Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

You need to finish the communist center and then repair a boat from willy. You need 5 iridium bars, 5 batteries and 200 hardwood. Then you can pay 1000 to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
island spoilers thankfully you’ll be able to build an island teleporter pretty soon after that

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Son of Rodney posted:

You need to finish the communist center and then repair a boat from willy. You need 5 iridium bars, 5 batteries and 200 hardwood. Then you can pay 1000 to go.

Your typo is funny and you should keep it that way.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

Err, question, if I put stardew valley on my pc and use the steam link app can I play 1.5 on my tablet while my kids uses the laptop for something else or does it not work like that?

not familiar with steam link specifically, but generally this stuff works where the game thinks you're at the PC still, so it needs to be the active window and all inputs go to it etc.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Thanks. I was seeing people talking about the new island after 6 hours and was starting to worry I was missing something obvious. Glad I wasn't.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

LLSix posted:

Thanks. I was seeing people talking about the new island after 6 hours and was starting to worry I was missing something obvious. Glad I wasn't.

most of those people were probably loading up saves from 1.4 where they were already deep into endgame content, so the new stuff rushed up at them

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Your typo is funny and you should keep it that way.

Yeah I left it in on purpose because it's funny and also true and good

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pierre putting up a Big Bulletin Board request for 25 gold star quality crops the week before the Stardew Valley Fair... that's weird, that's suspicious.

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

Started a split screen game with my kid. Unfortunately, after earning a level up, we can't click/press anything to progress to the save screen. Hoping for a patch soooooon

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

A) They seemed to have released a 1.5.1 patch, so I don't know what all that addresses.

B) Worked realy hard to try to build relationship in year 1 only to remember that getting rejected at the flower dance sucks

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Tylana posted:

A quick wiki dive suggests it is after repairing the community centre (no word of if Joja route does/can).

It's me, the rear end in a top hat that did the Joja route (because I had already beaten Prairie King without dying and figured gently caress it, I'll complete the achievements), so I can confirm that Willy still asked me for wood to fix the boat. I haven't gotten it all yet, but presumably the boat goes to the island just the same.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The other nice thing about Salmonberries is you can convert them into cheap Jelly, which everyone but Sebastian likes.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Salmonberries got me all the way through the mines they're great

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I had to give all my salmon berries to the community center for a new bundle

E: my girlfriend got locked into the rancher level up at 5 for some reason, how do you change your skill?

GodFish fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 26, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

GodFish posted:

I had to give all my salmon berries to the community center for a new bundle

E: my girlfriend got locked into the rancher level up at 5 for some reason, how do you change your skill?

you can save game edit if you like (https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/127/) but if you don't feel comfortable with that, there's a statue in the sewers when it opens that will let you respec for 10k

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Anyone else playing with the new profit margin options? I'm on 50% and still pinching every penny in Winter Y1, but I've got the greenhouse unlocked and a few ancient seeds so I'll be comfortably wealthy before too long.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'm way too bad/unoptimal to lower the profits, but it's a great option to put in I feel.

As said earlier, I remixed CC without guarantee and took the beach to try and break brainweasels about trying for a year 1 as well as try more non-crop things (because without sprinklers.. ouch). Works for me so far. But not rolling in cash, haha.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i haven't played since 1.2 and the 1.5 update got me back looking at my old game. a lot of the mods i used are broken/defunct and i was able to find replacements for most of them except for the ones that automate the barn doors every morning/evening and the animal sitter one which took care of the animals. is there any replacements/fixes for those?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Splash Attack posted:

i haven't played since 1.2 and the 1.5 update got me back looking at my old game. a lot of the mods i used are broken/defunct and i was able to find replacements for most of them except for the ones that automate the barn doors every morning/evening and the animal sitter one which took care of the animals. is there any replacements/fixes for those?

there's an in-game item that automagically harvests animal products, and i'm not sure it actually matters if you close the bar doors at night tbh.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Leaving the barn doors open makes zero difference.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Are you guys all just buying wood all the time? I can't fathom running out of sap. Also once you get kegs produce quality is kind of irrelevant isn't it? I stopped bothering in yr2, its just one extra thing to do on the first when there's already too much to do.

