Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Spuzzum is an unincorporated settlement in British Columbia, Canada. Because it is on the Trans-Canada Highway, approximately 50 kilometres north of the community of Hope, it is often referred to as being "beyond Hope".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I feel like Nelson and, to a lesser extent, Kaslo, are what people from cities think small towns are like. I mean, of course Nelson is hot right now, it was a gathering point for hipster doofuses even before that was cool. And we mainly went to Kaslo for artisanal donuts, which at the time were just called "donuts" because it's not like there was a Tim's for a few hours so what other choice did you have. So, we'd go there with an onion tied to our belts, as was the style at the time... ;)

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I think the ones that are blowing up are the only ones that have schools within a reasonable distance. No one wants to move to Rosebery where their biggest industry is broom making.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I think the ones that are blowing up are the only ones that have schools within a reasonable distance. No one wants to move to Rosebery where their biggest industry is broom making.

There's still a school in New Denver, and broadband as far as I know. If you want to work remote and don't mind living in the rear end end of nowhere it could be tempting. It's actually quite lovely in that area, if you can put up with rural life. I can't; ergo, you'd have to pay me at least seven figures to consider moving back full-time.

Everyone smokes but you can't find a decent brand to save your own life, it's a depressing way of life. ;) Last time I was there I eventually resigned myself to smoking Exports and they didn't even have the reds, I think I had to smoke golds or blues.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 28, 2020

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Nelson is home to BBC radio DJ B. Traits. Show some respect.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

half cocaine posted:

BBC Canada is shutting down at the end of 2020, so that about does it for Nelson

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think the whole area is proof that you can will an economy into existence by sheer force of will.

Apart from some logging, I think all that ever went on as a primary industry was growing weed.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

All you need to do is convince old people they'll be safe from bears and foreigners and you're good to setup a walmart franchise there.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Spuzzum is an unincorporated settlement in British Columbia, Canada. Because it is on the Trans-Canada Highway, approximately 50 kilometres north of the community of Hope, it is often referred to as being "beyond Hope".

For west coasters referring to the rest of Canada the joke is that "everywhere east of Spuzzum is beyond Hope."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

qhat posted:

All you need to do is convince old people they'll be safe from bears and foreigners and you're good to setup a walmart franchise there.

Nah they love the poo poo out of bears. But re: the other point, the only time I've heard someone go hard-r in a place of business, anywhere in the world, was a (crazy but not universally shunned) resident discussing the local doctor in the local restaurant. So, yeah, there's that...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

Castlegar is like the scene from the Simpsons with the new transfer student who says "there's a weird smell here, and you're all probably used to it... but I'm not."

a buddy of mine moved out there a year ago. Went to visit him earlier this summer and the town was fine, but reminded me of the suburbs. No weird smells or anything, but we weren't exactly strolling up to the mills

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

Foreign buyers Remote workers are loving things up.

Here we have Canmore councillor Joanna McCallum referring to those joining her community, and wanting to become "locals" as outsiders coming in, taking something away from "locals"

From the posted article posted:

“Any small little desirable town, I’m looking at you Rossland, Fernie, Nelson ... they’re all struggling with this question of people coming [from] outside their community and taking up some of their housing, and then there’s not enough housing available for local people,” Ms. McCallum said. She’s concerned that what’s left for locals usually doesn’t match local salaries and is sub-standard.

I dunno, maybe someone in local government could do something to provide these lacking services to "locals", if they were so concerned?

Nah, better to tell people to piss off and take their tax revenue elsewhere

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

The underlying thesis is still correct. There is no connection between wages and costs and the price of housing has been perverted by multiple factors that in a rational market, a correction would be expected. What we were all wrong on was the extent to which the Canadian government will backstop real estate by printing insane amounts of money through crashing interest rates.

When you look at debt levels in this country, we are in real trouble. Subnational debt is crazy high, personal debt is off the charts, and our industrial base is completely marginalized. We don’t produce enough of anything and we want the best of everything. Cheap debt is all that is keeping us afloat and the loonie will never be the world’s reserve currency. Oil is toast and money laundering isn’t that far behind either.

