Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nanigans posted:

That sucks. Mickey’s Runaway Railway was excellent.

I meant rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Dont loving miss Rise you buffoon

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Atricks posted:

I'm avoiding the parks this week and next, Universal has been hitting capacity very early in the day this week. (around 10am)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

PneumonicBook posted:

I meant rise.

If for some reason you are late just be nice to the CM at Rise and explain you were in Mickey's and didn't see the notification until you got out.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Hazo posted:

Dont loving miss Rise you buffoon

So what i meant was our group was called at 830 so we had until 930 to get to rise. Then our bus was late, and went to animal kingdom first. We had to sprint over to rise but we made it. I was under the impression the first set of groups would be called at 9 and wed have until 10 to hoof it over there.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I...think? I understood what you meant.

I figured you'd prioritize Rise over Mickey, which, yeah that's the right choice. But it's a shame because Mickey is great and it'll be a hell of a wait if you didn't rope drop.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
What time do you recommend showing up for rope drop? I'll be staying at coronado springs and will be going to HS on a Tuesday in January.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nanigans posted:

I...think? I understood what you meant.

I figured you'd prioritize Rise over Mickey, which, yeah that's the right choice. But it's a shame because Mickey is great and it'll be a hell of a wait if you didn't rope drop.

Yea that's what happened. We got lucky with Mickey, the ride broke down and like half the line took off, they had the ride back up in like 5 minutes so it was maybe a 20 minute wait total.

Trying to convince the family that the millennium falcon is going to be sweet but I think my wife and daughter are about Star Wars'd out

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gejimayu posted:

What time do you recommend showing up for rope drop? I'll be staying at coronado springs and will be going to HS on a Tuesday in January.

If you’re taking a Disney bus, you want to be on the first wave of buses out, so I’d be in line at the bus stop no less than 30 minutes before those are scheduled to start running.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea that's what happened. We got lucky with Mickey, the ride broke down and like half the line took off, they had the ride back up in like 5 minutes so it was maybe a 20 minute wait total.

Trying to convince the family that the millennium falcon is going to be sweet but I think my wife and daughter are about Star Wars'd out

Falcon is fun, but not essential. I had more fun probably just walking around the waiting area just before the "ride" and sitting in the cockpit than actually piloting it.

That said, if you're lucky enough to be assigned right-pilot, you get to take the ship into hyperdrive which...yeah, that's fantastic.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

PneumonicBook posted:

So what i meant was our group was called at 830 so we had until 930 to get to rise. Then our bus was late, and went to animal kingdom first. We had to sprint over to rise but we made it. I was under the impression the first set of groups would be called at 9 and wed have until 10 to hoof it over there.

Excellent! Mickey is great but at its core (and I mean this with all respect and fondness) it’s a standard dark ride. Rise is unlike anything else in the world and cannot be missed.

Nanigans posted:

That said, if you're lucky enough to be assigned right-pilot, you get to take the ship into hyperdrive which...yeah, that's fantastic.

You get two hyperspace pulls so if you’re nice you can offer it to the left pilot :3:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you’re taking a Disney bus, you want to be on the first wave of buses out, so I’d be in line at the bus stop no less than 30 minutes before those are scheduled to start running.

Also, don’t rely on them necessarily - they aren’t always coordinated to go to the early opening park first (is that even a thing right now?). I’ve had to order an Uber instead of using the buses before, because the bus wasn’t coming in time to rope drop.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I'll post a big ole trip breakdown if anyone wants sometime next week. We're all basically dead and now we have holiday stuff to do.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
One of these days I'll ride Rise...

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Rise is fun and cool but MMRR still is the better achievement in my book. I adore it soooo much.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d rather ride rise once then the Mickey thing. I really don’t care about Disney stuff at all.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I love Star Wars and Rise is a definitely a technical achievement, but the combination of

A) Rise being sequel themed (boo)

B) the new Mickey shorts (yay) being the inspiration of MMRR

C)MMRR being a genuinely great ride

make the Railway my preferred ride at HS at this point. I’ll still ride Rise, but I’d be more upset about not getting to do RR.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Rise definitely has less of a re-ride-ability factor than the Falcon. But the feeling I got after stepping off of it for the first time was indescribable and I want every Star Wars fan to experience it.

