Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Two questions, has anyone tried the Sarah Weintraub Companion mod? I like the idea of making Sarah a companion, but the mod does a bunch of stuff with making Vault 21 player controlled and all sorts of things, not sure if I want that much change.

Also, has anyone seen this mod? I figure since New Vegas Bounties III ruffles a lot of feathers maybe this might be what people are looking for (It's a mod that alters Marko's character to be less-Ulysses, and gives you better dialog choices to deal with Marko's diatribes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

I have a weird one, I can't buy a piece of DLC from steam. When I try to buy it, it says, I don't have Fallout NV on my Steam.

I bought my game years ago when I lived in France. Now, I live in Poland, everywhere east of Germany is considered Russia according to the Bethesda, and Russia has a different version of the game.

Any ideas of how I get 'round this problem?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Septimius posted:

I have a weird one, I can't buy a piece of DLC from steam. When I try to buy it, it says, I don't have Fallout NV on my Steam.

I bought my game years ago when I lived in France. Now, I live in Poland, everywhere east of Germany is considered Russia according to the Bethesda, and Russia has a different version of the game.

Might just be easier to get the GOTY Edition with everything?

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Might just be easier to get the GOTY Edition with everything?

Yeah I thought about that, but it's only the Gunrunners Arsenal. I thought for my 4th playthrough, I'd get those achievements that I hadn't gotten before. It's not a big deal I guess, but it would be nice to find a way to do it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Could you use a VPN to pretend you're in the country you were in when you originally bought the game?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If the VPN doesn't work could someone in France gift you that version of the DLC? I dunno how gifting from other regions works at all.

Septimius
Aug 23, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Could you use a VPN to pretend you're in the country you were in when you originally bought the game?

MR E posted:

If the VPN doesn't work could someone in France gift you that version of the DLC? I dunno how gifting from other regions works at all.

Thanks, I'll try something along those lines.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Septimius posted:

I'd try contacting Steam support about this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Septimius posted:

Yeah I thought about that, but it's only the Gunrunners Arsenal. I thought for my 4th playthrough, I'd get those achievements that I hadn't gotten before. It's not a big deal I guess, but it would be nice to find a way to do it.

Isn't GRA required for jsawyer? You madman!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Found the answer earlier regarding the wabbajack so I've got a new Q.

Way back when Project Nevada was new one of the changes I really enjoyed was the tweak to DT and damage reduction to increase the maximum damage reduction, allowing for high-DT armor to feel mostly invulnerable to low-damage weapons (1 damage plinks only). Is there something that does that now that's not a mess?

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 24, 2020

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
So I'm installing the mods from the (older) Living in New Vegas guide and... Is there something I'm missing or am I going to be spending several hours setting this up? It took quite a while just to get through the "core" mods.

I'm hoping that the rest of it will be pretty quick after getting the preliminary stuff done. I'm hoping it's worth the effort.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a reason he revised the guide. The first version had way too much craft, especially if your going for a vanilla experience.

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
I went through the LINV guide a week ago without problem, the core part is the most burdensome to do but it's pretty important. Most of the rest is just 'okay install it.' I'd stick with it, I don't believe the new version of the guide does quite enough.

Nor did I think LINV did enough, going by the 10 content mods I've piled upon it since aha. :downsgun:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Orb Crabmelt posted:

So I'm installing the mods from the (older) Living in New Vegas guide and... Is there something I'm missing or am I going to be spending several hours setting this up? It took quite a while just to get through the "core" mods.

I'm hoping that the rest of it will be pretty quick after getting the preliminary stuff done. I'm hoping it's worth the effort.

To be honest, I think it's worth it. I'm playing with a tweaked version of the LINV guide (no BLEED, some of my own edits to the mods installed, a few other assorted things added, mostly visual), and it runs like a dream. Also the CORE part will pretty much guarantee a stable and already pretty customizable experience.

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
The latest (and likely last) version of LINV doesn't have BLEED anyway, soIaddedit.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Orb Crabmelt posted:

You're not missing anything. If you do it correctly, you will end up with buttery smooth perfect New Vegas. That said I'm not smart enough to tell you exactly what makes it run so buttery smooth.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's new user friendly, I feel along with not overwhelming somebody coming in it teaches them enough to forth and add all the big titty molerat cannibal madness mods they desire.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Alright, I'll stick with it. It'll be my Christmas present to my future self (who will forget to play the actual game until after a hard drive replacement and the necessity of doing it was over again)

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's new user friendly, I feel along with not overwhelming somebody coming in it teaches them enough to forth and add all the big titty molerat cannibal madness mods they desire.

That also sounds good

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1nn-tp26KE

January 15th is the release. Looking forward to it!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I did VNV with a few additions from LINV. I also added in Bleed and Threshold.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1nn-tp26KE

January 15th is the release. Looking forward to it!

If I'm honest, my excitement level dropped sharply upon hearing this wasn't a standalone thing and you have to have an existing F:NV character at level 20 (on a fresh save no less) to access the content.

Egg on my face for having already done a playthrough in October, I suppose.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Soks posted:

The latest (and likely last) version of LINV doesn't have BLEED anyway, soIaddedit.

Oh, I see they removed it and added some Fallout 4-inspire damage mod. It looks neat, might give it a try one day.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Depleted Uranium .50 MG Ammunition
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70676

quote:

Mod Details

.50 cal DU rounds were featured in Fallout Tactics. They were an exceedingly rare, expensive ammunition that gave a huge bonus to armor penetration and dealt hidden radiation damage. This mod seeks to recreate these stats.

