Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

i say swears online posted:

please do not eat morning glory seeds

I didn't say that you should, necessarily... just that you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Squinky v2.0 posted:

maine potato lady is legit

sends good potatoes and garlics for growing in the ground

have ordered from her the last 3 years and enjoyed many a potatoe

https://www.mainepotatolady.com/

Nice, will check this lady out

I'm really loving how weird and cool a lot of gardening folks are

Normally I would rather read a book than suffer through a Youtube video, but some of these gardening ones are delightful

like this old guy in the UK and his dog Molly talking about growing carrots in a pot. In the video he counts like 50 carrots one by one, several times, while his dog sniffs around trying to sneak a carrot and it's just the most adorable loving thing :allears:

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Ugh, I guess I'll own up to these aerogarden tomatoes

shameful. :(

Obviously I really need to improve my pruning game if I'm not going to transplant them out of the aero. Pretty sure I waited way too long and then pruned too aggressively

Gonna try various methods of container gardening next. Still waiting for most of the seeds I ordered, but today I'll be starting some tom thumb lettuces, which are adorable little butterheads

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I did the same to my basil

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I started some of the millet I harvested in summer as an experiment and it all came up. so I have grown viable millet. my asian pear and loquat seeds are just molding in the pots though

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Happy Thread posted:

I did the same to my basil

Can't wait to grow some basil! I ordered large leaf seeds, and on a whim some lime basil because I've never tried it and it sounds interesting

Someone gifted me an enormous bag of pine nuts a while back, which has been sitting in my freezer patiently waiting to be turned into pesto

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

what’s a cool alternative ground cover to grass? zone 8b

I got some construction guys to fill in the depression behind my fence & I don’t want it to wash away. they put a green net and some straw over the dirt but that’s not very aesthetic

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Clover is a pretty popular and fast growing alternative and it helps the bees if it ends up being around that long.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

wolfs posted:

I got some construction guys to fill in the depression behind my fence & I don’t want it to wash away. they put a green net and some straw over the dirt but that’s not very aesthetic

normally construction crews spread a seed mix before putting down an erosion blanket.

if can, ask them what it was. if it's not just turf grass, it might be a seed mix recommended by your state's Departments of Transportation or something similar. That will let you know what you're dealing with.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Seconding clover, there's an empty lot near me that's like 90% clover and it's very pretty. You'll also get that 'field of flowers' effect when they bloom!

If it's well-shaded and moist, you could also try moss, although I don't know anything about how to cultivate moss

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wolfs posted:

if it gets sunlight, asian jasmine should do well. it fills in around six inches high so dunno if you wanted it walkable or not

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

yarrow can be nice on the feet, and it's more drought resistant than anything else in my yard apart from dandelions. It mixes well with clover too :)

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Stuck a sweet potato in a jar of water to grow some slips

Fuckin ghost ants found it in less than a day :mad:

So I mixed up a paste of diatomaceous earth and painted rings around my jar to keep the ants off. Seems to be working well so far

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the gently caress are ghost ants? how deep is the reserve of horrors 2020 holds?

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Extremely tiny and persistent little ants that are very difficult to keep out or get rid of. They're really bad in my area

Like regular house ants, but smaller and harder to see and even more annoying

Keep everything clean and dry and all food sealed, you never see them

Drop of maple syrup left on the kitchen counter and HO BOY HERE COME 6000 NEAR-INVISIBLE ANTS

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

snake and bake posted:

Ugh, I guess I'll own up to these aerogarden tomatoes

shameful. :(

Obviously I really need to improve my pruning game if I'm not going to transplant them out of the aero. Pretty sure I waited way too long and then pruned too aggressively

Gonna try various methods of container gardening next. Still waiting for most of the seeds I ordered, but today I'll be starting some tom thumb lettuces, which are adorable little butterheads

What kind of pruning technique are you going for? If anything I would prune away the suckers/nodes, especially the lower ones that will get less and less light. Otherwise they look really good, just one leaf showing a bit of N deficiency

Zeno-25 has issued a correction as of 07:15 on Dec 30, 2020

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Zeno-25 posted:

What kind of pruning technique are you going for? If anything I would prune away the suckers/nodes, especially the lower ones that will get less and less light. Otherwise they look really good, just one leaf showing a bit of N deficiency

I was trying to keep them short and bushy, instead I let them get tall and leggy

I have also learned that the aerogarden's alert to add more nutrients is not necessarily very accurate and shouldn't be followed strictly, lol.

A few days ago I added a wand type grow light to the setup, so the side/bottom areas get more light now

The lower half of the stems have started to fill out more with new branches so we'll see how that goes

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

Meanwhile, the lettuces in the other AG are beautiful but have gotten rather bitter already. I'm guessing either from being harvested too much (AG recommends frequent small harvests to limit crowding) or being too warm or getting too much nutrient fluid? I'm going to try flushing the reservoir but I don't know if it will help any at this point

Idk, I'm already thinking about selling one or both of the silly things, I didn't pay anywhere near full price and might be able to make my money back on them :shobon:

Meanwhile, my tom thumbs are sprouting in their peat pods

I'm just gonna stick those in pots and keep them inside under the grow lights

I have a yard but I'm not really keen on growing out there. For one thing we have an outrageous number of pests. The snails are probably the worst. Walk outside at night and it's hard to avoid stepping on them because they're all over the loving place

It's Florida so we also have poison trucks and helicopters billowing out clouds of pesticide (permethrin from the trucks, naled from the helicopters) to combat mosquitos, and I don't really want that poo poo settling on my edibles.

I don't really want that poo poo happening AT ALL but they do it all over Florida, even over the nature reserves, so I can't avoid it unless I leave the state. (Do other southern states do this??) it's loving beyond abhorrent and it's killing a hell of a lot more than mosquitos. I'm hoping the "mosquito control" programs are the first to fall as our state gov runs out of money and collapses under its own hubris

Couple nights ago I saw the poison truck go down my neighborhood street and close range blast a couple of people who were out riding their bikes because it had only just gotten dark. Hope it didn't gently caress them up too much. I stay inside, keep my windows shut and turn off the AC when they're spraying, but no one else around here seems to bat an eye at it, so maybe I'm the crazy one for not wanting to be constantly drenched in toxins

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

snake and bake posted:

Meanwhile, the lettuces in the other AG are beautiful but have gotten rather bitter already. I'm guessing either from being harvested too much (AG recommends frequent small harvests to limit crowding) or being too warm or getting too much nutrient fluid? I'm going to try flushing the reservoir but I don't know if it will help any at this point

Idk, I'm already thinking about selling one or both of the silly things, I didn't pay anywhere near full price and might be able to make my money back on them :shobon:

Meanwhile, my tom thumbs are sprouting in their peat pods

I'm just gonna stick those in pots and keep them inside under the grow lights

I have a yard but I'm not really keen on growing out there. For one thing we have an outrageous number of pests. The snails are probably the worst. Walk outside at night and it's hard to avoid stepping on them because they're all over the loving place

It's Florida so we also have poison trucks and helicopters billowing out clouds of pesticide (permethrin from the trucks, naled from the helicopters) to combat mosquitos, and I don't really want that poo poo settling on my edibles.

I don't really want that poo poo happening AT ALL but they do it all over Florida, even over the nature reserves, so I can't avoid it unless I leave the state. (Do other southern states do this??) it's loving beyond abhorrent and it's killing a hell of a lot more than mosquitos. I'm hoping the "mosquito control" programs are the first to fall as our state gov runs out of money and collapses under its own hubris

Couple nights ago I saw the poison truck go down my neighborhood street and close range blast a couple of people who were out riding their bikes because it had only just gotten dark. Hope it didn't gently caress them up too much. I stay inside, keep my windows shut and turn off the AC when they're spraying, but no one else around here seems to bat an eye at it, so maybe I'm the crazy one for not wanting to be constantly drenched in toxins

AC doesn’t draw in outside air.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

LibCrusher posted:

AC doesn’t draw in outside air.

Oh cool, thanks. Feel kinda dumb now but glad I can stop worrying about that

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

these loving ghost ants :argh:

they abandoned my mother potato after I painted the jar with DE, but have now gone after everything else

I had sealed off their point of entry but apparently by then they had already set up an indoor colony (inside of an old phone case in a box in the grow closet, what the gently caress)

time to burn the house down and start over

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
what an adventure

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

train the ants to search the neighborhood and bring back all the coins they find. it will be like them paying rent

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

train the ants to search the neighborhood and bring back all the coins they find. it will be like them paying rent

Already evicted them, the moratorium expired at midnight last night

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

snake and bake posted:

Already evicted them, the moratorium expired at midnight last night

reported for animal landlordism

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The ants are gentrifiers.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

i was given a bag of magic beans

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

cardboard is an important element of soil composition!

these two planters were left empty last year because for various reasons we never got around to ordering container soil to fill them up, so we've been dumping chicken crap and leaves and random yard detritus into them

today i mixed in some extra compost, garden soil, and a few random bags of sand we had around, covered it all with a few inches of potting soil, watered well, and covered with cardboard

might still need to add more container soil since I expect it'll settle a lot when the leaves rot, but hopefully this summer we'll be able to plant something in these babies

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

snake and bake posted:

I've been using my aerogarden pretty much exclusively for lettuces (and I'm growing some bok choy and maybe kale right now too) and being too warm will make em bolt, get bitter, or both

- - -

I've had a couple plants sitting near the aerogarden feasting off the spillover light and they're doing alright but I'm considering getting an extra, cheap grow lamp and doing some more lettuces or kale or something in some sterilized soil. might be a pain in the rear end but worth a shot! at least I could keep my extra herb plants alive a little bit better.

my christmas cactus bloomed in october and again around christmas :) last year I had every succulent and cactus bloom, many lasting for months, it owned

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

snoo posted:

I've been using my aerogarden pretty much exclusively for lettuces (and I'm growing some bok choy and maybe kale right now too) and being too warm will make em bolt, get bitter, or both

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Temperature is always going to be an issue for me, even growing indoors. I have the AG salad mix in there (minus the red sails that didn't sprout) and some of them have been bolting, especially the black-seeded simpsons

