Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Any good apple butter recipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Not sure why but making oatmeal completely hosed my instant pot up. All I did was 2 cups of steel cut oats and 5 cups water which I've done many times in the past :(

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Did you do a manual release after it cooked?

I've had something like that happen a couple of times, where the liquid in the pot was thick enough that it foamed up, so when I released steam it tried to come out the release valve.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Whenever I cook oatmeal in my instant pot I let it naturally release for about 15 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Whenever I cook oatmeal in my instant pot I let it naturally release for about 15 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure.

Yeah, that's what I did. 4 minutes pressure and then natural release. I was in another room so not sure when exactly the gently caress up happened, but when I finally got the top off, the release vents under the lid were completely clogged with oatmeal. Must've just been a freak accident, but now sadly the release handle is busted. I think I can replace it though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If I want to cook dry beans to completion (i.e. no pre-soaking), what's the bean-to-water ratio? 1 cup beans to 5-6 cups of water? Or something else? What's the right length of time to pressure cook, as well?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Are you going for full absorption? Broth-y beans? Soup?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Carillon posted:

Are you going for full absorption? Broth-y beans? Soup?

Full absorption, low amounts of liquid, but fully cooked and creamy. It's basically meant to be a replacement for what would be canned beans, but I only have dry on hand.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Full absorption, low amounts of liquid, but fully cooked and creamy. It's basically meant to be a replacement for what would be canned beans, but I only have dry on hand.

if you don't care about using the liquid for something else, the ratio doesn't really matter so long as you have enough, just use a bunch (4x or so) and drain it later

cooking times vary by type of bean: https://instantpot.com/instantpot-cooking-time/#tab-id-3

in my experience this sometimes undershoots the actual amount of time it takes tougher beans to get tender, but that might be a function of how old the dry beans are or some other variable

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
When I want a quick, filling dinner I cook brown rice and black beans at the same time with some onion, garlic, and seasonings. The result is pretty good but I wish I could have the beans come out a bit softer without making the rice too soft. Alas

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I use a bean to water ratio of 1 to 3 for pressure cooking dried beans.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Aramoro posted:

I use a bean to water ratio of 1 to 3 for pressure cooking dried beans.

Is that volume or weight?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is that volume or weight?

I do it by weight, I try to avoid measuring anything by volume. Though I'm pretty sure in Salt Fat Acid Heat she uses volume as do many if the online resources for pressure cooking. It does mean I use more water than strictly needed but it doesn't really matter as I drain the cooked beans anyway.

If I'm cooking something with beans in it like a chilli where I want the beans to breakdown the 3:1 by weight seems pretty good for that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Pollyanna posted:

If I want to cook dry beans to completion (i.e. no pre-soaking), what's the bean-to-water ratio? 1 cup beans to 5-6 cups of water? Or something else? What's the right length of time to pressure cook, as well?

I go with 1:2 beans to water by volume. 1:3 If I plan to drain them. 30 minutes cooking followed by 30 minutes resting. Or 20 minutes cooking and then a quick release to add the rest of the stew ingredients.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

When I cook dry beans I just cover the beans, regardless of amount, in about an inch of water and go crazy. Ta-da, now you have perfectly cooked beans and also bean broth with which you can make soup or whatever else.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just made Kenji’s split pea soup and it is amazing.

Question though, what do ya’ll find the best solution for containers for excess fridge storage? Just if there are anything on amazon I should keep my eye on. I have a few glass snap lid containers and will use that for this but interested in hearing other ideas. I plan on pre making soups/stews/etc a lot more in the new year for quick and easy reheat dinners.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
For stuff like stews, I cool everything off using some 9x13 pans and frozen bottles of water in the fridge, then portion out into Mason jars (so much easier to get pre-pandemic) that I put some neoprene sleeves around to take in my bag for work.

