Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I can’t tell if I’m surprised or not that DC managed to poo poo the bed on Wonder Woman 2. On the one hand, the first one was their first real success in terms of making a watchable movie. On the other hand... it’s DC.

I didn’t like a lot of Wonder Woman but it was decent enough I was thinking of catching the sequel but with how the reception is I’m not sure I’m going to bother now.

If you thought the first one was okay you'll probably think the same about this one. It's the definition of "fine."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Serious question, what does DC even have on their future slate besides this, The Batman, and Shazam 2? I’m assuming an Aquaman 2 is also probably likely, along with whatever movie Harley Quinn will inevitably show up in.

They still claiming they're making a Flash movie, aren't they?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vince MechMahon posted:

If you thought the first one was okay you'll probably think the same about this one. It's the definition of "fine."

I’ve heard the pacing is even worse than the original, which is what’s really giving me pause. That movie dragged at the beginning so badly.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I’ve heard the pacing is even worse than the original, which is what’s really giving me pause. That movie dragged at the beginning so badly.

It's long but if you're watching it at home, who cares. Pause, take a leak, have a beer, keep watching.
Anyway most people complaining about pacing are saying it's too long between action scenes, but those are the least interesting parts of the movie anyway.
Max Lord and Barbara Minerva: Most interesting
Wonder Woman herself: Least interesting.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's a solid 45 minutes before Steve even shows up to get the plot moving and then another solid 20 minutes of Steve being amazed at the 80s and Barbara isn't in the movie enough to be an interesting character, once Steve shows up she essentially disappears for the majority of the rest of the film

site fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 27, 2020

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

Hard disagree. I loved the first one and this one was just bad. There are a few enjoyable things in the mess though. Check it out if you can do so for free, but don’t expect much.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I honestly thought WW84 was better than the first. The first had an absolute crap third act with a CGI boss fight completely shoehorned in, with contradicted any message the movie was trying to say.
Buuuut I will say Wonder Woman didn't even really need to be in WW84 at all. The movie could have been its own standalone thing not connected to any comic book at all, and just had it be a renamed Max Lord and Barbara Minerva redemptive arc. There are things that don't make sense, like how could Wonder Woman still be a secret in the world after all this time, considering she does crime fighting in her, let's say, eye catching outfit. But whatever, that's comics for ya. Even given all that paying the $30 to rent was completely reasonable.
Much nicer to sit on my couch than going to a movie theater, ever pre-covid. Hopefully this "home release" stuff keeps going.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 27, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I can’t tell if I’m surprised or not that DC managed to poo poo the bed on Wonder Woman 2. On the one hand, the first one was their first real success in terms of making a watchable movie. On the other hand... it’s DC.

I didn’t like a lot of Wonder Woman but it was decent enough I was thinking of catching the sequel but with how the reception is I’m not sure I’m going to bother now.

DC doesn't have an organized film department like Marvel does. DC Films exist but it's like 2 people.

It's all WB and the individual directors.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Black Adam exists more than it has in the past as they've actually cast other people in parts and not just said they want to get the Rock.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

DC doesn't have an organized film department like Marvel does. DC Films exist but it's like 2 people.

It's all WB and the individual directors.

I just meant that in the sense of how their general slate of films has come out. The quality has been overall not great.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked Wonder Woman but WW1984 is just plain bad.

I thought BoP had a pretty bad story, but the action scenes are top notch. Much rather rewatch that than WW1984.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I can't believe after all the complaints the first movie got about the CGI Ares fight they managed to make a worse CGI fight with Cheetah.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I still plan to watch it. I still have to watch Birds of Prey for my "marathon". But like, rewatching all the DCEU movies the last couple of weeks its not like my expectations for WW84 were especially high anyway. If there's some stuff I enjoy but part of a largely flawed/mess of a film then that's kinda the DCEU in a nutshell.

Birds of Prey is really fun as long as you can make the disconnect between the character called Casandra Caine in the movie, and the actual Cassandra Caine from the comics because holy poo poo that is not batgirl

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And also that it’s just a Harley Quinn movie.

I just meant that in the sense of how their general slate of films has come out. The quality has been overall not great.

