Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Legally being unable to is a very different beast from choosing not to as well as Procrastinator's point of any compensation to him would be by definition under the table and thus denied by all parties.

edit: This point was about the Ben Carter situation being super muddy and not really being something you could pull anything about AEW's payment culture about.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Paying people working illegally under the table is also not good buisiness practice? :psyduck:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Wezlar posted:

Paying people working illegally under the table is also not good buisiness practice? :psyduck:

Yeah I realized my point wasn't clear, I meant more that the Ben Carter situation is so stupid and weird that trying to use it to read into AEW's business practices seems like a pointless endeavor. I think back to a half remembered episode of Cheap Seats where Wayne Grimditch was technically an amateur athlete who's winnings were going to go to an athletic club where he was the only member and go, well literally everything about athletics and paying them without paying them is muddy and stupid.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
ben carter is an outlier adn should not be counted

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Ben Carter should have made a fake athletic club and been an amateur professional wrestler.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

karmicknight posted:

Yeah I realized my point wasn't clear, I meant more that the Ben Carter situation is so stupid and weird that trying to use it to read into AEW's business practices seems like a pointless endeavor. I think back to a half remembered episode of Cheap Seats where Wayne Grimditch was technically an amateur athlete who's winnings were going to go to an athletic club where he was the only member and go, well literally everything about athletics and paying them without paying them is muddy and stupid.

That's fair. My original point wasn't even that I think the Ben Carter situation is indicative of their business practices as a whole, because I don't think it is, only that I would believe they would do some stuff that is at the very least questionable.
And that I think stiffing someone 80 dollars intentionally is so petty that it's pretty hard to imagine them doing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

I don't believe the Rip/Flash/Bostic story, but I also don't think he's saying that they worked matches on Dark so much as they appeared as security guards or something. Alan Angels, for example, was used as an extra a bunch of times where you wouldn't have known it was him before he ever worked a match for AEW. (He was the "fan" who threw the drink at MJF at Full Gear 2019, for example.) And they've flown in a bunch of non-GA/FL workers for Dark, too, so bringing in a couple Indiana guys isn't a stretch in and of itself so much as:

1. AEW bringing in Flash Flanagan and not having him work a match (unless it was a coach tryout?).
2. AEW bringing in Dylan Bostic at all.

...are both very difficult to believe.

And to add to the other replies: Ben Carter is such an outlier because of the visa issues that calling his non-payment exploitation is ridiculous. They didn't pay him because they couldn't legally pay him and doing so would then also be a major issue if they then tried to sponsor a work visa for him.

Meanwhile, this just happened and I'm not sure what to think of it, both in general and because I don't want to call Rip Rogers after midnight:
https://twitter.com/Hustler2754/status/1342695333898412033

Call him.

I want it to turn out he's confusing AEW with GCW.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Tony Khan almost certainly handed Ben Carter a sneaky $500 bill or whatever.

That Fightful interview where Carter revealed his visa situation and how that impacted his payment was the dumbest thing he could’ve done if not for the fact he probably already had the NXT UK deal in hand waiting for a signature (along with whatever AEW wanted to try and make happen), because none of his indie dates couldn’t have been legally paying him until that point either, and I doubt he was doing all of those for exposure either and broadcasting that shut the door on all of it.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
bix please let us know how rip answers the phone

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Alleged Carny Tony Khan could not have legally paid Flash Flanagan because he’s a resident of Indiana

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

That Fightful interview where Carter revealed his visa situation and how that impacted his payment was the dumbest thing he could’ve done if not for the fact he probably already had the NXT UK deal in hand waiting for a signature (along with whatever AEW wanted to try and make happen), because none of his indie dates couldn’t have been legally paying him until that point either, and I doubt he was doing all of those for exposure either and broadcasting that shut the door on all of it.

His move was always to WWE. He knew exactly what he was doing.

From a speculation standpoint, I believe AEW just knew that but wanted to see if he wanted to change his mind and impact that dream. Didn’t happen.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Dustin with the “I’m paid to do this” grimace and Greggy with the “why do I need to interact with her” dead-eyed state

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

As I've explained before, his visa situation was such that NXT UK was always going to be the only realistic option. And there are also reasons that should be obvious for why Carter wouldn't really mind dropping his visa status in that interview at that time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/Kemonito_cmll/status/1342728578451046400

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

Take care fella...spike your hair! :fella:

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Alleged Carny Tony Khan could not have legally paid Flash Flanagan because he’s a resident of Indiana

As a resident of Indiana I can confirm this checks out.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

bix please let us know how rip answers the phone

same, I had/have no clue who this guy is until I read his wikipedia and oh he's the guy that made the actual wrestling boring.

