Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Unconquerable Resolve seems fine, Power Attack and Furious Focus are the only must-haves anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

wdarkk posted:

I'm playing in Mummy's Mask with some friends, this will be my first time playing Pathfinder 2E (or either edition really).

Is there anything I need to know about the Sorcerer class or the adventure path that isn't obvious? Like "actually the draconic bloodline is really bad" or "there's a boss that's really hard and immune to fire"?

Are you playing 1e or 2e? Mummy's Mask is a 1e adventure path, so if you're playing 2e then the campaign is all up to the GM converting everything anyway.

Pyronic posted:

Speaking of ^^

is Unconquerable Resolve any good? or is 1/HD just too low for a feat slot?

It's pretty bad: compare to stuff like having the Healer's Hands feat and just healing up after combat.

Generally the immediate things to look at for a full BAB character, if you don't have other combos in mind, are Power Attack, Furious Focus, and Cornugon Smash, plus any one of the better style chains that fits what you're going for, like Kitsune Style or Bulette Charge Style.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Kvantum posted:

Three things. Traps. Undead. Constructs. Don't focus on mind-affecting spells, in other words.

2e mind affecting spells affects any undead with intelligence

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
Individual undead may have immunities to it same as anyone else tho

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Is the divine spell list in 2e just really bad? From what I can tell it has ~60 less spells than the second-lowest spell list. Basically all of their offensive spells are situational, and their buffs don't seem considerably better than the others. Basically the only unique thing it gets is resurrection, which to be fair is not nothing, but it's also something that is again situational.

It feels like I can't recommend the divine spell list to anyone except specifically someone doing a very undead-heavy campaign OR as an evil cleric in an evil campaign (since you're less likely to fight undead and can just use tons of negative spells). Can't even necessarily recommend it for fiend-heavy, since most of the holy spells also do fire damage, which is a frequent resistance/immunity for them.

It also feels like the warpriest cleric gives up legendary proficiency in spellcasting and doesn't get much in return. They do get expert proficiency earlier, but not considerably. They get martial weapon proficiency, but that may be worthless in the end, since a) you get Deadly Simplicity, which can make many simple weapons roughly equal to martial ones and b) as either cleric, you get expert proficiency in your deity's favored weapon, martial or not. I understand that obviously getting these things earlier does make the warpriest better at fighting for a while, but it feels very wrong that the cloistered cleric and the warpriest top out at the same martial capability (and not even very late, at 11th level).

It feels like the warpriest should be getting master proficiency in their deity's favored weapon, obviously not at 13 when martials get it, but maybe at 15 (keeping them two levels behind martials, like with expert) or 19 (when they get master spellcasting much later than other spellcasters). This does seem pretty powerful because this is what martials top out at, but clerics are limited to only using a single weapon type and don't have a bunch of special martial attacks to make.

I'm curious how others feel. I do like that thanks to the Medicine skill, divine healing isn't always necessary (though many conditions can't be removed by mundane medicine), but it does almost feel that's all the cleric is really good at.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Divine spell list is kinda rough, I agree. It ends up being less generally applicable than the other lists thanks to what it focuses on.

Shared with primal, they have all the healing, condition removal, etc.
Shared with occult, they have things like Silence, Heroism, Enervation, etc. Things that are more spiritual than physical.

What this generally means is that they'll usually find it harder to chuck spells at enemies than a primal caster will, but does get some good stuff to compensate. Calm Emotions, for example, is divine/occult, and is pretty powerful. I've already noted Heroism being on the list, which is one of the best buff spells.
Compared to an occult caster, they generally lose force effects and mind-affecting things, but gain significantly increased condition removal and healing potential (breath of life is divine-only).

I think warpriest's defining features end up being the early access to armour/shields (and thus making good use of Sentinel/Bastion archetypes) and master Fort/Fort-evasion. I'm not sure this is really worth the tradeoff of falling behind in casting proficiency, but the defensive increases are pretty solid. Sadly, because your weapon proficiency/damage falls behind actual martials, you want to focus more on spell + weapon.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
This past weekends session went much better, I added monsters to each encounter and made just about everything elite so the battles were actually fun and lasted an appropriate 2-4 rounds each. The witch was able to get some hexes off and had time to do other things since they got more turns.

