Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I do like how the foley work for the super armor at the end sounded like a garbage can being hit when Diana was shielding herself with the wings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Just started the movie and all I can think is why the hell did they set this movie in 1984 if they can't even be bothered to give Wonder Woman a huge over the top 80's hairstyle? What a waste.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's crazy to me that the entire conceit of Steve replacing some other guy wasn't thrown out after the first draft.

twistedmentat posted:

I do like how the foley work for the super armor at the end sounded like a garbage can being hit when Diana was shielding herself with the wings

I mean, it is a garbage can.

Has anyone watched the documentary about Shazam and Superman on Prime Video? I got a free trial for it and am kind of curious.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 27, 2020

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
What the hell is Max Lord's plan? Like none of this poo poo makes any sense.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Shirkelton posted:

It's crazy to me that the entire conceit of Steve replacing some other guy wasn't thrown out after the first draft.

My friend's and I were convinced that Steve was puppeting some guy's fresh corpse, but apparently the real owner of that body was alive and well, which is like, way more disturbing

JT Smiley posted:

He became a living wishing stone that meant he could grant people's wishes and take something of their's in return. His plan was to take things that would make his business sucessful from people as he granted their wishes, but as the consequences of everything he was doing built up he began to panic and kept digging himself in deeper, like he was running some sort of ponzi scheme or something.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wow thanks for the spoilers

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Saves you from having to waste 2 1/2 hours of your life

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

All of that is also basically just the premise.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Saves you from having to waste 2 1/2 hours of your life

Fair enough

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Patrick Spens posted:

My friend's and I were convinced that Steve was puppeting some guy's fresh corpse, but apparently the real owner of that body was alive and well, which is like, way more disturbing

He became a living wishing stone that meant he could grant people's wishes and take something of their's in return. His plan was to take things that would make his business sucessful from people as he granted their wishes, but as the consequences of everything he was doing built up he began to panic and kept digging himself in deeper, like he was running some sort of ponzi scheme or something.

I posted that in the middle of the movie, and it took way too long for me to figure it out. Partly cause the movie takes a long time to tell the audience what the rules are.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JT Smiley posted:

He just wants to be a big important 80s man.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Ignore me

JT Smiley fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 27, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think there's supposed to be a hint of because he became the wishing stone he also became increasingly compelled to grant wishes although it's never explicitly said

I may just be trying to find logic where there was none however

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

site posted:

I think there's supposed to be a hint of because he became the wishing stone he also became increasingly compelled to grant wishes although it's never explicitly said

I think the thing that bugs me the most is that's such a dumb wish that it should have transformed him into a horrible rock monster and this movie was too cowardly to give it to us.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'm going to go see this at a drive-through tomorrow just for an excuse to get out in a safe way, but I guess I'll bring the ol' Switch along because oof this sounds like a trial.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think part of it is also him wanting to be a big successful man because he thinks it値l earn his son痴 love, but like everything else about his motivation it痴 very underbaked.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm going to go see this at a drive-through tomorrow just for an excuse to get out in a safe way, but I guess I'll bring the ol' Switch along because oof this sounds like a trial.

I was over one hour in and bored to death. And there was still another hour and a half to go. And it never got better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If they were gonna do a Wishmaster plot there is no excuse not to cast Andew Divoff.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I've seen so many bad superhero movies so I'm shocked this one found strange new ways to be terrible. Like the entire Steve plot is so gross and weird and at no point are the heroes even at all bothered by it.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I loved that Steve and Diana are both immediately aware that he's taken over some guys and it's a result of magic. No fuddling about going "Woah how is this possible".

Also Alistair wishes that his Dad would become great, I wonder how much that played into Lord's actions in the end. (I'm mostly joking about that, I don't think it had much to do with anything). He clearly felt like the world owed him something, and he found a way to take it, and he finally had a chance to feel needed and important. Even though he missed the obvious: his son is right there. A movie about the dangers of 80s excess: the desire for MORE, at the expense of what's truely important.

Anyway, I loved ww84. I thought it was great, although wonder woman herself was the weakest part I think. Her role was pretty minimal, either because they were painted into a corner from Batman v Superman, or because gal Gadot isn't a good actress and they used her for as little as reasonably possible.

Also Kristen Wiig was good and she had some great delivery on a couple lines (especially involving the drunk harrasser).

stratdax fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 27, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't even know why they did that if they weren't going to explore how hosed up it was. Just having Steve appear would have made just as much sense and not had hosed up implications.

Also, there was very, very little 80s music. One of the best excuses to have stuff set in the 80s is so you can stuff your soundtrack with Echo and the Bunnymen, Psychedelic Furs, Adam and the Ants and the Cars. Blue Monday was used heavily in the trailers, but it wasn't in the film. Like not even a montage set to music, and we had 2 scenes of people trying to figure out outfits!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, the setting seemed like a complete afterthought once the Steve clothing montage was over. Even the Soviet stuff didn稚 feel like an exclusively 80s thing, as weird as that sounds. You could have subbed any mention of Soviets or Russia for some other country and the last act would have played out pretty much the same.

Go big or don稚 bother. Pump your movie full of New Wave and use actual Reagan as a war-hungry piece of poo poo instead of some knockoff that isn稚 even named in dialogue.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Someone has just reminded me that whatever it's flaws, this is not the worst Wonder Woman production Pedro Pascal has been in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I figured they were trying to suggest Regan but knowing WB they probably have some Regan lovers in the exec so they didn't want him mocked or tarnished so we got someone with similar hair. Look at Captain Marvel, they did a really good job of making it the 90s. The music, how people dressed, the fact everyone is used to clunky computers. Maybe it works better because I remember the 90s better than the 80s, but it feels like window dressing more than anything. This story could have been set in any decade really.

