Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The 2nd round requires a separate activation action, the release of the trigger. E;fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

binary triggers should be illegal because they're stupidly unsafe

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.
If being stupidly unsafe was grounds to make a gun illegal Taurus and Sig (iirc) would be in pretty big trouble

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1343267657378721792

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I totally forgot about that somehow

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
And there you go:

https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1343316414850068482?s=19

https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1343216336076500994?s=19

https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/1343318725714456576

There's some other RV getting checked right now, but the sure looks like he's the 5G bomber.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 27, 2020

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Whatever his motivations end up being, I’m slightly concerned that there are probably highly motivated individuals or small groups who have had it reinforced that you can cripple the emergency communications systems of a major US city and shut down an international airport by way of some explosives knowledge and a well-placed RV.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Whatever his motivations end up being, I’m slightly concerned that there are probably highly motivated individuals or small groups who have had it reinforced that you can cripple the emergency communications systems of a major US city and shut down an international airport by way of some explosives knowledge and a well-placed RV.

I'm reminded of a line that came up somewhere after one of the many school shootings, that for every mass shooting, there's at least one guy watching the news and taking notes for when he makes his move.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

I mean, that's not new information.

Depending on the location a stiff breeze can knock out power to half a million people.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

BigDave posted:

I mean, that's not new information.

Depending on the location a stiff breeze can knock out power to half a million people.
Don't worry though. Next week is infrastructure week, so it will get beefed up.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Don't worry about it too much, as I reasoned to myself a long time ago, people like that spend all day, every day, working out what to blow up - like what else have they got to do. They still don't manage to do a hell of a lot in the scheme of things. A major flood does vastly more damage.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Or in Nashville, wait long enough and a tornado will knock your building over.

Stupid loving city had 3 tornadoes in 20 years follow the same path. "Can't let that land go to waste, build on it again!"

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Or (also) in Nashville....

Don't forget the Cumberland cresting at 56 feet or whatever it was in 2011.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Something's up with the COVID-Omnibus.

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/1343344907159797760

A room's being prepped for some dumb speech at Mar-a-lago, the reckless speculation is that Donnie signs the bill in exchange for Mitch calling up his $2,000 check thing for a vote in the Senate.

But I haven't seen a loving thing in terms of negotiations, at all, in my feed all weekend. He might be negotiating in his own brain, then caving to himself or some poo poo. Or someone's finally telling him, and he's listening, that the government shuts down after Monday if he doesn't sign the thing.

Edit: pretty good confirmation here

https://twitter.com/EmGusk/status/1343358537368555521

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 28, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Or (also) in Nashville....

Don't forget the Cumberland cresting at 56 feet or whatever it was in 2011.

2010. I remember because I moved to Memphis after that. Also was working at a home depot south of downtown at the time. Back to back 70 hour weeks pushing generators and pumps from receiving to the floor.

The floating classroom is my favorite video of that flood.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1343360604975886337

Well that was dumb.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1343361393064628226

https://twitter.com/JuddPDeere45/status/1343364839801049091

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 28, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol. What a complete bitch baby.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The great negotiator at work

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Honestly from what I'm hearing from generic democrats the optics of money going overseas for anything right now are pretty bad, as much as people think that surely this time people will blame the republicans/Trump. I dunno, just my anecdotal experience.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

If he signed it, this is meaningless, right?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

stealie72 posted:

If he signed it, this is meaningless, right?

Correct.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1343367476038537218

He's going to send back a statement saying "WE DON'T NEED THIS MONEY" and Congress will promptly laugh it completely off or ignore it. I need to look up my rescission procedure stuff, but it's just an excuse for rolling over on the whole thing. Especially since most of the foreign aid includes Foreign Military Sales - paying American companies to ship their poo poo overseas (like to Israel).

