Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
watched a ways into the second season of his dark materials. somehow it feels cheesier than the first. it’s probably mostly that the source material is much worse, because the first book is definitely the best of that series. but they’ve also made some pretty lazy choices, and the acting (especially lmm, who to be fair does not have a lot to work with) is verging on parody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I've been on and off watching star trek discovery and my god does this take a nosedive in season 3

like it wasn't great before but had its moments but there is some utter trash writing going on here, like the entire waste of time episode with the vulcan argument that can be summed up as both sides going "nuh uh!" and then Burnham winning because she is emotional, and the pilot woman who had ptsd, got over it, then got it again, then got sent on a probable suicide mission and was like "yes this was the solution now I feel great!" after "setting controls to manual" which raises the question about what the hell all the buttons she was hammering were doing if they weren't controlling the ship

the only well written character is the giant cat and the two gay dads

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bump_fn posted:

yeah the show pleasantly avoided the obvious tropes of abuse and assault in coming of age stories

the chess board ceiling was so loving dumb i lost it when it appeared in the final match

the chess board ceiling visualization was kinda dumb but there are several famous grandmasters that stare at the ceiling when thinking during games

also yes i think that girl was a russian agent

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a white russian is a drink

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

anyone here watching “raised by wolves”? the 2020 sci fi show? it’s an hbo thing

i’ve never seen anything quite like it. it’s like real sci fi maybe

it’s kinda cool and the necromancer is badass when she’s weaponised

that show starts off cool but gets worse and worse. the ending is comically bad

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

fart simpson posted:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
raised by wolves is one of the only shows i've ever heard one of the uhh yeah dude guys solicit feedback to explain what the hell happened at the end lol

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

rjmccall posted:

watched a ways into the second season of his dark materials. somehow it feels cheesier than the first. it’s probably mostly that the source material is much worse, because the first book is definitely the best of that series. but they’ve also made some pretty lazy choices, and the acting (especially lmm, who to be fair does not have a lot to work with) is verging on parody

i was glad to finish it, some of the changes from the book are good others bad

just glad it's getting a 3rd season

it was a drat shame that they couldn't make the first movie into the trilogy considering the original cast but i'll grasp at straws for the denouement

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Kenny Logins posted:

uhh yeah dude

drat i used to listen to that all the time and totally forgot about it. might see how theyre doin

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

drat i used to listen to that all the time and totally forgot about it. might see how theyre doin
until recently they were doing throwback eps to have something else to talk about besides the election/pandemic. they're back to normal now since the beginning of december

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

i was glad to finish it, some of the changes from the book are good others bad

just glad it's getting a 3rd season

it was a drat shame that they couldn't make the first movie into the trilogy considering the original cast but i'll grasp at straws for the denouement

I never read the books but I remember the first movie being kinda poo poo when I saw it in theaters, just in terms of execution.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

shoeberto posted:

I never read the books but I remember the first movie being kinda poo poo when I saw it in theaters, just in terms of execution.

yeah it had a fantastic cast but just flopped, was barely entertaining

one of those hey let's make a ya film they're all the rage and whoops

s3 of the hdm show will finally give me the catharsis i need

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

indigi posted:

it was poorly directed then, imo. put your boot on his windpipe or something and then I’ll see murderous intent, she just seemed to be beating the poo poo out of him after he twice attempted to sexually assault or rape her. the soundtrack was doing all the heavy lifting in that scene

agreed, if that was the intent they should have pushed to the limit because anything she did was opposite her original persona, going to an extreme would help set the tone better since we had no new baseline

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

shoeberto posted:

it was the most soulless kind of adaptation, just a speedrun through the cliffs notes of the book with a couple of big expensive set-piece action scenes, completely discarding all of the things that made the book good in the first place (pullmans writing, his interrogation of religious themes, etc.)

had a great cast and production design though

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/ccjones13/status/1342973609237606407?s=21

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

rjmccall posted:

yeah, the second season feels like it's just treading water and strangely like nothing has really happened despite quite a lot actually happening. the plot developments just don't seem to have much impact for some reason.

