Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You listen to the NFS (2015) pursuit tracks and are like "how is this chillstep poo poo supposed to fit police chases?" then it turns out they're so dull it fits perfectly

Heat was great at launch with police getting loving relentless but Ghost nerfed their top speed in a later patch and you can now get a loop of "there they are!!" "lost visual" several times on a single straight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a weirdo and love Midnight Club LA and still play it once a year

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
MCLA is/was a hilarious racing game. You phase through or around telephone poles and trees but god help you if you even come five feet near a streetlight because your car's collision box is about twice the width of the model and you will go from 170mph to zero instantaneously and have to restart whatever race you were doing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Escape Goat posted:

So there’s no patches for MGSV, eh? 900p on the XSX...

Not on Xbox, no.

It's a weird situation on PlayStation as well. The base version is 1080p and has better lighting than the XB1 version IIRC, and there is a Pro Patch taking it up to 1440p...but this patch is only for the all-in-one "Definitive Edition" package. If you have the standalone version of GZ it's 1080p max.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
One thing I thought I would hate about the Forza Horizon series is the chill bro g rated music festival vibe that they're going for, but after four games in the series it's completely won me over. Whoever curates their music does good work and the games are basically like digital prozac for me at this point. People can talk poo poo all they want but it's so harmless and generically positive and frankly a lot more games could learn from that kind of presentation.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

What's the best Yakuza game to start with? Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami are both on Game Pass.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Always start at 0

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
say what you will about phantom pain but I will applaud it for having the balls to have the most impossible to achieve and "Kojimaish" good ending ever.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Favorite car/racing game experience to this day is playing Midtown Madness 3 on the OG Xbox.

Capture the Gold is something I'll miss forever. (It was pretty much capture the flag, whoever has the gold has to deliver it to a location and you would take it from them by ramming their car.)

Give me a remaster of that please.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ryoga posted:

say what you will about phantom pain but I will applaud it for having the balls to have the most impossible to achieve and "Kojimaish" good ending ever.
TPP plays so well, it’s really addictive

On PC I put like 120 hours into it which I never would have expected

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The legal system can’t keep the Xboxes straight.

https://twitter.com/williamblettler/status/1342227339439202307?s=21

From a class action against CDPR for securities fraud.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Farcry 5 laced bullets. So drat effective, I sure hope they don't use these outside of lovely plot points

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

Far Cry 4 is the only one in the series I liked, but this isn't high praise as my previous favorite was the hosed up console version of 1 that was basically a different unrelated game (evolution?)

I will like anything with a chopper and grenade launcher combo. Even a dogshit ubi game

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I bought Nier Automata on sale for ~$14 in the event it goes off Game Pass soon. I see that it's Xbox One X enhanced. In the event I pick up a Series X|S or whatever equivalent in the next few years, does that mean I can eventually run the game at 4k60 or like 1440p120?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
one x enhancements are only on the series x, series s runs base xbone versions of bc games

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

This is what bums me out about NFS Heat because I have watched some YouTuber's videos of modifying cars and it looks really deep and fun (visual customization - that is) and seeing what could be done to the cars was incredibly exciting and had me contemplating picking the game up. Then I watched more videos where he did this and it was always incredibly impressive (games like Forza & GT mainly focus on under-the-hood tuning and reserve visual customization to liveries) but then I'd see him take these cars out to test them in such a dull, flat, ugly and empty open world that I was immediately turned off the game. The car customization stuff looks so fun because it doesn't seem to care much for realism and some of the creations looked like something out of Mad Max, but that's no good if the actual gameplay is horrific. It's really disappointing because I think they nailed something that nobody else in the genre has (remember when NFS Carbon let you actually deform and change the shape of body kits?) but the actual driving and racing aspect seems to always be their lowest priority and the worlds that they create to race in are just abysmal.

The last NFS reboot (the one set at night with the return to live action cutscenes) actually looked incredibly impressive graphically but just watching five minutes of actual gameplay is enough to bore you no matter how nice it looks.

The customisation is very realistic, it's just worthless to focus so much on it without giving you deep tuning capabilities.

Heats cops were insanely annoying to deal with even after the final patch. To the point I was avoiding the night missions entirely in favour of doing daily bounties or whatever.

It's a lovely rear end game that has some real good visuals but the world is so utterly boring. At least it's confirmed that frostbite engine has cross platform multiplayer support so that's a good sign for battlefield 6

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I sent a thank you message over Xbox live to the guy who MASSIVE SPOILER FOR NIER AUTOMATA’S VERY LAST SECTION sacrificed his game save to help me beat Ending E, and he responded saying thank you. Golly what a game. Let it be known that even though I had a bunch of achievements and unfinished poo poo left to do in game, I still sacrificed my own data to help out someone else: hell maybe the cycle will continue

:unsmith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I sent a thank you message over Xbox live to the guy who MASSIVE SPOILER FOR NIER AUTOMATA’S VERY LAST SECTION sacrificed his game save to help me beat Ending E, and he responded saying thank you. Golly what a game. Let it be known that even though I had a bunch of achievements and unfinished poo poo left to do in game, I still sacrificed my own data to help out someone else: hell maybe the cycle will continue

:unsmith:

You can use the otherwise useless in game currency to buy all the achievements.

