Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Last night I read The Savior's Book Café in Another World
It's...fairly inoffensive? Also there's apparently more coming but the two volumes that are out are a pretty self-contained story so it's a quick, breezy read.

Pros:
Adult characters
No slavery
Male love interest looks like grownup Waver
most of the story is just the leads hanging out quietly while their crushes deepen until they finally confess to each other

Cons:
There's no real conflict. The MC basically gets an infinite wish device that provides for her every material need (which tbf is not uncommon in isekai stories) but she also doesn't have to work for like...anything. The love interest shows up at her door immediately, happens to be a bookish guy who's stunningly handsome who pretty much immediately gets a crush on her, and then most of the story is just them hanging out quietly while their crushes deepen until they finally confess to each other. There's sort of a villain in the form of another Savior who is a bratty child abusing her power/status for her own gain, and the story does kind of make a few token nods toward how the two share some similarities in how they're both dodging their "save the world" responsibilities but it doesn't really explore that at all. The MC saves the day with her overpowered special magic then there are zero consequences for her hiding things and everything turns out perfect for her.

Mostly it's just boring, but it's at least short. There were some hints of conflict that could have been interesting if it had developed them in any way -- like the prince, this guy is having his mind hosed with by the brat Savior's magic for months, what's going on in his head later in the story when poo poo actually goes down? Who knows, the MC has to get back to her cafe and make tea.

Honestly I was down for the romance slice of life parts with the hot guard captain, but everything around it kind of detracts from that and feels really phoned in because it doesn't develop anything enough to be really interesting, so it's like...what was even the point of having it there except to check off some isekai worldbuilding boxes. Just let me have a fantasy setting slice of life romance, good grief.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Yeah I read that too. It was inoffensive but, as you mention, the story would have been more compelling with room to breathe. It wound up feeling very rushed, and the conflicts were resolved so quickly that no tension was allowed to build up. I wonder if the "popular part" is coming later so it rushed through the first main story.

e: yeah if it cut all the drama and it was just breezy romance with the guard guy it would have been better. made me appreciate lady rose more which at least seems to have real stakes even though the drama makes no sense

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I read Wortenia Senki over the friday-saturday period and it seems fun? I mean, there's slavery as a matter of fact in the world but the first thing the MC does is free two slavegirls, and then try to free them (only for them to end up following him anyway when he tells them he wants them to do as they will), then a huge civil war where he is hailed as a hero and given a useless peninsula as a fief (Useless because it (apparently) had no resources, no people and its coasts are full of pirates). Unfortunately, the latest chapter has him buying 300 slaves with his reward money, with the apparent intention of deprograming their slave-ness (Teaching them their own worth, giving them their own things and training them on skills) and the apparent intention of freeing them so they can help settle the land.

Dunno if it fits in the wholesome thread tho, any other readers can give their opinion?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Well I haven't read it but that sure doesn't sound great. Also harem tag and the usual premise for these things:

quote:

High school student Mikoshiba Ryouma was summoned to a different world in the middle of a war. Sensing the malice from the one who summoned him (a summoner of the O'ltormea empire), he uses his martial arts to run away, killing important people of the empire during his escape. After the escape, he rescues two twin sisters from the hands of thieves. The sisters who can use magic, swear to serve him as subordinates. Thus, Ryouma begins his journey on the path of the supreme ruler.

ps. lol @ "teaching them their own worth" what a concept

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Purchase of slaves for the purpose of freeing them still supports the entire system of slavery. The slaver still becomes wealthy doing it, using that wealth to acquire more slaves and benefit from the sale of slaves. You're just now participating in that and giving the slaver all the more reason to expand their slaving business, because you can be sold more slaves.

Which, y'know, doesn't change even if you show the main dude glower at the guy and threaten him but then still happily hand over all the money and send him off safely in the end.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Siegkrow posted:

latest chapter has him buying 300 slaves with his reward money, with the apparent intention of deprograming their slave-ness (Teaching them their own worth, giving them their own things and training them on skills) and the apparent intention of freeing them so they can help settle the land.
The current progression just did the slave perspective chapter so it's not looking too good. I'm talking about the "I am a slave and I just got bought. My master is kind to me so I obey him because I want to and not because I'm a slave" thing that other stories try to do to make it all okay. Personally, I decided that I'll let myself stumble on it again in awhile and see if it did anything actually innovative. I also can't really think how the story could go to make itself wholesome after that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mors Rattus posted:

Purchase of slaves for the purpose of freeing them still supports the entire system of slavery. The slaver still becomes wealthy doing it, using that wealth to acquire more slaves and benefit from the sale of slaves. You're just now participating in that and giving the slaver all the more reason to expand their slaving business, because you can be sold more slaves.

