Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
My issue was just the antenna reacting to things near the antenna, but not so near that I imagined they’d have an effect.

For gently caress’s sake.

All good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

thehustler posted:

On the plus side I’m about to buy a near mint FT-817 (original model sadly) for £225 and that’ll be my first ever HF radio. I’m pretty excited. All the stuff is with it too.

Edit: On the down side, that's twice now I've heard a particular radio amateur call me out on-air (not by name) for being a foundation licence holder with lovely equipment and a lack of skills. Mentioned my kit very specifically so can only really be me.

This hobby is full of absolute cunts.

That radio amateur probably wonders why there is so few joining the hobby nowadays. There are some amateurs that are very... go big or go home, kiddo.
And also, :wtf: at someone calling out people on air not saying their name but says enough info that they KNOW the one being called out hears them.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

That’s the thing: he didn’t know I was listening. He forgets that while I can’t do SSB transmit the Kenwood F6/F7 is a decent SSB receiver. Caught him talking to our club chair (who is really nice and helpful) about how he was sick of the lack for progression (he has it in for foundation licence holders, yawn) and is bored of hearing about our “pathetic antennas” and being happy when we can reach a non-local repeater.

Well gently caress you, I WAS happy. I learnt a lot. And now things are going well. And you moan constantly about not being able to use computers.

Also his surname is Dick in what is a great confirmation of nominative determinism.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Really sorry you had that experience. I'm back on the air slightly (via hamstick on the fence) and am just stickin to js8call and psk, because no way am i getting out on SSB with this lol, and even if I could, yeah a lot of those fellas are loud these days about that poo poo. Rage against the dying of the light graybeards i guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

IM DOING MY PART AND BEING AN rear end in a top hat TO ALL THE NEWBIES WHY IS THIS HOBBY DYING???

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

It’s okay, I went out today up a hill and deployed my mast and all worked well apart from literally being next to the Edinburgh ATIS mast - the breakthrough was across the entire 2M band and made copying stations anywhere but the city impossible. So strange to hear it come through on FM so clearly - why does that work?

But it was a lot of fun and I know my setup will work really well once restrictions are lifted for SOTA now. Screw those other guys. Thanks for everyone’s patience!

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

thehustler posted:

That’s the thing: he didn’t know I was listening. He forgets that while I can’t do SSB transmit the Kenwood F6/F7 is a decent SSB receiver. Caught him talking to our club chair (who is really nice and helpful) about how he was sick of the lack for progression (he has it in for foundation licence holders, yawn) and is bored of hearing about our “pathetic antennas” and being happy when we can reach a non-local repeater.

Well gently caress you, I WAS happy. I learnt a lot. And now things are going well. And you moan constantly about not being able to use computers.

Also his surname is Dick in what is a great confirmation of nominative determinism.

On the plus side, rent free accommodations are always nice!

ickna
May 19, 2004

thehustler posted:

Caught him talking to our club chair (who is really nice and helpful) about how he was sick of the lack for progression (he has it in for foundation licence holders, yawn) and is bored of hearing about our “pathetic antennas” and being happy when we can reach a non-local repeater.

Sounds like a guy who hasn't had fun playing radios in a long time resents new users for the the thrills that they are getting from learning and exploring.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sup

fully realigned and inspected by R&L a year ago (he had the paperwork), not a scratch on it - that's foam and stuff from the packing box on the top - and the old codger had set it up and was very excited to spend an hour with me, masked and distanced, as he showed me all the cool poo poo it could do. $800. fuckin' steal of the week.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
That's awesome!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Jonny 290 posted:

sup

fully realigned and inspected by R&L a year ago (he had the paperwork), not a scratch on it - that's foam and stuff from the packing box on the top - and the old codger had set it up and was very excited to spend an hour with me, masked and distanced, as he showed me all the cool poo poo it could do. $800. fuckin' steal of the week.

I get the sense you're in my general area; was this the Craigslist ad out of Springs?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I get the sense you're in my general area; was this the Craigslist ad out of Springs?

(i'm in west Denver yep) the same! He listed it at 1100 a while back, relisted a couple weeks ago at 890, relisted _again_ at 920 and that was made me go "wtf, i'm gonna call his bluff at $800" and it worked.

Things sounds like a fuggin hi-fi.

https://i.imgur.com/PD8xKwL.mp4

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Jonny 290 posted:

(i'm in west Denver yep) the same! He listed it at 1100 a while back, relisted a couple weeks ago at 890, relisted _again_ at 920 and that was made me go "wtf, i'm gonna call his bluff at $800" and it worked.