The lack of unified voice makes that even more impressive, it’s like 6 individual directors (but mostly Zack Snyder) making bad movies.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

The lack of unified voice makes that even more impressive, it’s like 6 individual directors (but mostly Zack Snyder) making bad movies.

You’d think they’d manage to accidentally make some good ones in a “infinite monkeys on infinite typewriters” type thing but it’s been pretty dire. WW and Birds of Prey managed to hit the dizzying heights of “mostly ok”. I hear Shazam is good but I haven’t seen it yet and I’m not in a rush to see it anytime soon because *gestures at all the other DC movies*.

I think the Suicide Squad sequel is the only one that’s really gotten me interested at all and that’s mostly because of Gunn.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shazam is good you should see it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/michaelpielocik/status/1343247498463354882?s=19

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I rewatched Shazam the other day and its maybe my favorite of the DCEU films and a backdoor Christmas movie.

That being said I'm not sure I loved it or anything. Which again speaks to how my expectations for WW84 are pretty chill.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Shazam is a much better movie tho

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Shazam is a legit great superhero movie.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've been thinking about it a bit more, trying to decipher the, like...intent behind this film, particularly because the first WW film -- for all its issues -- was so very coherent and decipherable.

And I think the throughline theme in the Wonder Woman franchise so far is as such:

Things suck. Things suck a lot. Mankind makes war. Mankind is greedy and jealous and xenophobic. You will lose the things that you love. And there is no magical solution to these problems. No great powerful thing is forcing people to be this way, and there's no great powerful thing that can force these things away.

But. Buuut.

This is also the part where you look bittersweetly up at the sky and sigh a bittersweet sigh of bittersweetness, because there are still good things around. There are still nice people and beautiful things that gets everyone through their days. That's the truth, which is beautiful in its own bittersweet way, and you simply have to make do with that. Everything else -- the wars, the greed, the intolerance -- is an impactful, but a lie nonetheless.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Wasn't the first Wonder Woman literally about how an evil god came to earth and orchestrated the world war

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
During the finale of WW1984 I couldn't help but think that they wanted a more subdued climax so they went with a giant blue sky beam that was kept to one room.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SlimGoodbody posted:

Wasn't the first Wonder Woman literally about how an evil god came to earth and orchestrated the world war
Nope. He was a nerdy dweeb with a limp who just made centrist-rear end contributions while laughing as Men did all the war and death themselves.

I.e.
:agesilaus:"The gun placements are too precarious for our men to just run across the battlefield.

:pseudo: Yes very. Let's have them dig trenches for safety and lob hideously reactive gas, and THEN have them storm the machine guns!

:dukedoge: k but can we also make sure an unending stream of artillery bombards the very ground they walk on, in case of enemies

:pseudo: YES BRILLIANT!

:agesilaus: heh

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

FilthyImp posted:

Nope. He was a nerdy dweeb with a limp who just made centrist-rear end contributions while laughing as Men did all the war and death themselves.

Except not really because the film has to make it meaningful and important that he had to be killed at the end, thus ending the war because reasons

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Diana naively believed that was the case but eventually learns that its not Ares making people war, he just encourages and manipulates them a little and then they do it themselves.

But then Ares and Diana fight anyway and war happens to end when she kills him. By coincidence. Which was awkward.

Knight Boat
Mar 26, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Diana naively believed that was the case but eventually learns that its not Ares making people war, he just encourages and manipulates them a little and then they do it themselves.

But then Ares and Diana fight anyway and war happens to end when she kills him. By coincidence. Which was awkward.

Yeah, killing Ares didn’t stop war. It just stopped him from adding fuel to the fire of any existing one.

Peace was in the process of being negotiated already. It just fast forwarded to it after the climax was done. Which was indeed kind of awkward.

Knight Boat fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 28, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah on paper it makes sense. The armistice was being signed and those forgettable bad guys were trying to make a big attack with their super mustard gas to try and ruin it. So Steve stops that from happening and meanwhile two gods have a huge, fiery battle and when it ends it makes sense for everyone present to just kind of be relieved and go home.

But the movie forces it so they can end with the big dramatic Diana superfight instead of Steve stopping the attack and then has Nazis hugging which is weird and sent mixed messages. I get how we got there but it was weird.