also watching the mandalorian which, granting that it's a kids show, is pretty dang enjoyable and easily the best star wars in forty years (tho rogue one was pretty good). it nails the asthetic of the ot so well it's incredible; you can tell the people behind it actually give a poo poo. i can't say i was expecting the thrawn name drop tho, gonna be interesting seeing where that leads.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Oneiros posted:

also watching the mandalorian which, granting that it's a kids show, is pretty dang enjoyable and easily the best star wars in forty years (tho rogue one was pretty good). it nails the asthetic of the ot so well it's incredible; you can tell the people behind it actually give a poo poo. i can't say i was expecting the thrawn name drop tho, gonna be interesting seeing where that leads.
he is apparently a big part of the ongoing story in one of the rebels/resistance/clone wars cartoon shows, no doubt it is a strand that will be picked up on in one of the eleven or so coming star wars tv shows

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Oneiros posted:

yeah, the second season feels like it's just treading water and strangely like nothing has really happened despite quite a lot actually happening. the plot developments just don't seem to have much impact for some reason.

having read the thrawn books when i was a kid i'm kind of looking forward to this

my cousin and i read a bunch of eu stuff back in the day and the prequels disappointed us with his exclusion

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its funny cause disney nuked the star war EU specifically so they could stop paying those authors and replace it with an EU over which they had full control of the IP. now they seem to be going back on that as all the new star war content seems to be based entirely in the old EU.

i wonder if timothy zahn and the rest will get paid or if disney is gonna try to stop paying them like they did to alan dean foster.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

it turns out the Disney machine is very good at extracting Content from IP but not great at generating new IP

also cheaper to just not pay for older IP (adf lol)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

it turns out the Disney machine is very good at extracting Content from IP but not great at generating new IP

also cheaper to just not pay for older IP (adf lol)

mostly just good at the kind of nostalgia/fandom/recapturing media from ones youth thing. making money on new ip is a risky short-term thing, which they only do to the extent they do to have it eventually transform into nostalgic ip.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

its funny cause disney nuked the star war EU specifically so they could stop paying those authors and replace it with an EU over which they had full control of the IP. now they seem to be going back on that as all the new star war content seems to be based entirely in the old EU.

i wonder if timothy zahn and the rest will get paid or if disney is gonna try to stop paying them like they did to alan dean foster.

"we bought the rights, not the obligations"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

imma pretend you said it was good coz my brain is damaged

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

ugh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i mean, what are you going to do, sue disney?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

they clearly picked an author who had significant contributions to the IP but who probably wasnt making a bunch of money. if they win they win big, if they lose its not so bad

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

rjmccall posted:

Oneiros posted:

holy poo poo glad it's not just me. I liked the first season a fair bit but man i'm "treading water" in watching the second one so far too. just kinda meandering and end up loving off doing something else or falling asleep. it's really quite weird and something is off about it. could be the source material, although i read them when i was a kid when they first came out so i don't remember mucha bout them.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the mandohorian

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Shaggar posted:

they brought zahn in pretty early on after they nuked the eu, so hes in disneys warm embrace, fortunately

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Xaris posted:

holy poo poo glad it's not just me. I liked the first season a fair bit but man i'm "treading water" in watching the second one so far too. just kinda meandering and end up loving off doing something else or falling asleep. it's really quite weird and something is off about it. could be the source material, although i read them when i was a kid when they first came out so i don't remember mucha bout them.

the second book is really weak, there’s an awful lot of arbitrary-feeling events and decisions that happen to lead the characters directly along their fated path. also lee scoresby is the first of many characters who basically gives up all independent character motivation in favor of just putting himself blindly in lyra’s service

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
well i'm just glad my signed copy of the last command is rotting in a storage unit

storage wars: return of the fungi

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
raised by wolfs feels like they had an ending prepared and stuff and then two shows before it ended someone told them that they had to make two more seasons and they just threw some stuff together

like my advice is watch the show but don't watch the last two episodes and then make up the way you think it should have ended.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

rjmccall posted:

the second book is really weak, there’s an awful lot of arbitrary-feeling events and decisions that happen to lead the characters directly along their fated path. also lee scoresby is the first of many characters who basically gives up all independent character motivation in favor of just putting himself blindly in lyra’s service
Maybe it's that, but something about the production/everything about season 2 feels really off, like.. cheaper looking, worse acting, weird camera work, etc.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Xaris posted:

Maybe it's that, but something about the production/everything about season 2 feels really off, like.. cheaper looking, worse acting, weird camera work, etc.

thats just how all filmed footage of england looks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the color of everything there is just slightly not good enough

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Good Omens seemed fine. especially Anathema 😍

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the lady playing anathema is hot as balls

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/IChotiner/status/1343261829007478784

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yeah, that’s what happened

Adbot