My favorite being the achievement that costs 1 million money which unlocks by having 1 million money

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Stux posted:

one x enhancements are only on the series x, series s runs base xbone versions of bc games

:rip:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

teagone posted:

I bought Nier Automata on sale for ~$14 in the event it goes off Game Pass soon. I see that it's Xbox One X enhanced. In the event I pick up a Series X|S or whatever equivalent in the next few years, does that mean I can eventually run the game at 4k60 or like 1440p120?

As Stux said, Series S is just base Xbox One specs so the game would be 900p or whatever, 60fps max unless the game is capped at 30fps. On Series X, it runs like it does on a One X, so it would top out at 60/30fps, with resolution being whatever the max is on One X (e.g. 4K, 1800p, whatever).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

univbee posted:

As Stux said, Series S is just base Xbox One specs so the game would be 900p or whatever, 60fps max unless the game is capped at 30fps. On Series X, it runs like it does on a One X, so it would top out at 60/30fps, with resolution being whatever the max is on One X (e.g. 4K, 1800p, whatever).

Thanks for the details! The game runs at ~40-60 FPS on my One S. Looks like it runs at 4K at ~60 FPS on the One X. Cool. Now to just wait until I manage to get whatever next-gen variant of the Xbox Series X in a year or so lol.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Man, The Surge 2 is just absurdly good. The story and overall tone are pretty goofy and maybe too edgy, but for a game where you're repeatedly cutting off people's limbs and heads to farm specific loot as a core game mechanic, maybe you have to kinda lean into everything being ridiculous. It's just amazing how quickly it lets you play around with mechanics and rewards you for experimentation and exploration. Highly recommended for Game Pass people who like Soulslikes.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Martman posted:

Man, The Surge 2 is just absurdly good. The story and overall tone are pretty goofy and maybe too edgy, but for a game where you're repeatedly cutting off people's limbs and heads to farm specific loot as a core game mechanic, maybe you have to kinda lean into everything being ridiculous. It's just amazing how quickly it lets you play around with mechanics and rewards you for experimentation and exploration. Highly recommended for Game Pass people who like Soulslikes.

This sounds good, will give it a go.

I finally completed gta 5, seven years after purchase. I can attribute my success soundly to quick resume allowing me to have a good go in 15 minute bursts. RDR2 is next.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/status/1342515451641921536?s=20

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shout out to using a flip phone to show off their app and to say that you can stream xbox games to your phone.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Been using game pass more lately as we've been tighter on money and I have to say, games on offer are pretty good right now, but I'm a little disappointed in lack of play anywhere support from some of the newer titles. I started Greedfall, Call of the Sea, and Dragon Quest XI last week, and only DQ has play anywhere support so I can play on both my xbox and my pc and have my progress shared between them. Greedfall I didn't expect to have that feature as a AA eurojank title, but honestly pretty surprised at Call of the Sea lacking the feature, as a premier title for the Series X and a straight to game pass offer.

Call of the Sea seems really cool so far though, and it's an extremely gorgeous title with great voice acting, so make sure you don't sleep on it. I've only played one chapter so far but it's exceedingly charming already.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
GP Ultimate 14 day card that came with a controller if anyone wants it.

GQ326-TWT9Y-RMHQM-Q2D7M-W2H3Z

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

teagone posted:

Thanks for the details! The game runs at ~40-60 FPS on my One S. Looks like it runs at 4K at ~60 FPS on the One X. Cool. Now to just wait until I manage to get whatever next-gen variant of the Xbox Series X in a year or so lol.

My Series X is arriving tomorrow, but I need to play it on an older 1080p TV for now. Should I expect any improvements to games other then loads time?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Grey posted:

My Series X is arriving tomorrow, but I need to play it on an older 1080p TV for now. Should I expect any improvements to games other then loads time?

Frame rate, locking to 1080p, doing both while super sampling. Note this will vary depending on the non-series x enabled title (for series x titles just enjoy 60fps all the time)

Basically you're going to get the majority of the bennies of the system.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Coincidentally I took my Series X down to our basement and hooked it up to an old 50-something inch Toshiba 1080p set my neighbor was going to throw out earlier this year because my wife wanted to watch something on the UHD set. Borderlands 3 and Fallout 4 looked fantastic on it. I wouldn't hesitate picking up one of the new consoles and waiting for a superbowl deal next year had I not upgraded our living room TV when the pandemic initially hit.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It appears that Microsoft blocked the release of Japanese anime game Gal Gun Returns. It has upset the horny anime game community that was certain developers would jump to Xbox from the Playstation platform after they started screening anime content more seriously in 2018.

https://twitter.com/galgun_official/status/1342395407708536833

Giant Bomb highlights showing off gameplay of the original Xbox 360 game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN1SnvHSQLg

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Happy Hedonist posted:

