Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Groke posted:

[2] There is a school of thought that views the events of 1814 as at least partially a Norwegian attempt to stay in union with Denmark, rather than going for full independence. Evidence: The guy they chose to be the King of independent Norway was also in line to inherit the Danish throne, which I'm sure was a mere coincidence...
Anyone who does not adhere to this view is a negationist. You might think they were wrong to attempt that, but they definitely did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

I would have thought Norwegians were madder at Danes but, uh, no?

At least Denmark gave us a fun king who built cities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_IV_of_Denmark

Sweden gave us a grumpy authoritarian king who's main legacy today is a shopping street: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_XIV_John#King_of_Sweden_and_Norway

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Mom worked at Posten as it became PostNord and she spent a few years working with danish HK ppl.

She doesnt like to talk about that time. But she has hated the Dane viciously since.

Oh yeah danish working environments are toxic as gently caress, no idea why. But we don't have to work with danes, just see them occasionally, which keeps the relationship cordial.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Alhazred posted:

At least Denmark gave us a fun king who built cities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_IV_of_Denmark

And after you renamed Christiania we re-used it on the fun part of KBH

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Nice piece of fish posted:

Oh yeah danish working environments are toxic as gently caress, no idea why. But we don't have to work with danes, just see them occasionally, which keeps the relationship cordial.

Danish working environments in DK are totes chill compared to Canada or the USA.

I presume you got all the Ny Borgerlige types who flee DK to start businesses to fleece the elk-riders of their oil money and get away from Mette Frederiksen

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Danish working environments in DK are totes chill compared to Canada or the USA.

I presume you got all the Ny Borgerlige types who flee DK to start businesses to fleece the elk-riders of their oil money and get away from Mette Frederiksen
Yeah, I think there might be some selection bias here.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Tbh, it’s no wonder that the HKs who suffered the extremely unfortunate fate of having to work at postvæsenet as it was privatized/liberalized over numerous rounds, turned into awful, impossible to work with, assholes. I think everyone below top management level, who had the slightest possibility to escape took it, while many were trapped in a mind-numbing, soul grinding, darkness of a fully fledged npm regime. Definitely part of the starve the beast tactics of the various neoliberal governments in the 90s and 00s.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I was in Post Danmark ten years ago before it became Post Nord, but while it was still privatised and also rapidly on the way to become irrelevant, at least the letters that I and my colleagues carried. It was fun for me because I was there between gymnasium and university, but for the lifers, it was just the beats getting longer, the work environment getting worse, lots of bad management ideas and the knowledge that you'd be fired at some point when they company went under. It was very much not a place you'd want to be stuck.

It also didn't help that us teenagers were working faster because we didn't have to worry about burning out, since most of us were there for a year like me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Rust Martialis posted:

My Norwegian colleagues still talk about the time like a decade ago they had a Danish manager for a brief period, and it feels roughly equivalent in energy to Brits born in 1954 describing how they lived through the Blitz.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

My Norwegian colleagues still talk about the time like a decade ago they had a Danish manager for a brief period, and it feels roughly equivalent in energy to Brits born in 1954 describing how they lived through the Blitz.

I had a terrible Danish boss at my last job. All the the other bosses at her level of middle management were also Danish because this is Denmark, and they were pretty much all pretty nice people, some even actively working counter to upper management when they were idiots. One terrible person is not representative for a country. Not even if said person is a Muslim.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Well that post took a sudden turn at the end

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BonHair posted:

Not even if said person is a Muslim.

From Muslim-Country?

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

People who deal with Danes are braver than the marines :patriot:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Alhazred posted:

From Muslim-Country?

Nørrebro?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

slowdave posted:

People who deal with Danes are braver than the marines :patriot:
Bravery requires awareness of risk, so this isn't exactly hard.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

From Muslim-Country?

Exactly, where their chief export is terror and welfare queens, with a side of crime and the bad kind of misogyny.

I hoped the sarcasm in reference to Danish politics was obvious.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BonHair posted:

I hoped the sarcasm in reference to Danish politics was obvious.

It really wasn't.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

It really wasn't.

I apologize. I do try my best to not be a racist rear end in a top hat.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah as i've mentioned earlier in this thread, my company got bought up by a Danish investing company. They immediately set about tearing apart everything that worked and replaced it with dystopian control measures, impossible demands on the workers, and a stricht hiarchy where the worker was to shut up and work and not dare speak up to their betters. 3 loving years of this and it ended with 15% of the total workforce on sick leave due to stress and other similar symptoms, productivity down the drain, and a toxic work enviroment. Company went bust just in time for the rona lockdowns.

I'm not saying all danes are like this but man, I keep hearing of similar stories, so yeah i guess there is a much tougher and meaner workplace culture in Denmark.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Our (Norwegian) company is owned by a Danish one, but thankfully stay mostly out of our day to day. The only real interaction is via their IT department and they’re hilariously slow and incompetent.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

GyverMac posted:

Danish investing company. They immediately set about tearing apart everything that worked and replaced it with dystopian control measures
I'm gonna say this has more to do with the company being an investment company than them being Danish. That type of parasite can come from anywhere. I've seen similar (often American, but sometimes German) companies do exactly the same thing to Danish companies.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Danes can clearly not be trusted. The only way out of this pandemic is to break from the EU and form a Scandi Union under Swedish leadership.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

GyverMac posted:

Yeah as i've mentioned earlier in this thread, my company got bought up by a Danish investing company. They immediately set about tearing apart everything that worked and replaced it with dystopian control measures, impossible demands on the workers, and a stricht hiarchy where the worker was to shut up and work and not dare speak up to their betters. 3 loving years of this and it ended with 15% of the total workforce on sick leave due to stress and other similar symptoms, productivity down the drain, and a toxic work enviroment. Company went bust just in time for the rona lockdowns.

