Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Childe/Beidou or Childe/Xiangling are pretty unholy terrors, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Xiangling with a crescent pike works great as a DPS, though she doesn't put out nearly as much damage with other weapons.

Childe does a lot of damage but he's a weirdo --- unless you whale for C6 he has a lot of downtime, so he needs a team that has a second leveled dps to hit stuff while he's waiting on cooldowns. He's not really usable as your only DPS for that reason. So if you are going to level Childe, make sure to equally level a second non-Childe dps (xiangling, maybe beidou).

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Mona ain't a carry, but if you're looking for a burst support that's pretty much her defined niche.

Saxophone posted:

Yeah I must have this character.

This will come up for everyone eventually, I guess, but she's a 4* pyro spear user in a game with a good (and free) 4* pyro spear user. There's going to be a lot of direct comparisons about five minutes after the patch goes live. It'd be really nice if she's a better support without the option to be a carry.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Unlocked the new domain so I can start getting new bling for Childe & Chongyun. That was a surprisingly involved quest. Also drat this mountain is my new favorite tiny region in the game. They do a lot with a pretty small spread of land and the atmosphere is so amazingly desolate and vaguely spooky. Incredibly my jam.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Yeah, I've been impressed with the new area. I already thought Liyue was more fun to explore than Mondstadt, so I'm hoping that trend continues with each update.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drat, I gave Bennet some pretty meh artifacts and set him up with a skyrider sword because he wasn't getting a ton of energy beforehand and brought him up to 40 and he's basically made my entire team self sufficient with that healing bonus. Dude's great, and also pretty dumb from his voice lines.

Won't be making him a DPS because god I cannot imagine investing 243 purple books to pull that off, but how should I set him up artifacts wise? I feel like the Burst lasts a lot shorter than it should be but I never had him so it's not like I was totally correct on that anyway.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

drat, I gave Bennet some pretty meh artifacts and set him up with a skyrider sword because he wasn't getting a ton of energy beforehand and brought him up to 40 and he's basically made my entire team self sufficient with that healing bonus. Dude's great, and also pretty dumb from his voice lines.

His story is kind of sad and heartwarming, he's not as dumb as he sounds, there's a reason for his attitude. Benny best boy :shobon:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

My first fully ascended character.

I feel empty. My resin feels empty. I never want to see Geocube again.

On to ascending Klee. :negative:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Bussamove posted:

My first fully ascended character.

I feel empty. My resin feels empty. I never want to see Geocube again.

On to ascending Klee. :negative:

The pyro vine is crazy easy, just take whatever regular team you have and swap in Barbara to bust the shield. You'll think nothing of it after the fifth or so run.

That said, I cannot believe there's 120 crimson agates in dragonspine. I feel like I'm really digging through the weeds just to get 80. I don't want to have to use a video guide again. :negative:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

inthesto posted:

The pyro vine is crazy easy, just take whatever regular team you have and swap in Barbara to bust the shield. You'll think nothing of it after the fifth or so run.

That said, I cannot believe there's 120 crimson agates in dragonspine. I feel like I'm really digging through the weeds just to get 80. I don't want to have to use a video guide again. :negative:

There's 79 overworld agates, the rest are from Crimson Wish.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

inthesto posted:

Oh yeah the regisvines are the biggest jokes in the room. It's just so much drat time to get the necessary crystals to ascend at 80.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's really funny how Qiqi continues to trivialize alot of the stuff the game throws at you. The whole freezing mechanic has been basically a non issue since I can walk around at full and fight without any worry with her around.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Ibblebibble posted:

There's 79 overworld agates, the rest are from Crimson Wish.

There are at least 85. You need 80 to even unlock Crimson Wish.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

RareAcumen posted:

Won't be making him a DPS because god I cannot imagine investing 243 purple books to pull that off, but how should I set him up artifacts wise? I feel like the Burst lasts a lot shorter than it should be but I never had him so it's not like I was totally correct on that anyway.

DPS is harder, but Support is super comfy. His ATK boost is base ATK only, so like... whatever sword has your best attack. I gave him the free sword from 1.2. His heals scale off HP, so make him chonky. His damage as support is completely negligible so after he's stacked with HP it's all energy regen. In most teams he doesn't really need that much energy regen to ult on cooldown but what else are you going to put on him. If you have a bunch of crappy HP Scholar/Exile artifacts, now is the time for them to shine.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Anora posted:

There are at least 85. You need 80 to even unlock Crimson Wish.
70, since you don't need to level up to rank one.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Oh, that makes a lot more sense.

Still, I need 15 more, and I hate doing scavenger hunts like this

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Currently the most anyone has found is 79 in the world afaik with 2 sets of quests so people like me are at 89

RareAcumen posted:

If you just want him as an ult bot, you go with (for the 3 artifacts you can pick the stats of)

ER Timepiece
HP Cup
Healing % Mask.

