Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I can't believe bud is a bee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Bud comes back looking like Dracula jr. from Megg, Mogg and Owl.
(gross)
https://i.imgur.com/L9ge3Ag.png
(his face got smashed in a very :barf: fashion)

Kennel fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 12, 2020

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Alt text: "The Government Nerd's name is Fate"

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Loving Bud’s pre-transform outfit

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

I can't believe Bud is loving dead.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's a sad and little known fact that about 70% of the Magical Girl fatalities are caused by other MGs.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kennel posted:

It's a sad and little known fact that about 70% of the Magical Girl fatalities are caused by other MGs.

If we consider Goops a Magical Girl, then 100% of the MG fatalities we've seen were caused by one!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

jng2058 posted:

If we consider Goops a Magical Girl, then 100% of the MG fatalities we've seen were caused by one!

Even Mitsuki?

And yeah Bud's fashion sense is great. Cool to see Harley's casual clothes too, that's a really nice jacket.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Even Mitsuki?

Given that Goops mentions her mom's death to Kokoro during the intimidation phone call, I don't think we can rule it out. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Reading back, this revelation makes this much, much more interesting.

She can't have the dream again, because someone or something is blocking it. And now we have a pretty good idea of who. (Also, lol, totally forgot that she only found out about Goops in the first place because whats-her-face broke the fourth wall.)

Edit: Zoe's theme is a 'magical pop remix' of Metal Mario, according to alt text, and I think I found something sorta fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elha5xZJCbM

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 12, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Reading back, this revelation makes this much, much more interesting.

She can't have the dream again, because someone or something is blocking it. And now we have a pretty good idea of who. (Also, lol, totally forgot that she only found out about Goops in the first place because whats-her-face broke the fourth wall.)

Edit: Zoe's theme is a 'magical pop remix' of Metal Mario, according to alt text, and I think I found something sorta fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elha5xZJCbM

A bit minor, but I think this is the girl trying to give tessa some peace of mind for a night, like she did with undine in an earlier chapter https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-9-page-25 rather than trying to give her the dream again.

That said I don't think this is goops specifically blocking her. I think its more to do with what Tessa did, giving up her powers like she did, cutting off that access entirely.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Unlucky7 posted:

I can't believe Bud is loving dead.

Talk poo poo, get crit(ical hit)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Getting straight to it with a splash page.

Mary's art fits that aesthetic surprisingly well.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

"She came in 4 feet of height and head wide as her torso, I knew immediately I was talking to a Mahou"

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Zoe don’t steal Bud’s hat like that!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-2

I see Rue's native skepticism is acting up again.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 20, 2020

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

New page: https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-17-page-2

Tonight's battlefield is the 80's neon background from that one meme. I really like Zoe's outfit.

e: beaten, dang.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I don't think it is cool to post the whole image.

Very cool aesthetic to this night.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Just needs some palm trees and white marble monsters and we have a vapor wave night.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

honestly my thought was just a generic 90s cyberzone

which is...admittidly, very hand in hand with vaporwave, but a different vibe. Feel like i'm about to Surf the Web or perhaps do a Cyberchase

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It's just VR training (it probably isn't)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
City looking like the intro to a PrimeThanatos Back to the 80s video right now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update. Starting to put the pieces together, perhaps?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Interesting revelation from Rue that monsters die off naturally once the barriers reset. Seems to imply that either most of the time there's a field inside the city killing off monsters automatically that needs to turn off in the middle of the night, or that the inner barrier is sustaining the monsters in the first place and they can't survive without it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tenebrais posted:

Interesting revelation from Rue that monsters die off naturally once the barriers reset. Seems to imply that either most of the time there's a field inside the city killing off monsters automatically that needs to turn off in the middle of the night, or that the inner barrier is sustaining the monsters in the first place and they can't survive without it.
What if the monsters aren't the reason for the barrier, but are a side-effect of the barrier, and its actual purpose is for something else entirely?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Here is the first explanation of the barriers. "We all know it keeps the monsters out" is mighty suspicious language. We know that there are people outside the city, and we know they think using magical girls like the city does is pretty gross. I wonder what it's like out there.

Eight now I lean towards thinking the outer barrier is in some way the first magical girl who gives the dream out. And the inner barrier is in some way goops, the second magical girl who hates her role.

I definitely can't imagine that goops and the first magical girl don't have a relationship that soured because of jealousy/resentment/something. The theming of everything else is too much in line with that.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wittgen posted:

Here is the first explanation of the barriers. "We all know it keeps the monsters out" is mighty suspicious language. We know that there are people outside the city, and we know they think using magical girls like the city does is pretty gross.

How do we know this?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
we absolutely do not know anything to be true about what's outside the barrier and that's fully intentional at this point in the comic

I do understand the impulse to not trust anything we're told about the setting, but it could also be that at some point in the future someone gets revved up about getting to the other side and seeing what's actually out there and finding out it's just as horrible as we've been told

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The dude with the rat is from outside the city and finds the conditions the magical girls endure reprehensible. Can’t really say much more about the outside than that. Is he representative of anyone or anything? Is he basically a post apocalyptic nomad who happened across the city? We have no idea.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The potential twist offered by Anemone's monologue there is that the barrier really is meant to keep people inside the bubble more than to keep monsters out. Going even further, the max-cynicism option is that the monsters are an artificial problem to justify the barrier. That can be tempered with some doses of "this was set up long ago and modern leadership forgot" and/or "the intended result wasn't exactly this but things got out of control".

I can't decide if I'm expecting something along those lines, but that's the shape I'm giving to the more sinister ways this could play out.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

He also had a bizarrely High tech looking grenade with him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

The potential twist offered by Anemone's monologue there is that the barrier really is meant to keep people inside the bubble more than to keep monsters out. Going even further, the max-cynicism option is that the monsters are an artificial problem to justify the barrier. That can be tempered with some doses of "this was set up long ago and modern leadership forgot" and/or "the intended result wasn't exactly this but things got out of control".

I can't decide if I'm expecting something along those lines, but that's the shape I'm giving to the more sinister ways this could play out.

Turns out this is the most elaborate Vault-tec facility in the wasteland.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Captain Oblivious posted:

The dude with the rat is from outside the city and finds the conditions the magical girls endure reprehensible. Can’t really say much more about the outside than that. Is he representative of anyone or anything? Is he basically a post apocalyptic nomad who happened across the city? We have no idea.

I don't see anything about Mark being from outside the city in his comics. He never tells Undine that, though he's pretty cagey. Does Anemone tell us that, or are we assuming based on his tech (which seems foolish given we've only followed magical girls for the most part, who wouldn't need it)?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't see anything about Mark being from outside the city in his comics. He never tells Undine that, though he's pretty cagey. Does Anemone tell us that, or are we assuming based on his tech (which seems foolish given we've only followed magical girls for the most part, who wouldn't need it)?

Anemone says she doesn't know anything about him, surprised because she's supposed to know everything about "everyone in the city". Or something along those lines.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think there's a page where you can see his journal and it spells it out that's he's from outside the city.

e: I'm misremembering, there is a page with a journal that refers to "the locals" and such, but it's possible that it's Anemone's or someone else's journal instead. https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/interstitial-3

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 25, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's implicit. He talks about inhabitants of the city as "locals" in his journal and regards magical girls as a strange and foreign practice.

He never says he's from outside the city, but everything about his behavior and speech implies it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

I think there's a page where you can see his journal and it spells it out that's he's from outside the city.

e: I'm misremembering, there is a page with a journal that refers to "the locals" and such, but it's possible that it's Anemone's or someone else's journal instead. https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/interstitial-3

Given that she has a variety of stationary she's used over the series but this journal is on some young girl's stationary. I think Mark's dumpster diving led him to get this current journal. On top of that Anemone doesn't seem to need to move bases nor worry about being seen by magical Girls since everyone forgets about her anyways.

Also his comments about how the weather doesn't match the sky would also indicate he's not from within the dome.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Am I the only one that hears Steve Blum when reading Mark’s dialogue?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Julius CSAR posted:

Am I the only one that hears Steve Blum when reading Mark’s dialogue?

I hear Johnny Yong Bosch but he’s pretty Steve Blum adjacent. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
It's interesting that Mark swears "Jesus", but the city usually cusses by the Founder (but Undine still seems to recognize that it's a swear)