Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I’ve been rewatching a lot of first season and I gotta say, that first arc when they fight titans is so much more bleak than I even remembered.

Also erens death was such a Ned Stark moment that I always felt his revival was a bit anticlimatic. Knowing how the show progresses now, I take everything back because holy cow was it amazing set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've watched the new episodes back-to-back-to-back and I've warmed up to hard 180 narrative POV transition. Is this exactly how it plays out in the manga too?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Yes, though the anime threw in a few shots and cut out quite a few scenes.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

teagone posted:

I've watched the new episodes back-to-back-to-back and I've warmed up to hard 180 narrative POV transition. Is this exactly how it plays out in the manga too?
Last two pages of Chapter 90

First two pages of Chapter 91

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The dramatic turn at the start of season 4 made sense to me because I honestly feel like the conclusion of season 3 was a great ending for the story up to that point. Eren had returned to his hometown, defeated the monsters responsible for destroying it (in an epic showdown involving basically every character), discovered the truth about his father and escaped the walls to reach the sea. The followup almost feels more like a (very welcome) sequel than a continuation of the same narrative.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It's very a good way to transition for a "we got what we wanted and it didnt make us feel better" end for an arc.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Important question raised by this episode: how does The Female Titan work? I assumed it was just a visual description the Scouts gave it and it just looks like the user, but the Marleyans call it that too. Is it a historically female post? Can men not inherit it? Or would they become a woman when they transform. Someone explain

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Important question raised by this episode: how does The Female Titan work? I assumed it was just a visual description the Scouts gave it and it just looks like the user, but the Marleyans call it that too. Is it a historically female post? Can men not inherit it? Or would they become a woman when they transform. Someone explain

It is probably whoever takes it in turns into a female Titan seeing as we've seen women turn into the regular no-gender Titans before. Like Ymir's Jaw Titan and Piek, who is the Cart Titan.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think you can make a case with face titan and horse cart titan that the titan forms have a mostly similar appearance, but attack titan seems to have been an exception. Eren and Kruger share nearly the same body, but grisha's had more in common with beast titan and I'm not sure why.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The trend continues
https://files.catbox.moe/3js1fm.webm

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Don't miss the post-credits scene in today's ep

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The statue: Uh, that's not how you kill a titan

The end: aaawwwwww here it goes

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

The statue: Uh, that's not how you kill a titan

The end: aaawwwwww here it goes

Yeah, I had a similar thought regarding the statue. Artistic license, I guess.

Other thoughts:
- No surprise that the Tyburs sold out the Eldians, but until 15 minute ago I hadn't considered it as indicative of the political situation before the war. Could they see that Eldia was crumbling and they wanted to secure the best position they could? Did they have a grudge against the royal family? How early did they back Marleyan forces?
- Just how much power do the Tyburs wield, and how much knowledge does the public and general military have of this?
- Poor Falco. We knew it was coming, but he's about to be blindsided.
- Trying to recruit Reiner to whatever their plan is...not a terrible idea on paper, but likely to blow up in their faces. They know Reiner is unstable and might think he's a good target for that reason, but they don't have a good sense of where his loyalty lies and it's been a number of years since any of them have talked to him.

ETA: Are we supposed to know who Colt and Falco's parents were from the scenes with Grisha and the restorationists? I'm trying to do the math in my head and running into problems. Falco is younger than Eren, so presumably their parents would have been snagged at a later date.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 28, 2020

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Maera Sior posted:

ETA: Are we supposed to know who Colt and Falco's parents were from the scenes with Grisha and the restorationists? I'm trying to do the math in my head and running into problems. Falco is younger than Eren, so presumably their parents would have been snagged at a later date.

It's not their parents but there's a character in Grisha's memories who has the same last name as Colt and Falco. I believe it's the guy that gets Grisha to join the restorationists

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is the plan to recruit Reiner? Or is it just to get him alone so Eren can chomp him?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

Other thoughts:
- No surprise that the Tyburs sold out the Eldians, but until 15 minute ago I hadn't considered it as indicative of the political situation before the war. Could they see that Eldia was crumbling and they wanted to secure the best position they could? Did they have a grudge against the royal family? How early did they back Marleyan forces?
- Just how much power do the Tyburs wield, and how much knowledge does the public and general military have of this?
- Poor Falco. We knew it was coming, but he's about to be blindsided.
- Trying to recruit Reiner to whatever their plan is...not a terrible idea on paper, but likely to blow up in their faces. They know Reiner is unstable and might think he's a good target for that reason, but they don't have a good sense of where his loyalty lies and it's been a number of years since any of them have talked to him.