Big fan of the Rubbermaid EasyFind sets, too, since they store so well and are square to make it easier to tetris in the fridge.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

priznat posted:

Question though, what do ya’ll find the best solution for containers for excess fridge storage? Just if there are anything on amazon I should keep my eye on. I have a few glass snap lid containers and will use that for this but interested in hearing other ideas. I plan on pre making soups/stews/etc a lot more in the new year for quick and easy reheat dinners.

i really like rubbermaid's new containers

reasons why these containers are the best imo

- under the two latches on top are little vents, so re-heating is really easy, just about anything cooks in 4:00 or less in my microwave without needing to stir
- 3.2 cups is basically the perfect size for a single soup or stew meal
- these stack pretty efficiently, about 4-5 high without getting wobbly

i have 15 of these and can make a bunch of food, freeze half of it, eat through half, make more food, freeze half of that, etc. repeat so i always have 2-3 things available for lunch so i don't get sick of it

effika
Jun 19, 2005

THS posted:

i really like rubbermaid's new containers

reasons why these containers are the best imo

- under the two latches on top are little vents, so re-heating is really easy, just about anything cooks in 4:00 or less in my microwave without needing to stir
- 3.2 cups is basically the perfect size for a single soup or stew meal
- these stack pretty efficiently, about 4-5 high without getting wobbly

i have 15 of these and can make a bunch of food, freeze half of it, eat through half, make more food, freeze half of that, etc. repeat so i always have 2-3 things available for lunch so i don't get sick of it

Oh, those look nice. If I wasn't so invested in the EasyFind system I'd take those out for a spin. I have lost one lid in the decade I've owned them and have added to the set over the years. The newer EasyFind sets have the lid vents, too.

I think the biggest thing is make sure your containers are square/rectangle and stack well!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

priznat posted:

I wound up just buying a stack of 50 those quart containers that Chinese restaurants pack to-go wonton soup in, with lids. They can be washed and reused, I stick everything in them.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phanatic posted:

I wound up just buying a stack of 50 those quart containers that Chinese restaurants pack to-go wonton soup in, with lids. They can be washed and reused, I stick everything in them.

1000% this. Except an assorted pack with a mix of quarts/pints/cups.

It's not technically as nice as having fancier ones, but it's incredibly convenient to have a huge stack of containers of different sizes you can freely use for nearly everything.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Oh gently caress yeah, delitainers are the poo poo

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I just order chinese/indian food and wash the containers they come in. Super durable and I love that they stack perfectly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Those are definitely not designed to be reused.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
If you’re not reheating in them it’s probably ok? Maybe

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I reuse and reheat in both the delitainers and the Chinese food containers all the time. Full disclosure: I DID have cancer several years back, but with the type I had I'm sure it's unrelated :v:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hello thread, I am the proud owner of a new Instant pot evo plus. I am currently on page 8 and am committed to slowly reading through the thread, but I wanted to post an experience I had tonight.

So I had about 3 cups of ham stock left over from when I made ham and green beans with my Xmas leftovers. Dinner needed to rapidly change because the grocery delivery was going to be too late. So, I thought, I'll make some kind of ham flavored beans. Eventually I settled on split peas.

So I poured in the recommended ratios of liquid and split peas, 3 to 1. I had to add a small amount of water because I was afraid I didn't have quite enough ham juice.

So I set it to pressure cook for 20 minutes, then let it release for about the same amount of time and open it up. My reaction was a very strong wtf.

It was like a very small amount of pea soup with two cups of water floating on top. Regretfully I scooped as much of the denser sludge out as possible and we ate that and then I went to sulk in my depression zone, complete failure that I was.

I looked at more recipes and they all used the same 3-1 or even 4-1 ratio. Finally, I stumbled onto Instant Pots own recipe and it said, at the very bottom, that the soup may initially appear thin, but it would thicken up with time.

So two hours later I went back to check and it was the way I had initially expected. And very delicious. Now I'm wondering what it would have been like if we hadn't eaten the sludge.

Going to have to wait until Easter to find out.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I am weighing two different models of the All American pressure canner, and not sure if I should get the bigger 21.5 qt model 921, or the 15.5qt model 915.

Right now I have a Presto that has a wonky gauge. I have to flick it to get the needle to move...

I can veggies in the summer in pretty decent sizes, but a bigger canner means for those times I don't have 15 jars of green beans, I expect the bigger size would take a lot longer to get up to pressure. Any advice? Also does anyone here have one of these monsters?

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

Hello thread, I am the proud owner of a new Instant pot evo plus. I am currently on page 8 and am committed to slowly reading through the thread, but I wanted to post an experience I had tonight.

So I had about 3 cups of ham stock left over from when I made ham and green beans with my Xmas leftovers. Dinner needed to rapidly change because the grocery delivery was going to be too late. So, I thought, I'll make some kind of ham flavored beans. Eventually I settled on split peas.