Hopefully things continue this way as we progress through Hellknight Hill.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I'm preparing Extinction Curse via Foundry VTT, which I'll run around February. Really excited for it. I'll try to give the circus a bigger role. I fiddled around with Foundry and made this spotlight effect in the Big Top which I hope will get my players excited. Coupled with an audience soundboard and some choice music tracks - including Final Countdown because I'll play Axel as Jobe from Arrested Development.

Video of the spotlight effect

I also made around 80 new tokens so far, filled the Circus tent and even hid some easter eggs in there (like the Kobolds in a Trench Coat; nameplates not visible to players).

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Luebbi posted:

I'm preparing Extinction Curse via Foundry VTT, which I'll run around February. Really excited for it. I'll try to give the circus a bigger role. I fiddled around with Foundry and made this spotlight effect in the Big Top which I hope will get my players excited. Coupled with an audience soundboard and some choice music tracks - including Final Countdown because I'll play Axel as Jobe from Arrested Development.

GOB

George Oscar Bluth

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Luebbi posted:

Video of the spotlight effect

I also made around 80 new tokens so far, filled the Circus tent and even hid some easter eggs in there (like the Kobolds in a Trench Coat; nameplates not visible to players).

That spotlight effect is really cool! I think your players are gonna dig it

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Drone Jett posted:

GOB

George Oscar Bluth

I've made a huge mistake.

@Enos Cabell thanks!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo6shjb?Pathfinder-Society-Playtest-Rules-Gunslinger

Playtest rules for the Gunslinger and Inventor are up

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hell yes, these look great.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Did finished Summoner and Magus ever happen?

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Did finished Summoner and Magus ever happen?

Next summer publication.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Drone Jett posted:

Next summer publication.

Very excited to see the tweaks to Summoner. Magus seemed fine.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Some people are very mad that the gunslinger can do crazy unrealistic gun poo poo in the game where fighters can jump thirty feet into the air and stab a dragon so it falls back to the ground

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Some people are very mad that the gunslinger can do crazy unrealistic gun poo poo in the game where fighters can jump thirty feet into the air and stab a dragon so it falls back to the ground

I like that the wanderer's level 16 deed is just "Be john wick for a round"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm just glad they made guns normal instead of the usual janky overcomplicated poo poo like they had in 1e.
Like "yeah, it's a type of ranged weapon. It uses gunpowder, you can make that if you have Craft Alchemical Items. Have fun."
Instead of "the gun becomes broken if you crit fail and then it explodes if you fail again." nonsense.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I like that guns' crit specialization is just "Fort save or stunned because You just got loving shot. With a gun."

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Huh. Inventor is interesting.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I like to make a little robot goblin who bites everything who I over clock while shouting mad scientist things like "But you didn't expect....THIS!" so the class is good.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The entire balance of guns just seems to be you hit like a truck but you attack less than everyone because reloads, with gunslinger getting more and more ways to mitigate reload times as they level

It's like this is way more simple and well thought out than "your gun has a random chance to just fire off and shoot you in the junk every time you draw it"

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

The entire balance of guns just seems to be you hit like a truck but you attack less than everyone because reloads, with gunslinger getting more and more ways to mitigate reload times as they level

It's like this is way more simple and well thought out than "your gun has a random chance to just fire off and shoot you in the junk every time you draw it"

I'd say that firearms have lower base damage and range than similar weapons, but have generally way higher potential with criticals, both from having fatal across the board and because the critical specialization is just plain better than what's available to other ranged weapons.

With everything maxed out, for example, a flintlock musket critical would be dealing 4d10×2 + 1d10 damage (49ish) compared to a crossbow's 4d8×2 (36ish), as well as automatically eating an action instead of just potentially eating one. Up against bows, the difference is a bit smaller, but it's still there: an arquebus critical would be dealing 4d12×2+1d12 base damage (58ish) compared to a composite longbow's (4d8 + 1/2 Str) ×2 + 3d10 (say, with a starting Strength of 14, 58ish), but that's without needing any Strength investment, so you'll be hitting more often.

