Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
fray seeing radovan use superbolide and just thinking "drat, this guy gets it"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

I kind of hope they don't keep doing role quests for the next expansion even though I know they will; A lot of the job quests have characters that I'd like to continue the story with, like Z'rhun and Arya or Radovan and Sophie.

I think the in-universe explanation is that generally speaking by the time your character hits lv70 in the job they're the greatest (your job) on Hydaelyn so 72-80 is basically your character just coming up with new badass moves on their own.

I think you even started doing this with Dragoon in the HW job quests.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yeah just start having groups of the Source's job quest people consisting of the tank, healer, magical, and physical quest lines with individual level 90 capstone quests.

Mixing them up somewhat would be cool, but I guess they don't want to get into a situation of "you leveled dragoon to 90, but your 90 capstone is weird because we threw Estinien over in the healer quest line that you didn't do yet and it has spoilers for that."

But even keeping them sequestered would get some interesting results; like Radovaan, Sophie, and Sid just being increasingly exasperated by Curious Gorge, or the Bard Boys annoying the gently caress out of Estinien or Y'mithra getting together with the Thamaturge guild being like "you know maybe we should summon Demi-Shatotto instead"

MechaX fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 28, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hunter Noventa posted:

I think you even started doing this with Dragoon in the HW job quests.

And I think you're in... not quite 'uncharted territory' with DRK in the 60s, but the only other DRK left is a dipshit so you're left to learn on your own.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Chillgamesh posted:

I kind of hope they don't keep doing role quests for the next expansion even though I know they will; A lot of the job quests have characters that I'd like to continue the story with, like Z'rhun and Arya or Radovan and Sophie.
Did you do the optional level 80 job-specific quests? They're at least good for getting to check in with those characters and stuff.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

MechaX posted:

But even keeping them sequestered would get some interesting results; like Radovaan, Sophie, and Sid just being increasingly exacerbated by Curious Gorge, or the Bard Boys annoying the gently caress out of Estinien or Y'mithra getting together with the Thamaturge guild being like "you know maybe we should summon Demi-Shatotto instead"

Uh this owns, and I need this immediately.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I could maybe see them converging the job NPCs in the role quests, but the job your on assigning you the Main Guy from the previous quests, who'd speak the most. if they added them to NG+ early enough it'd also encourage doing the quests on your other jobs to see the differences.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MechaX posted:

Yeah just start having groups of the Source's job quest people consisting of the tank, healer, magical, and physical quest lines with individual level 90 capstone quests.

Mixing them up somewhat would be cool, but I guess they don't want to get into a situation of "you leveled dragoon to 90, but your 90 capstone is weird because we threw Estinien over in the healer quest line that you didn't do yet and it has spoilers for that."

But even keeping them sequestered would get some interesting results; like Radovaan, Sophie, and Sid just being increasingly exacerbated by Curious Gorge, or the Bard Boys annoying the gently caress out of Estinien or Y'mithra getting together with the Thamaturge guild being like "you know maybe we should summon Demi-Shatotto instead"

While I love this idea, I will point out that it always has problems based on the fact it has to keep track of story status for several different questlines at once, and in many cases just won't work.

Just off the top of my head, Dark Knight and Samurai both have to deal with their central contact changing after their intro expansion range in a way that means you can't just use one or the other easily, and Dragoon has its central cast change completely with every expansion.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

phys ranged join forces on the greatest of projects: the ultimate singing, dancing robot

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CYBEReris posted:

phys ranged join forces on the greatest of projects: the ultimate singing, dancing robot

I agree, put Gato in FFXIV so I can beat him up and earn silver points.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Given how they treated HW Estinien, I think the team is willing to say "okay we're moving on with this character's story regardless whether you finished this job quest story or not" when push comes to shove. But it will be tough, especially in situations like DRK where if they go time current and assume that you did the job quests at least up to say.... 70, making players care about Sid without context will be a hard sell, for example.

But then again, if the writing is good enough, it could motivate people to go back and play through these other job quest stories to find out more about some characters they found particularly interesting though.

Plus, at this point we're pretty much 8 years into these stories and there does seem to be an end in sight; I wouldn't be surprised if, assuming SE wanted to go this route, just be like "there will be some dialogue changes here and there depending on what class you're going with, but we're assuming that you know these characters generally, or you've completed up to the 80 capstone. If not, you won't be overly lost or anything so feel free to go back and level some older classes, we totally buffed EXP a lot for 1-80."

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Fister Roboto posted:

I hope the next healer class is chemist and they use some sort of aether pistol, so that we can put together a full viable party that uses only guns.