They clearly wanted Diana to be the hero and not get upstaged by her guy. Which I get. The name of the movie is Wonder Woman, not Steve Trevor. But also it would have made more narrative sense for Diana to beat Ares, everything still happening, and Steve stops the attack and Diana learns the lesson that individuals can do big things to help or something. But I get why they blinked at the corner they painted themselves into because the movie was called Wonder Woman, not Steve Trevor.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 28, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah on paper it makes sense. The armistice was being signed and those forgettable bad guys were trying to make a big attack with their super mustard gas to try and ruin it. So Steve stops that from happening and meanwhile two gods have a huge, fiery battle and when it ends it makes sense for everyone present to just kind of be relieved and go home.

But the movie forces it so they can end with the big dramatic Diana superfight instead of Steve stopping the attack and then has Nazis hugging which is weird and sent mixed messages. I get how we got there but it was weird.

World War 1, not 2.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ImpAtom posted:

World War 1, not 2.

poo poo. Sorry. That's stupid as hell. Its late.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Aphrodite posted:

Funny how the kind of leftists I know on twitter that really dislike MCU movies would probably like them more if they realized how Marvel Studios runs things via a central committee with a line on what is and isn't acceptable. :v:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Serious question, what does DC even have on their future slate besides this, The Batman, and Shazam 2? I’m assuming an Aquaman 2 is also probably likely, along with whatever movie Harley Quinn will inevitably show up in.

I thought they were going to do a Static Shock movie at some point...or does DC not actually care / is DC not actually involved with that?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MoaM posted:

I thought they were going to do a Static Shock movie at some point...or does DC not actually care / is DC not actually involved with that?

According to this NYTimes profile of Walter Hamada, Static Shock (and Batgirl) might be HBOMax releases, if they get made.

quote:

The most expensive DC movies (up to four a year, starting in 2022) are designed for release in theaters, Mr. Hamada said. Additional superhero films (two annually is the goal, perhaps focused on riskier characters like Batgirl and Static Shock) will arrive exclusively on HBO Max, the fledgling streaming service owned by WarnerMedia.
Also, of some interest is that they're filling leaning into the idea of a multiverse and just making as many different Batman movies as they feel like.

quote:

To make all the story lines work, DC Films will introduce movie audiences to a comics concept known as the multiverse: parallel worlds where different versions of the same character exist simultaneously. Coming up, for instance, Warner Bros. will have two different film sagas involving Batman — played by two different actors — running at the same time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are a shitload of vaporware DCEU announcements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Extended_Universe#Future_films

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Aphrodite posted:

There are a shitload of vaporware DCEU announcements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Extended_Universe#Future_films
That’s a lot of projects that will probably never get made

I had forgotten about the Ava DuVernay New Gods thing

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I had forgotten about the Ava DuVernay New Gods thing

Oh God me too. And with how cheap the CG in this movie looked, we're in for a movie where the Fourth World looks as bad as A Wrinkle In Time did.

That list is pretty rough and much of it was leftover from the weird long plan they had for the Snyderverse back when Justice League was going to be 2 parts. At this point I don't think we're gonna see any clear direction for the DCEU until The Flash ever comes out to reset everything. If it's actually going to. Then again 84 should have been an easy slam dunk continuity-wise and it couldn't even stay consistent with all of her other appearances.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Aphrodite posted:

Good lord, that's too much man; yo, ya'll really gonna go to a Blue Beetle movie? I ain't.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm mainly disappointed in WW84 because it's yet another movie where the director talked during production about strongly wanting to make a gay relationship an important part of the movie, the lead actor/actress said they were on board with it, and then nothing of the sort happened in the actual movie.

I am so drat tired of queer-baiting with mainstream movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I would say that anything that is a direct sequel is most likely going to happen. Anything that is a spin off? Wouldn't hold my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

muscles like this! posted:

I would say that anything that is a direct sequel is most likely going to happen. Anything that is a spin off? Wouldn't hold my breath.
Yeah there are so many projects on that list that are not happening

Like the plot of the Birds of Prey movie was that Harley left the Joker so we’re not going to be getting a movie that goes backwards