That's a nice looking piece of gear. What a deal.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That 80’s Japanese car dashboard aesthetic is :discourse:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the synchronous AM detector* I didn't even know about, but it has it, and it sounds great

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1342237300021895168

* so an AM signal has two sidebands and a carrier. A receiver needs at least one sideband as well as the carrier - the latter is sort of a 'zero hertz reference point' so the radio has a baseline. Sync AM radios detect very faint carriers and regenerate a sine wave in the radio at the same frequency and phase as the carrier, so when selective fading happens and take out the station's carrier, the radio can keep demodulating the sidebands. It's not something you want on all the time, but if you are into trying to pick up faint AM or shortwave stations, it's an absolute necessity.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Some AM is carrierless so there’s more power to the side bands, aye? That’s another reason to regen it on the radio

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Coxswain Balls posted:

The Gray-Hoverman design ...

I am so, so, so very loving happy that the last VHF holdout in my tv market has asked the FCC to move to UHF.

They literally broadcast "digital" on UHF until "switchover day," June 13, 2009. I immediately lost the channel (s). Literally the only reason I still have a VHF antenna is for that station. It's 100% self inflicted: they could have kept broadcasting the "digital" signal on UHF, like they had been, but they shut off their UHF transmitters June 13, 2009 and switched their VHF broadcast to digital.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Beautiful, I always loved the look of that display

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The fully lit protruding rx/tx lights above the knobs are just

:jackbud:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Progressive JPEG posted:

The fully lit protruding rx/tx lights above the knobs are just

:jackbud:

they're also buttons :2bong:

mute buttons and tx-from-this-vfo selectors, specifically.

im gonna hop on twitch and do a session this weekend where we prod at it with good lighting and no shakycam. ill share it here

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Big Mackson posted:

That radio amateur probably wonders why there is so few joining the hobby nowadays. There are some amateurs that are very... go big or go home, kiddo.
And also, :wtf: at someone calling out people on air not saying their name but says enough info that they KNOW the one being called out hears them.

Yep. There is a whole lot of looking down to people who don't have a several hundred or thousand euro transceiver.
gently caress them. I fixed my own lovely Wireless Set 19 and heard my signal more than a thousand km away on Moscow's webSDR.

WS19s are legendarily lovely but it worked, and that's the most important bit. I replaced it with a GRC-9 which is so much better. Don't have an antenna at the moment, sadly.
Both of those radio's i got for free, which was nice cause for a long time i couldn't afford to spend much money on radio equipment.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

LimaBiker posted:

Yep. There is a whole lot of looking down to people who don't have a several hundred or thousand euro transceiver.

The worst part about this is the people who were the old dudes in this hobby when these idiots were new had very often built all of their own poo poo. Maybe we're finally getting back to that.

These idiots will all be dead soon enough.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Going crazy trying to find my dad's Radio Shack DX-400 since I found the manual for it while going through his radio stuff. It should be able to receive SSB signals and it's more portable than the S-125 I posted earlier. I've got the bug now after playing with some SDRs on Christmas since we're in lockdown, so I want something I can take out to the middle of nowhere.

I did find a Holiday 2318, but it's beat to hell and doesn't have any external antenna connections that I can find, plus no SSB capability that I can see.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

LimaBiker posted:

gently caress them. I fixed my own lovely Wireless Set 19 and heard my signal more than a thousand km away on Moscow's webSDR.

WS19s are legendarily lovely but it worked, and that's the most important bit. I replaced it with a GRC-9 which is so much better. Don't have an antenna at the moment, sadly.
Both of those radio's i got for free, which was nice cause for a long time i couldn't afford to spend much money on radio equipment.

I get that nerds will gatekeep literally anything, but this attitude is insane given the amount of technological primitivism in the hobby. You're giving up all of the niceties of modern communications networks to raw dog the ether and there's still somebody there telling you there's only one right way to do that.

Not saying Jonny's new rig isn't sweet as hell. Just that there's room in the hobby for home-built QRP rigs and antique boat anchors too, and people who can't appreciate all these cool designs (and their operators) are a plague.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I have been looking at synchronizing my pc clock with my thunderbolt gpsdo for wsjt-x(z) use. The gpsdo is ok for wsjt, but now i want X-TREME ACCURACY. That made me learn about gps antenna placement, satellite coverage, temperature drift, phase noise and more. Now i am looking for the "newest" firmware for my 20ish year old thunderbolt.

tldr; i want hydrogen maser accuracy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Big Mackson posted:

tldr; i want hydrogen maser accuracy.