You either go 4 nobless if he's always gonna be with a fire character (like on my team) or the 4* sets that have Energy regen 2 piece if you aren't, you want him to be rotating ult on CD

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 26, 2020

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Asimo posted:

70, since you don't need to level up to rank one.

gently caress, for some weird reason I had it in my head that you did need to.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Xiangling with a crescent pike works great as a DPS, though she doesn't put out nearly as much damage with other weapons.

Childe does a lot of damage but he's a weirdo --- unless you whale for C6 he has a lot of downtime, so he needs a team that has a second leveled dps to hit stuff while he's waiting on cooldowns. He's not really usable as your only DPS for that reason. So if you are going to level Childe, make sure to equally level a second non-Childe dps (xiangling, maybe beidou).

Childe can definitely act without downtime.

The secret is to get Viridescent and then go for that sweet sweet crit dmg stat while ignoring a hydro artifact for attack%. Even with his normal attack he outdpses most characters in that category. And his E is hilariously OP. I regularly hit for 2k damage with 65%-70% crit and 120-150% crit damage with his E on every attack. And then you factor in how fast he attacks along with his extra damage from riptide. Which self applies at his last talent.

The only problem with this is that this is not viable prior to getting his last talent. Without the talent that lets you apply riptide in melee he has a lot of jank to him. Once you get it though he literally ascends to basically become a small part of the boss fight against him.

If you want a weird (yet strangely effective) team comp, try a refined Favonius with Ning oriented towards damage in terms of artifact layout, Zhongli for resonance, interrupts, and creating shields when you're not spamming meteor for CC and absurd crits, Tartaglia with Viridescent for AOE and rapidly bursting down groups, and either Barbara or Bennett for healing. In the case of Bennett you're relying more on Zhongli's shield to help mitigate damage.

The end resulting damage can obliterate pretty much anything in the game. Especially if you have Ning's C1. She just craps out energy with a favonius that is moderately refined (I have mine at 3 or so due to getting a lot of favonius codex drops.) due to each independent hit of her 6-12 attacks on burst and 4 attacks all being counted independently for potential crits. Spawning her shield also fuels her burst and Zhongli's burst.

Tartaglia is your "gently caress it, everything around this character is about to die" button for when you've got a lot of enemies you want to just get obliterated nearby that can be sucked into the vortex. Also, he works wonders for rapidly soloing bigger mobs (Like the rock giant hilichurls) once the shield is down.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Archonex posted:

Good words

I may have to try this. I've been running Childe/Beidou/Bennett/???

Sucrose worked fine, but didn't add as much as I'd have liked and I found I wasn't using her enough. It's possible I just don't "get" sucrose. She's C1 tho.

But I've also thrown Ning into that trio and it's made Beidou feel pretty redundant. I really like Beidou, and she's my only other 80 besides Childe but I'm tempted to bench her and try other things.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Osmosisch posted:

His story is kind of sad and heartwarming, he's not as dumb as he sounds, there's a reason for his attitude. Benny best boy :shobon:

Ah, well drat, if only there was a way to grind companionship EXP. I suppose I'll just hope for that to arrive, along with a greenhouse so it's possible to actually get more than nine violetgrass a day.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's really funny how Qiqi continues to trivialize alot of the stuff the game throws at you. The whole freezing mechanic has been basically a non issue since I can walk around at full and fight without any worry with her around.

Wait, are you telling me that Qiqi doesn't take frost damage because she's a zombie? :catstare:

Mailer posted:

DPS is harder, but Support is super comfy. His ATK boost is base ATK only, so like... whatever sword has your best attack. I gave him the free sword from 1.2. His heals scale off HP, so make him chonky. His damage as support is completely negligible so after he's stacked with HP it's all energy regen. In most teams he doesn't really need that much energy regen to ult on cooldown but what else are you going to put on him. If you have a bunch of crappy HP Scholar/Exile artifacts, now is the time for them to shine.

Oh cool, now I know what to use! I want his ATK boost to be really good, but those heals are so drat good that I'm gonna have to slap some heavy healing artifacts on him to take advantage of that. I don't even have him using good stuff and he's healing 1,000 health really quickly.

Two minor things I realized today, 1) doing the Mondstadt weapon material domain and it was all hydro slimes and mages and Choungyun rules! Lvl 20, freezing field speeds up dealing with everything so much! 2) So many people are selling more things now! Chef Mao has bamboo shoots now, the pharmacy has fire and ice flower items, so much more that I'm sure I'm forgetting about too.

I can't wait for Archonex to look into the lore and find out that wildlife despawning if you don't kill it fast enough is actually something that happens in universe.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Wait, are you telling me that Qiqi doesn't take frost damage because she's a zombie? :catstare:

Nah, just that between the orb ticks and applying seals via auto attack you heal for so much that it's a complete non issue.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Ah, well drat, if only there was a way to grind companionship EXP.

