Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I forgot I recorded this a couple weeks ago.

https://imgur.com/MSTndZL.mp4

Fun Fact: Phoenotopia: Awakening has an achievement for petting cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Beat Future Connected. Now I can move onto playing Cross: Code. I've been excited for that for a while.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Does Slay the Spire get more interesting as you keep playing it? I bought it on a few friend's recommendations but after doing a couple runs I'm not finding the gameplay to be particularly enjoyable. The aggressively bland art doesn't help either.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Does Slay the Spire get more interesting as you keep playing it? I bought it on a few friend's recommendations but after doing a couple runs I'm not finding the gameplay to be particularly enjoyable. The aggressively bland art doesn't help either.
Depends on what part of you aren't liking. Its designed to ease you in pretty gently, first character is a pretty basic attack/defense guy and they hold off even some of his more complicated cards until you level up. The other characters have more going on mechanically and their card sets go deeper and weirder. Plus being a roguelike, its a mastery game and a big part of it is just learning how to evaluate the choices they give you, arguably it gets better the more you learn it because you're better equipped to make decisions. Which pays off as you win with each character and get into progressively more difficult ascensions

So the answer if it gets more interesting is, maybe, depends on what you find interesting.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
The Mercenaries Saga game is kinda fun but feels really clunky and slow.

Do the new Phoenix games control any better?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I finally did the stick replacement on my left Joycon, and once I fully satisfied myself that I'd done it correctly....

....the right one immediately started drifting :bang:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

No, it basically stays the same. If you're still playing with the first character then you eventually unlock more interesting ones and some more interesting cards to play with, but fundamentally the game doesn't change much. Nor does the rear end ugly art and designs for everything.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Whew! The sixth star in Bianco Hills really made my hands sweaty! These no FLUDD levels don't gently caress around.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

mdemone posted:

I finally did the stick replacement on my left Joycon, and once I fully satisfied myself that I'd done it correctly....

....the right one immediately started drifting :bang:

Same. And when I replaced the right one I snapped the battery connector. Still waiting for a new one to arrive.

Thankfully I bought a replacement set beforehand, so I'm at least not out my Switch.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Ok, I played Slay the Spire a few more times and it sucks. It's like playing a really ugly board game by yourself. Really regret getting it on Switch instead of Steam, where I could get a refund.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ok, I played Slay the Spire a few more times and it sucks. It's like playing a really ugly board game by yourself. Really regret getting it on Switch instead of Steam, where I could get a refund.

i really hated the ironclad and felt the other two classes were significantly more fun, that said it's always going to feel like a boardgame so if that's the biggest problem you've got switching to a fun class won't help

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Mega64 posted:

I forgot I recorded this a couple weeks ago.

https://imgur.com/MSTndZL.mp4

Fun Fact: Phoenotopia: Awakening has an achievement for petting cats.

Is this game good?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
How is Minecraft Dungeons on the Switch?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

CharlestheHammer posted:

BK was probably well in development when M64 came out so that argument falls flat

Games back in the 1990s weren't developed like games today.

It wasn't uncommon for entire games to be made by around a dozen people and be released in a year.

Diddy Kong Racing for example was developed in a year and I read somewhere that it was done for less than a million dollars.

Goldeneye was mocked due to it taking a whopping two and a half years of development time to release.

Your run of the mill "indie darling of the month" would easily be a full retail release back in 1998, with some even being full "AAA" productions.

Mega64 posted:

Bring back Conker's Bad Fur Day, and not the censored Xbox version for kiddies, but the adult version meant for mature Nintendo gamers.

I remember a lot of Xbox fans confused why so many people were happy that they ported the Nintendo 64 version on Rare Replay instead of the Xbox one.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

blackguy32 posted:

How is Minecraft Dungeons on the Switch?

It's alright. Not as good as Diablo 3.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://twitter.com/DrAraxxor/status/1343072620770598912

Sunshine is a really janky game with a surprising amount of unpolish, and I can see why it’s so polarizing. I don’t blame people for bouncing off. That being said I still love it all the same.

The porting job on the other hand had some serious issues. Delfino Plaza was really prone to hitching especially during the Shadow Mario chases where that turned into outright slowdown. Also the cutscenes were really muddy and they just cropped and zoomed in to accomplish “widescreen” for those.

Oh well, onto Galaxy!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Bring back Conker's Bad Fur Day, and not the censored Xbox version for kiddies, but the adult version meant for mature Nintendo gamers.

Didn't they also completely change the multiplayer?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Len posted:

i really hated the ironclad and felt the other two classes were significantly more fun, that said it's always going to feel like a boardgame so if that's the biggest problem you've got switching to a fun class won't help

That entire genre may be a casualty of the pandemic for me. I don't see the point in playing a game that feels like a boardgame when I've got roommates who I already play boardgames with. There's something fundamentally silly about hiding my room simulating something I could be doing if I took a few steps.

I was hoping based on recommendations that Slay The Spire would be a game like Hades/Dead Cells-- good for people who aren't normally fans of the genre. It's absolutely not.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I could jettison my N64 if not for Conker and Perfect Dark

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

homeless snail posted:

So the answer if [Slay the Spire] gets more interesting is, maybe, depends on what you find interesting.