Which, y'know, doesn't change even if you show the main dude glower at the guy and threaten him but then still happily hand over all the money and send him off safely in the end.
meanwhile in sword dad, they casually slaughter 20 slavers("she chopped those guys into human-lego blocks...") and rescue some important children, solving their lodging issues from the last couple chapters.

I do not like that sword dad now has the ability to shapeshift into a katana or whatever. I want him to be a ridiculously giant unwieldy sword the size of Fran the entire time.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
For what it's worth, Wortenia is one of the very earliest isekai web novels, starting as early as 2009 at least.
For comparison, Overlord came out in 2010, Re:Zero, Mushoku Tensei, and Shield Hero in 2012, Death March in 2013, etc.
Not really worth hoping it'll modernise any of the old tropes.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
The Wholesome Isekai and VRMMO Thread: We only talk about isekai slavery

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Everything Burrito posted:

Last night I read The Savior's Book Café in Another World
It's...fairly inoffensive? Also there's apparently more coming but the two volumes that are out are a pretty self-contained story so it's a quick, breezy read.

I was really into this series, up until the last 2 chapters. I didn't mind the OP protagonist (goes with the territory, plus at least she got it from browbeating the god who drug her into this mess) and I thought the romance was pretty sweet. I just really expected it to develop more like the other "saintess just wants to be left alone" stories where eventually there would be more tension between her living her quiet life and having to use her powers to help the people she was starting to care about. Having it just suddenly resolve everything in the last 2 chapters like the series got dropped was such a letdown.

Maybe volume 2 will be better, but I'm not exactly hopeful at this point.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Eventually the conversation ends up reduced to "is this wholesome in your opinion?" apparently.

So, is Peter Pan an Isekai?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yes, but not as good as CT Yankee.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nemo2342 posted:

I was really into this series, up until the last 2 chapters. I didn't mind the OP protagonist (goes with the territory, plus at least she got it from browbeating the god who drug her into this mess) and I thought the romance was pretty sweet. I just really expected it to develop more like the other "saintess just wants to be left alone" stories where eventually there would be more tension between her living her quiet life and having to use her powers to help the people she was starting to care about. Having it just suddenly resolve everything in the last 2 chapters like the series got dropped was such a letdown.

Maybe volume 2 will be better, but I'm not exactly hopeful at this point.

Yeah I thought the god interaction at the beginning was pretty funny and relatable, like why would you *not* extract every possible concession out of the god if he's not going to send you back home. And it could be fun if he keeps showing up as some kind of meddlesome busybody, the story could use something like that to prod her out of her comfort zone.

If the next arc is mostly married couple slice of life in a fantasy setting I'll probably keep reading it even if it doesn't really go anywhere.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

Eventually the conversation ends up reduced to "is this wholesome in your opinion?" apparently.
it's like the only solid guideline from the OP

everythingWasBees posted:

This is not the thread for slave harem fantasy isekai, sexist revenge fantasy isekai, or rape fantasy isekai. Those can go in the other threads.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 20, 2020

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Captain Invictus posted:

meanwhile in sword dad, they casually slaughter 20 slavers("she chopped those guys into human-lego blocks...") and rescue some important children, solving their lodging issues from the last couple chapters.

I do not like that sword dad now has the ability to shapeshift into a katana or whatever. I want him to be a ridiculously giant unwieldy sword the size of Fran the entire time.

It's mentioned during the undead dungeon (I believe, maybe I'm wrong regarding the manga) that changing his shape does take mana, so it's a temporary thing. Plus, if he can use use the ability to go small, he can use it to be even more ridiculously giant.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Onean posted:

It's mentioned during the undead dungeon (I believe, maybe I'm wrong regarding the manga) that changing his shape does take mana, so it's a temporary thing. Plus, if he can use use the ability to go small, he can use it to be even more ridiculously giant.
you make a compelling argument

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

This sounds awfully familiar, but I can't remember if Sword Dad has already tried lengthening his blade midswing or if that was a different comic.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Siegkrow posted:

So, is Peter Pan an Isekai?

