Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Sounds like you need to use my promo code on Nord VPN to get fifty percent off of twelve years. Raid: Shadow legends.

I chortled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Isreal is bombing the gaza strip to promote WW84. Just the way Gal would want it.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1342699473919746050?s=19

I cant wait to watch it. :)

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 26, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Isreal is bombing the gaza strip to promote WW84. Just the way Gal would want it.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1342699473919746050?s=19

I cant wait to watch it. :)

I love this argument because Israelis have conscription so every single Israeli ever is a war criminal.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Madkal posted:

I love this argument because Israelis have conscription so every single Israeli ever is a war criminal.

Gadot was vocally supportive of the IDF and their campaigns in Gaza as recently as 2016. I wouldn't call every IDF conscript a war criminal, but if you don't disavow the things you were a part of as an IDF conscript once your mandatory service is over that's pretty suspect.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Madkal posted:

Well in fairness, she has tweeted some stuff, some years ago, in support of the IDF. I didn't at the time think it was dramatically different from some American going "support our troops," but evidently it was a contentious sentiment.

To me at least, I always think of this clip when this topic gets brought up.

And honestly, I'm obviously all for reading things into things, but I'm genuinely at a loss here as to what heinous thing I'm supposed to read into WW saving some kids playing in the middle of a road.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also she’s saving them from being run over, the missile is fired by Steve and it’s for Diana to swing from.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Also she’s saving them from being run over, the missile is fired by Steve and it’s for Diana to swing from.

And she fails.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Whoa, tweets lie?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
How accurate are these stills? Because holy moley that is a Hebdo caricature come to life.
https://twitter.com/thejoshl/status/1342680937847533568?s=19

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

How accurate are these stills? Because holy moley that is a Hebdo caricature come to life.

It's accurate but he's also from Bayalia and isn't even a head of state at that point, just a rich oil man from a fictional collapsed country.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Whoa, tweets lie?
Well I don't know that it's lying. The thing it mentions does happen (though she's trying to save them from cars, not missiles). I just don't understand what the badness of it is. The very imagery, I suppose?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mr Hootington posted:

Literally word for word.

It's also the country of Biyalia which, in DC, is like IranIraqPalestineAfghanistan rolled up into one weird mess of caricature.

The act also cuts his subjects off from freshwater and other supplies so it's an incredibly shortsighted thing and indicative of how destructive the wishes can be.

BrianWilly posted:

. The very imagery, I suppose?
I suppose it's in the vein of "US cop pulls over black man to... not shoot him?!"

It's maybe safe to say you have no investment in the film if Gadot's politics are pulling you out of it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The movies politics are the most milquetoast middle of the road poo poo and it's only coherent message is "greed and cheating and lying are bad," and most of this is about Gadot being a war crime apologist in real life. I understand the sentiment but it's a pretty weak target for any real criticism of this type because it almost aggressively has nothing to say.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Genuine question: Does the movie do anything in context to make it less hosed up that the Middle Eastern dude who wants his land back is evil and racist, and his goal "shortsighted and destructive"?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arist posted:

Genuine question: Does the movie do anything in context to make it less hosed up that the Middle Eastern dude who wants his land back is evil and racist, and his goal "shortsighted and destructive"?

He's one of several world leaders including the Russians and the Americans who's a loving short sighted moron not thinking about the consequences of their actions. The president literally wishes for so many nukes that he starts world war 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Within the context of the movie he is a rich oil baron and ally of the Saudis whose land is a part of Egypt and has been for so long that the only way they find any claim to his land is via magically appearing ruins. He also isn't evil and is shown to regret the consequences of his wish almost immediately. As far as the last part literally everyone in the film's wishes are shortsighted and destructive because that is what the film seemed to be going for with whatever its muddled messaging is.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arist posted:

Genuine question
A British woman basically Brexits all the Irish people in her town via police force and an Irish dude wishes for her to drop dead so all the nationalistic wishes turn out to be very stupid yes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This moral sounds stupid.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Sort of? In the sense that everyone is being very xenophobic and shortsighted, so this one example is par for the course as far as the wishes go. The American president literally wishes that he had more nuclear bombs, and the Russians wish the same in return. No one is painted very flatteringly here.

But it's also like...these are their innermost secret, guilty desires and Max never explained to anyone that these things are literally going to come true, and come true in the most consequential, backfiring ways. Presumably people wouldn't actually be wishing for these things if they knew *gasp* THE TRUTH

As Vince mentions, you kinda have to...squint really hard...to find any deep-seated morals here.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 26, 2020

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The message of the movie is literally the exact same message as the classic film Wishmaster.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

The message it seems to be going for is "Power that comes at the cost to others isn't worth it and makes you a shittier person, especially if you are a rich gently caress" but it doesn't really go anywhere with the idea.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hey wait a second. If everyone had to renounce their wish, that means coffee guy had to as well. How did that work? He drank that poo poo days ago. Also what did he have to give up in exchange for that cup of coffee?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Hey wait a second. If everyone had to renounce their wish, that means coffee guy had to as well. How did that work? He drank that poo poo days ago. Also what did he have to give up in exchange for that cup of coffee?

Coffee Guy was a coincidence, he didn't get the blowy wind thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Coffee Guy was a coincidence, he didn't get the blowy wind thing.