quote:

As head trainer for OVW, Rogers has been involved in training over thirty wrestlers who appeared in WWE or Impact Wrestling, notably including Brock Lesnar, John Cena, Mark Henry, Dave Bautista, and Randy Orton

and unless he had a bad breakup with WWE, I'm sure he's a bootlicker and throwing around some $80 carny story from his days as a carny.

gently caress it, book them for a $160 on a pole match to shut this gently caress up

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Still no answer on what shows these were or when they happened but the sum is staying carny appropriate

https://twitter.com/Dylan_Bostic/status/1342588948418334721

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Still no answer on what shows these were or when they happened but the sum is staying carny appropriate

https://twitter.com/Dylan_Bostic/status/1342588948418334721

they shorted him $80? I can't believe they'd short a guy like Dylan $120! How does AEW think they'll stay in business if they can't even pay wrestlers the $240 they owe them?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Tony Khan owes me $42 and a Subway gift card with like nine bucks left on it like I was promised

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what i'd love is for it to be that they were in the audience for shows and wanted to be paid for their appearance

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
it's all a true carny shoot-work to get "sorry about the acounting error bullshit, we'll give you a match on dark but wrestle, but work, but don't work?"

and of course, the mother-load probably an ez $240 minus RIp's cut

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/PKDX/status/1342804993917612035?s=20

I absolutely love Kongo group pictures with Nakajima just totally refusing to take part & sitting on the turnbuckle.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Did you guys see Greg tore his pec? I bet that's why he looks so sad in those pics. Santa gave him a lovely torn pec for Christmas

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/mocchy_117/status/1342828996199780352?s=20

For some reason Masaaki Mochizuki has been living in the DG Dojo for the past month. He says it's cool though because it let him talk to some of the trainees & get to know them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

“Way overqualified” to appear on one of two wrestling promotions on widely available cable networks’ flagship TV program.

Yeah, that's his little dig that AEW wrestlers aren't "real" wrestlers.

Rogers was also the guy who got torn a new one when he complained about wrestlers wearing kickpads, because he didn't understand the purpose of kickpads.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Love this new gimmick Kenny is doing: https://twitter.com/kennyomegamanx/status/1342661226573291520?s=21

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
:chloe:

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Yeah, that's his little dig that AEW wrestlers aren't "real" wrestlers.

Rogers was also the guy who got torn a new one when he complained about wrestlers wearing kickpads, because he didn't understand the purpose of kickpads.

Just remember, there is a large amount of people who want AEW to fail and WWE to continue to be the only game in town. There are entire communities dedicated to taking down any WWE competitors.

Most of what I read from AEW fans are they want WWE to actually get better and not go away.

WWE super diehards just want the competition to go away forever and never work again unless it’s with WWE.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/realsefafatu/status/1342736288449884160?s=21

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

ICR posted:

Just remember, there is a large amount of people who want AEW to fail and WWE to continue to be the only game in town. There are entire communities dedicated to taking down any WWE competitors.

Most of what I read from AEW fans are they want WWE to actually get better and not go away.

WWE super diehards just want the competition to go away forever and never work again unless it’s with WWE.

i want wwe to die and the mcmahons to go broke

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

WWE is a toxic company ran by a rapist and his Nazi son in law and the wrestling business will never really heal while they're around. The company being shut down and Vince and Linda being put in prison would not only be good for wrestling, but the world.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

i don't particularly care if wwe exists but i do want the mcmahons to die in prison so take that as you will

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Oh no doubt to all that. I basically want leadership gone and a total change in culture and how they promote wrestling. It’s toxic.

And maybe a new company to spawn from their breakup so more wrestlers have more opportunities. I am blown away at how much talent exists on the indies and they don’t even get a chance and their dreams ruined because one company said so. Just one.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Anyone know what the deal is with this and the #FreeGCW hashtag anyone who’s ever been booked there is tweeting today?

https://twitter.com/lauderdale11/status/1342891322693312512?s=21

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Anyone know what the deal is with this and the #FreeGCW hashtag anyone who’s ever been booked there is tweeting today?

It seems to be related to WWE's attempt to trademark The Collective.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Masters?? Like master tapes? Records? What??

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Masters?? Like master tapes? Records? What??

Master tapes, Brett probably didn't read the deal on the IWTV produced shows carefully.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

MassRafTer posted:

Master tapes, Brett probably didn't read the deal on the IWTV produced shows carefully.

It’s this.

https://twitter.com/gcwrestling_/status/1342917414892281871

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SickKnickZFan/status/1342912619318018049

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer