Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I just wish youtube would stop giving me advertisements for medications for diseases I've never heard of. I mean, I'd outlaw prescription advertising if I could, but just how many people have these conditions that blind-buying ad time for it has any roi?

E: a word, also vvvv don't work for the youtube app. Very little of my youtubing isnt done on a phone.

Fantastic Foreskin has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Dec 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

General reminder that adblockers exist

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Some Goon posted:

I just wish youtube would stop giving me advertisements for medications for diseases I've never heard of. I mean, I'd outlaw prescription advertising if I could, but just how many people have these conditions that blind-buying ad time for it has any roi?

It just goes to show how hellaciously expensive the drugs are.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
sometimes I get to experience people learning for the first time that healthcare in the US is so ingrained with capitalism that ads on television are covered with different medicines they want people to request from their doctor and it's always Fun

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

General reminder that adblockers exist

Not everyone watches youtube hunched over on their computer.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I got adblock on my phone

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Aren't people more likely to be hunched over on a non-computer?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some Goon posted:

ad blockers don't work for the youtube app. Very little of my youtubing isnt done on a phone.
Install Firefox and ublock origin and stop using the app. It's very slightly less convenient but absolutely worth it for all the ads you're no longer subjected to.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Or Vanced, if you're on Android

E: also gives you sound-with-the-screen-off functionality, which I don't remember Firefox doing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Install Firefox and ublock origin and stop using the app. It's very slightly less convenient but absolutely worth it for all the ads you're no longer subjected to.

This takes roughly as long as watching one pair of ads on a video, youtube is basically insane at this point.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Or just use a DNS on your phone? This one is for adblock but if you have a different server you prefer it's the same steps. I'm 90% sure that works for youtube ads too, but I've had a premiere account for youtube for a while now so if it got patched out don't blame me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Phy posted:

E: also gives you sound-with-the-screen-off functionality, which I don't remember Firefox doing

There's another plugin for that. As well as one to bypass the "are you still watching" check.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

how are you even finding that much stuff to watch on youtube there are like 3 good videos per week

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CommonShore posted:

how are you even finding that much stuff to watch on youtube there are like 3 good videos per week

Lookit this scrub who's never sequentially fallen into the camping, baking, sausage-making, urban exploration, and cheese-making youtube holes

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Detective No. 27 posted:

if you're outside the house you surely have something better to do than give yourself a neckache watching lovely videos on a tiny screen
if you don't have anything better to do then you should go home and use your big screen to watch the lovely videos instead

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Or just use a DNS on your phone? This one is for adblock but if you have a different server you prefer it's the same steps. I'm 90% sure that works for youtube ads too, but I've had a premiere account for youtube for a while now so if it got patched out don't blame me.

Youtube serves the ads from the same host as the vids so DNS filtering doesn't work on them.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if you're outside the house you surely have something better to do than give yourself a neckache watching lovely videos on a tiny screen
if you don't have anything better to do then you should go home and use your big screen to watch the lovely videos instead

There's many situations where neither of those things are possible, and I could list some of them, but I think you're aware of them as well, and are just being grumpy about smart phones for no obvious reason.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I use my phone a lot
I just think watching videos on it is a truly miserable experience

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I have Youtube Vanced on my phone and my tablet and my TV, so no matter where I'm watching videos I don't have to deal with any ads.

It also lets you play videos in the background, in windowed mode, and with your screen off, which is useful when you want to use a Youtube video as background noise.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Zero One posted:

It's like TV ads for GE jet engines: The people who are responsible for finding a bridge company watch YouTube too.

