Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think I would easily be defeated by a cheetah in a life or death battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

teagone posted:

It was her "war room" presumably where she bases her superhero operations out of. The WW equivalent of a Batcave. Lol that they made it a closet.

The movie implies she has a command closet where she monitors a few dozen intersections and the local police scanner for crimes while the rest of the world does whatever. She went from hunting the god of war to stop World War 1 to being a local vigilante covering a few square miles while working a day job in antiquities. I wish they had found 5 minutes in that 155 minute run time to give her a proper backstory about being an Indiana Jones archaeologist hunting mischievous god artifacts or something. Maybe a Batman style trophy room with some cursed curios and a throwaway line about seeing something similar to the mcguffin while she was fighting Thule Society wizards during WW2 to keep the war from becoming even worse. Just anything to bridge the 70 year gap

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nix Panicus posted:

Just anything to bridge the 70 year gap

"Gee, that sounds *hard*, and don't you know, it's Wonder Woman 1984! Hey, I know, I'll meet you in the middle and show you Tiny Diana in Themyscira again, okay? It'll explain literally nothing, be only ancillary to the overall plot, and be really silly but it'll look halfway decent and it gave us a good excuse to use Connie Nielsen and Robin Wright again."

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The only good joke was the guy saying it wasn’t safe out because there was too many porsche races

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Do you think any of the 2017 Smithsonian employees wonder why the woman who has worked there at least the 80s doesn't appear to age?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Stairmaster posted:

I think I would easily be defeated by a cheetah in a life or death battle

I mean I'd probably lose to a pit bull but if I'm wishing for apex strength I wouldn't really expect to be turned into a dogman.

She should've been T-Rexah

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"Gee, that sounds *hard*, and don't you know, it's Wonder Woman 1984! Hey, I know, I'll meet you in the middle and show you Tiny Diana in Themyscira again, okay? It'll explain literally nothing, be only ancillary to the overall plot, and be really silly but it'll look halfway decent and it gave us a good excuse to use Connie Nielsen and Robin Wright again."

I thought that was a neat action sequence with an ok lesson attached and I wish it had been connected to the plot in any way except wishing for things is cheating and the only way to advance is to grind yourself to the bone, even if a literal wish granting genie could grant world peace or an end to diseases or whatever. gently caress you, get sick and die while working your rear end off so you can appreciate the glorious truth of hard w- Holy poo poo Zack Snyder worked on this movie, didn't he? I wonder if that explains the weird rear end asides about the lasso being 'truth' and how truth is the only thing there is. A is A motherfuckers.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I was going to say that in the little girl sequence they should have had a cheetah to tie things together as like wonder woman’s fear or something and then I realized Her weakness was being a cheater and I hate that

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005
To be fair to about one certain criticism, the bad stuff does not come from the wishes. It comes from the monkey paw side effect of the wishes. So the message is not about wishing for things, but not achieving your goals in ways that hurt those around you.

Anyway, this movie is baffling in so many other ways. Did they just not care? They had a whole year to edit the movie down and fix effects. They thought this was fine?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

She said she wanted to be "like no other person." An "apex predator."

The Cheetah poo poo literally came from her liking Diana's cheetah-print heels at the beginning, which presumably influenced her clothing choices as she got ~more powerful~. This loving movie.

Honestly, her becoming Cheetah because her crush wore animal prints once might be my favorite part of the movie.

I had hope at that point in the movie because I thought between the early Barbara scenes and the super-goofy mall action scene that Jenkins was doing a full '80s throwback where the whole movie was going to be campy nonsense culminating in ~~~crazy lesbian hijinks~~~

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Nix Panicus posted:

I wish they had found 5 minutes in that 155 minute run time to give her a proper backstory about being an Indiana Jones archaeologist hunting mischievous god artifacts or something. Maybe a Batman style trophy room with some cursed curios and a throwaway line about seeing something similar to the mcguffin while she was fighting Thule Society wizards during WW2 to keep the war from becoming even worse. Just anything to bridge the 70 year gap

Giving a character 100 years of adventures is just not as good as having 100 years of her moping about some dude she knew for a week that died.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Knight Boat posted:

To be fair to about one certain criticism, the bad stuff does not come from the wishes. It comes from the monkey paw side effect of the wishes. So the message is not about wishing for things, but not achieving your goals in ways that hurt those around you.

