Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Daymare stinks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I should've listened. Outlast II was a slog. Instead of taking the time to write out a block of thoughts, I'll just join the chorus saying it's a game that can be skipped without missing much.

But I also played Detention, and I liked that a bit better.

I'm not the most rigorous horror gamer, but I'm suffering from the SH2 clone fatigue. I've gotten to the point where I automatically give horror games extra points for not being about guilt*. Maybe that's why I liked Murder House better than either of those games.

*although to be fair, I don't think Outlast II was about anything other than including edgy stuff to prompt clickbaitey articles around release in place of having a marketing budget

I'm going to play the first Evil Within pretty soon I think. Everyone talking about how cool the second one is makes me want in on it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You don't have to play the first Evil Within just for the sake of continuity, not a whole lot carried over from the first into the second, and the mechanisms of the game are way better in the sequel.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I never played the first one and it was fine. The first one is really clunky so I just watched a summary (and a bit of twitch at some point). EW2 is a ton of fun though.

Do we have a thread for games like 7 Days to Die? I've been kinda consumed by it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It's a pain in the rear end to backstab dudes in The Evil Within 2 since they're so fidgety and because it's difficult to know what constitutes a "back" when their spine is iin every direction.

Fantastic game though you'll need a guide given the many points of no return. I'm too much of a pussy to play RE4 beyond the castle entrance.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm the TEW1 apologist who vastly prefers it over the sequel because it's basically an anthology of survival horror video games in the style of RE4 but it is obtuse and frustrating game at all times even when you manage to upgrade your sprint beyond literally 4 seconds.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The two biggest things that bugged me about TEW1 were that a lot of boss fights were "shoot the environmental thing that you shot before to test and it did nothing but now it is working", and also that the story was interesting when you look at it as a whole, but scene by scene it didn't really hold attention well.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

al-azad posted:

I'm the TEW1 apologist who vastly prefers it over the sequel because it's basically an anthology of survival horror video games in the style of RE4 but it is obtuse and frustrating game at all times even when you manage to upgrade your sprint beyond literally 4 seconds.

Yeah I like the original more. I mean I like them both, but I ended up liking the original more.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Evil Within 2 is better than Evil Within 1 in pretty much every way yet is somehow still a worse game

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I just wasn't super interested in an anime serial killer as the core of the game. It also needed a unifying aesthetic, but unfortunately that's pretty anathema to the whole stone soup concept of the Evil Within. It can be, and is, everything. So the parts that work are brief.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I do think the highlight of EW2 is chapter 3 and the large area to explore, with so much content packed in many of the buildings you find. I must have spent seven hours in that area alone finding everything I could. There's another largish area in chapter 7 but not as much content.

I like the story but the dialog could be better written. It's serviceable but not really compelling. The only character that I've actually been a bit fond of was the Torres character.

The atmosphere is fantastic though and really compels me to keep playing.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 27, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It's a pain in the rear end to backstab dudes in The Evil Within 2 since they're so fidgety and because it's difficult to know what constitutes a "back" when their spine is iin every direction.

Fantastic game though you'll need a guide given the many points of no return. I'm too much of a pussy to play RE4 beyond the castle entrance.

There's a skill which lets you run up from behind and backstab from a distance. It is extremely satisfying.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

Do we have a thread for games like 7 Days to Die? I've been kinda consumed by it.

There's actually a specific 7DTD thread on the forums already, but it doesn't get much traffic due to the lack of things to talk about and the slow update schedule. That being said, go ahead and post your experiences; it's a real fun game that captures something in its core gameplay loop that nothing else really does. God knows I've gotten my money's worth out of it with my 1.6k+ hours :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Blattdorf posted:

There's a skill which lets you run up from behind and backstab from a distance. It is extremely satisfying.