So I poured in the recommended ratios of liquid and split peas, 3 to 1. I had to add a small amount of water because I was afraid I didn't have quite enough ham juice.

So I set it to pressure cook for 20 minutes, then let it release for about the same amount of time and open it up. My reaction was a very strong wtf.

It was like a very small amount of pea soup with two cups of water floating on top. Regretfully I scooped as much of the denser sludge out as possible and we ate that and then I went to sulk in my depression zone, complete failure that I was.

I looked at more recipes and they all used the same 3-1 or even 4-1 ratio. Finally, I stumbled onto Instant Pots own recipe and it said, at the very bottom, that the soup may initially appear thin, but it would thicken up with time.

So two hours later I went back to check and it was the way I had initially expected. And very delicious. Now I'm wondering what it would have been like if we hadn't eaten the sludge.

Going to have to wait until Easter to find out.

ive found most internet recipes to be completely loving bizarre. i have no loving clue what device most of the recipe writing psychos are using but its not the one i use. it does not take as much liquid for legumes as youd think, since moisture isn’t escaping it’s all absorbed. and split peas will cook before 20 minutes id think.

on the other hand, a lot of recipes will say 30 minutes pressure cooking for regular dried beans, which unless you have insanely fresh beans, that’s going to be gritty as hell. maybe people like their beans undercooked, because for me it’s usually more like 50 minutes

a lot of instant pot is trial and error. i probably hosed up the first 5 things i cooked with it

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

THS posted:

a lot of instant pot is trial and error. i probably hosed up the first 5 things i cooked with it

Doubly so if you have a normal pressure cooker and not an instant pot. That and I'm sure half the folk out there making recipes have broken pressure cookers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The Kenji split pea soup recipe was a slam dunk and I think adding the celery helped a lot to give it some structure.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/30-minute-pressure-cooker-split-pea-soup-recipe.html

I need to keep ham steaks or hams on hand at all times to make this imo. It solidifies nicely in storage too, you scoop it like ice cream and it melts nicely in the microwave! :haw:

My next soup I want to try is a good french onion.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

THS posted:

ive found most internet recipes to be completely loving bizarre. i have no loving clue what device most of the recipe writing psychos are using but its not the one i use.

This is no joke and it’s incredibly frustrating.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
As I understand it, when you release the pressure (fast release instead of instant release) the liquid in the pressure chamber goes into a sudden, extremely fierce boil. That's not always what you want but for things like that soup it would have physically agitated your split peas so they were less separated from the liquid. It's also a good way to get split pea gunk all up in your sealing valve, so y'know, many sides.

Pressure cookers take some time to get used to, don't worry.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

THS posted:

ive found most internet recipes to be completely loving bizarre. i have no loving clue what device most of the recipe writing psychos are using but its not the one i use.

angerbeet posted:

Don't go for recipes from mommy blogs unless they're dead simple because most of them are converted slow-cooker recipes that don't always pan out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The two sources I trust most for pressure cooker recipes are seriouseats and america’s test kitchen. The rest are ymmv.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
ATK tests most of their pressure cooker recipes using a different brand of pressure cooker, so it doesn't always match up with the instant pot

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Amy and Jacky use an Instant Pot and do extensive testing sometimes - they took 17 tries to get a perfect cheesecake for example. Their tastes aren't always my tastes, but their recipes will generally come out as expected and they have detailed directions. Serious Eats, Dad Cooks Dinner, and their blog are places I consult to see if whatever random recipe I found has a fighting chance of coming out OK.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
twosleevers is another one that seems good for Indian food, I like their butter chicken recipe:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ne...instant-pot/amp

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I would say any Indian pressure cooker recipe that measures in peeps or whistles is pretty solid in my experience. Fairly easy to convert them to normal pressure cooker so I assume easy to convert to instant pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
My "favourite" thing about online recipes so far is that they don't count the time to heat up or naturally release, even though the recipe calls for that.

Baked potato in 14 minutes also involves 8 minutes of heating and 20-30 of releasing, bringing you up to 52 minutes, which I could use to make a real baked potato in the oven.

Honestly the time saving ability so far seems to be for things that normally take 3 hours or more. Everything else you can do just as easily using conventional methods.