yeah. It's a side-scrolling adventure slash real-time strategy game. The gameplay itself is basically entirely conventional, its claim to fame is mostly the non-linear narrative that tells you the story completely out of order, which can make you re-evaluate a number of important events on the fly as you see something happen in the past that really puts something that happened in a previous chapter you played in a different light.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

boz posted:

It's only on PC.

good i don't think my brain would appreciate the added hours of nausea

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cardiovorax posted:

It's fairly comparable to that game, yeah. It's a side-scrolling adventure slash real-time strategy game. The gameplay itself is basically entirely conventional, its claim to fame is mostly the non-linear narrative that tells you the story completely out of order, which can make you re-evaluate a number of important events on the fly as you see something happen in the past that really puts something that happened in a previous chapter you played in a different light.

It's also just got a fantastic story all round and is well worth your time if you like story-heavy games.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh, sure, I just think it might maybe not have gotten as much attention for it if it had told it in a more conventional format. It's a legitimate narrative technique, but it's also a bit of a gimmick.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Unless this involves getting Dual Pistols permanently, I don't buy it

This happens at the very end of the first modern one and then is never followed up on in either of the two sequels. Kinda bullshit imo!

blackguy32 posted:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider made me never want to play another one. I felt like that one was where I had enough of the formula and a lot of it felt tone deaf.

Same, kinda. It was just...too much. Also the only truly interesting plot parts that feel like they're trying to do an inversion of the formula are the beginning which is great and then the oil field sequence where Lara just goes HAM on an entire mercenary company. This felt very much like they were going for a 'no Lara you are a sociopath' message but then it quickly goes back to her being a spunky good guy.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 26, 2020

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Does anyone here have any experience/thoughts with the PS4 versions of the Beamdog Enhanced Edition D&D games? They don't appear to have ever gone on sale but I've been watching D&D documentaries all day at my dad's house and I'm kind of itching to play again without having to organise things and inevitably having to be the DM.

I'm mostly interested in Planescape: Torment and Neverwinter Nights and the idea of doing that with a controller on my couch sounds nice in theory, although NWN is bundled with Icewind Dale so any thoughts on the PS4 version of that are welcome too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's a real goddamn shame that the whole Valve ecosystem didn't work out on PlayStation. Replaying Portal 2 on pc, that game is just such a goddamn masterwork and it's a bummer that you have to dig a PS3 out of the closet to play it or Half Life on PS. And it sucks PSVR will probably never get Alyx but I don't think it could handle it at all anyways. I think Counterstrike was dead on console in what? A week? Whatever on that one though, I've always thought it was the most overrated game ever.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Redezga posted:

Does anyone here have any experience/thoughts with the PS4 versions of the Beamdog Enhanced Edition D&D games? They don't appear to have ever gone on sale but I've been watching D&D documentaries all day at my dad's house and I'm kind of itching to play again without having to organise things and inevitably having to be the DM.

I'm mostly interested in Planescape: Torment and Neverwinter Nights and the idea of doing that with a controller on my couch sounds nice in theory, although NWN is bundled with Icewind Dale so any thoughts on the PS4 version of that are welcome too.

If you have absolutely no other conceivable way to play it, give it a shot, otherwise, go with the non-console method.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That reminds me, is there every any chance that Ps1 games that were bought though PSN will ever be playable on a later system? Like the above goon said, i'd hate to have to dig my ps3 out and buy a replacement controller so I can play FF Tactics.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

twistedmentat posted:

That reminds me, is there every any chance that Ps1 games that were bought though PSN will ever be playable on a later system? Like the above goon said, i'd hate to have to dig my ps3 out and buy a replacement controller so I can play FF Tactics.

don't count on it. there's no reason why the ps4 couldn't run ps1 games either, but that never happened. (e:thought this was the ps5 thread)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
you could play it on a vita, though :frogbon:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rinkles posted:

don't count on it. there's no reason why the ps4 couldn't run ps1 games either, but that never happened. (e:thought this was the ps5 thread)

Well, fudge.

Rinkles posted:

Lol I bet i could pick up a vita real cheap these days.

Also ages ago I was complaining about my ps4s fan sounding like a B-29 taking off, and some goon said to use headphones. That is a lifesaver. I have real nice JBL headphones that sound really good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rinkles posted:

yeah this is why it's worth keeping a Vita in a drawer somewhere even if you almost never use it. On one hand I could sell it for like $50 I guess, on the other it's basically my no hassle lifeline to the PS1 era not to mention it's somehow still a pretty good portable even in 2020. I almost never use mine but every time I find some reason bust it out I'm like, drat. I'm glad I never got rid of this thing.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I yearn for Alundra

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I think a backwards compatible PS3 + PS5 would cover you for all Playstation games. I scored an earlier PS3 Slim (one of the last ones models that was jailbreakable with CFW) a month ago I've been meaning to downgrade/jailbreak so I can copy all of my discs to the hard drive, which will probably replace my Super Slim.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How does that work for PS2 games? Presumably you’d have to emulate them on a PS3 Slim as it doesn’t have the PS2 hardware inside?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Which is the preferred audio track for ghost of tsushima, english or japanese?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

fridge corn posted:

Which is the preferred audio track for ghost of tsushima, english or japanese?

The game script is so boring you might as well pretend they're saying more exciting things in a language you don't understand. I vote Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The lipsync is English only and if you switch to Japanese VO it will look off, fyi