Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Welp. Have mostly managed to kill my Hunt 4 Season Disc Gravel rear wheel. About half of the wheel looks like this. These wheels are well within warranty so 🤞 that Hunt is willing to stand by their product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

mexecan posted:

Welp. Have mostly managed to kill my Hunt 4 Season Disc Gravel rear wheel. About half of the wheel looks like this. These wheels are well within warranty so 🤞 that Hunt is willing to stand by their product.

I have a cracked axle on a Stan's rear wheel I'm trying to warranty so :respek: wheelbuddy

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i want to build up a SUPER PROFESSIONAL

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Due to the lack of anything from Rapha this year I made stickers I’ll send to the first few goons that finish fwiw.

There’s also this aliexpress kit if anyone wants to buy a china kit
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000564255913.html

The weather is such dogshit where I’m at this year. I might have 2 days during the whole time that isn’t raining or snowing. Up to 14” through Saturday morning. :(

Guess it’s good that virtual miles count this time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

numberoneposter posted:

i want to build up a SUPER PROFESSIONAL

For what?

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Whats a festive 500?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MacPac posted:

Whats a festive 500?

Ride 500km over the next week or so

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Ride 500km over the next week or so

Xmas eve to NYE, so 8 days. 62.5km/39 miles per day average.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

For what?
the idea would be for a dedicated commuter bike as right now all my bikes are not super commuter friendly

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

the idea would be for a dedicated commuter bike as right now all my bikes are not super commuter friendly

I'm proud of you for being able to admit this.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

Why aren't you commuting to work on an S-Works Shiv Disc?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

115km posted for the first day, went up two big hills, just under 1400m of climbing. Was below zero up on top of both of them. Nippy, especially the descents

Not riding tomorrow though, plenty of time without xmas day

You'd never have guessed it was late December in Wales from the pictures, glorious day

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Eejit posted:

I have a cracked axle on a Stan's rear wheel I'm trying to warranty so :respek: wheelbuddy

Update: Hunt is sending me a new rim and will cover the cost for my local shop to do the rebuild.

A+++ would buy again.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
are those hunt wheels carbon rim?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Looks aluminum

Have had some rims crack like that as well (not hunts)and honestly would just rather go with a more solid brand than these lower priced “direct to consumer style”
Just me though plenty of people have no issues

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

ENVE has a lifetime warranty.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Aluminum, yes. These wheels have taken some rather large rock hits as I’ve definitely been pushing the boundaries of under biking/making poor decisions.

While I’m happy with the Hunts in terms of price/performance, my next set of rims will likely be carbon and for my trail bike. We Are One Composites are well regarded, local to BC and also do a lifetime warranty.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Hello cycling goons, I think this is the place to ask for newbie cyclist advice, so here goes.

Up until a few years ago I was very active and fit, mainly jogging. But then life happened and long story short I now have an artificial hip that prevents me from running, and my fitness level has cratered. Bicycling is something I'm looking into as a healthy replacement, but I haven't been on a bicycle since I was a child, so I don't know where to start.

I'm in a rural agricultural area, so I'd mainly be riding around on dirt roads around fields, for an hour or two at a time. I'm thinking I need a mountain or trail bike of some sort. I take it that walking into a Walmart and just buying a mountain bike is probably a bad idea, but I'm an hour and a half drive from the nearest specialty bike shop and it's COVID city where I live so in person bike shopping may be out for awhile either way.

I'm comfortable assembling a bike from an online kit (assuming decent directions.) What are the factors to consider for sizing if I do that, my height, length of my legs, etc? I don't even know what a good price for a quality bike that fits my needs would be, I can sink $500-750 or so if need be. Any recommended models? No idea what to look for or what distinguishes a $250 bike from a $1000 one. Sorry to be shotgunning questions at you all, I read through the first post here and there was lots of good info. Thanks in advance!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Miles McCloud posted:

What are the factors to consider for sizing if I do that, my height, length of my legs, etc?
How far you can reach forward is a big determinant to fit.
It's determined by your arm length, torso length, and how flexibly you can bend your back forward. With your hip, flexibility and accomodating that might be more important.

Very roughly, at a given height, the longer your legs, the shorter your torso and the shorter your reach.
And the higher you'll need to sit, which in turn puts the handlebars further from you.

If you give your height and cycling inseam (measured like so: https://i.imgur.com/5UsI202.jpg), should be able to get you on the right size.

quote:

I don't even know what a good price for a quality bike that fits my needs would be, I can sink $500-750 or so if need be. Any recommended models? No idea what to look for or what distinguishes a $250 bike from a $1000 one.

For dirt roads, you'll want at least 35mm tires, 40 if possible. You don't need suspension, though early on, you might feel like you're punishing yourself by not having it.

The biggest problem you'll face is bike availability. Lots of areas are sold out with every on several month backorder or worse.

This is not a good deal (no major brand is gonna be), but it is about right for your needs: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-2-disc/p/27991/?colorCode=black
Flat bars are generally more upright, you want hydraulic disc brakes for stopping power and less maintenance (though more effort when you need to do it), and 35mm tires.
The 8 speeds is ancient for today, but liveable.