I let a section of my farm to go wood/wild and I'll go through 1-2x/week and only chop fully grown trees. Seems to do it the trick for stocking up and getting more sap than even God needs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

sap problems depend on how quickly you develop your farm. i occasionally have problems with sap but it's largely because i have most of the farm map cultivated by autumn y1. even strictly following the rule of only harvest what's mature unless you are clearing permanently, i'll frequently only end up with 800-1000 sap and it's just not enough.
and marnie's forest doesn't really keep up with ambitious building projects alone.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ugh I wish this game prevented me from planting a fruit tree where it can't grow. Put it next to a dead tree that apparently requires an iron axe (I figured the fallen over trees would be easier to remove than the stumps but I guess not lol). I guess this game will be pestering me about my drat fruit tree for a while now.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I thought I read 1.5 actually does prevent you from putting fruit trees where they can't grow, unless that was for regular trees only

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Coolguye posted:

you can save game edit if you like (https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/127/) but if you don't feel comfortable with that, there's a statue in the sewers when it opens that will let you respec for 10k

We're in a multiplayer game, do I need to edit it as the host, or does she as the player?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
A long shot I know, but does anyone here know how to convert a Stardew map in .xnb format to .tbin? I have a long-running save on Ace's Expanded Farms MTN, Cherryblossonhh's forest map specifically, but patch 1.5 and mod abandonment has made it impossible to load the old map. Ace's new farm mod uses tbins, so if I can get Cherryblossonhh's map converted over, I might be able to salvage that file. Part of me is tempted to start over, but an enormous amount of effort has gone into that farm and the map is absolutely gorgeous, so I'd love to salvage it if I can.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Alxprit posted:

I thought I read 1.5 actually does prevent you from putting fruit trees where they can't grow, unless that was for regular trees only

it could be more of a track of "tiles that are absolutely invalid" as opposed to "tiles that are currently unavailable, but will be if you clear the land next to it"

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor
we definitely made a change to the game to prevent fruit sapling placement on tiles where it won't be able to grow. i booted up a debug build and checked trying to plant a sapling near a tree stump and got the message "Your cherry sapling won't be able to grow here". if you're using mods, it may be caused by one of those, otherwise, it's possible the dead tree logs are handled in a way that the growth check doesn't account for (but even still i'm a bit confused because in vanilla, we refactored the code so that the check is the same both during placement and during the overnight growth check)

edit: this is 1.5 though, so if you're playing on console, you may be stuck with that blocked tree until you get an iron axe

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah I bought it on switch a couple days ago, so I’m out of luck!

I’m glad it warns you now though. It did warn me about being too close to another tree (some kind of bush) at least. I’m probably just going to write off the sapling and get another one at some point in the future. I picked the forest map so I’m going to turn it into an orchard/wild plant kind of farm eventually.

They’re supposed to not be able to grow when the tiles around them aren’t clear. That’s just objects like weeds right? Does enclosing them in a fence help with that?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Eeyo posted:

Yeah I bought it on switch a couple days ago, so I’m out of luck!

I’m glad it warns you now though. It did warn me about being too close to another tree (some kind of bush) at least. I’m probably just going to write off the sapling and get another one at some point in the future. I picked the forest map so I’m going to turn it into an orchard/wild plant kind of farm eventually.

They’re supposed to not be able to grow when the tiles around them aren’t clear. That’s just objects like weeds right? Does enclosing them in a fence help with that?

No, a fence will still inhibit growth and from what I've read on reddit will prevent the tree from improving in quality. A fruit tree's quality will improve every year it lives (silver, gold, iridium)

Edit:
"1.4: Removed prior requirement that fruit trees will not age if their 3x3 grid is not kept clear of objects, flooring, and terrain features (including grass)."

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 27, 2020

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Oh I mean with grass/weeds. Does the fence prevent things from spawning inside, or is it just the movement of grass?

Like I’d have to leave the 3x3 square clear but I could put a fence around that or something.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Eeyo posted:

Oh I mean with grass/weeds. Does the fence prevent things from spawning inside, or is it just the movement of grass?

Like I’d have to leave the 3x3 square clear but I could put a fence around that or something.