It is super expensive but on the other hand the PC version is kind of busted because as soon as you unlock the shooting gallery you can blaze through it with perfect accuracy using the mouse and wrack up like 100,000 goo in one sitting.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

al-azad posted:

It is super expensive but on the other hand the PC version is kind of busted because as soon as you unlock the shooting gallery you can blaze through it with perfect accuracy using the mouse and wrack up like 100,000 goo in one sitting.

'That was fun. Now I should see about that whole "rescuing my daughter thing".'

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"Don't come in, ma, I'm wrackin' up goo!"

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Reminder that there is as very good first person perspective option in Evil Within 2's settings.

I beat Amnesia: Rebirth last night. It was ok. It was a little light on the scares, the puzzles were all very simple, and I think I accidentally got a weird ending. I thought I would be able to make a run for the Paris portal after injecting the red tumor juice into the ghost lady, but I just died instead. To be fair, the game said I "probably wouldn't survive" if I took the ghost lady out, but I figured they were just being dramatic.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Black August posted:

Yume Nikki and .flow hold some serious special spots in my heart and creative inspiration, and I love that the Yume creator is still a total unknown

Yume 2 is also cool for being such a big collaborative fan project with so so many environments and neat scenes

I've heard good things about Yuque as a relative newcomer, the pixel art is very nice for certain.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
If you only play one Evil Within game, it should be 2.

But 2 has a very cool moment that doesn't really hit unless you've played 1.

So you should play both.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah I’d say that they’re both cheap enough and good enough to warrant playing both. Neither game commits so many sins that I’d be uncomfortable recommending them to a horror fan; I wouldn’t even say either one is an “average” game—they’re both good.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I'll do both but I forgot I'm in the middle of Revelations 2, so I need to finish that first

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Evil Within 2 is a much better game than the first, but the first has a more unique and dreamlike horror atmosphere which the sequel only sometimes reaches. Honestly, I'd probably prefer the first game if it toned down on the one hit kill bullshit; I don't even know why the first game even gave you a life bar when most of the enemies and traps had moves which could one hit kill you. It's like an entire game where every enemy is the chainsaw guy from RE4.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

One of my favorite shooter tropes is leading enemies into traps so yeah it's annoying but I love so many of the set pieces like the room that's a whirling propeller blade you have to crouch through and you can shoot enemies to force them to stand up.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
The first recording my roommate at the time ever saved on his PS4 was from TEW1. He ran into a room, saw a horde of enemies coming toward him, panic-fired an explosive trap, and bolted back to the hallway. He turned in time to hear the explosion and then after a beat a single severed arm flew across the doorway with perfect comic timing. I wonder if he still has it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh yeah, TEW1 is really gory in a way a lot of mature rated games aren't. There are so many ways both you and enemies can get gibbed and maimed.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

Danknificent posted:

I don’t know if good is the word but I thought Murder House was cool

As for a ps1 style tank control horror throwback... I don’t know.
It executed chases as well as any game I can think of off the top of my head besides clock tower, tank controls combined with you getting into a hiding spot as quickly as possible is simple but it works. I kind of think he's reached the limit of the basic slasher killer premise though.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 29, 2020

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
OMORI looks interesting. Has anyone played it?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Tired Moritz posted:

OMORI looks interesting. Has anyone played it?

I thought it was very good. It's only partly a horror game though. The rest of it is actually extremely wholesome and sweet.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Someone described it as the love child of Earthbound and Yume Nikki to me, so I'm guessing it's more eerie and surreal than scary.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I feel like the dread x collection and puppet combo and haunted ps1 demo disc stuff are like only a few steps removed from a full blown illbleed sendup and tbh all I want to see right now is someone taking a shot at what illbleed did

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Illbleed is perfect just the way it is.
https://twitter.com/illbleed_txt/status/1016898796620525569

Would be nice, though - horror as a genre really isn't doing so well these days. It has been such a long time since we've seen a good comedy horror game. When was even the last time anyone here in this thread talked about a game that wasn't a completely self-serious ooh you're such a bad dad and it's all your fault and you feel so bad and you're going crazy because you deserve it wannabe art game or cash-in?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I bought Visage. Hopefully it’s good.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

oldpainless posted:

I bought Visage. Hopefully it’s good.