There used to be some Oscilloquartz 3100s changing hands a while back if you could settle for cesium.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Motronic posted:

There used to be some Oscilloquartz 3100s changing hands a while back if you could settle for cesium.

i am gonna get my QO-100 set-up done and see how stable thunderbolts 10mhz are after tuning and updating. I dont want to hear any more warbly german voices.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Stack Machine posted:

I get that nerds will gatekeep literally anything, but this attitude is insane given the amount of technological primitivism in the hobby. You're giving up all of the niceties of modern communications networks to raw dog the ether and there's still somebody there telling you there's only one right way to do that.

Not saying Jonny's new rig isn't sweet as hell. Just that there's room in the hobby for home-built QRP rigs and antique boat anchors too, and people who can't appreciate all these cool designs (and their operators) are a plague.

Anytime this comes up in a hobby, it's always people who's only value is that they were there first, or were able to sneak past the gate when it was closed tighter, and need that in order to feel special.

Magic is just as bad, just look up the hate Brian Brushwood gets for teaching people tricks on YouTube.

I picked up an N9TAX slim jim a while back to replace my signal stick when I'm at a fixed location and it's made some of the repeater work nicer on my HT, but hitting the local APRS Digipeater/iGate is still intermittent. Wish I could get it up higher, or use a more permanent setup, but I don't have access to the roof and we live middle bitch in a triple-decker. First time in my life I've actually wanted to own a home vs. rent.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Can thunderbolt gpsdo actually be updated?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
DIY stuff is stronger than ever due to the incredible availability of poo poo like Si5351 oscillators. Which is good, because if you want a crystal cut in 2020, you're waiting 3 months and paying fifty dollars for it.

--
Speakin of cheap Chinese stuff thrashing the status quo, my MLA-30 loop kit is out for delivery. Gonna hook a fifty dollar loop to a thousand dollar radio and see how she does.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Jonny 290 posted:

DIY stuff is stronger than ever due to the incredible availability of poo poo like Si5351 oscillators. Which is good, because if you want a crystal cut in 2020, you're waiting 3 months and paying fifty dollars for it.

--
Speakin of cheap Chinese stuff thrashing the status quo, my MLA-30 loop kit is out for delivery. Gonna hook a fifty dollar loop to a thousand dollar radio and see how she does.

I'd be particularly interested in hearing how it receives on the 20 and 40 meter ham bands because I've got an SDRPlay Duo that needs an indoor friendly antenna.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
For sure. i'll string it up and see how she does (though i live in a 100% metal building so it's going on a stick in the yard)

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Are there any west-european hams here? I'd like to try to make some contacts with people i already somewhat know, or at least people who i can message with. I have a bit of microphone anxiety...
Currently my range is somewhat limited. I can reach the UK and Germany on 80m in the evening (if i string up my antenna again).

I also wanna improve my morse. If anyone wants to practice with me - i can send decently at 12-15wpm, but my receiving is kinda meh at around 10wpm. People on the bands are not always interested in more than a quick standard qso and that makes learning to receive properly a bit hard. Practicing off the air is fine too :) if you live too far away.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 29, 2020

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
Today someone in china saw my ft8 signal. 5000-6000 km with random long wire setup! Then again you can connect your radio to a wirefence and have worldwide coverage with ft8.

Here is my TB gpsdo

Its ok except for those random spurs. Weirdly pps not that affected.

edit: checking local height maps i see that latitude and longitude is very accurate but it missed height with over 20 meters. I am disappointed in u thunderbolt gpsdo that i got for free. :/
edit: earth isnt that big, must have been an data error.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 31, 2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2021 might be the year i become a time nerd. i got this ic-9700 that can eat 10mhz reference clock

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I got a LeoNTP a while back to fulfill my time nerd needs. It's expensive for what it is but it has suited regardless

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

What's involved with becoming a time nerd, it sounds cool.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bout a hundo for a stratum 0 (highest tier) ntp server on your home LAN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Network-Ti...EIAAOSwjGFd-JI5

you can get nerdier with rubidium clocks sold as russian milsurp or w/e but this would be sufficient for me imo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

What's the point? I don't understand what that gets you

Don't get me wrong, if it's just because running your own super accurate time server is sweet, I'm on board. But I am also curious why someone would bother hooking up that reference clock to the 9700

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

To me it's the same thing as a lot of radio stuff, it's super cool to be able to pull stuff like that out of thin air.

I'm just about ready to cave and get my own SDR to experiment with. What's a good, cheap kit to start with that I can get in Canada? I see a bunch of NooElec sets on Amazon but I'm not that well educated on what all the available options are. Not interested in transmitting right now, just receiving and doing more trash antenna construction.