Colt and Falco's parents weren't restorationists. It was an uncle of his who was the "Grice" in Grisha's flashbacks. Colt and Falco's parents actually showed up to greet them coming back from the train. Basically, they were completely uninvolved, but they were at risk of being considered guilty by association, so Colt and Falco had to work their asses off to "prove" their loyalty to Marley.

And yeah. Poor Falco. He's a good kid. He doesn't deserve whatever's coming.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Eustace posted:

It's not their parents but there's a character in Grisha's memories who has the same last name as Colt and Falco. I believe it's the guy that gets Grisha to join the restorationists

I went back and checked. It was their uncle who was caught, and he was the one who recruited Grisha (and was kicked off the wall as bait).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I’m so motherfuckin psyched. I’m super duper impressed they’ve maintained the pace over the last few eps. Which is to say not coward out. I got mega chills at the post credits.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Current guess as to the War Hammer Titan: The really tall guard who opened the door. He's actually in the Tybur family but is pretending he's a regular guard. It would fit how the show likes to hide important people in plain sight. (I guess it could be the maid too, if I'm basing it on that criteria.) Bonus for him appearing at the end of the line "The War Hammer Titan is among us."

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I can't believe Reiner doesn't have a crippling fear of going underground after the events on Paradis.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Maera Sior posted:

Eh I dunno, Isayama tends to treat details in his story very deliberately. I would guess the statue being wrong has a deeper meaning.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

Eh I dunno, Isayama tends to treat details in his story very deliberately. I would guess the statue being wrong has a deeper meaning.

I was going with "The act looks a lot more impressive when you can see the soldier's spear and the rage on the titan's face" because it's a piece of propaganda, but it could be more than that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Titans are now Marley's primary weapon of war, they wouldn't want to advertise their actual weakpoint.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Titans are now Marley's primary weapon of war, they wouldn't want to advertise their actual weakpoint.

True, we don't actually know how wide-spread that knowledge is. I was assuming that some countries have figured it out, but maybe there's a lot of bad information as well.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Thank God, they added the scene of Pieck crawling on the ground back in.
Also, what a loving ending.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
I wonder whats up with the Tybur family head in conversation with the Marley general dude saying that he got unlucky and just happened to be in charge when the time ran out. What does that mean? Why is time running out, and what happens when it does? The conversation was also interesting in how it hammers more of the "no one is in control, events just seem to spiral" theme.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I took that conversation to be about how Titans are being eclipsed by other forms of weaponry. It's the end for titans.

I have no idea where this is going. Who did Eren contact? What's he gonna say to Reiner? What is this big thing Willy (lol) is gonna do? The War hammer titan must be incredible, no? We saw Eren's grandfather!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Surprisingly Dope posted:

I wonder whats up with the Tybur family head in conversation with the Marley general dude saying that he got unlucky and just happened to be in charge when the time ran out. What does that mean? Why is time running out, and what happens when it does? The conversation was also interesting in how it hammers more of the "no one is in control, events just seem to spiral" theme.

Piece together the military's concern that the era of titan domination in warfare is ending with Zeke's "private" conversation with the other Warriors, and his own mention of the Tyburs.

Add in Udo mentioning how Eldians have it even worse outside Marley.

Basically the strategic usefulness of Eldians as weapons has so far outweighed the animosity the world feels towards them following the fall of Eldia, but as technology starts reaching the point of surpassing the power of the Titans it also raises questions about the future of Eldians both within Marley and abroad.

Willy Tybur, as the current head of the Tybur family (who turn out to have been Marley's "hands-off" shadow government this entire time), finds himself at the wheel as these events unfold and feels compelled to act while he can yet steer them in a direction of his choosing, and although he's decisive and charismatic at a glance the huge responsibility clearly weights on him.

So far, it appears whatever plan he's cooking up is sympathetic towards the plight of the Eldians, and having identified someone competent and like-minded in Magath he's gone out of his way to enlist him for it.