I'm in brutal zone 9b and it's barely been cold yet here. My house has been sitting around 75F most of the time for the last 2 months without running the heat at all. It's a cold war era cinderblock bunker on a huge terrazzo slab, so it does not change temperature quickly. Overnight drops are basically unnoticable

Gonna be even more of a problem when it's 95+ outside for 6-8 months and my old rear end AC is struggling to keep the bunker below 85 in the afternoons :thumbsup:

I'll just have to cave in and switch to some other kind of greenery that can better withstand the heat. I got seeds for heat-resistant lettuce varieties that might work in winter/early spring, but I doubt they will do well the rest of the year

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I got my seed orders in, have a few more to do, but we have 25+ veggies and my wife wanted a bunch of herbs so we have that, too. Next up is to plan the garden out a bit for materials, have to get fencing for vine plant trellis , and low tunnel supplies for early greens.

Also gonna start doing micro greens inside now I think.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

So I'm about to start setting up a 900sqft garden in the back yard. It's on sloping terrain (the back of the garden will be a couple of feet higher than the front, 30' away), so I'm guessing that I should run my rows sort of like terraces rather than as channels running down the hill. I don't really have the money or resources to fully terrace the area, would this be sufficient at least for this year?
I've laid down some fabric to start killing off the grass, but before we eventually till the ground I'm thinking I should find something to spread over the area to work into the soil to try to improve it, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm on a very tight budget, most of which will go towards seeds and starters. Some folks on CL are giving away chicken manure and compost in cardboard boxes, would that be good? Or is there some cheap solution at the store? Are there amendments I should avoid?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the problem with chicken manure is that it has no spongey hummusness to it. if you add it to clay soil, it will make it more clay. also make sure it's been composted before you mix it in otherwise it's just going to piss nitrogen over everything and burn it.

my old man swore by steer manure and I kinda see why. it adds hummus, it doesn't smell as bad for as long when it's laid down and it won't wreck anything. cheapest solution is, as the tread title says, cardboard. shred that poo poo up, let it get rained on for a month or two and till it in. it won't add nutrients, but it will improve structure. you won't have to water as often for as long and your soil will stay fluffy longer. like, you could pull the fabric off, put it over some other grass you wanted to kill, put a thick layer of cardboard over your garden area (which will also kill the grass) and be ready for spring.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

grow lights are fun. the wife's cucumbers are, like, ready to go in the ground already. I'm gonna have a 2 or 3 month head start on my tomatoes and millet and peppers and stuff.

noticing that seeds I collected from last year's harvest have much better germination rates and just seem generally healthier. don't know if it's acclimatization or if they're just fresher and less processed or what

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Organic Lube User posted:

So I'm about to start setting up a 900sqft garden in the back yard. It's on sloping terrain (the back of the garden will be a couple of feet higher than the front, 30' away), so I'm guessing that I should run my rows sort of like terraces rather than as channels running down the hill. I don't really have the money or resources to fully terrace the area, would this be sufficient at least for this year?
I've laid down some fabric to start killing off the grass, but before we eventually till the ground I'm thinking I should find something to spread over the area to work into the soil to try to improve it, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm on a very tight budget, most of which will go towards seeds and starters. Some folks on CL are giving away chicken manure and compost in cardboard boxes, would that be good? Or is there some cheap solution at the store? Are there amendments I should avoid?

Depends on how much rain you get through there, I grow on a fairly steep hill without terracing it, just rows. And its fine. But if the soil is just hard clay you'll get a lot of run off over it instead of being absorbed.

Likely you want to add a lot of compost, and even broadfork it (just use a garden fork because real broadforks are expensive). And if you can try to throw some early cover crop on it but it depends on your timing.

If you can throw money at it, a bunch of compost on top will solve it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the diy groverbroadfork thread would be glorious

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

grow lights are fun. the wife's cucumbers are, like, ready to go in the ground already. I'm gonna have a 2 or 3 month head start on my tomatoes and millet and peppers and stuff.

noticing that seeds I collected from last year's harvest have much better germination rates and just seem generally healthier. don't know if it's acclimatization or if they're just fresher and less processed or what

it's cause they're fresher, older seeds have worse germ rates but you can make up for it by just playing the odds

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

two of my california bay tree cuttings still have green leaves (and I think some new growth at the top) and have survived outside through what will probably be the worst of our frost. I'm cautiously optimistic that they have rooted.

now if I could just get loquat trees to grow. like, I swear I'm going to need to make a trip to, like, san jose in late summer/early fall just to gather buckets of loquats

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

two of my california bay tree cuttings still have green leaves (and I think some new growth at the top) and have survived outside through what will probably be the worst of our frost. I'm cautiously optimistic that they have rooted.

now if I could just get loquat trees to grow. like, I swear I'm going to need to make a trip to, like, san jose in late summer/early fall just to gather buckets of loquats

what growing zone u in? I'm in 9a/8b and loquats grow pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

also 8b and I'm sure they'd grow well but I can't get the fuckers to germinate, the nursery doesn't have starts/trees and I've been hesitant to order some. like, I think I just need to secure a stash of better/fresher seeds