It makes me wonder about the potential of a firearms fighter who uses Gunslinger Dedication to grab Risky Reload to fix up the action economy, given that they'd be hitting that spike damage from the criticals more than any other class.

Edit: Fixed math.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 6, 2021

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The relative value of Fatal goes down as you level, though, as you ad more dice to base.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Toshimo posted:

The relative value of Fatal goes down as you level, though, as you ad more dice to base.

It's also upgrading the base dice to the fatal number pre-multiply, unlike deadly, which only adds dice post-multiply. All else being equal, fatal is a just plain better trait than deadly.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Roadie posted:

It makes me wonder about the potential of a firearms fighter who uses Gunslinger Dedication to grab Risky Reload to fix up the action economy, given that they'd be hitting that spike damage from the criticals more than any other class.

No idea why you'd bother with that when you could just go gunslinger, honestly. They basically have fighter proficiencies if you're staying entirely within guns.

Roadie posted:

It's also upgrading the base dice to the fatal number pre-multiply, unlike deadly, which only adds dice post-multiply. All else being equal, fatal is a just plain better trait than deadly.

The other thing to consider is that deadly gets more dice as you get better weapon upgrades, while fatal does not.

A +3 major striking greatpick, when it crits, will go up to (4d12)*2 + 1d12.
A +3 major striking scythe, when it crits, will go up to (4d10)*2 + 3d10.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

sugar free jazz posted:

Huh. Inventor is interesting.

It’s the Starfinder Mechanic without the Exocortex option. Drone, Experimental Weapon, and Experimental Armor all made it, though.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Drone Jett posted:

It’s the Starfinder Mechanic without the Exocortex option. Drone, Experimental Weapon, and Experimental Armor all made it, though.

It's a more interesting version, though, given that you've got stuff like Explode and Tamper right off the bat.

Starfinder classes are so boring.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
I'm going to be doing a 1E Demon Hunting centered one shot this weekend where we get to build level 10 characters. Anyone have a cool class recommendation I should check out? I've played a witch (loved it) and a fire kineticist (was fun in combat). I was thinking maybe a paladin or a wizard of some sort.

Our prompt: "URGENT! Adventures, Investigators and Pathfinders required for of a string of murders. Must have knowledge of handling and quelling demons. Meet at the card table of the Grog Pit tavern in the Docks District of Absalom." signed Osprey

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

GeauxSteve posted:

I'm going to be doing a 1E Demon Hunting centered one shot this weekend where we get to build level 10 characters. Anyone have a cool class recommendation I should check out? I've played a witch (loved it) and a fire kineticist (was fun in combat). I was thinking maybe a paladin or a wizard of some sort.

Our prompt: "URGENT! Adventures, Investigators and Pathfinders required for of a string of murders. Must have knowledge of handling and quelling demons. Meet at the card table of the Grog Pit tavern in the Docks District of Absalom." signed Osprey

Occultist could be fun for free magic circles...

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

GeauxSteve posted:

Do you have a sense of what sort of power level the one shot/group is shooting for? Like, how optimized?

Do you have preferences for how you play and what roles you like?

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
There is only going to be three of us for this weekend, no one has really decided on a class yet. I'd like something fun and functional. I'm not actively seeking to stump the GM with an OP build, but if it seems really fun then I'm game.

I really loved using my Evil Eye hexes to frustrate bad guys while still doing some spell damage in my first game. Pretty much always hitting and doing decent damage as a Kineticist was really nice, but I felt less versatile.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

GeauxSteve posted:

Demon hunting? Yeah, Paladin. Smite the crap outta stuff. The Demonologist and Demon Hunter feats are fun for builds like that.

Edit: Also the Scholar of the Great Beyond trait to pick up Knowledge (planes) as a class skill for a Paladin.

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 7, 2021

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

GeauxSteve posted:

There is only going to be three of us for this weekend, no one has really decided on a class yet. I'd like something fun and functional. I'm not actively seeking to stump the GM with an OP build, but if it seems really fun then I'm game.

