Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

:gaming: OpenEmu 2.3 has been released :gaming:

OpenEmu 2.3 is out, and now supports Big Sur. No Apple Silicon yet, runs in Rosetta 2 for now.

Light gun support for PS1 and Saturn added.

Full list of fixes/features: https://openemu.org/rnotes/2.3.html

It actually looks like eventual support for 4DO is coming, as I've got some 3DO ROMs that suddenly appear in my games list, but will refuse to run as the 'Cores' module doesn't seem to have been written yet.

Oh hot drat! I just started playing Front Mission on it the other day and was going to see if my Switch Super Famicom controller could hook up to it as well. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Correct. The ecobee thermostat should be homekit certified.

You can also get a homekit compatible router like the Eero which, when you set it up in homekit, will put firewalls around any homekit devices on your network to prevent them from communicating with the internet at large, forcing them to go through the homekit hub.

This could be useful if you have homekit devices which support multiple home automation services and you don't trust them to not be taking to the internet.

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036319531-How-to-use-HomeKit-with-your-eero-Network

There's a home automation thread on SA that may have more informed people as well.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3635963

Thanks. Annoyingly, Ecobee seems to be the one major manufacturer that's North America only. Same chat in the home automation thread. I'll keep up the search.

---

For actual Mac software chat, I've just upgraded to Catalina (I was hanging on for a vital app to go 64). In iTunes I liked to be in "songs" view, and then when you search, it narrows the songs list to matching songs. Now in the Music app, it jumps you to a graphical results page, which I don't like. Any way to go back to the old way?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

redeyes posted:

Why does apple have such a boner for ULTMATE SECURITY. It's loving obnoxious.

Because the average user is fuckin stupid op

Hth

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bobstar posted:

Thanks. Annoyingly, Ecobee seems to be the one major manufacturer that's North America only. Same chat in the home automation thread. I'll keep up the search.

---

For actual Mac software chat, I've just upgraded to Catalina (I was hanging on for a vital app to go 64). In iTunes I liked to be in "songs" view, and then when you search, it narrows the songs list to matching songs. Now in the Music app, it jumps you to a graphical results page, which I don't like. Any way to go back to the old way?

I did a few seconds of searching and maybe this would work? When I stayed in Germany for a month a couple of years ago I had a setup that this likely would have worked for.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/02/netatmo-smart-thermostat-smart-radiator-valves-homekit-europe/

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

redeyes posted:

Why does apple have such a boner for ULTMATE SECURITY. It's loving obnoxious.

They started getting paranoid when the FBI asked them to backdoor their iPhones and said 'no, screw you'

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I did a few seconds of searching and maybe this would work? When I stayed in Germany for a month a couple of years ago I had a setup that this likely would have worked for.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/02/netatmo-smart-thermostat-smart-radiator-valves-homekit-europe/

Ah, I had discounted them because they don't support OpenTherm, but it looks like they have a secret, more expensive option that does. Thanks!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

is there a way to have iCloud only store a certain amount of photos on your phone, but still have everything new backup automatically to a mac? I already have Photos set to keep a local copy of everything on my Mac, and ideally I'd downgrade my iCloud storage to the minimum and have the phone keep a year or two saved but every new photo would automatically end up on my Mac's hard drive.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had no idea that BBEdit still existed. I used it to build my first websites! :corsair:

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

I had no idea that BBEdit still existed. I used it to build my first websites! :corsair:

yeah ok gramps

- This post sent from my Apple iPhone 3GS

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

TACD posted:

Seems like I’m the only one using TextMate

Nope, I use TextMate all the time. That and MacVimare my 2 go to editors.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

I'm a fan of CotEditor. It's free on the App Store.

https://coteditor.com

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

Netatmo thermo requires internet to do the programming so if their cloud server goes down/app gets discontinued, you won’t be able to edit the thermostat/valves schedule(just instant temperature). Source: my Netatmo thermostat + valves.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 26, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

Netatmo thermo requires internet to do the programming so if their cloud server goes down/app gets discontinued, you won’t be able to edit the thermostat/valves schedule(just instant temperature). Source: my Netatmo thermostat + valves.

Can’t you just create automations in HomeKit for that?

Just set the trigger as a time of day and the action to be changing the temperature or adjusting the valves. I don’t think anything should have to happen in the app for the device.

Edit: like this

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 26, 2020

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

Can’t you just create automations in HomeKit for that?

Just set the trigger as a time of day and the action to be changing the temperature or adjusting the valves. I don’t think anything should have to happen in the app for the device.