How anything other than financial chicanery justifies a duplex at $1.5 million is beyond me. How that constitutes ‘cheap’ is enough to make my head explode.

About the UK but I think big chunks of it apply to Canada as well: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/27/the-guardian-view-on-britain-out-of-the-eu-a-treasure-island-for-rentiers

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

half cocaine posted:

Nelson is home to like 20 world class DJs lol

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Kimberley is one of the most adorable small towns in the interior of BC and only 20 minutes away from Cranbrook.

But it's wayyyyyyyyyy too small for me and I would never live there. Still, I'd very, very easily go for a visit once a year, and probably would have done so this year if not for covid.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I often miss living in and near the rocky mountains but I'd probably miss a lot more about Toronto if I left to move back to BC/AB.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

B33rChiller posted:

Here we have Canmore councillor Joanna McCallum referring to those joining her community, and wanting to become "locals" as outsiders coming in, taking something away from "locals"

I dunno, maybe someone in local government could do something to provide these lacking services to "locals", if they were so concerned?

Nah, better to tell people to piss off and take their tax revenue elsewhere

The thing as well is the economy of the interior of BC has been for decades badly hurting, ever since the secular decline in pulp and paper that started in the 90s as computers took off and the world realized it didn't phone books etc. It really wasn't fast ferries that killed the NDP in the 90s, but this. There is NOTHING going on in many, many of these interior towns and this has been an intractable problem that neither the BC Liberals nor the NDP have been able to solve. The fact that the "100,000 jobs" LNG hail mary play by the Libs in 2013 worked so well and propelled them into office with a bigger mandate than before is indicative that people really want a solution here.

An influx of remote workers could finally be part of the solution, as it would be an injection of new people with more money, youth and fresh ideas into these communities. The distortionary effects Vancouver money will have on these towns is a microcosm of the impact foreign wealth has had on Vancouver, but the key differentiation between these situations is that while the influx of wealth into Vancouver has been via wealthy retirees, pied a terre buying and condo investments, in this case the money coming into small towns is from young people that are still currently working. That is the best sort of population growth these towns can hope for.

Now the worst case would be that it turns out that the wealthy white collar class is simply looking for pied a terres in these towns, to stay part time, resulting in empty homes and a housing crisis, but we've seen that that can be effectively mitigated by empty house tax, which could be expanded. Or simply by encouraging developers to build more housing and funnelling development fees into public works that support locals. In the best case scenario people are looking to genuinely leave Vancouver behind and settle for good. NIMBYS gonna NIMBY but this case would be entirely positive for many of these moribund towns.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

The option to tell smug townies all the kernels of wisdom that have been given to us Vancouverites over the last 10 years about outsiders taking their jerbshouses almost makes me want to move.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Femtosecond posted:

Foreign buyers Remote workers are loving things up.

Many words written without a single shred of substantive evidence for its thesis. I'd bet dollars to donuts all the listed towns are experiencing net negative population growth.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

PT6A posted:

Yes, "small towns" like Nelson, the large town we would go to in order to buy things when I was growing up in an actual small town.

I wonder how many people are looking for places to live in Slocan, Winlaw, Silverton, New Denver, Rosebery, Hills, Nakusp and so on.

10K pop is like the minimum you'd look for to enjoy luxuries like a decent size hospital that isn't permanently teetering on the edge of being shut down, a choice of more than one GP actually accepting new patients and not being 70+ years old; a handful of interesting eateries, maybe a usable bus line and a municipal admin building so you don't have to drive an hour to get an ID or whatever.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 28, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sauer kraut posted:

10K pop is like the minimum you'd look for to enjoy luxuries like a decent size hospital that isn't permanently teetering on the edge of being shut down, a choice of more than one GP actually accepting new patients and not being 70+ years old; a handful of interesting eateries, maybe a usable bus line and a municipal admin building so you don't have to drive an hour to get an ID or whatever.

Yes, that's true. You've provided a wonderful explanation of why small towns loving suck.