But the monkey paw side effect is because the movie operates under the assumption that everyone is going to make lovely self interested wishes. Apparently not a single soul on Earth wishes to stop the literal nuclear apocalypse happening in the climax. The missiles are flying, the sirens are going off, and nobody wishes to protect anybody. Its all wishes for cars and or racism or murder. Its cynical as gently caress, yet somehow being exposed to 'the truth' causes everyone to see the error of their ways and renounce their cheating wishes. Its such a baffling caricature of humanity that somebody high up's hosed up personal philosophy has to be at play

A scene where Max can selectively grant wishes and he's only granting the evil wishes would have helped, but theres a scene that *is* in the movie that suggests he doesn't get a choice when he tells his kid to save his wish because he only gets one, then the kid makes a wish for his dad anyways and theres the wooshing wind effect and Max looks sad. Or maybe a scene where people do wish for peace, but then the generals get all mad and wish for the war to start up again. Or really any kind of thought put into the plot at all

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Dec 26, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This pretty much says everything that needs to be said: https://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/2020/12/ww84.html

drat this was really good.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"People are going to be so happy to see a big blockbuster movie after so long without one that they won't care that it's such a jumbled, lazy, disorganized mess."

I'm sure this or something *like* it was said by *someone* at WB during the past year with regards to this movie.

Oh, and it just occurred to me that they stole the jet from a Smithsonian facility (she flashes her ID badge to get in the door) that I'm guessing was *supposed* to be the Udvar-Hazy annex, which didn't loving exist in 1984.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 26, 2020

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Knight Boat posted:

Anyway, this movie is baffling in so many other ways. Did they just not care? They had a whole year to edit the movie down and fix effects. They thought this was fine?

I feel like they were never clear how or what the negative effect of a wish were. Like at some points it seems like you simply lost what you cared most about, sometimes it just seemed like some random bad thing happened and sometimes it seemed like lord needed wishes to be stronger and sometimes it seemed like granting wishes hurt him.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like they were never clear how or what the negative effect of a wish were. Like at some points it seems like you simply lost what you cared most about, sometimes it just seemed like some random bad thing happened and sometimes it seemed like lord needed wishes to be stronger and sometimes it seemed like granting wishes hurt him.

The script did not give any fucks.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

But the monkey paw side effect is because the movie operates under the assumption that everyone is going to make lovely self interested wishes. Apparently not a single soul on Earth wishes to stop the literal nuclear apocalypse happening in the climax. The missiles are flying, the sirens are going off, and nobody wishes to protect anybody. Its all wishes for cars and or racism or murder. Its cynical as gently caress, yet somehow being exposed to 'the truth' causes everyone to see the error of their ways and renounce their cheating wishes. Its such a baffling caricature of humanity that somebody high up's hosed up personal philosophy has to be at play

If I was an evil monkey paw paper weight, I would grant the wish of protecting one person in a way that kills 5 others and grant peace by killing the wisher. There, it’s peaceful now isn’t it? :smuggo:

In fact, showing some of that would have been great dark comedy. But of course, it would have required them to think things through and give a poo poo. And we’ve established that’s not what happened here in making this movie.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Nix Panicus posted:

I thought that was a neat action sequence with an ok lesson attached and I wish it had been connected to the plot in any way except wishing for things is cheating and the only way to advance is to grind yourself to the bone, even if a literal wish granting genie could grant world peace or an end to diseases or whatever. gently caress you, get sick and die while working your rear end off so you can appreciate the glorious truth of hard w- Holy poo poo Zack Snyder worked on this movie, didn't he? I wonder if that explains the weird rear end asides about the lasso being 'truth' and how truth is the only thing there is. A is A motherfuckers.

:chloe:

Snyder wasn’t involved with the screenplay

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

In the comic, Maxwell Lord's power is mind control, but whenever he used it, it would hurt him. He'd get a nosebleed or his eyes would get hosed up. If he did it long enough, he'd die. Eventually, he found the DC equivalent of Cerebro, mind controlled Superman into doing heinous poo poo, and WW had to snap his neck to keep him from doing any more harm.

They literally made a portmanteau of Maxwell Lord and Vandal Savage, the latter of which got his immortality and regenerative powers from sleeping next to a glowing yellow meteorite as a caveman, and became rich and powerful simply because he was able to live long enough to learn not to be as stupid as other DC villains.

Comics are weird.

Here's the death of Maxwell Lord in the comics. It's so much better-written than the movie: https://comicnewbies.com/2017/08/06/wonder-woman-kills-maxwell-lord/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 26, 2020

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

They needed a scene where the free coffee guy goes home to find his wife and children dead

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Man Chris Pine is loving amazing in both of these movies.

My favorite part of the movie (which I loved btw) was when they see the passenger jet flying over and he just gives this gobsmacked little kid look and says, "That's AMAZING!"