I mean, I got curious and looked it up on the wiki, but yeah :)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Saxophone posted:

Sucrose worked fine, but didn't add as much as I'd have liked and I found I wasn't using her enough. It's possible I just don't "get" sucrose. She's C1 tho.

But I've also thrown Ning into that trio and it's made Beidou feel pretty redundant. I really like Beidou, and she's my only other 80 besides Childe but I'm tempted to bench her and try other things.

Do you have a VV set on Sucrose? That’s what takes her from pretty good to straight up busted support, though that’s true of any anemo with that set. Swirl water on the enemy then go into melee mode with Childe for big numbers.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

RareAcumen posted:

I can't wait for Archonex to look into the lore and find out that wildlife despawning if you don't kill it fast enough is actually something that happens in universe.

I haven't seen anything that indicates this (It's probably just to penalize you for loving up shots and keep you from farming cooking materials.) but if they actually designed lore around this then :stare:.

Sad thing is, with how they've gone full elder scrolls with the depth of the lore they could probably bullshit their way into adding an explanation for why they just ghost out of existence. So now i'm going to be on the look out for indications of this. :v:

Also, new lore stuff: People have found Celestia and through glitches nearly managed to board it. Unfortunately it's just a 2d texture giving the illusion of the island existing in the sky, so they couldn't get on board it. But they got close enough to show that there's some really weird details there that suggest that something funky is going on with Celestia due to the objects on it. For instance it's much smaller than you'd expect, and in fact only has one noticeable building on it. Said building appears to be in a state of disrepair if you go off of the in game version and the manga version. It's almost as if no one is left to maintain it.

There may also be a portal inside that building to the real Celestia according to several theories. Which is the place on the menu and in the intro. Which would be in keeping with the whole world being one gigantic illusion to gently caress over humanity.

Saxophone posted:

Childe is weird in that he doesn't really play well with others. This is in keeping with his personality, but the fact that he has to transition to an E based skill to do his best sustained DPS coupled with the fact that most characters only maintain their skills for at most 10s means that he's not a good team player for many team comps if you're looking to make a reaction based team comp and not a straight 1:1 DPS setup since his E can last for around 38 seconds at most. Or to put it more accurately, he benefits greatly from skills that are persistent or passively boost his DPS. Granted, for most fights he doesn't need to work with others, since he can just do absurd amounts of DPS with the right build.

Fischl+Tartaglia is a good example of a burst oriented duo. Putting Oz out gives him even more hilarious DPS potential since he can just infinitely change electro-shock on an enemy due to every electro reaction causing an extra electro attack from Oz once Fischl has her last talent.

Unfortunately, Fischl without her C6/whichever one lets Oz stay out longer only gives so much damage. However, it's usually enough to hack off massive amounts of HP. And if you have a third character with a skill they can use it as a transition while it recharges, assuming you cancel Tartaglia's E once Oz disappears. Since Fischl is fairly easy to refill her burst she can just put Oz out again once Tartaglia recharges his skill. At which point you can slaughter whatever is left from the first round of damage.

Weirdly enough, this could (I haven't tested it yet.) make Albedo a fantastic choice for him assuming you can offset his (Seemingly, haven't gotten him fully kitted yet.) lower damage from the transient blooms with proper def, crit, and attack/dps stats. Albedo lays down the geothunder dome with his E and Tartaglia will proceed to just go apeshit on everything inside of it, adding an extra transient bloom proc and a shield pop on top of his rapid hydro attacks and riptide procs (and maybe the vortex from Viri too if you have it). You could probably add Fischl for extra hilarity in cramming the screen full of numbers too, if you wanted to get really bursty.

Edit: Also, as a side note, Beidou really benefits in the elemental reaction department by getting her C4. With her C4 every attack that hits her gives her normal attacks 20% more electro damage. This means that so long as she can take the damage (and her shield and characters like Zhongli help with this) she can apply electric element reactions with every normal attack. Said effect also applies for the purpose of using her skill. Meaning just getting or even trying for a perfect counter gives you 20% electro damage added onto normal attacks for 10s.

I imagine if you could somehow get Xinyan geared up with a gambler/skill reset artifact set along with her constellations that she would pair extremely well with Beidou. Xinyan can apply a shield that does a fire DOT to everything around it. Beidou can AOE counter spam for decent electro damage. Xinyan can reduce physical resistance in multiple ways. Beidou gets a speed and damage boost to her attacks and with her c4 also does extra electric damage with normal attacks. The big downside would be getting to high end greatsword weapons. Which is probably a long term goal for most people.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 26, 2020

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

RareAcumen posted:

Oh cool, now I know what to use! I want his ATK boost to be really good, but those heals are so drat good that I'm gonna have to slap some heavy healing artifacts on him to take advantage of that. I don't even have him using good stuff and he's healing 1,000 health really quickly.