The rounds reduce enemy Damage Threshold by 65 points, effectively bypassing the armor of any enemy in the game.
The rounds are 20% less accurate than standard .50 MG rounds due to the nature of saboted rounds.
The rounds have a hidden script which gives a chance to do a flat 100 points of extra damage IF the target is wearing armor, based on the player's luck. The chance is 10% per point of luck, so a player with luck 10 will activate the effect on every round. This is consistent with DU's unique property of breaking apart and igniting when penetrating armor, since adding radiation damage like in Tactics does nothing (Fallout NV NPCs are immune to radiation.)
The rounds will leave behind trace amounts of radiation where they impact, and produce an impact flash.

The rounds are sold by Daniel Contreras in Camp McCarran. They are extremely expensive, at over 100 caps per round to purchase. However, there are 300 rounds on a shelf near Contreras that can be stolen. Additionally, there is a clue hidden somewhere in Contreras' quarters that points to the location of an additional 100 rounds that are free for the taking.

I recently added a NPC around Sloan that skill checks Guns for 75+ to give you a Anti-Material Rifle and 24 x .50bmg FMJ rounds to help with the Deathclaws in the Quarry. Also with a vendor function to buy some .50bmg AP rounds, maybe I'll give him a handful of DU rounds.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

If I'm honest, my excitement level dropped sharply upon hearing this wasn't a standalone thing and you have to have an existing F:NV character at level 20 (on a fresh save no less) to access the content.

Oh poo poo for real I better get back on my playthrough

that car system looks way better than anything i ever would've thought could've been implemented.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Cross-Section posted:

There's a quick-start module packaged in with the Steam install (And probably the Nexus install) that will give you a level 20 character from the get-go.

Proletarian Mango posted:

Oh poo poo for real I better get back on my playthrough

For the record I asked about this myself on the Discord and they suggested starting with a fresh save to make sure no major issues popped up.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Actually I just checked on the discord and the level requirement is only 11, though the recommended level is 20. Regardless, the Quick-Start generator can give you a character at level 11, 15, or 20.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Anyone have any recommendations for making Pip-Boy menu navigation feel better? I checked quickly on Nexus and found nothing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for making Pip-Boy menu navigation feel better? I checked quickly on Nexus and found nothing.

Aside from stuff that renames things so they're sorted better you're pretty much doomed to crappy navigation.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There's a quick-start module packaged in with the Steam install (And probably the Nexus install) that will give you a level 20 character from the get-go.

Oh! Alrighty, then. :)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Dreamweaver's Realm
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66762

This was really fun.

Though I am confused what THE EGG OF POWER does. I mean i could just look it up on fnvedit but...

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Does jsawyer ultimate make the sawed off shotgun use only one ammo per shot for some reason? I could swear it does, but I don't see it in the changelogs. :psyduck:

e: reinstalling the mod fixed the issue, must have made a mistake somewhere

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 26, 2020

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Eraflure posted:

Does jsawyer ultimate make the sawed off shotgun use only one ammo per shot for some reason? I could swear it does, but I don't see it in the changelogs. :psyduck:

e: reinstalling the mod fixed the issue, must have made a mistake somewhere
To confirm, I did not made a change like that. The sawed-off was always supposed to be one trigger squeeze = 2 shots. The caravan shotgun was always supposed to be one trigger squeeze = 1 shot.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

rope kid posted:

To confirm, I did not made a change like that. The sawed-off was always supposed to be one trigger squeeze = 2 shots. The caravan shotgun was always supposed to be one trigger squeeze = 1 shot.

Do issues with JSUE really come your way? I saw your stream where you said you are okay with that kind of mod as long as they make it clear it has nothing to do with you.

Pretty funny if that's the case.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

No, I don't think anyone has contacted me for issues with JSUE.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I want to try Viva New Vegas but the instructions look complicated as hell and I am lazy and stupid :( Do I really have to uninstall FONV and start over to use it? I was using Project Nevada but according to VNV's page, PN is overwrought or something.

Also, do I have to deal with increased difficulty in VNV?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I want to try Viva New Vegas but the instructions look complicated as hell and I am lazy and stupid :( Do I really have to uninstall FONV and start over to use it? I was using Project Nevada but according to VNV's page, PN is overwrought or something.

Also, do I have to deal with increased difficulty in VNV?

Instructions may seem complicated but you will get the hang of it, don't worry if you mess up either there is a discord linked with a lot of helpful people for troubleshooting and whatnot.

I was reluctant to let go of PN also but I am not missing it at all now with several of the standalone mods that replace almost all of what you get in that package and do it much cleaner and better.

Difficulty is not changed unless you want it to. This guide is modular and strives to stick to a vanilla+ experience so skip stuff like the Fallout 4 Survival Damage and what not.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I guess you don't, but uninstalling it and reinstalling gives a solid base to work off while seeking aid if setting it up somehow goes wrong. It wasn't any pain for me to do so, but maybe my internet connection speed is better than yours. Adding the individual mods was easy for me, too, and I don't have a high regard for my skill in such areas so I think you'd be able to handle it.

The only thing that "increases difficulty" is the JSawyer mod, and that can be turned off in Mod Manager as far as I know. Or you could keep it on but run the game difficulty at "very easy" or "easy" which should aid in taking the edge off the difficulty changes the mod makes (reduced max hp, etc) but still keep the other gameplay changes.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

New Vegas Reloaded's shadows add so much to the game but they're so buggy yet :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

And so the Courier's shadow who cheated death in one game engine cheated death once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Proletarian Mango posted:

New Vegas Reloaded's shadows add so much to the game but they're so buggy yet :(

I mean, they're getting there. The latest update made the flickering incredibly rare for me and the interior shadows far more stable. Performance is bad in a few interiors that otherwise don't seem to have much going on but I honestly have no idea if it's New Vegas Reloaded or some other mod loving up some particle effect or something. Probably a combination.