--

As an aside, absolutely love how the formal party establishes that privilege far outweighs racism. Other than the Asian lady, all of these powerful people looked ready to pounce on the poor kid for a simple mistake, but when Willy Tybur arrives they immediately start scrambling over each other to get the latter's attention, and with genuine affection too. Hell, they repeat as a mantra how Tybur's *the* cool Eldian. Everyone else? Devil-blooded. But the Tyburs, the one Eldian family with power and connections? "Kin of our saviors!"

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Who did Eren contact?

Judging by him getting sent a baseball glove back, I'd wager at least one of those letters went to Zeke. They set up that he was potentially planning something last episode after all.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 28, 2020

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
This is the first time in anime history I figured out who long hair dude was before the reveal. They practically shoved it in my face when they had him sit next to Mr. Jaegar.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Not sure how to react to the fact that all the world is banded together of all races to discriminate against the Eldians. Like world wide internment camps.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 29, 2020

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Its a little understandable since Eldians exclusively can turn into giant super-powered monsters and spent most of history using those powers to rule and subjugate the other races.

"The enemy of the titans is my friend" is probably their version of that phrase.

I'm surprised we haven't heard of open genocide of Eldians yet. Seems like every nation sticks them in ghettos and uses them as slaves. My guess would be that since when a titan is killed some random Eldian gets the powers, the nation's want to keep their numbers up to hopefully be able to get it and use it in their military like the Marlyans.

With technology surpassing titans, it's probably going to be real soon that Eldians are seen as more trouble than they're worth. That's probably the realization Willy has had and is trying to avoid.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 29, 2020

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Missed jokes opportunity of Reiner mistaking Eren for Jean

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

Its a little understandable since Eldians exclusively can turn into giant super-powered monsters and spent most of history using those powers to rule and subjugate the other races.

No, it's really not. The rulers of Eldia did that to their own people; the general populace, especially 100 years out, is entirely blameless.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Maera Sior posted:

No, it's really not. The rulers of Eldia did that to their own people; the general populace, especially 100 years out, is entirely blameless.
If everyone in Titan-Universe acted as rationally as you think they should, it wouldn't be believable that the characters are people. Especially in a pre-WWI setting where education and communication are limited.

Look at the real world and how far back racial/religious/geographic grudges go.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I like how Eldia, an absolute monarchy ruled by a family of Eldian nobles which oppressed its neighbors by using innocent people turned into horrifying monsters, got defeated and replaced by Marley, a military dictatorship ruled by a family of Eldian nobles which oppresses its neighbors by using innocent people turned into horrifying monsters.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

If everyone in Titan-Universe acted as rationally as you think they should, it wouldn't be believable that the characters are people. Especially in a pre-WWI setting where education and communication are limited.

Look at the real world and how far back racial/religious/geographic grudges go.

I see the problem. You used "understandable" as "I get why in-universe this would be happening" and I read it as "I accept that this is reasonable within the show." Yes, it's understandable from a narrative viewpoint and lines up with real-world history, but it's not rational, and that's the point.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Maera Sior posted:

I see the problem. You used "understandable" as "I get why in-universe this would be happening" and I read it as "I accept that this is reasonable within the show." Yes, it's understandable from a narrative viewpoint and lines up with real-world history, but it's not rational, and that's the point.

Yes, I in no way am saying I agree with them, which I don't. People should not be held accountable for what their parents, or ancestors, or vaguely related group of people did. However, I find in the real world there are a LOT of people that will find a reason to be prejudiced, which is why I understand why the Titan-universe is like it is.

I am sympathetic to the Eldians, which I think (and hope) is what the manga/anime is trying to show. I have a nagging feeling that Willy's plan is going to be something along the lines of "We just have to get back to the old ways of exterminating non-Eldians because we really ARE devils!" and if that happens I'm going to be extremely pissed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

Missed jokes opportunity of Reiner mistaking Eren for Jean

Why would Reiner think Eren was a horse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

I am sympathetic to the Eldians, which I think (and hope) is what the manga/anime is trying to show. I have a nagging feeling that Willy's plan is going to be something along the lines of "We just have to get back to the old ways of exterminating non-Eldians because we really ARE devils!" and if that happens I'm going to be extremely pissed.
I think it's more likely to be the opposite - Wilbur will announce that they'll destroy Paradis and maybe even get rid of their own Titans/brutalize their Eldian population to show that they've renounced their expansionist ways and want peace with other nations.