CelticPredator posted:

I’d rather ride rise once then the Mickey thing. I really don’t care about Disney stuff at all.

Hey cmon pal, we’re all friends here. You don’t have to pretend.

CelticPredator posted:

I want to make a lightsaber at Disney so bad...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but I care about Star Wars not Mickey and all that.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I haven't done MMRR yet but I got to do rise before episode 9 came out, and rise has some bridge story between 8 and 9, which was really cool.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nottherealaborn posted:

Also, don’t rely on them necessarily - they aren’t always coordinated to go to the early opening park first (is that even a thing right now?). I’ve had to order an Uber instead of using the buses before, because the bus wasn’t coming in time to rope drop.

I used them a few times last month and didn’t have any issues with them being late. The one day they were running a few minutes behind we were still in the park before they even opened up the parking lots.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Jose Oquendo posted:

I used them a few times last month and didn’t have any issues with them being late. The one day they were running a few minutes behind we were still in the park before they even opened up the parking lots.

February 2019, my wife and a couple friends and I went to Disney and planned on rope dropping AK on a day it had EMH. Unfortunately, they for some reason scheduled the AK buses to not start until after the other parks (despite being open before the other parks), so we had to order an Uber.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I tend to show up during the races so the busses have been running since like, 4 am or whatever.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
As someone who only watches rides on YouTube, Railway and Rise look equally fun to me, but Railway is more impressive in some regard. Like it’s easy to write off 90% of its effects as “just projections”, but good heavens those are some seriously cool projections.

The part that blows me away is how they move the cars 70-80% into a darkened room and then all the components come alive. The darkened room gives the impression of saving energy but they’re projecting the darkened outline of the stuff that lights up on the walls even in the “off” mode so when it comes on it’s like watching the sun rise over the horizon although a little hyperactive.

While you’re somewhat ruining the illusion for yourself if you turn your head backwards during the waterfall scene, if you do there’s actually a clean transition to the underwater wallpaper that goes on back there just in case you thought to twist your neck and catch them changing the scenery.

Meanwhile, among people who actually get to vacation at these places I’ve heard that Rise is a technical nightmare that “pulls a Yeti” on a grab bag of effects that seems to change each weekend, and a queue that makes me think they learned nothing from the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland since they made a lot of the same mistakes.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 26, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah thematic/emotional connections aside, Railway is a monstrous achievement and every bit as good if not better than Rise even without the thrill elements. It's like the next level evolution of what a dark ride can be.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Meanwhile, among people who actually get to vacation at these places I’ve heard that Rise is a technical nightmare that “pulls a Yeti” on a grab bag of effects that seems to change each weekend, and a queue that makes me think they learned nothing from the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland since they made a lot of the same mistakes.

To what mistakes are you referring? Interactive elements that work until they don't, and nobody ever bothers to get them working again? :smith: Indy is still one of my favorite queues in the world, and it really is a darn shame that it was never maintained properly. (Please keep spoiler-tagging any details about the ride part of RotR, by the way. I still hope to go into it as unspoiled as possible.)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

PurpleButterfly posted:

To what mistakes are you referring? Interactive elements that work until they don't, and nobody ever bothers to get them working again? :smith:

Well, that, but also the fact that the queue was built to work in the way that the park operated in 1995, and it's inflexible to adapt the amount of backstory delivered in Indy's queue in, say, a FastPass Return.

You know how Indy had that "what effects will be broken this week" thing for many years, when the Anaheim AP obsessives would set up web sites keeping track of whether Mara was emitting smoke or whether the projectors were broken or whether the rolling ball prop was indeed spinning? Rise has had a lot of that. It has plenty of "B-Modes" akin to the infamous Everest Yeti that hasn't worked for a decade. This is where you get some less impressive alternative sequence that visually blockades you from seeing the broken effect, but instead the knowledgeable rider knows that getting the backup show means an effect is broken.