I'm not saying all danes are like this but man, I keep hearing of similar stories, so yeah i guess there is a much tougher and meaner workplace culture in Denmark.
Denmark is (or was) the last hierarchical society in the world in 2018, within the workplace at least, according to the World Economic Forum.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/10/denmark-has-the-flattest-work-hierarchy-in-the-world/

Like Esran says (and I alluded to earlier), this has more to do with the people you encounter than them being Danish. There's probably a massive amount of selection bias, with the biggest assholes being the exact type of people thinking "drat, it's impossible to work with our countrymen, but I'm sure the yokels next door can be made to do anything!" The more internationally minded ones are probably also more American in their way of thinking, possibly even American-educated, with all that implies.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Katt posted:

Danes can clearly not be trusted. The only way out of this pandemic is to break from the EU and form a Scandi Union under Swedish leadership.

You sure seem to have a large (misplaced) amount of faith in Sweden, despite the past year.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Katt posted:

Yeah...we would prefer being alive.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Denmark is (or was) the least hierarchical society in the world in 2018, within the workplace at least, according to the World Economic Forum.
It's delightful how much the meaning of your sentence changes just from a single missing letter. :allears:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's delightful how much the meaning of your sentence changes just from a single missing letter. :allears:
Haha, whoops. :v:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Yeah...we would prefer being alive.

Typical non-swedes

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Katt posted:

Trust me, I’ve adopted the time honored Swedish custom of Danskjävlar, but Swedish leadership has been proven to be an oxymoronic concept.

With the Danes you’ll want to shoot yourself in the head with them at the helm, which is the point, but the Swedes? They’ll be doing the shooting, once they decide what bullet is most cost effective to kill you and forming a overly complex system that makes a simple bullet to the brain, a normal maybe minute long process, span several months per victim. They will get mad that you might have a better idea for your own demise throughout, as they’re the leaders, and who are you to question them?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Danish leadership: A firm hand, a clear vision, gas chambers and shallow graves for vermin.

Swedish leadership: Trust in the government, trust in the public, grandmothers are optional expenses when you think about it.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Somebody needs to explain to me why so many Swedes feel compelled to defend Tegnell when he has been wrong so many times already. In any other country he would've been fired, at least.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Well our opposition has done nothing. We also have strong trust for our non political people in charge of things. I also think that we don't have the legal means to do a lot of the more extreme measures yet.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

It might also be that whether it was a good idea or not, this is _our_ Covid-19 strategy and therefore we should support it.

Just like the Brits with their ring mains and exterior plumbing.

Also, better to die a Swede than live as a Dane.

Danskjävlar.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

fnox posted:

Somebody needs to explain to me why so many Swedes feel compelled to defend Tegnell when he has been wrong so many times already. In any other country he would've been fired, at least.

Im probably not speaking for everyone here, but in general most people kind of... apporoved of the level of measures taken? There was a lot of relief about the lack of lockdowns etc. Including me FWIW

So in essence there is a shared culpability in how it all ended up and so blaming it all on Tegnell would be pretty shameless.

Witness the power of fully operational consenus.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Also, better to die a Swede than live as a Dane.

Danskjävlar.

Imagine the grand cities and fun attractions we could've built for you, if you hadn't pulled that little hissy fit of yours.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Sistergodiva posted:

I also think that we don't have the legal means to do a lot of the more extreme measures yet.

Yes you do.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Im probably not speaking for everyone here, but in general most people kind of... apporoved of the level of measures taken? There was a lot of relief about the lack of lockdowns etc. Including me FWIW

So in essence there is a shared culpability in how it all ended up and so blaming it all on Tegnell would be pretty shameless.

Witness the power of fully operational consenus.

I can get that feeling for the first part of the pandemic. But then the second wave happened, and it continued to get worse, and worse. If you own the successes, then you also own the failures of your decisions.

I get that Tegnell is just the public face of an institution that operates largely autonomously with physicians, researchers, epidemiologists and so forth. But as the face of the institution, what kind of image are you presenting to the public when you get things horrendously wrong and face no consequences for it? It's hard to call the Swedish strategy as anything but a failure from numbers alone, so at least the appearance of change should occur.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

fnox posted:

I can get that feeling for the first part of the pandemic. But then the second wave happened, and it continued to get worse, and worse. If you own the successes, then you also own the failures of your decisions.

I get that Tegnell is just the public face of an institution that operates largely autonomously with physicians, researchers, epidemiologists and so forth. But as the face of the institution, what kind of image are you presenting to the public when you get things horrendously wrong and face no consequences for it? It's hard to call the Swedish strategy as anything but a failure from numbers alone, so at least the appearance of change should occur.

Yeah in general the second wave hitting as hard as it did is much harder to excuse. People were expecting... well maybe not waaay harder measures but a certainly quicker response this time around and we got too little to late instead. Again. This is entirely on FHM and the government which left them at the reins.

At the same time the individual response and restraint as a consequence went further this time around. I work with retail and the way costumers have actually adapted and frequented our businesses outside of typical hours has actually been significant during the second wave since week 44. Much moreso than spring where people just did their usual hours YOLO.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

It might also be that whether it was a good idea or not, this is _our_ Covid-19 strategy and therefore we should support it.

Danskjävlar.
It's 100% this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

It's 100% this.

my strategy, love it or leave it (in a body bag)