BikesDirect is a direct to consumer brand that has cheaply made frames, some iff component selection, and good prices. You'll def need your mechanical aptitude to put one together correctly and to spot any issues that they shipped the bike with.
This is roughly the same spec as the Trek FX above: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/hybrid-bikes/hybrid-bikes-cafe-disc-comp.htm
Mechanical and not hydro disc brakes, which are fine. And a lot cheaper. But again, you have to know what you're doing when finishing the assembly.
Note that this bike is on preorde, and I wouldn't 100% trust that availability date.

If you go the self-assembly route, take care with it, and ask questions here if you have any doubts.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Day one of the F500 was pretty mundane, did just shy of a 50k on a real flat MUP. The next three days though, are going to be painful.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The FX would probably be a poor choice, imo.

Most people wouldn't enjoy gravel roads on 35s when just starting out and until they really dried out later in the season the tractor paths between sections would be way too muddy for a bike like that. It'd also need a tire swap to something that'd handle mud and dirt right out of the box and a bike like that won't fit much bigger.

Norco Indie, or something else that takes a 2" wide MTB tire or at least has space for a 45-50mm 700c gravel tire.

Or just get a hardtail.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 25, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Depends on what "dirt road" is, but I'm thinking of something that's hard and would not turn to mud when wet.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
A marlin 6 might be a great option. Hydraulic disc brakes and a 2x8 drivetrain with 36/22 in the front and 11-34 in the back isn’t road bike gearing but it’s better for going fast than the 1x10 drivetrain on the marlin 7 with a 28 big ring and 11-46 in the back.

That’s if the big mtb tires are needed. If there’s mud and rough terrain the big tires might be necessary or you could end up walking the bike through the mud. A domane is an option too (if you can find one) sonce they can run up to a 38c tire.

Dren fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 25, 2020

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Thank you for all the detailed information! This is what I mean by dirt roads:

Mud is not a major concern, as the soil drains well. We had several days of rain a week ago and it's already dried up. Gravel is not plentiful around here outside of driveways. I definitely do need tires that are rugged enough to handle some uneven/bumpy dirt terrain, as well as goat head thorns:

My childhood bike would get flats from those thorns, as they are plentiful around here.

I am 6'1 and have an inseam measured using the method in that photo of about 33 1/4. I'm a tall lanky fellow with long arms so I imagine I need an XL size of most bikes.

EvilJoven posted:

Or just get a hardtail.

I wasn't familiar with that term so I researched it and from what I understand it is a mountain bike with only front suspension, and that sounds fine to me. I don't need a fast bike since my main usage will be for exercise, so I mainly just want something that can safely handle roads/trails like the one in my picture. I have near full flexibility with my artificial hip and no other joint issues. Something I can pedal and get my heart rate up while being outside, and not require a lot of maintenance or constant tire repair from the dusty road conditions.

How would something like the 21" model of this bike be for my use case?
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/basecamp-ltd27-mountain-bikes.htm

I have better than average mechanical aptitude so assembly should be doable with a push in the right direction or two if needed. I don't mind waiting a bit for a preorder, I'm not surprised bikes are a hot item right now given global conditions.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You don’t need a MTB to ride those roads and a wider tire in mud isn’t usually the best.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya that isn't really MTB territory. Get a hybrid bike with a bit of a chunkier tire and decent amount of frame clearance if that stuff turns sticky when wet.

Norco Indie
Marin Kentfield 2 (don't get a 2020 they're not great but the redesigned 2021 is good for a gettin around back roads bike)
Kona Dew (ditch the WTB Horizon tires asap they'll skate when that mud is at all wet)

Personally I wouldn't get a more road oriented hybrid because with a wider tire you end up with way less frame clearance and it sucks when your bike gets choked up in mud.

Stealth edit: also ya in that kind of stuff while a narrow tire would kinda suck, too wide would equally suck. A bit of a knobby 35-45mm tire is what you want if it gets slippery out there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Miles McCloud posted:

as well as goat head thorns:

My childhood bike would get flats from those thorns, as they are plentiful around here.
An MTB tire will offer a small amount of extra protection, in that if a goathead sticks into a tread block, that might be enough to prevent a puncture. But treads are not 50% of the exposed contact patch of the tire.