It doesn't mean that when you live in a small city, it is in fact a small town.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If you need more houses in these small towns can you not just build more

Are they running out of land in Nelson too?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

yes, that's what nelson needs, to double its size by ingesting a giant pile of lovely suburban mcmansions put up by the lowest bidder

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
I think AirBNB plays a bigger role in the rental market that the original story complained about than remote workers or "non-local" money. I suppose that ski towns could certainly have seen some "just this winter" relocations, but doubt those would be deep into secondary/tertiary cities. Where by cities I mean towns of 3-800 people.

... although it's not like there's quality rental stock in any of these places in the first place.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

sauer kraut posted:

The only thing true here is a the GP part, why we can’t train doctors I don’t know. No one shuts down hospitals more then an hour from the nearest next one.

No hospital outside a major centre 300,000 plus has really had the ability to do major surgery in about 40 years. (This isn’t true is say the Grey Nuns are paying for things)Your small region hospitals can do basic emergency and small surgeries but no one is doing say heart transplants in them.

A town of 50,000 is about the point where you can run a bus line, smaller then that it’s not worth it.

You can have good restaurants in town of 500.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Small towns suck because small town economies completely evaporated over the past few decades, everyone who could leave left, and everyone who couldn't got bitter. If working people go there and then exchange their money for goods and services that trend could theoretically reverse, right?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Square Peg posted:

Small towns suck because small town economies completely evaporated over the past few decades, everyone who could leave left, and everyone who couldn't got bitter. If working people go there and then exchange their money for goods and services that trend could theoretically reverse, right?

Only insofar as gentrification works, which is to say it doesn't. People will just end up priced out like in city neighbourhoods. The only jobs left for locals will be the low paying servile things, with the added joy of now not being able to afford the increased rent!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

leftist heap posted:

Many words written without a single shred of substantive evidence for its thesis. I'd bet dollars to donuts all the listed towns are experiencing net negative population growth.

lmao great point

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

More development? Sounds like something that would ruin the small town charm and rich history of Nelson!

I've only been in the town for afternoon, but I could imagine it could have just as deep of a well of entrenched nimbyism as Vancouver does.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So many small railroad towns in BC have great bones. Intact main streets, fairly dense grids of pre-car streets and such. If we built on that they could be paradises, but we wouldn't, all development would be in the form of vast suburban tract homes and "power centers"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Do you think I moved to a small town so I could experience small town living? gently caress no give me a rushed together cookie cutter house and a 30 minute commute to anywhere.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There are countless thriving small towns across Canada - see Gas, Corner (Butt et al. 2004) and Creek, Schitt's (Levy & Levy, 2015) and references therein.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I've thought about moving to Greenwood, the smallest city in Canada, but mostly because there's some very beautiful, very empty homes there that were abandoned whenever the city shat the bed, as well as a downtown core, and coffee. Reasons for staying the gently caress away have already been said, like no doctors, hours away from any hospital, and probably a meth problem.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Hey all you guys thinking about moving to small town BC; are you sociable, gregarious, and extroverted? Do you possess a deep emotional intelligence?

No?

Then don't move to a small town.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

RBC posted:

Only insofar as gentrification works, which is to say it doesn't. People will just end up priced out like in city neighbourhoods. The only jobs left for locals will be the low paying servile things, with the added joy of now not being able to afford the increased rent!

If your town's economy collapses because people move there and spend money it probably doesn't deserve to exist.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Nothing is gonna bring back the pulp mills or [insert large resource industry related manufacturer]. Best hope these towns have for any sort of economy is tourism which will get a boost from rich remote workers coming in, spending money, and telling their friends about how great the place is. The jobs that spin out from rich remote worker yuppy investment aren't as good or stable as the aforementioned big industry jobs of decades ago, but those jobs no longer exist and it's better than nothing.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Throatwarbler posted:

nelson is actually full, yeah. it's basically sheer mountains on all sides

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

the talent deficit posted:

nelson is actually full, yeah. it's basically sheer mountains on all sides

Um, Jason Kenney knows a way that industry can tear down mountains to retrieve coal...

Just a helpful suggestion to solve a real estate problem.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And if the mountain falls down on the town, a new wave of locals can get jobs digging it out again, thus creating the self sustaining economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

PittTheElder posted:

And if the mountain falls down on the town, a new wave of locals can get jobs digging it out again, thus creating the self sustaining economy.

Genius! Doug Schweitzer, is that you?