A friend of mine watched New Mutants today and he asked me who Reyes was emailing in it, and I said Mr Sinister, which gave me an image of Mr Sinister in his full glam outfit sitting in a gamer chair in a twitch streaming room answering emails.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

I figured they were trying to suggest Regan but knowing WB they probably have some Regan lovers in the exec so they didn't want him mocked or tarnished so we got someone with similar hair. Look at Captain Marvel, they did a really good job of making it the 90s. The music, how people dressed, the fact everyone is used to clunky computers. Maybe it works better because I remember the 90s better than the 80s, but it feels like window dressing more than anything. This story could have been set in any decade really.

Captain Marvel felt like it was in the 90s rather than WW having a 80s theme. With CM you had Blockbuster, payphone, beeper, the slow computer. These were things that were interacted with and help build that sense it was the 90s. (Music and dress also played a big role). WW was just a movie with a 80s theme. Beyond the decor of Steve's room, his outfit sequence and the jazzercise what else was really 80s?

Should note I grew up in the later 90s so I no nothing of the 80s really.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There was uhh that group of breakdancers who were inexplicably all white people

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

site posted:

There was uhh that group of breakdancers who were inexplicably all white people

Yeah, that's more of a 2000s thing!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

The 80s was when capitalism was unleashed. That 80s excess fit for the tone of the movie. "All you have to do is want it!". If it's set now, everyone would be like "yeah sure bud, we were promised poo poo out whole lives and we all know it's just a big fraud". But back then people truly believed in the American dream. The reach for more everything had no bounds, and no costs. Set now this movie wouldn't work.
That plus the spectre of the Cold War (and Egypt taking the place of Afghanistan as a proxy war) made the time period work.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah in 2020 when 30% of Americans have no wealth at all, millions are unemployed, people are dying en mass from a virus, global warming is destroying the planet, etc no one has ever wished for something that would make their lives better

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Digital Jedi posted:

Captain Marvel felt like it was in the 90s rather than WW having a 80s theme. With CM you had Blockbuster, payphone, beeper, the slow computer. These were things that were interacted with and help build that sense it was the 90s. (Music and dress also played a big role). WW was just a movie with a 80s theme. Beyond the decor of Steve's room, his outfit sequence and the jazzercise what else was really 80s?

Should note I grew up in the later 90s so I no nothing of the 80s really.

I don't think there's was a single scene where Diana l didn't look like she was could be in 2020. Her hair, her make up, and get outfits all could be seen on someone today and you wouldn't blink an eye.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JT Smiley posted:

I don't think there's was a single scene where Diana l didn't look like she was could be in 2020. Her hair, her make up, and get outfits all could be seen on someone today and you wouldn't blink an eye.

I think this was intentional at least for her. Timeless outfits are a thing she does in both the other movies too.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
sounds to me like this is being rushed into production so that it can wrap before filming starts on Rogue Squadron, hope I知 wrong

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1343258833309691904?s=21

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

site posted:

Yeah in 2020 when 30% of Americans have no wealth at all, millions are unemployed, people are dying en mass from a virus, global warming is destroying the planet, etc no one has ever wished for something that would make their lives better

That's kind of my point. ie, (If it's set now, everyone would be like "yeah sure bud, we were promised poo poo our whole lives and we all know it's just a big fraud".)
The movie was an indictment of the 80s mindset: greedy, consumerist, capitalist. I mean it's basically espousing the dangers of ultra-capitalism ("what is there to wish for but "more!" More everything! More nukes!"): it leads to the world ending.
Note the wishes the movie shows people making; "I want to be famous", "I want the Irish bastards to go back to where they came from", "I wish for more nukes", etc. Pretty clear indictment on that kind of thinking, and not "I wish my children weren't starving to death".

Obviously if you think about the mechanics of the wish granting there are holes, but that's the problem with comics in general (why doesn't Superman solve global hunger?).
But regardless I thought the overall messaging of the movie was pretty clear.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Barry Convex posted:

sounds to me like this is being rushed into production so that it can wrap before filming starts on Rogue Squadron, hope I知 wrong

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1343258833309691904?s=21

Serious question, what does DC even have on their future slate besides this, The Batman, and Shazam 2? I知 assuming an Aquaman 2 is also probably likely, along with whatever movie Harley Quinn will inevitably show up in.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Serious question, what does DC even have on their future slate besides this, The Batman, and Shazam 2? I知 assuming an Aquaman 2 is also probably likely, along with whatever movie Harley Quinn will inevitably show up in.

Suicide Squad. Snyder cut.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Black Adam.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like Black Adam's been in development for a decade.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I'll believe Black Adam is a movie when I see a trailer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I can稚 tell if I知 surprised or not that DC managed to poo poo the bed on Wonder Woman 2. On the one hand, the first one was their first real success in terms of making a watchable movie. On the other hand... it痴 DC.

I didn稚 like a lot of Wonder Woman but it was decent enough I was thinking of catching the sequel but with how the reception is I知 not sure I知 going to bother now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still plan to watch it. I still have to watch Birds of Prey for my "marathon". But like, rewatching all the DCEU movies the last couple of weeks its not like my expectations for WW84 were especially high anyway. If there's some stuff I enjoy but part of a largely flawed/mess of a film then that's kinda the DCEU in a nutshell.