Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

The Sober Professor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also don’t drink! I’m just interested in Ireland for the nature and the lore (and because unimpressive white guys seem to bag hot redheads over there with some regularity) it seems like a great place to spend a few weeks, get some writing done like the ancient masters.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm Irish so I'm biased but just smh if you're not into The Third Policeman

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I stopped drinking heavily after a few blackout-y incidents over the past couple years. Wandering around Camden blacked out alone for hours on a Saturday night and somehow still having everything I own when I got home is one of the most terrifyingly impressive things I’ve ever done. Also when I checked my bank account the next morning I had been to Subway like 3 separate times.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I'm not Irish.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

goblin week posted:

I'm not Irish.

Mods????

Bust Rodd posted:

(and because unimpressive white guys seem to bag hot redheads over there with some regularity)

Irish men in general are extremely bad in terms of asking women out, being direct etc... so if you are in any way obvious like "hey do you want to go out and get food/drink/whatever", it'll usually work.
not many redheads around these days though!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
roof hopping in cyberpunk might get me to finally try out mirror's edge catylyst. people say night city was a waste of resources, but it's given me a lot of joy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If you want cool parkour roof-hopping that also has a solid action game attached, I would suggest giving Dying Light a shot instead. Mirror's Edge has the slightly better parkour, I suppose, but I found it overall less compelling due to how lackluster so much of the rest of it is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i've played it a bit. i don't like zombies, but moreover it's a tense game. i need a bit more chill in my wanderlust games.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

If you want cool parkour roof-hopping that also has a solid action game attached, I would suggest giving Dying Light a shot instead. Mirror's Edge has the slightly better parkour, I suppose, but I found it overall less compelling due to how lackluster so much of the rest of it is.

Don’t let BP see you said that

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rinkles posted:

roof hopping in cyberpunk might get me to finally try out mirror's edge catylyst. people say night city was a waste of resources, but it's given me a lot of joy.

the only people saying that are seriously morons, IMO, Night City is the best looking metropolis in video games (and yes I'm including Orgrimmar, you pedants!)

It's just nice to have a real city after having to bite my tongue when people talk about Novigrad or Prague as being "realistic urban environments", because now I can go "lmao no" and just point to Night City, and actual place with highways and neighborhoods and streets and infrastructure that literally makes sense.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depends wether its original Mirrors Edge, which is good, or the pseudo sequel/remake which is an okay game stapled to one of the worst designed open worlds I've ever seen.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Simone Magus posted:

I'm Irish so I'm biased but just smh if you're not into The Third Policeman

Cross posting this lol

fridge corn posted:

The Third Policeman would make a really good point and click adventure game imo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ghost of Tsushima is really pissing me off cuz I keep pressing R1 to attack. How do I fix this my samurai is dieing

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Ah, Nioh syndrome. I know it well.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I gave up playing Nioh before even completing the first level cuz the controls pissed me off so much :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

...is that a dopefish? I haven't seen one since Commander Keen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

the only people saying that are seriously morons, IMO, Night City is the best looking metropolis in video games (and yes I'm including Orgrimmar, you pedants!)

It's just nice to have a real city after having to bite my tongue when people talk about Novigrad or Prague as being "realistic urban environments", because now I can go "lmao no" and just point to Night City, and actual place with highways and neighborhoods and streets and infrastructure that literally makes sense.

Yeah Night city is like 50% of the appeal of the game. It’s amazingly designed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Nioh 2 at least let’s you custom map all of the buttons...EXCEPT o for some inexplicable reason, so you can never map dodge to the right button.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Nioh 2 at least let’s you custom map all of the buttons...EXCEPT o for some inexplicable reason, so you can never map dodge to the right button.
I could swear I remember Nioh 1 allowing me to do that as well... I think I just gave up on it eventually because it made navigating menus too confusing to stick with it.

I hate it when a game only lets you rebind a button completely, for everything, rather than based on actual in-game context. That is lovely-rear end game design and it needs to die already.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

I could swear I remember Nioh 1 allowing me to do that as well...

It didn't !

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Alright then! Guess I am thinking of a different game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh poo poo doom eternal was this year wasn't it... time to add another title to the list...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh poo poo doom eternal was this year wasn't it... time to add another title to the list...