I am enjoying it. Outside the controls/inventory system being hot garbage; it delivered me some good spooks.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Any opinions on Chilla's Art games and scriptwelder's? Should I buy any of them?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chilla's Art is a pretty wide gamut. Aka Manto is a mediocre Puppet Combo ripoff but The Convenience Store is a pretty good Puppet Combo ripoff lol.

Calling them the Japanese Puppet Combo is pretty apt. Their games are amateurish (two students I think) but make effective use of resources and are spins on horror through an Asian lens. Middling to decent 2-hour experiences for $3, par the course for horror video games.

Don't Escape I have nothing but good things to say. They're like mid-aughts Newgrounds era point and click adventure games. Very compartmentalized, usually multiple endings, meant to be replayed to find everything so they checkmark all the high points of horror: short, well paced, suspenseful despite a small budget.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Admittedly I didn't finish it myself because I got annoyed with the hallway ghosts, but I watched a full playthrough of Onryo and it kind of reinforced everything I felt while playing it. It's pretty repetitive, involves some dumb inventory management, and the combat was tedious. That said, it's like a $5 game when it's not on sale, so it's hard to fault it too much. That's the only Chilla's game I've played, though.

I'm all for this trend of small indie horror devs that churn out games, honestly. Sure, a lot of the games are gonna range from mediocre to bad, but you never know when one is going to grab you or when they'll put out a real gem. I didn't like Onryo in the balance, but it was competent and stylish enough that it makes me want to try some of their other games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My opinion of horror media is that it's at its best when it's short and low budget. Love Sam was a surprise hit last year, a game that takes place almost entirely in a single room and the entirety of its gameplay is reading a book.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kind of bending the "horror game" label, but does anyone know the deal with Don't Starve? If you are playing solo is it still best to play the original, or is Together where you should be now?

It looks like they stopped updating the solo one in 2019 so I am unsure of the differences now.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Kind of bending the "horror game" label, but does anyone know the deal with Don't Starve? If you are playing solo is it still best to play the original, or is Together where you should be now?

It looks like they stopped updating the solo one in 2019 so I am unsure of the differences now.

The single player had the Hamlet DLC released last year which changes the game to play almost like an unforgiving town sim with treasure hunting. The previous DLC (shipwrecked), Hamlet and the Reign of Giants update can all link to each other so you can have all 3 worlds active. It's pretty big!

There's so much new stuff in Together I haven't even touched because my connection is too shite to join servers. Farming and travelling by raft is now a thing and characters are getting reworked with specific abilities. I think it's still possible to play solo offline but enemy health is scaled for groups so it has an added difficulty.

I guess it depends how you play. The original as a solo player is totally fine and the DLC's add a lot of variety but if you're after regular content updates and events then Together is the one you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DrSnakeLaser posted:

The single player had the Hamlet DLC released last year which changes the game to play almost like an unforgiving town sim with treasure hunting. The previous DLC (shipwrecked), Hamlet and the Reign of Giants update can all link to each other so you can have all 3 worlds active. It's pretty big!

There's so much new stuff in Together I haven't even touched because my connection is too shite to join servers. Farming and travelling by raft is now a thing and characters are getting reworked with specific abilities. I think it's still possible to play solo offline but enemy health is scaled for groups so it has an added difficulty.

I guess it depends how you play. The original as a solo player is totally fine and the DLC's add a lot of variety but if you're after regular content updates and events then Together is the one you want.

Ah okay, so Together is more of a group server thing than a peer-to-peer connection, so I want the original to play solo best. Cheers.

To be clear I already have a lot of hours in the original, I was just wondering if Together was the more updated version. If it doesn't have Hamlet and such then I'll give it a miss.