The valves/thermostat have no object/programming permanence, every status change comes from the internet so if internet goes down, HomeKit might not be able to fire up automation. I’ll test it tomorrow as RN the boiler is shut down.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

The valves/thermostat have no object/programming permanence, every status change comes from the internet so if internet goes down, HomeKit might not be able to fire up automation. I’ll test it tomorrow as RN the boiler is shut down.

I would think the automations should work. All it does is send singular change commands to the device. The device doesn’t need any knowledge about previous states or plans for future states. That’s what the hub for HomeKit handles.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Bobstar posted:

---

For Music, you want to be using the filter field. Apparently, I didn't need to set the regular search shortcut to something else, but if it behaves strangely then maybe change that, too. At the very least, you'll need both the show and hide options, otherwise pressing cmd-f will only open, not hide the little search filter pane. Also, remember that for changing shortcut keys like this, you need to type the menu item's name exactly, so if you're not using english, you'll need to sort out what the appropriate menu item is.

f.e: Wow, there's a ton of wasted space in that screenshot.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Is there an accepted best practice for setting a NAS up on MacOS? I’ve got a lot of music and for storage reasons I’d prefer to house my music library on there in possible. Thought it was working well until today when I found the music library had cloned itself into the hard drive music folder lol.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Zenostein posted:

For Music, you want to be using the filter field. Apparently, I didn't need to set the regular search shortcut to something else, but if it behaves strangely then maybe change that, too. At the very least, you'll need both the show and hide options, otherwise pressing cmd-f will only open, not hide the little search filter pane. Also, remember that for changing shortcut keys like this, you need to type the menu item's name exactly, so if you're not using english, you'll need to sort out what the appropriate menu item is.

f.e: Wow, there's a ton of wasted space in that screenshot.

That's the badger. Thanks :)

SlowBloke posted:

Much appreciated. All I want to do is set a target temperature from my phone, and maybe schedule a daily shutoff at 2300 in case we forget, without having my thermostat on the internet with another proprietary cloud account. Seems like it should be that hard, but that's IoT/capitalism...

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 27, 2020

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I can't seem to figure out how to get the aux cable running from one of my synthesizers into the headphone jack, to be used as input. I read all the Google guides about going to settings, changing the input, but doesn't work.
Oh should I upgrade to Big Surg or will I be disappointed.

Binary Badger posted:

:gaming: OpenEmu 2.3 has been released :gaming:

OpenEmu 2.3 is out, and now supports Big Sur. No Apple Silicon yet, runs in Rosetta 2 for now.

Light gun support for PS1 and Saturn added.

Full list of fixes/features: https://openemu.org/rnotes/2.3.html

It actually looks like eventual support for 4DO is coming, as I've got some 3DO ROMs that suddenly appear in my games list, but will refuse to run as the 'Cores' module doesn't seem to have been written yet.

That is very cool, would really like good Saturn emulation.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Was playing around with my pocket operator today and wondered the same thing. My MBP seems to pick up when I plug a TRRS plug in and add a mic input so it should theoretically be possible but I can’t figure out for the life of me how to just take something from a line out jack with a standard TRS cable and have MacOS pick it up.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone have any recommendations on tools to cleanup photo libraries or should I just give Tim Apple more money for more iCloud.

Both the waifu and mother in law have gigantic photo libraries and have duplicates, multiple versions of pictures, etc. that neither of them are going to ever spend any time cleaning up, but would be happy to see what a program could do.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rollie Fingers posted:

I was going crazy trying to figure out why scrolling had suddenly becoming so choppy inside Safari. Turns out AdGuard was causing it. I closed it down and everything's back to normal.

Is there a reliable alternative to AdGuard for Safari?
Just wondering, are you using the advanced filters one in AdGuard? I think that’s the old JavaScript style rules (and won’t be as performant), so curious if disabling that one might fix the issue.

(...course then you lose out on those filters :shrug:)

the corona quid posted:

Was playing around with my pocket operator today and wondered the same thing. My MBP seems to pick up when I plug a TRRS plug in and add a mic input so it should theoretically be possible but I can’t figure out for the life of me how to just take something from a line out jack with a standard TRS cable and have MacOS pick it up.
They used to do combo in/out jacks (and optical even!) but have been out only for a while now I think. I guess a TRRS splitter might work cause the headphone mic support but that’d be mono only I assume.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Yeah, 1/8 inch jacks on MBPs only have mono mic inputs via TRRS since the first retinas in 2012. You're gonna need a DAC for stereo line input.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bobstar posted:

This is interesting to me, because I'm trying and failing to find a smart thermostat (in the EU) which I can control from my iPhone, but which doesn't see the internet - I eventually want to create a separate VLAN for my IoT devices and keep them walled off from the outside world. So HomeKit certified ones should allow this?