I don't wanna watch the movie again so I'll just take your word on it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arist posted:

They kind of muddy the message because for a large part of the movie people don't realize that Max is literally granting wishes and also he doesn't tell them that he gets to name the price.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lord's wishes kind of do the Twisted Wish cliche except that rather than it being Max who is rules lawyering the wish, the people directly wish for the really lovely non-solution to whatever their problem is.

In other wish movies, someone might ask to be rich and powerful so they get turned into a drug lord. In Wonder Woman the person would just outright wish to be a drug lord, for some reason.

It is not depicted as if that's part of the power though so it just comes off as everyone being a loving idiot. They really needed to make Max more of a silver tongued guy who talks people into these deep, base level wishes.

Also it's not any better but 'heathen' is a religion thing, not a race thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just finished. Wasn't the total dumpster fire I'd heard but it's pretty bleh. Don't think I'd ever care to see it again. Way too long, Chris pine and Pedro Pascal are the best parts of the movie even though they aren't the star, once again the Big Action Scene was not nearly as good as the hype, full transformation Barbara looked like something from the cats movie, the cgi for the lasso is straight up awful, you are led to believe Steve apparently killed the guy who's body he took and it's never dwelled on, Barbara turns evil because she got back at her attempted rapist like that was a bad thing???, Steve apparently is preternaturally good at learning how to operate things he's never seen before because the plot demands it in that moment. Lots of odd stuff

Also the fact that a wishmaster almost destroyed the planet affecting everyone on Earth makes the disbelief in the initial dceu movies weird. Especially man of steel

site fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 26, 2020

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I gotta say, these reviews are really not selling me on HBO Max.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It's really hard to determine what exactly people are going to remember of the aftermath. Hell, the lack of followup on general stuff gets more glaring the more you think about it. Do Diana and Barbara just...go back to work tomorrow, like nothing happened? Are staff meetings just really awkward now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

It's really hard to determine what exactly people are going to remember of the aftermath. Hell, the lack of followup on general stuff gets more glaring the more you think about it. Do Diana and Barbara just...go back to work tomorrow, like nothing happened? Are staff meetings just really awkward now?

I mean, Diana recognizes that Barbara was under the influence of the wish so I suppose they could but I'm sure it'll be shown Barbara didn't renounce her wish.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah other than beating the poo poo out of that guy I don't think Barbara even broke any actual laws, now that I think about it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Everything up to and including the Cheetah battle end via electrocution made a fun enough comic book movie, and any negative criticism of anything before that I hand wave away because I was enjoying watching the Diana and Steve adventures. 

But good looooooord, the last 10 minutes between that and the winter epilogue is some of the most I have hated a movie ending in a good long while.  I don't even give a poo poo about all the hand waving unwishing mechanics, I almost don't really care about why he gives up because sure that's the point of his son and his arc.  I care about the absolute piss poor execution of Diana just talking to the camera for 5 minutes like she's talking directly to the audience, a constant swelling of emotional heartstrings tugging music, and then what felt like 5 minutes of DAD ALASTAIR DAD ALASTAIR DAD before the entire thing is over.  I was sitting with my wife on the couch and I legitimately yelled "JUST GET ON WITH IT ALREADY".  Ultimately it's a big who cares, but it really disappointed me because I was enjoying my B-grade roller coaster of a comic book film and then it dropped off a cliff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Catching up on posts and wrt the queer reading I did not glean any sort of romantic cues between Diana and Barbara at all but I think the person who's getting extra mad about BWs reading is coming off very poorly

site fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 27, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This movie does feature my favorite kind of dumb comic book logic.

Supernatural (often ancient and pre-English) and/or biological powers working off arbitrary English words.

Max hears that the satellites 'touch' things and it works how he needs it to, even though the president says it's a figure of speech.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I swear I’ve heard the big swelling dramatic music that plays after Diana renounces her wish and flies for the first time before. Like, many times before. As in they just stuck some stock trailer music in as a temp score and never went back and swapped it out before release.

I’m all for streaming services putting these exclusive releases out while covid is still a thing and theaters are inherently dangerous places to be, but uh maybe double check your final cut before rushing it out just to get those Christmas vacation subscriptions.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

Supernatural (often ancient and pre-English) and/or biological powers working off arbitrary English words.

Max hears that the satellites 'touch' things and it works how he needs it to, even though the president says it's a figure of speech.

That was pretty funny

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

For the second he had someone wish it would work.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

It was too hot. No he literally said it screen that it was too hot.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

site posted:

Just finished. Wasn't the total dumpster fire I'd heard but it's pretty bleh. Don't think I'd ever care to see it again. Way too long, Chris pine and Pedro Pascal are the best parts of the movie even though they aren't the star, once again the Big Action Scene was not nearly as good as the hype, full transformation Barbara looked like something from the cats movie, the cgi for the lasso is straight up awful, you are led to believe Steve apparently killed the guy who's body he took and it's never dwelled on, Barbara turns evil because she got back at her attempted rapist like that was a bad thing???, Steve apparently is preternaturally good at learning how to operate things he's never seen before because the plot demands it in that moment. Lots of odd stuff

Also the fact that a wishmaster almost destroyed the planet affecting everyone on Earth makes the disbelief in the initial dceu movies weird. Especially man of steel

He didn’t kill him. It’s who she is talking to at then end of the movie. Which makes her entire sex/rape of him a lot more horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yes I know but I can see how my post was unclear, for the majority of the movie that is what was implied but neither Diana or Steve seem to care much