No, the fence doesn't prevent it entirely. If anything does prevent your fruit tree from growing should should get a warning when you wake up. The best option is to clear all the debris around it and just check it daily so no weeds spread around the tree or spontaneously grow there.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mr. Podunkian posted:

we definitely made a change to the game to prevent fruit sapling placement on tiles where it won't be able to grow. i booted up a debug build and checked trying to plant a sapling near a tree stump and got the message "Your cherry sapling won't be able to grow here". if you're using mods, it may be caused by one of those, otherwise, it's possible the dead tree logs are handled in a way that the growth check doesn't account for (but even still i'm a bit confused because in vanilla, we refactored the code so that the check is the same both during placement and during the overnight growth check)

edit: this is 1.5 though, so if you're playing on console, you may be stuck with that blocked tree until you get an iron axe

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1343114133860798464?s=19

Thanks for everything you do!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

GodFish posted:

We're in a multiplayer game, do I need to edit it as the host, or does she as the player?

You as the host make the changes

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

:emptyquote:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Yeah very cool, almost makes up for never finishing the underside. (no but seriously good job, what did you work on?)

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Sprinklers in the slime hutch! Never mattered before, in there!

I guess it's never really been a priority item on my farm, but it's nice to have it be a little more build-and-forget with everything else going on in my 1.5 save.

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor
hahah, thanks everyone!

working with CA has been a really collaborative process, and i think because of how we work together, i don't think there's any clearer answer i can give to the question "what did you work on" besides, saying "well, the 1.5 update."

often there will be a high level idea, like (spoiler for 1.5's primary addition)"add an island you can visit post-game", and we'll break the idea into parts and coordinate with one another to slowly build up the scaffolding for that (which, i guess is pretty similar to how any other team works). obviously, because he's doing the writing, music, artwork (in addition to the code) which is all extremely time consuming, sometimes i've got some downtime to mess around and put together a goofy random feature i've thought of, and he's been incredibly cool about saying "yeah, that's cool!" and then surprising me a few days later with a whole new layer he's added on top of it.

another thing that can't be stressed enough is how much he actually puts stock into suggestions made by players. he'll randomly read a tweet/reddit/forum post and ask me "hey, a lot of people want to sit on chairs. how hard do you think it'd be to make it so you could sit on furniture", which sounds like a superficial feature and one i feel a lot of larger teams would just be like "eh, we don't have the time!", but because we've got the luxury of working at our own pace (and because we're both incredibly fast workers anyways), it'll often be like an few hours' worth of work and wow, now you can sit on a couch in front of your TV. one or two more days later and wow you can sit on a bench next to penny and maru in town! then of course, out of nowhere, you can sit on the swings in the playground ???

generally how it breaks down though, is that i really enjoy working on weird systems and frameworks, and he's always got plenty of art and music and writing that needs to be created so the work often splits along that line, but because we're both interdisciplinary developers, it's a vague boundary at best and we'll often cross it and just do whatever needs to be done to get stuff finished.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Mr. Podunkian posted:

another thing that can't be stressed enough is how much he actually puts stock into suggestions made by players. he'll randomly read a tweet/reddit/forum post and ask me "hey, a lot of people want to sit on chairs. how hard do you think it'd be to make it so you could sit on furniture", which sounds like a superficial feature and one i feel a lot of larger teams would just be like "eh, we don't have the time!", but because we've got the luxury of working at our own pace (and because we're both incredibly fast workers anyways), it'll often be like an few hours' worth of work and wow, now you can sit on a couch in front of your TV. one or two more days later and wow you can sit on a bench next to penny and maru in town! then of course, out of nowhere, you can sit on the swings in the playground ???

I dreamed of Stardew 2 being set on a Hawaii-ish island and y'all came through in spades.

:dance: Jazzed we have an exemplary goon in the game industry backing up a passionate developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah, thanks so much for this game that just keeps giving. I'd have plonked down money for several expansions at this point happily (and still would!) and yet here we are at 1.5 with the games content like tripled or more from launch all for the initial purchase.

But I do the next best thing and just buy it for every platform I own. Can't wait to couch co-op this on the switch with my wife!