Tado is HomeKit certified as well. Hive is poo poo, do not buy it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Yeah, 1/8 inch jacks on MBPs only have mono mic inputs via TRRS since the first retinas in 2012. You're gonna need a DAC for stereo line input.

Not to be overly pedantic, but I'm sure you meant to say that they will need an ADC, not a DAC.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

TheMadMilkman posted:

Not to be overly pedantic, but I'm sure you meant to say that they will need an ADC, not a DAC.

You are technically correct, the best kind of correct. The point is that you need some kind of dongle, hub, or audio interface for line-input.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

nexxai posted:

yeah ok gramps

- This post sent from my Apple iPhone 3GS

Nisus Writer still exists. :stare:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Wasn't Nisus originally written in 68k assembly so it would be incredibly small and fast then new macs, or am I thinking of a different wp?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Wasn't Nisus originally written in 68k assembly so it would be incredibly small and fast then new macs, or am I thinking of a different wp?
your thinking of writenow

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Tado is HomeKit certified as well. Hive is poo poo, do not buy it.

I saw them and discounted it because

"No Internet connection just means that controlling your heating or air conditioning remotely via the mobile or web app is not possible during this time."

And also because lots of people were moaning about a monthly fee to use the app, but again, if basic temperature setting via HomeKit is possible on LAN only, that would be fine (and cheaper than the Netatmo mentioned above).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bobstar posted:

I saw them and discounted it because

"No Internet connection just means that controlling your heating or air conditioning remotely via the mobile or web app is not possible during this time."

And also because lots of people were moaning about a monthly fee to use the app, but again, if basic temperature setting via HomeKit is possible on LAN only, that would be fine (and cheaper than the Netatmo mentioned above).

If its homekit certified it should work through the internet as well, as long as both the homekit hub and the iphone/ipad/mac that you're trying to change the temp through are online.

Reading through this review it looks like the only thing you'd need to pay for if you wanted it is their automated temp controls that turn up/down the temp depending on your presence in the home. You can do that with a few automations in homekit so I don't really see the value in that unless you REALLY value saving a half hour of your time in setting that up initially.

https://homekitnews.com/2019/09/30/tado-smart-ac-control-v3-review/

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

If its homekit certified it should work through the internet as well, as long as both the homekit hub and the iphone/ipad/mac that you're trying to change the temp through are online.

Reading through this review it looks like the only thing you'd need to pay for if you wanted it is their automated temp controls that turn up/down the temp depending on your presence in the home. You can do that with a few automations in homekit so I don't really see the value in that unless you REALLY value saving a half hour of your time in setting that up initially.

https://homekitnews.com/2019/09/30/tado-smart-ac-control-v3-review/

Cool. I have just seen in their compatibility guide that it's suitable for my brand of heating system, except when the existing thermostat controls the fan - which mine does. So I think my heating system may be too obscure for an easy smart retrofit. Might contact the installers for advice.

Thanks all for the HomeKit enlightenment anyway :)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

FMguru posted:

your thinking of writenow

Ah, right.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I still remember typing dot commands to format text in WordPerfect for the Apple //GS..

Still have the big blue box sitting on top of a file cabinet..

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on tools to cleanup photo libraries or should I just give Tim Apple more money for more iCloud.

Both the waifu and mother in law have gigantic photo libraries and have duplicates, multiple versions of pictures, etc. that neither of them are going to ever spend any time cleaning up, but would be happy to see what a program could do.

I used Gemini2 in iPhoto to address my duplicates. Gemini2 worked pretty well and got about 75% of the dupes, I still had to go in and do a lot of hand pruning, but was happy it erred on the side of caution rather than just wiping out everything. Only downside is it's MacPaw and when I used it last it loved to tell me how I needed CleanMyMac and that I really needed It installed NOW!

I also tried Photos Duplicate Cleaner, Duplicate Cleaner for iPhoto, and Aperture when it was around. Out of those Aperture was the best.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Does Safari on Big Sur crash quite a lot for anyone else? I'm getting probably 1 hard crash a day. I don't ever recall Safari crashing like this under Catalina or other recent versions of macOS. Beachballs sure but not hard crashes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don’t recall safari crashing at all on my Mini since installing Sur quite some time ago.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Safari crashes once a day for me in Big Sur. I'm wonderinng if it's an extension or content blocker that's the culprit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ve had an uptime of since just after the latest BS update dropped and I honestly can’t remember a single Safari crash in all that time. Anecdotally, I mean. I’m running no extensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I haven’t had any safari issues