Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dialogue-heavy games are a real challenge to get flowing quickly for the same reason that they're such a monumental undertaking all together. That's a lot of lines to record and manage and load and play and then to tweak the way the game times the delivery. Sometimes you basically have to I'll make you eat those words! start the next line before the next is finished, but that also doesn't work right with a text-skipping system that handles text in manageable blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

I am considering getting Doom Aeterneal in the sale since I loved the first but I know this one was a bit more..mixed? Also cutscenes seem like a bad choice.

It's on Game Pass for PC, if you just want to try it/plough through it.

You could buy a month for half the price of Doom on the Steam store, or probably get a deal for 3 months for the same.

Plus you'd get access to everything else.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

haveblue posted:

Take off the enhanced air control rune, it lets you unconsciously gently caress up a lot of overly tuned long jumps

I don't even have that rune, the platforming is just bad same as it was in 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

20 hours of v1.06 of CP and two crashes so far.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wolfsheim posted:

Also strongly considering getting Donut County to pair with Untitled Goose Game in my 'joke games I'll probably play for a few hours each' category

Donut County is extremely short, so much that you could probably do it in one session before you get tired of the joke

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Deptfordx posted:

It's on Game Pass for PC, if you just want to try it/plough through it.

You could buy a month for half the price of Doom on the Steam store, or probably get a deal for 3 months for the same.

Plus you'd get access to everything else.

My PC won't run any games made after like 1999 buddy

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GreenNight posted:

20 hours of v1.06 of CP and two crashes so far.

PS4 seemed a bit better, but it's just as bad as before when I switched to PS5.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm watching Outside Xtra's xmas challanges with Miles Morales, and does the game take place entirely in the winter? That's really cool.

Heh, Spider-Cat.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Kentucky Route Zero is the same price on PS4 and Switch and doesn't seem especially demanding on performance, so I should probably get it on switch for the option to play it portably right?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Wolfsheim posted:

Also strongly considering getting Donut County to pair with Untitled Goose Game in my 'joke games I'll probably play for a few hours each' category

It'll probably only take you a few hours to get through Donut Country. It's a chill game that's hard to lose/get stuck on. Personally it was probably a 6.5/10 for me, but played it at the end of an extremely rough day to unwind and it was exactly what I needed.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
doom eternal is perfection. the perfect fps. play it on the lowest difficulty until you get the hang of the new poo poo. treat the difficulty modes like a character action game cos thats what it is, do not start up a UV first time playthrough because thats how you beat doom 1 in your sleep now.

lowest difficulty plays more like doom 2016, take it from there if you want more challenge.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Kentucky Route Zero is the same price on PS4 and Switch and doesn't seem especially demanding on performance, so I should probably get it on switch for the option to play it portably right?

It was first released for PCs in 2013 so it will probably not tax a switch, no

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Shirkelton posted:

If you have absolutely no other conceivable way to play it, give it a shot, otherwise, go with the non-console method.

Ineffiable posted:

Planescape Torment is bundled with ice wind Dale.

NWN is by itself but includes all the expansions and additional content.

From what I've heard, Planescape (and maybe ice wind) is the most crash happy of all of them. Balders Gate 1/2 is the best of the collections and people seem to like that. Just gotta get used to the controls since it works way better for point and click (or even with a tablet!)

NWN definitely provides a lot of D&D opportunities.

Vikar Jerome posted:

the controls for the console versions let you move the characters with the sticks and im half tempted to pick them up just for that.

i've seen them on sale but its not a big sale usually, still cost 30 or so quid. best off looking for the discs on ebay or something.

Ah cheers. I wasn't sure what was included with NWN but it sounds like it has enough content to possibly justify the steep-ish price. Not having a large party it seems to make sense to me to play on a controller, but I'll look into the pc/mac versions and see if my increasingly obsolete computers can run them.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Obvs ps4 fan noise is a common complaint to to be perfectly honest I never felt it was much of an issue personally......until I started playing ghost if tsushima. The fan is constantly on full blast it seems. :/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, Tsushima is pretty much the most graphically demanding (and prettiest) PS4 game ever made.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

My launch ps4 was so loud it drowned out the sound of the game I was playing so I used my stupid blower thing that's like a can of compressed air on steroids on it and now it doesn't make a single peep and I'm pretty sure it's going to catch on fire and burn my entertainment system down.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still don’t understand why some games run the fan full blast when they’re running in the background, even if they don’t when the game is actually playing. What are they doing back there?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still don’t understand why some games run the fan full blast when they’re running in the background, even if they don’t when the game is actually playing. What are they doing back there?
That is actually a common problem even with certain PC games. I couldn't tell you the specifics, but it has something to do with how the game runs through certain loops that are normally limited by what is actually going on in the game and become unlimited by the unusual state of not actually being the active task and on-screen. It's a bit like how menus in games can make them suddenly try to start running at 1000+ FPS and melt down your graphics card.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

That is actually a common problem even with certain PC games. I couldn't tell you the specifics, but it has something to do with how the game runs through certain loops that are normally limited by what is actually going on in the game and become unlimited by the unusual state of not actually being the active task and on-screen. It's a bit like how menus in games can make them suddenly try to start running at 1000+ FPS and melt down your graphics card.
Is it really so hard to fix? I mean, multitasking like that has been the standard for PCs for decades and for game consoles for almost a decade.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is it really so hard to fix? I mean, multitasking like that has been the standard for PCs for decades and for game consoles for almost a decade.
I've got no idea, I can only tell you that's weirdly common and a lot of developers seem to either not realize it or consider it a minor enough problem that it's not worth finding a workaround.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Also a common thing seems to be some menus being uncapped sometimes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You must own every PlayStation console and have them plugged in and running at all times to call yourself a true “gamer”

That reminds me I need to get an HDMI switcher at some point.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

I've got no idea, I can only tell you that's weirdly common and a lot of developers seem to either not realize it or consider it a minor enough problem that it's not worth finding a workaround.

