Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think Amos and Gao are the only people we see on Earth after the rocks fall, right? Both pretty insulated from the immediate consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Um...Gao did not seem all that insulated to me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Of the FIRST rock.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

We've seen pics of Amos' Big Adventure so they're going apocalypse to some extent, at least.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
I wonder if Duarte(or whoever it is in the show) winds up hoodwinking Marco out of the PM. Him threatening Earth/Mars with it wasn't in the book (iirc) but I'm thinking after Alex's loose lips moment Duarte's people are like "Hey, we should take this poo poo with us" and jack it from Marco before loving off.

Gotta wonder then why sell Marco in the first place if it's not to get the PM. Maybe the point was to strip as much equipment away from loyalists before leaving for Laconia so nobody could stop them? Not sure that makes sense but w/e, the adaptation has been great so far.

Unless the PM threat was just Marco blustering (it's probably this)

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Sakai's reaction about taking Monica with them had me a little confused. Was it that she just knew the Free Navy wanted to steal her away but her bosses hadn't told her why...Or was it the Duarte faction after proto info?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Sakai is 100% the mole. They've done a great job of making her likable to the point that the non-spoiler thread likes her as an addition to the show, and it will hammer home once everything goes to poo poo at how deeply out of the loop Fred Johnson was when it came to understanding the Belters since even his own Tycho people are betraying him.
Ya called it!

I'm guessing Drummer HAS to come back and take over for Fred now? I can't imagine an in-universe reason for the OPA to accept Bull. (But it always seemed mad they took Fred, to be fair.)

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
I'd imagine Bull becoming part of the temporary Roci crew when Holden goes to scoop everyone up - not sure he'd be super welcome in Tycho otherwise.

Drummer they're definitely setting up to rally the OPA not down with Marco's genocide/become the eventual Transport Union head (which she is in the books anyway, just 3 decades later lol)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

VagueRant posted:

Sakai's reaction about taking Monica with them had me a little confused. Was it that she just knew the Free Navy wanted to steal her away but her bosses hadn't told her why...Or was it the Duarte faction after proto info?

I thought maybe they just wanted a hostage to use as a human shield, and Sakai made that decision on the fly since she wasn't expecting anyone in Fred's quarters.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I still don't know why she doesn't put at least one bullet in Holden while she's shooting Fred.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

VagueRant posted:

I took it as Marco just wanting an audience and therefore wanting a celebrity news person to lend him credibility.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I still don't know why she doesn't put at least one bullet in Holden while she's shooting Fred.
Too handsome to shoot

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gangringo posted:

I took it as Marco just wanting an audience and therefore wanting a celebrity news person to lend him credibility.

That's also a very good possibility that totally fits.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

It is psychologically difficult to pull the trigger on someone facing away from you

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

BrotherJayne posted:

It is psychologically difficult to pull the trigger on someone facing away from you

She shot Fred three times in the back.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

CommanderApaul posted:

She shot Fred three times in the back.

Fred was the target, and a longstanding jdeological enrmy of the radical OPA

poo poo, even when he was Dawes' best buddy Fred was loathed.

Are you actually incapible of understanding the difference between killing a big bad, your target, and a random (ruggedly handsome) bystander? Or just yanking my chain.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
can you imagine shooting holden? just look at those handsomely squinty, vaguely confused eyes of his. it'd be like shooting a puppy!

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

BrotherJayne posted:

Fred was the target, and a longstanding jdeological enrmy of the radical OPA

poo poo, even when he was Dawes' best buddy Fred was loathed.

Are you actually incapible of understanding the difference between killing a big bad, your target, and a random (ruggedly handsome) bystander? Or just yanking my chain.

You said it was difficult to shoot someone facing away from you. I gave an example of where it was not difficult. Also you'd think Holden would be just as much of an enemy of the Free Navy as Fred Johnson.

I assume that she has orders from Marco to let Holden live, given his plan to torture Naomi by luring the Roci into a death trap with a fake distress call in her voice.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

CommanderApaul posted:

You said it was difficult to shoot someone facing away from you. I gave an example of where it was not difficult. Also you'd think Holden would be just as much of an enemy of the Free Navy as Fred Johnson.

I assume that she has orders from Marco to let Holden live, given his plan to torture Naomi by luring the Roci into a death trap with a fake distress call in her voice.

Oh, was Holden at Anderson station too? I didn't know, giess he too would have been a priority target as well as in eminant psychological threat.

Or not. She worked up to shoot her target and bailed. It's a regular outcome for a hit.

Her not working up to shoot Holden or the rescue ranger mouse lady isn't suprising in the least

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

ughhhh posted:

I guess this season is gonna slowly open up as to why mars sold that tech to the belters. Just bizarre to me how something so sensitive could just happen without anyone thinking about it. I mean in our own world we started a war over a lie that the 'bad' people have or are trying to get wmds.

you fucks better hold your tongues in the main thread i want to see their unspoiled reactions to this

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I've had to keep my mouth shut for over a year after Duarte's name showed up on a random supply report in season 4. I can hold out to February.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Defiance Industries posted:

I thought maybe they just wanted a hostage to use as a human shield, and Sakai made that decision on the fly since she wasn't expecting anyone in Fred's quarters.