I'd actually argue that he hasn't even been talking to people in congress, at all, over the weekend.

sharknado slashfic posted:

Honestly from what I'm hearing from generic democrats the optics of money going overseas for anything right now are pretty bad, as much as people think that surely this time people will blame the republicans/Trump. I dunno, just my anecdotal experience.

You're right, but the ace-in-the-hole is that a formal vote will never hit the House floor on foreign aid removal. Might not even hit the floor in the Senate and definitely won't pass. Republican Senators love foreign aid because it's mostly military spending.

Edit: From Senate.gov on rescission:

quote:

rescission - The cancellation of budget authority previously provided by Congress. The Impoundment Control Act of 1974 specifies that the president may propose to Congress that funds be rescinded. If both Houses have not approved a rescission proposal (by passing legislation) within 45 days of continuous session, any funds being withheld must be made available for obligation

In otherwords, Donnie will say "I'm returning this money, I don't need it", Congress will ignore it, then Biden spends it.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 28, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
diaperdon had a chance to do a veto without having to actually do the veto and pooped his pants

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Fallom posted:

The great negotiator at work

ART DEAL

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Art Bell was more fun to listen to.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

ded posted:

diaperdon had a chance to do a veto without having to actually do the veto and pooped his pants

I'd bet a lot of money that Donnie didn't realize that the covid-omnibus was a combined, double bill that funded the government, unemployment aid, and all sorts of good poo poo (and some bad). He's too Online and only saw the $600 memes.

Then the Saturday/Sunday morning stories came out all about how he was personally responsible for a one-week lapse in unemployment benefits and would be personally responsible for shutting down government in a loving pandemic as his final act. He also likely saw those stories, then demanded that staff would find him a way out. Someone suggested a long, dumb, pointless signing statement and the Impoundment Act of 1974 sure sounds formal, so that's that.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
So simple ol' me. What do I get as a lousy taxpayer?

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

Isn't this the plot of Die Hard 2?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Edgar posted:

$600 a person, depending on your income...same as it was before Trump stepped in.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Edgar posted:

If you make less than $75K, you get $600 and a functioning government. Maybe that goes up to $2K, but I doubt it clears the Senate.

If your employment is iffy, there's a new round of PPP funding going out, unemployment is getting a $300/week federal boost again, and the eviction moratorium is back on. Lots and lots of rental assistance and food aid is going out again.

If you have kids, the states are about to get a shitload of money to get the schools back open.

The full list is here, there's a lot of good/bad here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/22/us/politics/second-stimulus-whats-included.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s stochastic terrorism.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its not because of any extraordinary planning.

Its because ATT has been gutting their redundancies in their network to make stock dividend payments and raise capital. The last two days has made them look laughable bad.

Between that and untested Disaster Recovery plans, well, here we are.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 28, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They should take the “&T” off their buildings and letterhead till they can demonstrate technology commensurate with this century.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

They should take the “&T” off their buildings and letterhead till they can demonstrate technology commensurate with this century.
code:

OK

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The second "T" can stay, just change it to "Tapping."

:nsa:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Parler has thoughts about the Nashville bombing:
https://twitter.com/parlertakes/status/1343326650348363777?s=19

And do folks really pronounce it like "parlor"? I'd taken it as the French word for "to speak", pronounced par-lay, but the far right going with a French word does seem out of the ordinary.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 28, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

And do folks really pronounce it like "parlor"? I'd taken it as the French word for "to speak", pronounced par-lay, but the far right going with a French word does seem out of the ordinary.

One of Wilson's Illuminatus! books has an observation in it that goes something like "The Law of Five can be proven in all cases, given enough ingenuity on the part of the investigator."

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ahem..."No-durr-drat" ring a bell?

Also, what the gently caress is a domino machine in chud/Q-terminology?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Whats the law of five?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Wouldn't escape goat imply actual escape and not dying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Cugel the Clever posted:

I think A ESCAPE GOAT is going to be the name of my parachute rereg account if I ever get banned.