Agreed, except a long rifle instead of a pistol.

Edit: The funny thing about this is that it would bring back gun users with a cast bar almost assuredly.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 28, 2020

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

MechaX posted:

Given how they treated HW Estinien, I think the team is willing to say "okay we're moving on with this character's story regardless whether you finished this job quest story or not" when push comes to shove. But it will be tough, especially in situations like DRK where if they go time current and assume that you did the job quests at least up to say.... 70, making players care about Sid without context will be a hard sell, for example.

But then again, if the writing is good enough, it could motivate people to go back and play through these other job quest stories to find out more about some characters they found particularly interesting though.

Plus, at this point we're pretty much 8 years into these stories and there does seem to be an end in sight; I wouldn't be surprised if, assuming SE wanted to go this route, just be like "there will be some dialogue changes here and there depending on what class you're going with, but we're assuming that you know these characters generally, or you've completed up to the 80 capstone. If not, you won't be overly lost or anything so feel free to go back and level some older classes, we totally buffed EXP a lot for 1-80."

I would be absolutely down for a system where the Armory bonus to job XP doubles for each job you have at a higher level.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CYBEReris posted:

We've had Gundam, time for some Macross.

"My boyfriend is a lancer" by Guydelot.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Failboattootoot posted:

Agreed, except a long rifle instead of a pistol.

Edit: The funny thing about this is that it would bring back gun users with a cast bar almost assuredly.

Cast animation where you're reloading a single-shot rifle would be p. cool.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The AoE heal pulls out a gatling gun.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

I hope the next healer class is chemist and they use some sort of aether pistol, so that we can put together a full viable party that uses only guns.

I think chances are pretty good they'd use something like a hand mortar, since MCH already has all the one-handed firearm animations. A bigger, clunkier-looking gun would also fit more if they gave them cast times on their main abilities to keep mobility more in-line with the other healers.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
straight up TF2 medigun

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
My pick for a Chemist weapon is still a wrist-mounted launcher, like Rinoa in FFVIII. Gives them a lot of potential for interesting weapon-based animations, while also, crucially, keeping the hands free for good Mix animations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cleretic posted:

My pick for a Chemist weapon is still a wrist-mounted launcher, like Rinoa in FFVIII. Gives them a lot of potential for interesting weapon-based animations, while also, crucially, keeping the hands free for good Mix animations.

They won't do this purely due to the clipping nightmare it would engender.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm thinking something like the Slime Blower from Ghostbusters 2

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

Vermain posted:

They won't do this purely due to the clipping nightmare it would engender.

I don’t buy that argument so long as the MCH lunchbox still exists.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I had doubts about whether FF14 was the best MMORPG, then I ran across seven bards playing vengabus

https://twitter.com/xarph/status/1343448986565296128?s=20

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Wollawolla posted:

I don’t buy that argument so long as the MCH lunchbox still exists.
The aetherotransformer is such a pain in the rear end, but I would accept a wrist-launcher that overwrites your gloves like some MNK relics do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I have randomly decided that the thing I want more than anything as the reward for the Weapon questline is a housing decoration of the G-Warrior that's about the size of a Master Grade gunpla.

Or even better, just the box for a G-Warrior gunpla.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Syringe tipped bolts on crossbows for chemist.

gently caress these Gonnes go back to the weapon of the people, the grand equalizer, the crossbow.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the thing that bothers me about the mch box is they are all exactly the same! if they were modeled to fit with the gun they came with it would be cool.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Awesome! posted:

the thing that bothers me about the mch box is they are all exactly the same! if they were modeled to fit with the gun they came with it would be cool.

The box is supposed to be where you turret and flamethrower bits (And I guess the queen phone) are kept so I understand why they did it. I wish they did tho.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Should've just been a Ghostbusters backpack

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

Wrapping up Heavensward and overall it was fantastic.

Was not expecting an entire Briardien set of quests and it was surprisingly some of my favorite story telling so far. The expurgators was an especially dark bit of lore.

Alexander was probably the most fun I’ve had with dungeons as well. Between the music and novel way of moving around it was a blast.

Felt like I was rushing through the ARR end game to move on to the next expansion, but it’s been quite fun letting the HW end game breath and exploring the transformation of Ishgard through different quests.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Is there some way to put the "actually collect item into your inventory now" button from the new collectable interface onto your hotbar? Tried dragging it but didn't work, and haven't found it in the skills tab.