Speaking of GE and dumb marketing.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tiggum posted:

Can't do that on my TV can I? :colbert:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I'm off for Christmas so quite frankly gently caress getting out of bed before 10am

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Breetai posted:

Generally quite astute or entertaining youtubers who produce watchable content, but who eventually goof it up with an ever increasing amount of nerd-culture focussed schtick and framing devices/storylines that surround the actual content, which eventually rivals what they're ostensibly talking about in both complexity and volume of lore and which renders their content cringeworthy and unwatchable.

this is patrick willems for me. i cannot watch his channel anymore.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Vanced for Android has been an absolute lifesaver for me personally (haven't needed to use an actual computer at home in ages, some of us on the forums are practically mobile only, shocker I know) but I'm not sure how one would use it on a TV short of casting their phone screen while using the app. Casting anything to my tv as is just routes through to the regular youtube app and it's ads ahoy there

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I wonder if it would work on an Android TV

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It was piss easy to sideload newpipe (another youtube app that suppresses ads) on a fire stick, I imagine it can't be that different for vance and some other android thing.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Vanced for Android has been an absolute lifesaver for me personally (haven't needed to use an actual computer at home in ages, some of us on the forums are practically mobile only, shocker I know) but I'm not sure how one would use it on a TV short of casting their phone screen while using the app. Casting anything to my tv as is just routes through to the regular youtube app and it's ads ahoy there

I have an android media player for my non-smart TV, and I just installed Vanced the same way I did on my phone. If you can install apps through the play store in your TV, you can probably try installing Vanced.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/JoshGerben/status/1343554884046647301?s=20

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Eh this country's so dumb that anything to get another moron to wear a mask sounds good to me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Eh this country's so dumb that anything to get another moron to wear a mask sounds good to me.

:lol: if anything it'll just rile up all the chuds and make them complain about how political sports are, especially college sports.

The only people would would wear the mask are already wearing masks.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I feel like the point is that "mask madness" is a real bad phrase to use even if you mean it positively

(yes, I'm aware of 'march madness')

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

flatluigi posted:

I feel like the point is that "mask madness" is a real bad phrase to use even if you mean it positively

(yes, I'm aware of 'march madness')

mask madness sounds like it should be a medical condition. Like you've worn a mask for so long you start to think of it as your real face or you get wild hallucinations or some poo poo

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: if anything it'll just rile up all the chuds and make them complain about how political sports are, especially college sports.

The only people would would wear the mask are already wearing masks.

*Black player takes a knee to put on a mask*

:bahgawd:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dicty Bojangles posted:

...it's very clearly going to be part of a push to get people attending games again, negating the benefits of increased mask usage

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Thomamelas posted:

Speaking of GE and dumb marketing.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

Oh so this is what the Amazon episode of South Park was parodying.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Speaking of sports, covid, and dumb marketing: the sister store to the restaurant I work at has just put "BOWL GAMES ON PROJECTORS" up on their marquee sign.

Yes, please, let's encourage more people to congregate in an enclosed space where you don't have to wear a mask because you're eating/drinking. Surely no one will contract the virus, causing the business to shut down, money lost, and over a dozen employees out of work! Great plan!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't understand the mentality of wanting to eat out, I'd just be sweating and wanting to get out ASAP enough that it'd be a terrible experience. I know restaurants gotta make money to stay alive, but I've been doing way more pickup orders than I used to, to get my food.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I don't understand the mentality of wanting to eat out, I'd just be sweating and wanting to get out ASAP enough that it'd be a terrible experience. I know restaurants gotta make money to stay alive, but I've been doing way more pickup orders than I used to, to get my food.

I've always had an underdeveloped sense of personal safety, but the idea of sitting with a bunch of unmasked people to shove porous surfaces against a mucous membrane makes me itchy. Given the stupid poo poo I do on a regularly basis without a second thought, I can't even imagine what's wrong with those people.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
We had nine adults and three children gather at Christmas and that felt weird to me, even though it's a hundred percent within current regulations (:australia:). Going to take a while to feel normal again.

Memento has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My grandmother, who has been completely isolating for months, drove her car over to our house and back with no stops along the way to visit my wife and me, who have been completely isolating for months, and it still feels like we probably shouldn't have done that. I do not understand people at all.