To be fair, my first encounter with deckbuilders was Hand of Fate 2, where every card is unique, an entire encounter, and serves a specific purpose with a specific set of choices and rewards. So StS came as kind of a shock.

I don't know. The game should have been great fun, but for some reason it never grabbed me.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

It wasn't uncommon for entire games to be made by around a dozen people and be released in a year.

Diddy Kong Racing for example was developed in a year and I read somewhere that it was done for less than a million dollars.

Goldeneye was mocked due to it taking a whopping two and a half years of development time to release.

Your run of the mill "indie darling of the month" would easily be a full retail release back in 1998, with some even being full "AAA" productions.

I remember a lot of Xbox fans confused why so many people were happy that they ported the Nintendo 64 version on Rare Replay instead of the Xbox one.

more than raytracing or 120 fps or hyper hd photorealism, i wish next gen consoles would just magically make development cheaper and easier

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Looper posted:

more than raytracing or 120 fps or hyper hd photorealism, i wish next gen consoles would just magically make development cheaper and easier

The only way for that to work would be for gamers to accept lower quality games as the norm in the AAA market which absolutely will not happen.

Plus there would be a poo poo ton of knock on effects.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
Asked this is the chat thread, asking here too:

Starting to get tendonitis, looking for some gamer gloves. Lotta reviews I've seen complain about seams ripping early. Is there a brand that's better?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Been following the excellent advice of the goons. Picked up Hades and Donut County (for super cheap). I don’t think I need any big games once I get Hades going, but any other eshop games that are cool, but too short for full price? Because I am very in love with Donut Country. Like playing Katamari for the first time.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Conversely, Slay the Spire grabbed me because I like deckbuilders but didn't really care for roguelikes/lites but now I'm very into the genre (or at least adjacent to it) and have picked up Hades, The Expedition, and One Step From Eden. Though I still love a good StS session.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

Conversely, Slay the Spire grabbed me because I like deckbuilders but didn't really care for roguelikes/lites but now I'm very into the genre (or at least adjacent to it) and have picked up Hades, The Expedition, and One Step From Eden. Though I still love a good StS session.

If you have a PC that is even remotely game-capable get Monster Train.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was really expecting a lot more retro games from the big companies after the success of Mega Man 9. It seems like a no-brainer - just dedicate a team of like 12 people to continuing old NES and SNES franchises, and rake in the money. Even if some games tank, the development costs are a drop in the bucket compared to modern games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inferior Third Season posted:

I was really expecting a lot more retro games from the big companies after the success of Mega Man 9. It seems like a no-brainer - just dedicate a team of like 12 people to continuing old NES and SNES franchises, and rake in the money. Even if some games tank, the development costs are a drop in the bucket compared to modern games.

The development costs are cheaper but they still tend to require a dedicated team to make. For a lot of big companies there are things a dedicated team could do which would probably be more profitable than an intentional retro game. It's worth noting that you just can't just go "make an NES game, done." Even most retro-style games these days are designed around modern systems just with a retro aesthetic.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1343010753742163971?s=21
I recommend this thing at this price. It really does work.

I've been using their gaming mCable on my switch for years after it was on LTT and I love it. Been tempted to get the mclassic now that we're on 4k tvs.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Klisejo posted:

I've been using their gaming mCable on my switch for years after it was on LTT and I love it. Been tempted to get the mclassic now that we're on 4k tvs.

The mClassic only scales 4K for 30hz so it won’t scale for game consoles. Wait for an mClassic 2.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There were a number of retro revivals around the time of Mega Man 9's release, but a good number have been forgotten either due to quality or just not getting preserved. Konami had a whole line of them that went down the tubes along with the Wii Shop Channel.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Horace was suggested earlier in the thread so I grabbed it. Some parts are adorable. Some parts are just annoying, including where I am now and possibly going to stop on it. Got to chapter 11? and aimlessly wandering around the mansion. I'm a fan of Metroidvanias, but don't really like the combination of that with constant insta-death due to the joys of spikes/flames/electricity/....

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Motto posted:

There were a number of retro revivals around the time of Mega Man 9's release, but a good number have been forgotten either due to quality or just not getting preserved. Konami had a whole line of them that went down the tubes along with the Wii Shop Channel.

It’s lame the Castlevania and Contra ones weren’t on the respective collections.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I've been playing final fantasy 7 a lot and its great has anyone ever played this. anyone played final fantasy 7.

I just got Cid and my poo poo got took, how far am I through the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I've been playing final fantasy 7 a lot and its great has anyone ever played this. anyone played final fantasy 7.

I just got Cid and my poo poo got took, how far am I through the game.

Maybe 1/3rd?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

ah man what the hell

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah FF7 isn't the greatest JRPG ever but it is very really good. I loved my first time through it last year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

ah man what the hell

To put it more clearly you are still on Disc 1 of 3. (Though Disc 3 is basically just the endgame + sidequests.)

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

To put it more clearly you are still on Disc 1 of 3. (Though Disc 3 is basically just the endgame + sidequests.)

Yeah, Disk 1 is more then half the game. He's not quite at what I'd call the mid-point of FF7, but he's probably closer then 1/3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Ring Fit Adventure is fun as hell, it’s such a cool way to do a fitness game. I consider myself to have above average physical fitness and was decently challenged by the first few levels, no wonder this thing was impossible to find at the start of the lockdowns. It’s a great way to get some exercise without going outside.