Sakai knew they wanted her; that's one of the reasons the ship was coming to tycho in the first place. That she was meant for Laconia for propaganda was probably not disclosed to her.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Fred got shot because he's the leader of a major belter faction- one that wouldn't have gone along with Marcos' plan.

Marcos' message was to the belters just as much as to the inner planets. He's trying hard to cement himself as top belter leader, it makes sense he'd try to off any competition.

Wonder if he made a play to kill Dawes as well?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Dawes is on his side, initially

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

CommanderApaul posted:

"Don't shoot him before he falls into my clever and inescapable* trap" is very on brand for Marco and I accept your theory as valid.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just learned in the TV thread that the belter Avrasarala was interrogating in the first episode was smuggling stealth tech for Marco. That’s kinda neat. I’m rewatching it right now and right before the Cant blows up Ade tells Holden there’s something he needs to know. Is this also related to book spoilers or was it just her trying to get in some last words to her boyfriend before dying?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

According to the writers, that's in there because when you lose someone there's always something that you wish you would said or heard or something like that. There was no specific payoff for it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Defiance Industries posted:

According to the writers, that's in there because when you lose someone there's always something that you wish you would said or heard or something like that. There was no specific payoff for it.

Alright, thanks. I assumed that was the case, that she was trying to say something like ‘I love you’ or whatever.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
What do we think of Amos’ ideas around ‘the churn’? Not the short story, the idea. We speculate and notice neat things a lot but to me the Expanse is quite an interesting series philosophically and the last year or so has brought me a little bit more round to that way of thinking. Obviously it’s a thought pattern influenced by an incredibly brutal life. Does it have value outside of that?

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

"Don't shoot him before he falls into my clever and inescapable* trap" is very on brand for Marco and I accept your theory as valid.

he knows that the roci will go after her. lets him use a famous ship and captain as an example

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I'm surprised by the number of people I've talked to who haven't noticed that Marcos is clearly transmitting from a Martian Destroyer / ?Battlecruiser?

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 25, 2020

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Jakabite posted:

What do we think of Amos’ ideas around ‘the churn’? Not the short story, the idea. We speculate and notice neat things a lot but to me the Expanse is quite an interesting series philosophically and the last year or so has brought me a little bit more round to that way of thinking. Obviously it’s a thought pattern influenced by an incredibly brutal life. Does it have value outside of that?

I think it's just how Amos articulates nihilism. Like he says, if you live it doesn't mean anything, and if you die that doesn't mean anything either. Or when the Martian Marines are coming after them on the Behemoth, and he explains that he's going to kill them because they want to kill him and that's the only thing he cares about.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

RE: The Churn

It's pretty clearly 'We're bit players caught up in a situation far beyond our control, and the only thing I can do is what it takes to survive until tomorrow' He's not under the illusion that he'll ever float to the top, he's just determined to not sink to the bottom.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
It also plays into his great line when Laconia shows up and disintegrates a bunch of ships, and he turns to Holden and says something like, "We're about to get paved over, all we can do now is find a crack to grow through." And Holden has no idea what the gently caress he is saying.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Anonymous Zebra posted:

It also plays into his great line when Laconia shows up and disintegrates a bunch of ships, and he turns to Holden and says something like, "We're about to get paved over, all we can do now is find a crack to grow through." And Holden has no idea what the gently caress he is saying.

That is a great line. He’s probably the only character who could survive living completely alone in the heart of the beast with only some hyper advanced robots and the daughter of his absolute enemy for company. He was just growing through a crack.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I was honestly not expecting them to show the destruction. I thought last weeks effect would be it and we'd get it from Amos point of view.

I too misremembered and thought either there were more rocks or the rocks caused more damage.

I might go back and reread this book as it was one of my favorites.

As for holden not getting shot I just figured it was because the show is about him so..... all kidding aside its probably hard to shoot the guy who helped save the belt and the system from the proto molecule when the plan was 'kill Fred, steal proto'. Like I'm sure a lot of people hated Fred. I'm sure less people hate holden despite being a filthy earther.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Yeah they show Holden getting props from random belters in the bar when he’s talking to Monica. If you kill him you probably alienate a lot of belters who you’d need on your side

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Infidelicious posted:

I'm surprised by the number of people I've talked to who haven't noticed that Marcos is clearly transmitting from a Martian Destroyer / ?Battlecruiser?

It's certainly not a typical Belter ship.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

oh god dammit what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/TheExpanseWR/status/1339361599484612608

okay fine I'm eating my words

Oh I didn’t even realize there was an expanse writers account and not just James SA Corey! The writers room looks like a good follow... the pseudonym author account tweets a lot about whatever they want which while fine annoyed me.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this was probably fun to watch in person.

https://twitter.com/bahiawatson/status/1341918192701218818?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just learned in the TV thread that the belter Avrasarala was interrogating in the first episode was smuggling stealth tech for Marco. That’s kinda neat. I’m rewatching it right now and right before the Cant blows up Ade tells Holden there’s something he needs to know. Is this also related to book spoilers or was it just her trying to get in some last words to her boyfriend before dying?

Honestly I just assumed she was going to tell him she was pregnant

I don't know if that makes sense, but it's what I went with