It was in March, it was literally the last time I bought a game in a shop :eyepop:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just played Bugsnax for three hours. It's good, folx

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It might sound impossible, until you see and sandwich climb a wall.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've been playing Tony Hawk last night/today and am already developing Tony Hawk thumb like back in the good old days.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yup that is totally a thing, it was peak nostalgia to get thumb issues from playing.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Just like my other post recently about people in games looking at me funny for wanting the game to not hitch I had to fight and implement a system to rectify that myself for a narrative heavy game a few years ago, but that involved tweaking every line as necessary by hand... and there was like 2 hours of dialogue so that took a while. That'd be somebody's full time job for a game like Cyberpunk.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Which is a perfectly good and correct position to have for a game that size, really. It's simply direction, in the theater and movie sense - just like no movie would have the actors stiffly recite their lines one after the other with a fixed-length silence between them, a game that wants its voiced dialogue to sound good and natural really needs someone to mix it by hand (or script the dialogue playback accordingly, as it were) to ensure that this does not happen there, either.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The actual massive gently caress up in terms of storytelling in Cyberpunk is the texting system. It’s a total mess.
When you send a text you get a reply instantaneously, no matter how long your messages are.

Also it sorts new at the top like no text app in the world does.

That would be an easy thing to fix but it’s so immersion breaking when V sends a long text and you instantly get a super long reply!

Also I’m a dumbass and only figured out now you can hold Down on the D pad to call people :aaaaa:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

BurningBeard posted:

Late merry Christmas goons.

I bought Celeste and my thumbs hurt but this is the best platformer I have played in years. It’s a powerful reminder of aging. I’m consistently amazed at taking one look at a room and going, “You want me to do what?” and then doing it. Fantastic design all around. Can’t believe I missed out on this when it came out.

Trying to decide on what to snag from the sale now. I have it narrowed down to a few if anyone has thoughts.

Kentucky Route Zero
Dragon’s Dogma
Nier Automata
Nioh 2
The Messenger
Blasphemous
Superhot
Tony Hawk 1/2 remaster

Goon opinions are gold. What should I buy?

I have only played Superhot on that list: I loved it on PC (with mouse +kb) even if it is a little bit up its own bum with the "story". It's more of a puzzle/strategy game with shooter mechanics than the other way around, which suits me as I'm not great at twitchy games. Throw on a playlist of classical music (or the original Matrix soundtrack) and go to town on red guys, heck yeah.

I picked up SuperHot VR this week and it is also a blast; felt maybe a little too short but still well worth it, especially on sale. Very immersive and satisfying, the minimalistic graphics pair well with the VR's somewhat limited capabilities.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The actual massive gently caress up in terms of storytelling in Cyberpunk is the texting system. It’s a total mess.
When you send a text you get a reply instantaneously, no matter how long your messages are.

Also it sorts new at the top like no text app in the world does.

That would be an easy thing to fix but it’s so immersion breaking when V sends a long text and you instantly get a super long reply!

Also I’m a dumbass and only figured out now you can hold Down on the D pad to call people :aaaaa:
It doesn't sort new at the top but it DOES frequently put the messages out of order so they make no loving sense

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

God the platforming in Doom Eternal is lovely, especially when you've almost finished a section, make one slip up and it sends you all the way back to the start instead of the last solid platform you were on.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sakurazuka posted:

God the platforming in Doom Eternal is lovely, especially when you've almost finished a section, make one slip up and it sends you all the way back to the start instead of the last solid platform you were on.

Take off the enhanced air control rune, it lets you unconsciously gently caress up a lot of overly tuned long jumps

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

:3:

Cardiovorax posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

Depends wether its original Mirrors Edge, which is good, or the pseudo sequel/remake which is an okay game stapled to one of the worst designed open worlds I've ever seen.

:catstare:

Escobarbarian posted:

Don’t let BP see you said that

:hai:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I am considering getting Doom Aeterneal in the sale since I loved the first but I know this one was a bit more..mixed? Also cutscenes seem like a bad choice.

Also strongly considering getting Donut County to pair with Untitled Goose Game in my 'joke games I'll probably play for a few hours each' category

Someone gifted me the new Spider-Man too but I'm inexplicably in too deep on this playthrough of series lowpoint Assassin's Creed 3 to back out now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Opinions about Eternal are very split. A lot of people can agree that the tiny ammo inventory and the way the game forces you to keep doing glory kills because you just can't carry anything are kind of annoying, but otherwise, as many people loved it for being different from Doom 2016 as hated it for the same reason.

If I had to put it into words, I would say that it feels like the Doom 2 to Doom2016's Doom 1. There's less of a continuous sense of place to it, you more or less jump from one disconnected setpiece location to another. On the other hand, that gives it a lot more variety in environments, even if there's less of a unifying aesthetic to it all.

It's not a bad game. It's not even necessarily a worse game than Doom 2016. It's different, though, in a sufficiently large number of subtle ways that they add up to something that it doesn't quite feel like the same thing.