As for the queue, logistically speaking, the queue was designed to entertain large clumps of people simultaneously. Imagine the Tower of Terror library followed by the Mansion's stretching room, both of which are designed to hold and amuse ~50 or so at a time. Rise's queue is a lot of that, which is a problem when you should never under any circumstance gather a large clump of mixed company. That means choosing between inefficiency or massive intrusions into the script for real-world necessity. It also means this awkward/tedious "boarding groups" system that was meant to be phased out after launch crowds dipped have remained due to reduced capacity. You end up with that same feeling as Indy where what was envisioned is simply incompatible with reality.

Add in that the entertainment in Rise's queue is not a 60 year old Ghost Host recording but in large part on the shoulders of Cast Members in cosplay who still have to follow CDC guidelines while role-playing as living breathing citizens of the Star Wars universe.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

It’s really not surprising Rise has more issues considering it’s far more complicated. It’s just way longer with so much more to possibly go wrong.

I don’t think we should be critiquing a queue because it wasn’t designed with a pandemic in mind. I mean it’s frustrating at the moment but it will be back to normal at some point.

Dugong fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 26, 2020

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I tried to communicate the challenges of the queue in a way that wouldn't spoil it's contents, but also why it reminds me of Indy. There's an old-fashioned part of me that believes a ride should simply be shut down rather than accept so much logistical compromise, but if I worked at Disney I would never actually endorse that idea because I'd fear for the cast's jobs.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Oh yeah I agree. There are some decisions that are pretty wild from an operational perspective that almost every other theme park would just shut down before it became an idea, let alone added to an attraction.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

All this arguing about MMRR or Rise, nobody pours one out for the Great Movie Ride :smith:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The alien part was the only good scene. The rest were pretty snooze.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
The Great Movie Ride died the day the Turner Classic Movies deal was inked, its shambling corpse trudged on for a few more years but the bullet had already been fired.

That being said, MMRR is adorable and worth the wait (but not at the expense of missing RotR)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hot take: both rides suck and over rely on projection, something Disney fans harped on Universal for years about

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

hot take: both rides suck and over rely on projection, something Disney fans harped on Universal for years about

better that than the cheap rear end overwork they gave snow white over in disneyland.

which, ironically enough, I am all for but it looks super cheap.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Empress Brosephine posted:

Nah. Rise has a few projection elements but they’re essential to the function of the ride and/or have other effects that make them innovative (like Kylo and Hux’s shadows, and even that is more of a video not a projection I checked and it is. But other than that I can’t think of any MMRR style projection effects other than the door in the prison cell being blowtorched open.

In fact so much of what makes Rise so cool is how most of it is three dimensional practical props and structures. I don’t see the comparison with railroad at all in terms of projections.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Even Mickeys is so far beyond projections that it’s disingenuous to say it that way. It’s projection mapping on 3D surfaces that are moving and animated (like the awesome tornado) mixed with immersive animation scenes fit into the rooms and surfaces. It’s like claiming The Haunted Mansion is too reliant on hidden wires and mirrors.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Miss the parks, been over a year since we visited. So we brought a touch of the magic home for the holiday.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

I tried to communicate the challenges of the queue in a way that wouldn't spoil it's contents, but also why it reminds me of Indy.

And you and the rest of the thread did a great job of it. :) I was aware most of the ride was made up of practical props (the near-life-size AT-ATs were one of the most prominent features of DLR construction photos, so they couldn't exactly keep that a secret), which is one of the reasons I'm so excited to get back to it.

When exactly did the TCM deal happen? I got to ride the Great Movie Ride during our May 2016 family trip, and I liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Honestly - I compare ROTR as an engaging “show” and MMRR as the greatest dark ride ever invented. For me - I’ll pick MMRR every time because every ride position is a different experience - while ROTR, do it a couple of times and you get all the experiences.

Both are technical achievements and deserve accolades. But my Star Wars love is only so far - I still wish they had a third attraction in Batuu.