It's p. annoying that i can go through the whole rotation using my keyboard, but need to reach for my mouse and click for the last step.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Chemists should have high grade slingshots, to facilitate launching healing potions at people up to 25 yards away.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

my idea for chemist is they would have some type of 'aether siphon' gun to explain why they can put out so much healing compared to a regular alchemist, and then they'd have a little mini combo of instant cast attacks to fill charges to spend on big heals. maybe also a back-mounted mixer that barfs out healing smoke.

i thought about them maybe having channeled spells to represent hosing people down with potions or whatever, but idk how that would balance vs existing healers. i thought about a potion mixing mechanic too, but the most fun way to do that has already been done with dancer's dances.

it's hard to think of how to make a new healer unique without violating the design philosophy they seem to have for healers. chemist would presumably be a non-magical healer, and the main difference between magic dps and phys dps is that phys is instant cast vs cast times for magic. but white mage already has a ton of instant cast heals, so idk.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

juggalo baby coffin posted:

it's hard to think of how to make a new healer unique without violating the design philosophy they seem to have for healers. chemist would presumably be a non-magical healer, and the main difference between magic dps and phys dps is that phys is instant cast vs cast times for magic. but white mage already has a ton of instant cast heals, so idk.

I doubt they'd make a healer whose entire kit had no cast times (at the very least, I could easily see that becoming required by groups in the PF, as there would be no risk of having your heals interrupted by having to move for mechanics, and the devs hate it when specific jobs are considered "required"), so at that point even if Chemist/Salvemaker/Chirurgeon/whatever was a "physical" class, there'd still be the abstraction of "cast" times by having them mixing together two chemicals that have to be kept separate until the last moment or loading their potion-delivering weapon or something.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Maybe something like having the skills be reagents on a shared cool down and the heals be combo skills that cash in the prepped ingredients. That’d take care of the job gauge, anyway.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

gooby pls posted:

Wrapping up Heavensward and overall it was fantastic.

Was not expecting an entire Briardien set of quests and it was surprisingly some of my favorite story telling so far. The expurgators was an especially dark bit of lore.

Alexander was probably the most fun I’ve had with dungeons as well. Between the music and novel way of moving around it was a blast.

Felt like I was rushing through the ARR end game to move on to the next expansion, but it’s been quite fun letting the HW end game breath and exploring the transformation of Ishgard through different quests.

HW might still be my favorite part of the MSQ, I loved all the characters and the journey to meet Ratatoskr was really well realized. Love how you go on this long, epic voyage and then he's like "my brother is an rear end in a top hat, but so are humans, so gently caress off." I'm so glad they keep the Ishgard plot going in the background with the Restoration stuff and the Ehll Tou custom deliveries.

W/r/t the chemist speculation: I think you could have like potion mixing abilities that give you charges of your healing abilities. So you can prepare different things for different fights, and also work on the fly to make what you need, but it takes time. And have oGCD emergency heals, of course. Something like dances or mudras but with potion ingredients.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i made a post a couple weeks ago about being nervous losing my hallowed ground comfort blanket when i switched off paladin tanking after finishing the achievements.

have to say that nascent flash might be an even comfier blanket now that ive played with it for awhile (while leveling war i think i did like 3 dungeons with it).

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Copycat Zero posted:

I doubt they'd make a healer whose entire kit had no cast times (at the very least, I could easily see that becoming required by groups in the PF, as there would be no risk of having your heals interrupted by having to move for mechanics, and the devs hate it when specific jobs are considered "required"), so at that point even if Chemist/Salvemaker/Chirurgeon/whatever was a "physical" class, there'd still be the abstraction of "cast" times by having them mixing together two chemicals that have to be kept separate until the last moment or loading their potion-delivering weapon or something.

Existing healers already do like 95% of their healing with ogcds and instants because healing is utterly broken in this game. I think the only time I’ve needed to chain back to back cast time heals is on like titan savage tumults.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Firebert posted:

Existing healers already do like 95% of their healing with ogcds and instants because healing is utterly broken in this game. I think the only time I’ve needed to chain back to back cast time heals is on like titan savage tumults.

That's why I waffled a bit with my wording there -- GOOD healers already do 95% of their healing with OGCDs and instants. DF/PF healers are not necessarily good healers, and a job that says "there is literally no point at which you need to stand still to cast a heal, so you have no excuse for taking a Landslide right to the face and then on the next pull somehow dying to bomb rocks" would probably be too tempting not to force into every PF party.

(I just wanted my Titan EX clears for the week... PF, please... :negative: )

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

I have randomly decided that the thing I want more than anything as the reward for the Weapon questline is a housing decoration of the G-Warrior that's about the size of a Master Grade gunpla.

Or even better, just the box for a G-Warrior gunpla.

yoship please contract bandai to make a G-Warrior gunpla