Crocodile Dundee is the best the genre has to offer.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Siegkrow posted:

I read Wortenia Senki over the friday-saturday period and it seems fun? I mean, there's slavery as a matter of fact in the world but the first thing the MC does is free two slavegirls, and then try to free them (only for them to end up following him anyway when he tells them he wants them to do as they will), then a huge civil war where he is hailed as a hero and given a useless peninsula as a fief (Useless because it (apparently) had no resources, no people and its coasts are full of pirates). Unfortunately, the latest chapter has him buying 300 slaves with his reward money, with the apparent intention of deprograming their slave-ness (Teaching them their own worth, giving them their own things and training them on skills) and the apparent intention of freeing them so they can help settle the land.

Dunno if it fits in the wholesome thread tho, any other readers can give their opinion?

I like Wortenia Senki, but it's skirted over the line with the last few chapters. As you laid out, the MC was pretty hosed over by his "reward", including working with local authorities who have a vested interested in keeping them hosed over. It's to the point where if anything is going to happen in Wortenia, the MC straight up buying and freeing loyal colonists is smarter than playing up against an increasingly stacked deck. I may of misunderstood a scene, but he might have the slave trader whacked by his pet clan of ninjas (he has one of those, free and clear).

Unfortunately, what pushes it out of "wholesome" territory is the whole recent "THANKS MASTER I'LL DO MY BEST" chapter that was mentioned - especially since these slaves are perfectly aware they are headed to an incredibly dangerous place.

Sword Dad is cool and Fran has the correct approach to slavers Faster pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Combatants Will Be Dispatched! chapter 29 is out.

#6 is truly up to some evil deeds in this one.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Apparently Pet of the Villainess is heading towards a het ending and I'm extremely disappointed.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Yes, but not as good as CT Yankee.

Alice in Wonderland is still the peak of the genre and nobody can change my mind.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Elf is an Isekai.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Kid in King Arthur's Kort?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Brought To You By posted:

Alice in Wonderland is still the peak of the genre and nobody can change my mind.

I figured the Wizard of Oz series would be the top of the genre.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the books are very strange and not terribly good

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Brought To You By posted:

Gulliver’s Travels nears it, tho

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Dikkfor posted:

Elf is an Isekai.

ALF is a reverse Isekai

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

I figured the Wizard of Oz series would be the top of the genre.

If anything it would be the Narnia series.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sestze posted:

Kid in King Arthur's Kort?

I don't know about that but A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court would count and even gets bonus points for putting down slavery.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't know about that but A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court would count and even gets bonus points for putting down slavery.

It is also the earliest example of the MC Introduces Modern Conveniences thing.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Blowing up Merlins tower with TNT was the best. loving straight up gunning down knights was a close second

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Oh nice, The Villainess Reverses the Hourglass started updating again.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The manga for Revolution Princess and Genius Young Lady just got another update. It's going in a slightly different direction than the WN, but for once I'm not disappointed while hoping for improvement. There's a couple scenes that have been missing* that I'd have enjoyed to see, but this deeper focus on Euphilia and her inner struggles is well worth the replacement. I'm still looking forward to the sillier stuff that's ahead, but fleshing out Euphilia is great.

*Spoilers for a couple scenes that've been skipped so far, but might yet show up.
Anise really doesn't want to become Queen. Mostly she doesn't want to give up her Magicology. But, she recognizes and respects the responsibility and power being a Queen will bring, and will not hesitate to put it to use. Specifically, she warns that she would bring Changes. Changes that the nobility would not like, changes that would likely lead to a bloody future. Using Magicology she sees a gradual path potentially filled with less upheaval, and she'd much rather take that route.

The other is a silly scene where she attempts to escape getting dressed up, which winds up involving the combat maid force backed up by castle guard, who use it as a regular training opportunity for enemies forcibly breaking through the castle wall.

Onean fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 27, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Thanks for the oblique recommendation here, eternal fool Asley seems good so far. It’s slow-paced enough that it’ll never go anywhere, but it’s an enjoyable read nonetheless. The dynamic between the titular Asley and his familiar is a lot of fun.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new Yakuza Reincarnation

Ryuu was banned for mod sass.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

nrook posted:

Thanks for the oblique recommendation here, eternal fool Asley seems good so far. It’s slow-paced enough that it’ll never go anywhere, but it’s an enjoyable read nonetheless. The dynamic between the titular Asley and his familiar is a lot of fun.
Yea, not one of my favorites but it's alright

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

nrook posted:

Any manga with a talking sassy dog gets a thumbs up in my book.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the best thing about that manga is how asley is held back from ultimate power by the fool title. basically, the universe recognizes that he is a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The ML's mom is real good