Coincidentally I took my Series X down to our basement and hooked it up to an old 50-something inch Toshiba 1080p set my neighbor was going to throw out earlier this year because my wife wanted to watch something on the UHD set. Borderlands 3 and Fallout 4 looked fantastic on it. I wouldn't hesitate picking up one of the new consoles and waiting for a superbowl deal next year had I not upgraded our living room TV when the pandemic initially hit.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I am trying to have patience and wait for the next time the LG CX is on sale before splurging on a new TV.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

can't believe it's Nintendo that now has the Horny Allowed platform

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ruffian Price posted:

can't believe it's Nintendo that now has the Horny Allowed platform

Horny is not ready for next-gen.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Happy Hedonist posted:

Yeah I originally planned on upgrading my old-rear end 1080p TV first and then getting a series X sometime next year, but ultimately decided to go the other way around and I don't regret it at all. All the games I've tried so far on it look noticeably better even though I don't have a recent TV.

Also, stuff like the load time improvements, smart delivery, and quick resume sound nice-but-not-essential until you have them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yeah I originally planned on upgrading my old-rear end 1080p TV first and then getting a series X sometime next year, but ultimately decided to go the other way around and I don't regret it at all. All the games I've tried so far on it look noticeably better even though I don't have a recent TV.

Also, stuff like the load time improvements, smart delivery, and quick resume sound nice-but-not-essential until you have them.

I'm personally waiting for whatever the slimmer/smaller Series X revision will be and when I can get a 120 Hz VRR capable ~50" TV for less than $1000.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I recently hooked up my Series X and now for some reason there’s no sound coming out of the center channel of my audio setup. I’m using a pioneer receiver, and it works fine when watching cable, or with the PS4 or Nintendo Switch. Any idea what I can do?

I tried messing with all the audio settings on the Xbox with no luck.

I tried the ARC HDMI port and also another non-ARC HDMI port, with the same result. I’m using the same HDMI cable that I used for my Xbox One, and it worked fine then.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Barudak posted:

Frame rate, locking to 1080p, doing both while super sampling. Note this will vary depending on the non-series x enabled title (for series x titles just enjoy 60fps all the time)

Basically you're going to get the majority of the bennies of the system.

I have a similar (bunch of) question(s), and I'm pretty sure I know the answer but hell, I'll ask anyway.

I will be restricted to 1080p for the foreseeable future, if I get a Series X and play games in 'fidelity' mode or 'quality' mode or what-have-you, will I get the benefits of this mode (re. ray-tracing, better effects, etc, etc) but at a higher frame-rate due to it not being output at 4k, or will I be stuck at 30fps regardless? ( I assume the latter).

Also... is the statement "the Series S offers precisely the same gaming experience as the Series X, just at 1080p resolution" a true one?

Ultimately I wanna know whether I should opt for $29 a month for an S or $39 for X. I'll probably go for the S because its just going to be a casual game-pass box for on the couch gaming while I play fancy games on my PC, but if there is a significant difference between the two even at 1080p I might be swayed toward the X.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Simiain posted:

I have a similar (bunch of) question(s), and I'm pretty sure I know the answer but hell, I'll ask anyway.

I will be restricted to 1080p for the foreseeable future, if I get a Series X and play games in 'fidelity' mode or 'quality' mode or what-have-you, will I get the benefits of this mode (re. ray-tracing, better effects, etc, etc) but at a higher frame-rate due to it not being output at 4k, or will I be stuck at 30fps regardless? ( I assume the latter).

Also... is the statement "the Series S offers precisely the same gaming experience as the Series X, just at 1080p resolution" a true one?

Ultimately I wanna know whether I should opt for $29 a month for an S or $39 for X. I'll probably go for the S because its just going to be a casual game-pass box for on the couch gaming while I play fancy games on my PC, but if there is a significant difference between the two even at 1080p I might be swayed toward the X.

1. it entirely depends on what the developers coded but using a 1080p display will not dynamically remove a frame rate cap if one exists, no
2. depends on how you define 'gaming experience' i guess. it plays the same games as the series X but no it is not the exact same thing with a lower resolution ceiling. it is considerably less powerful than the series x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So unless the dev puts in a 1080p60 raytrace mode, you won't have it if the raytrace mode is 4k30. What you do have with the series X though is significantly more overhead. So on the Series S a game might be 1440p30 on the series x itll run 1440p60. The series s does a really good job and runs most things 1080p, but its not a guarantee and as the gen goes on may have more compromises.

A good example is Yakuza 7 where the 60fps mode is just flat higher resolution on the series X (around 1440p and never below 1080p) while the series S is stuck running 900p to achieve 60fps. Basically if you always want 60fps, even on just a 1080p tv, get a series X. If you're ok with maybe not always having 60fps or having resolution below 1080p the series S works great. For a counter, FIFA for instance runs at 4k on the Series S.

Now, to through the ultimate wrench in this whole thing and make the case for why I think you should get a series X. The Series S plays back compatible titles in One S mode, the Series X in One X mode. This means despite the significant increase in power the Series S can bring to bear over even a One X, it won't play those games in that mode so you won't get those benefits.