I've been running Bennett for a while and I firmly believe that you absolutely don't need Healing Bonus on your headpiece. His heals are so fast and so big that it would be a pretty minor change compared to buffing his HP more.

Once you get him his A4 talent, his Skill cooldown is 2 seconds during his Burst, which gives him the ability to also be a sub DPS, because he can Burst off cooldown with 175ish ER. That said, if you want him to just Burst and swap, pumping his ER over 200% is totally reasonable.

Lastly, I would highly recommend gearing him up with a 4p Noblesse Oblige set, especially if you have his C1.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I just felt like sharing this:

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Clarste posted:

I just felt like sharing this:

It's beautiful.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Saxophone posted:

Ganyu? More like GanWHO?

Yeah I must have this character.

Same, I also want Rosaria but worried I might hit pity and get Ganyu then I'm pretty hosed.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
With my map at 98%, quests done, weapons collected, and weekly tree things unlocked I guess I can call this exploration content mostly finished at this point.

Dragonspine is probably my favourite piece of exploration content in the game, easily the best discrete area that currently exists. I love everything about it. It's labyrinthine with paths and trails both around the outside and threading through the inside, and yet it never seemed that confusing to explore. Treasure is in abundance and pretty much every single time you gaze at a spot at a distance thinking "I bet there's something tasty there, yes indeed" you'll pretty much be proven correct once you go look.

There's a lot of subtle direction to the quests so that completing things often give you directions to more exploration options in the process. It seems like they took a page from the nine pillars quest in Liyue in that you end up with a capstone quest for the region, finding all the tablets to open the claymore room. By the time you've done everything else you're probably aware the tablet room exists and you're likely most of the way to opening it! It's the same sort of concept - you're probably done everything else by the time you're there, but it's more varied than just "find literally every geooculi", which I appreciated.

The combat seemed to be a bit more high-level then random wanderings around the other regions - enemies can show up in more dangerous combinations and the cold mechanic can put a bit of extra pressure on you. It wasn't overly difficult but I definitely got a lot more mileage out of my current squad and their toolkits.

On the whole it just left me chomping at the bit for more exploration, which is a good sign. Ideally I'd love to see this kind of addition every patch but I don't know if that's strictly viable; I suppose we'll find out in 1.3. If not, 3 months between content updates is a fair bit but if they keep adding things of this quality I think it'll all work out well.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
While I like Albedo's playstyle I really do not want another Geo (C5 Ning and C0 Zhong) I am trying to get my Sucrose to C1 but the banner keeps giving me Fish (C4 or 5 and Bennets C3 ) and I am about 20-30 off from pity. Guess since I am getting close I should save my gems I was trying to build a Childe, Fish, Sucrose, ??? (Thining Zhong or my C5 Ning) team.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I can already see the heat mechanics that we'll have to contend with in the desert and volcano lands. Sheer Cold ain't that bad to contend with which is nice so I look forward to those regions.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

My complaint is that I didn’t find any particularly noteworthy miniboss fights in Dragonspine. Things like the triple mages or 4x ruiners that are memorable and worth farming. Also not nearly enough ore. Like I didn’t find anything worth going back for.

Granted I wasn’t even attempting to pay attention to that while hoovering up the loot but still.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So out of curiosity, has anyone figured out the name of Albedo's master? The person that taught him alchemy, I mean. Because if i'm right about this suspicion I have then there's some sizable hints at where the game's going story wise there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/Zeniiet/status/1342937310325719040

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the box event again lol

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
oof, i pulled c1 bennet

bye jean

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Radical posted:

the box event again lol

Probably a lead in to a major update or story content occurring.

Actually, isn't the Lantern Rite festival supposed to be starting soon after the box event?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
For those, like me, who love digging into Genshin Impact's lore, the wiki has this really great timeline pieced together by all the books, dialog, and item descriptions found in the game. What's great is they footnote all these at the bottom with links to the actual content the info was taken from, so you can just scroll to the bottom and explore the content and try to piece together the timeline yourself. (though right now it's missing a lot of info from Dragonspine).

https://genshin-impact.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline

Also, in discussion of lore and story spoilers, I think it would be good to distinguish spoiler content that comes from the game itself, and spoiler content that comes outside the game (trailers, manga, Honkai Impact, etc..) For example, there was a story trailer for Genshin Impact that I quickly turned off as it was literally describing the plot for each major chapter coming up. So that's the type spoiler content I want to avoid. However I'm happy to explore spoiler speculation that comes from what we find in the game itself. Even the timeline I reference above uses stuff from the manga so I averted my eyes to that information.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I finally reached the mountain summit! That whole process was neat. This zone has dramatically better puzzles than previous zones.