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Hobo Clown posted:

They needed a scene where the free coffee guy goes home to find his wife and children dead

Oh no. Their coffee was too hot. It boiled their insides. What has he done!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
WW84 wasn’t terrible, but as others have said, it had bizarre tone shifts and weird pacing. The Ultimate Edition of Batman v Superman was 3 hours long, and it had much better pacing.

Barbara absolutely should have been gay and better written.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I blame Geoff Johns for all the script issues. I'm guessing the only contribution Zack Snyder had to the actual film was suggesting the men who Asteria was fighting off to ensure the Amazons escaped looked like the spartans from 300:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Knight Boat posted:

If I was an evil monkey paw paper weight, I would grant the wish of protecting one person in a way that kills 5 others and grant peace by killing the wisher. There, it’s peaceful now isn’t it? :smuggo:

In fact, showing some of that would have been great dark comedy. But of course, it would have required them to think things through and give a poo poo. And we’ve established that’s not what happened here in making this movie.

The core message, the one Gal Gadot stares directly into the camera at the audience to deliver, is that wishing for things is bad, and you have to work and toil to get anything. Unless, of course, you happen to be born rich, or with good bone structure, or any of the other unearned advantages the privileged take for granted. But wishing for things is bad, get back to work

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Nix Panicus posted:

The core message, the one Gal Gadot stares directly into the camera at the audience to deliver, is that wishing for things is bad, and you have to work and toil to get anything. Unless, of course, you happen to be born rich, or with good bone structure, or any of the other unearned advantages the privileged take for granted. But wishing for things is bad, get back to work

Don't forget the fact that Maxwell Lord (an obvious Trump analog) suffers absolutely no consequences for his actions because he decides to give up ultimate power to go hug his kid in a field.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Equeen posted:

:chloe:

Snyder wasn’t involved with the screenplay

There is a story credit for Geoff Johns, however.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Nix Panicus posted:

You have to give up your newfound empowerment Barbara as a strong independent woman because you can't handle the responsibility and weight that I, Wonder Woman, have to deal with as a naturally beautiful woman with superpowers.

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.
https://twitter.com/IntelligntSteak/status/1342842940171956229?s=19

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Harlock posted:

You have to give up your newfound empowerment Barbara as a strong independent woman because you can't handle the responsibility and weight that I, Wonder Woman, have to deal with as a naturally beautiful woman with superpowers.

You kicked a rapist Barbara. A rapist! What's next, a murderer? A robber baron? A pedophile!? Where does it stop Barbara!?

Yeah I thought they were doing an 80s parody at first, but no they played it straight, which seems wild for a movie released in 2020.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Harlock posted:

"Look at you, you wanted so much power that now you look like a Mystique that can't change herself into anything but a lovely Cheetara Thundercats cosplay. This is what happens when a 'five' wishes to be a 'ten' like me."

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Well that was certainly not good.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Hobo Clown posted:

Do you think any of the 2017 Smithsonian employees wonder why the woman who has worked there at least the 80s doesn't appear to age?

In Justice League she’s working at The Louvre so I guess she switched careers.

It bothers me that they’ve stopped using DC Comics cities in these things.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
The Cheetah fight would've had way more tension if it was a depowered Wonder Woman willing with cunning, willpower, and grit. It's lingering sexism in super hero movies that they won't film a heroine getting the poo poo kicked out of them and winning as a bloodied up underdog.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

surf rock posted:

Honestly, her becoming Cheetah because her crush wore animal prints once might be my favorite part of the movie.

I had hope at that point in the movie because I thought between the early Barbara scenes and the super-goofy mall action scene that Jenkins was doing a full '80s throwback where the whole movie was going to be campy nonsense culminating in ~~~crazy lesbian hijinks~~~

Max also has some cheetah-print stuff lying around, Barbara may have picked up on that over time given her loyalty to him.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Nix Panicus posted:

Because of the price you have to pay. That’s mentioned too. I’m not denying that the speech was garbage like nearly everything else. I’m just pointing out how the stupid rock works. Well, from the information we do get about it.

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.
I might have been drinking too much but why didn't WW get electrocuted in the fight with the furry

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

The Cheetah fight would've had way more tension if it was a depowered Wonder Woman willing with cunning, willpower, and grit. It's lingering sexism in super hero movies that they won't film a heroine getting the poo poo kicked out of them and winning as a bloodied up underdog.

That’s a good idea. And it would have justified the use of the armor.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why not just make him invisible if he doesn’t have a passport?

There is no way in hell that a well-off dude in the loving 1980s doesn't have a goddamned passport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Upside Potential posted:

I might have been drinking too much but why didn't WW get electrocuted in the fight with the furry

Shes the daughter of Zeus, electricity doesn't phase her. Probably. Its never explained.