The superior solution is tubeless tires with sealant liquid on the inside. With small punctures, the sealant forces itself into the gap and solidifies.
The problem is that tubeless tires require tubeless compatible wheels, which are not in the $700 range.
You can try to achieve the same effect by filling an inner tube with sealant, but depending on who you ask, that doesn't work as well.

quote:

I am 6'1 and have an inseam measured using the method in that photo of about 33 1/4. I'm a tall lanky fellow with long arms so I imagine I need an XL size of most bikes.
Could be L / 56cm, but you should be good on XL / 58cm if you have bigger wingspan than height or broad shoulders.

quote:

I have near full flexibility with my artificial hip and no other joint issues.
One thing that may help, since you noted you don't have 100% flexibility, is getting shorter cranks. This means the pedals will move in a smaller circle, which translates to your knee moving up and down over a smaller range, and thus over a smaller hip angle. Bikes in your size will never ship with short cranks, though. Just something to keep in mind down the road.

quote:

How would something like the 21" model of this bike be for my use case?
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/basecamp-ltd27-mountain-bikes.htm

The perception that you need a suspension fork for bumpy terrain is overblown. Riding technique (floating above your saddle a bit as you hit bumps, not locking out arms) does a lot, and decently sized tires does the rest. That bike has an unbranded fork, which means it'll degrade to a unhelpful and unserviceable state in short order. There are some Suntour forks that are decent, but if you want a sure thing, go with a Rockshox or Fox fork. Neither of which I suspect will be in your price range.

7-speed componentry is a less desirable proposition -- BD tends to spec lower end stuff, which means it can wear out sooner. At that point, you're facing a sparser aftermarket, where prices don't match the value. That said, it's enough to get going.

Here's a range of rigid bikes that I think are more suitable for you:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/flat-bar-road-bikes/strada-express-24-commuter-flatbar-road.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/disc-brake-road-bikes/kilott-gx-t16-gravel-flatbar-bikes.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/disc-brake-roadbikes/mulekickexcomp-discbrake-flatbar.htm
Only the last is preordering, and is a bit outside your range. It's 11spd with no front shifting, which is the modern spec.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Miles McCloud posted:

Thank you for all the detailed information! This is what I mean by dirt roads:

Mud is not a major concern, as the soil drains well. We had several days of rain a week ago and it's already dried up. Gravel is not plentiful around here outside of driveways.

Just as an aside: when cyclists talk about "gravel" in a general way, as in "gravel bikes" or "gravel riding," they're mostly including just about everything lying between paved roads and dedicated MTB trails. So your dirt roads would be "gravel" in that sense.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Miles McCloud posted:

Aw c'mon nature.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Thank you all for the advice, lots to research and compare now.

marshalljim posted:

Just as an aside: when cyclists talk about "gravel" in a general way, as in "gravel bikes" or "gravel riding," they're mostly including just about everything lying between paved roads and dedicated MTB trails. So your dirt roads would be "gravel" in that sense.

Good to know, thanks!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Day two of the Festive 500 in the books, today was a lot more interesting than 30mi of SoCal MUPs I did yesterday.

Wondering what I got myself into here

Made it to the top

All in all a great way to spend Christmas at work, even if it means being away from home.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Miles McCloud posted:

I definitely do need tires that are rugged enough to handle some uneven/bumpy dirt terrain, as well as goat head thorns:

Schwabe Marathon Plus tires.

Last time we had a outbreak I switched to these. On a 200km brevet I pulled out over 20 of them, no flats.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Easier one today, just enough to keep on track and fitting in the small window I had before Storm Bella rolls in. The Vale of Glamorgan is still pretty flooded, got very wet feets

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008
I'm shocked and amazed to report that I just fitted and inflated a tubeless tyre a moment ago from start to finish in less than 10 minutes. I feel like I should go straight back to bed because I've used up all of my good luck for the day.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I got a synapse 105. Would it be crazy to do some touring on it? Cannondale’s manual says not to but ofc they’re gonna be extra cautious about what they recommend.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dren posted:

I got a synapse 105. Would it be crazy to do some touring on it? Cannondale’s manual says not to but ofc they’re gonna be extra cautious about what they recommend.

Does the Synapse have any mounting points? If it doesn't, you're limited to bikepacking type bags. As long as you're not exceeding the max rider+gear weight the only thing to consider would be how robust your wheels are. Touring rigs usually have wheels with a lot of spokes, and your Synapse is probably on the low side.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Does the Synapse have any mounting points? If it doesn't, you're limited to bikepacking type bags. As long as you're not exceeding the max rider+gear weight the only thing to consider would be how robust your wheels are. Touring rigs usually have wheels with a lot of spokes, and your Synapse is probably on the low side.

It has mounting points for a back rack and I don’t think I’d exceed the max weight. My wheels look like they have about 27 spokes based on cannondale’s pics online.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Those points might be rated only for fenders. A synapse isn't a bike you'd expect someone to put a rack on, normally. Also it'll be a 28 spoke wheel. I'll be honest, a Synapse would make for a not so great touring bike.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

EvilJoven posted:

Those points might be rated only for fenders. A synapse isn't a bike you'd expect someone to put a rack on, normally. Also it'll be a 28 spoke wheel. I'll be honest, a Synapse would make for a not so great touring bike.

That would make sense, the cannondale page says fenders but doesn’t mention a rack. I guess I will take my marlin 7, my hesitation is its biggest gear is 28:11 which doesn’t seem fast enough. Is it feasible to swap the chainring on it to a 36 or something?

Dren fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Could use a frame bag, saddlebag, and bar bag and easily do some credit card touring.