It seems like the sort of thing that’s straightforward to fix if you address it at the very early stage and almost impossible to do anything about if you’re more than halfway through development when you notice it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Midjack posted:

It seems like the sort of thing that’s straightforward to fix if you address it at the very early stage and almost impossible to do anything about if you’re more than halfway through development when you notice it.
I would imagine so, although I wouldn't really know first-hand. I've never developed any games even if I do have a lot of programming experience.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anyone have an issue with the ps4 gold headset where the mic works but no audio? I think I had this once before, and I went through the whole process of resetting it through the app, and then doing the thing with the dongle where you put the pin in the side, then hold mute+VSS and turn the headset on while doing so. However this time the headset still displays a red light instead of blue - do I have to fully charge it first?

Also I tried just plugging the headset into my computer, and I couldn't hear any audio - does this mean the issue is prob with the headset audio drivers themselves, or perhaps the cable connecting it?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 27, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know it’s not much help but that same thing randomly happened with my platinums and as far as I can tell :rip:

Like, they would turn on, connect, everything looked like it was in working order, mic worked, but no audio would come out of them unless I hard wired the headphones with a cord. I tried every fix under the sun and absolutely nothing got them working again.

So, good luck and if you figure it out please let me know what you did, because mine are still sitting in a drawer. :v:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I know it’s not much help but that same thing randomly happened with my platinums and as far as I can tell :rip:

Like, they would turn on, connect, everything looked like it was in working order, mic worked, but no audio would come out of them unless I hard wired the headphones with a cord. I tried every fix under the sun and absolutely nothing got them working again.

So, good luck and if you figure it out please let me know what you did, because mine are still sitting in a drawer. :v:

in all fairness I may have threw them after getting mad at something just prior to this :p

but as I said, I had the same issue once before, and got them working again.

I've always used them connected to my controller - never wirelessly just because i never felt the need to. I would assume that once I plugged them in to my computer or phone, I'd be able to hear audio, but I don't...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh that’s a different issue than I had then. I misunderstood. Mine only won’t work wirelessly.

Yeah wired they should work even if the battery is dead.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is it weird that the mic works but not the speakers?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

actionjackson posted:

Is it weird that the mic works but not the speakers?

Not particularly on a technical level, no. Probably means you damaged the wiring to the drivers.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Wolfsheim posted:

Also strongly considering getting Donut County

It's absolute dogshit. One of the strangest experiences I've had playing a game, there is no game in it. It's a series of scenes where you have to do exactly what the game wants in a very specific order, but it's also made extremely obvious. The dialogue and story have no charm or interest to it.
It's genuinely like it was made for 5 year olds, but reviews and the trailer do not highlight that and made it look/sound like a take on katamari.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 27, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

It's absolute dogshit. One of the strangest experiences I've had playing a game, there is no game in it. It's a series of scenes where you have to do exactly what the game wants in a very specific order. The dialogue and story have no charm or interest to it.
It's genuinely like it was made for 5 year olds, but reviews and the trailer do not highlight this.

- me playing Bloodborne

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I got Donut County because I love raccoons and want more raccoon-based games (I really want Tanuki Sunset) but it was so short and mindless. It's like a quirky Western indie take on Katamari with no actual thought involved.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

beanpole holy day sale haul :blastu:

octodad
blasphemous
indivisible
my friend pedro
superhot
superhot mind control delete

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If blasphemous grabs you, please give me a pep talk about how I should play it, cause I bought it when it came out and absolutely could not get into it even though everyone says it’s great.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Arist posted:

Just played Bugsnax for three hours. It's good, folx

Enjoy, I wish I could wipe my brain and play it all over again! Chandlo (and Bunger!) for Best New Characters 2020.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 27, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

If blasphemous grabs you, please give me a pep talk about how I should play it, cause I bought it when it came out and absolutely could not get into it even though everyone says it’s great.

apparently the free DLC patch fixed or added many things which is why I felt compelled to try it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The slow realisation that I’m likely to spend all the PSN credit I got for Christmas on anime games (13 Sentinels and rebuying N:A so I can replay it ahead of the remake)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Someone got me psn credit in the wrong store but I can just share games between the accounts right? Now I’m just trying to balance what I can get for $50 exactly that includes ps5 games for when mine finally arrives. For now Assassins Creed Vikings for $42 for a ps5 game seems pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Someone got me psn credit in the wrong store but I can just share games between the accounts right? Now I’m just trying to balance what I can get for $50 exactly that includes ps5 games for when mine finally arrives. For now Assassins Creed Vikings for $42 for a ps5 game seems pretty good

Anything installed on your console can be accessed by other accounts on it. I've got a couple of apps and games grabbed off the US PSN store on mine, and they work fine through my regular account.