I really loved using my Evil Eye hexes to frustrate bad guys while still doing some spell damage in my first game. Pretty much always hitting and doing decent damage as a Kineticist was really nice, but I felt less versatile.

Just from my own personal experience,

Alchemists are really fun to play. Swift Bombs, Rapid Fire, and Two Weapon Fighting all together give you a limited use but enormous burst of damage, and you get some other combat utility with the nausea bombs, frost bombs, and tanglefoot bombs. You can also get some really high knowledge checks with the Mindchemist archetype, which is a fun lil gimmick and might be useful for Knowledge About Demons.

Investigators, and specifically the Empiricist archetype investigator are also a ton of fun to play. Lots of utility, great skills, good knowledge checks, some combat utility. Investigators are Rogues but they're actually good and fun instead of bad and lovely.

Inquisitors and Warpriests are great, you always have something to do whether it's in or out of combat.

Arcanists are also great, but by level 10 are pretty much completely broken so if it's not a higher powered group it's best to pass on them.

None of these are particularly finicky, require much mastery, or rely on any sort of shenanigans to play. Just straightforward fun and effective in my experience.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm planning on running a one-shot for my group my group this week, which is mostly used to 5e and SotDL. 2e seems... very intimidating, as someone whose only experience with D&D was 4e. Any helpful tips for a beginner?

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Azran posted:

I'm planning on running a one-shot for my group my group this week, which is mostly used to 5e and SotDL. 2e seems... very intimidating, as someone whose only experience with D&D was 4e. Any helpful tips for a beginner?

There are a lot of rules, for basically anything. You don't need to know them all. The trick is to know that, if something comes up you didn't think about, you can probably look up a rule about it.

Ask at least one other player to read through some parts of the PHB.

Build characters with the Pathbuilder App - it's extremely good and easy.

Don't sweat if you get something wrong or have to look something up. For quick references, check out Nethys, which has all the rules.

Probably start at Level 1 and play up just how many options your players have building their characters.

Have fun!

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Azran posted:

If you need a random DC at any time, chances are the simple DCs of untrained/trained/expert/master/legendary - 10/15/20/30/40 - will cover it. You can apply adjustments of +-2/5/10 to make it easier/harder depending on circumstances.

Climb examples posted:

Untrained ladder, steep slope, low-branched tree
Trained rigging, rope, typical tree
Expert wall with small handholds and footholds
Master ceiling with handholds and footholds, rock wall
Legendary smooth surface

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Azran posted:

Perhaps obvious, but have a mapping grid and some tokens if playing in person. Don't try to play PF2E as purely theatre of the mind, it's really not playing to the system's strengths. It's good at being crunchy semi-wargame where you explore basements and sword baddies on a grid, so try to do those things.

Rules-wise, there are I think two core concepts that really have to be crystal clear to everyone before you start. First, the action system, that everyone has 3 actions and 1 reaction in a turn. Second, the basic roll and check mechanics; since they're used to 5e that's mainly going to cover how to determine DCs, how crits and fumbles work and what natural 1s and 20s mean here. Most of the details can be handled as they come up but those are the two big core mechanics that everything else runs on. You need players to not be completely nonplussed when you ask them what their stealth DC is or what they're doing with their second action.

Consider having pre-gens or at least doing character creation before the session for some interested parties. Character building is really one of the strengths of the system and a lot of fun, but it takes a while first time through. Walking several newbies through how to build characters at the same time is, uh, challenging. I wouldn't expect to be able to both roll characters and play the game in the same evening.

Have cheat sheets for everyone. I like this one, I made a linked-up version for Foundry when I ran my first sessions with my group. Ideally edit out the skills that's not relevant to the player in question, and probably all the exploration and downtime stuff. Even more ideally, add whatever spells their character has if you know them in advance.

Simplify some of the crunchier details, especially for non-combat mechanics. Don't try to run, say, the stealth rules strictly as-written on your first session unless you really want to kill all narrative momentum as the rogue sneaks up on the baddies. When you're unsure about some rules detail, and you will be because yeah 2E is a lot, then have the player roll a D20 + relevant modifier and make stuff up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
This is very helpful, thanks everyone :)