Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Jeff Fatwood posted:

AAAaaaaAAAaaaaaAAAAaaaAAAAaaaaaaAAARGIATIC!

I still don't understand this one. Does it go in your nose or something? If so, why? If not, where, and also why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

KillHour posted:

Given that about 80-90% of the world is cis-hetero, you're probably never going to have mass media depict gay content at the same rate. It would feel weird and artificial, especially in a game whose main thesis is "This is an uncomfortable, hosed up world and OH BOY are we going to make you experience that."

Probably yeah. It would look forced and stunted if you gave it a 50/50 distribution. I also get your point of view on this. I’m just sympathizing with the fact that being gay and wanting video games to cater to you is equivalent to going to a steakhouse or southern style bbq restaurant and ordering the one vegetarian item on the menu that consists of garnishes and side dishes on some cheap bread.

You still gotta go to the fancy asian vegetarian food place to get the good stuff.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Probably yeah. It would look forced and stunted if you gave it a 50/50 distribution. I also get your point of view on this. I’m just sympathizing with the fact that being gay and wanting video games to cater to you is equivalent to going to a steakhouse or southern style bbq restaurant and ordering the one vegetarian item on the menu that consists of garnishes and side dishes on some cheap bread.

You still gotta go to the fancy asian vegetarian food place to get the good stuff.

And when we go to the vegan place with my one vegan friend, I'm really sad because the bread is terrible and I can't get real honey for my tea. But I put up with it when we go because 4/5 times, she has to put up with the rest of us eating a burger in front of her. Gay stuff in media is kind of in the same place right now - there's stuff made specifically for gay people and stuff made for everyone else. This game was clearly made to sell a bajillion copies, so there's cow milk in the lattes by default. Is there a better way to handle that? Probably. But it's not something CDPR did way worse than the average. I think some people were really hoping this game would somehow handle this better than everyone else like some people were hoping it would be a better GTA or whatever, based on some of the marketing. Turns out, it's kind of mediocre at both.

That being said, it's kind of an indictment of how we treat sexuality compared to violence as a society that there are 100x more complaints about the dick/vag ratio than about the actually hosed up stuff the game decides you NEED to experience. This is a game that really, really, really needs a trigger warning. I can't imagine playing this game if you've been a victim of rape or violence or like a million other things.

Edit: The thing with the ambiguously named Joy Toys is funny because it happened to me too and I decided to roll with it because who cares - but it actually made me uncomfortable not because it was with a guy, but because it was legitimately sensual. Like you're staring into their eyes and having a deep conversation and it feels just real enough to hit that part of your brain that says "I'm opening up to a real person" and the cognitive dissonance straight up made my skin crawl. It's a great scene and well acted and probably the closest I've felt to "feeling" a connection with a fictional character in any media. If you have that experience with a character that isn't your normal preference, I can see it being scary to some people who haven't ever had that kind of introspection. Probably the highlight of the game for me, TBH.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 28, 2020

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

smoobles posted:

lol, finally decided to play again (PC) after a 10 day hiatus thinking 1.06 had fixed it. loaded my game and spawned inside of Panam's head while she drives a car.

I had that happen too and now I can only think of Johnny as a Russian nesting doll

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Sachant posted:

I still don't understand this one. Does it go in your nose or something? If so, why? If not, where, and also why?

I think its supposed to sound like orgasmic, its loving catchy though along with the mix it up one

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

KillHour posted:

I think some people were really hoping this would be a game for LGBTQ people like some people were hoping it would be GTA or whatever, based on some of the marketing.

Did the marketing really show some kind of LGBT tolerance/awareness to warrant that? I don't blame people for expecting a bit more robust open world experience based on the marketing but I don't remember seeing anything that was trying to cater to anyone outside of cishet (male) gamers. Not even counting the "mix it up" controversy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can you murk Rachel (from Sinnerman)?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Did the marketing really show some kind of LGBT tolerance/awareness to warrant that? I don't blame people for expecting a bit more robust open world experience based on the marketing but I don't remember seeing anything that was trying to cater to anyone outside of cishet (male) gamers. Not even counting the "mix it up" controversy.

I updated my verbiage there to be a little more clear on what I meant and yeah, I remember them talking about how they were going to handle sexuality much more maturely than typical media. And they did... kind of. They did come right out and say that characters have preferences. The way they chose to actually implement that was kind of weird, but it's a hard problem. You can't have a game that completely accurately simulates sexual preferences because you'll have characters locked out of relationships for having the wrong nose size or skin color or piercings or.... The problem was less with the implementation and more with setting expectations. They were vague enough that people who care a lot about portrayal of sexuality in the media could imagine their idealized implementation and latch onto that.

Edit: Like, could you imagine the poo poo show that would happen if the game was just like "Panam [isn't into / is only into] black guys, sorry." Either you make everyone playersexual and it's trivially shallow to the point of hurting characterization, or you pick a line that hopefully doesn't upset too many people.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 28, 2020

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

KillHour posted:

I updated my verbiage there to be a little more clear on what I meant and yeah, I remember them talking about how they were going to handle sexuality much more maturely than typical media. And they did... kind of. They did come right out and say that characters have preferences. The way they chose to actually implement that was kind of weird, but it's a hard problem. You have a game that completely accurately simulates sexual preferences because you'll have characters locked out of relationships for having the wrong nose size or skin color or piercings or.... The problem was less with the implementation and more with setting expectations. They were vague enough that people who care a lot about portrayal of sexuality in the media could imagine their idealized implementation and latch onto that.

Fair. I had to legitimately ask because most marketing for me is "sure, I'll believe it when I see it" and promptly forget most about it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Fair. I had to legitimately ask because most marketing for me is "sure, I'll believe it when I see it" and promptly forget most about it.

This game had Star Citizen levels of hype and people are really bad at being objective consumers of media.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 28, 2020

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

KillHour posted:

This game had Star Citizen levels of hype and people are really bad at being objective consumers of media.

I know. That's why I had to ask because I realize I might have trouble seeing the marketing/targeting that's outside my segment as a cishet male regardless of the hype. Plus a very selective memory because the internet likes to see things that aren't there. It's more a defense mechanism against marketing than objectivity, I guess.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Seymour Buttz posted:

It would be nice if the civilians you saved from being held up realized that they‘ve been saved and maybe said thanks instead of just remaining scared with their hands up forever until you go far enough away for them to disappear.

I feel like games figured that out in the 80’s.

They do, but sometimes they bug out. Or maybe not all of them are scripted to do so.

Rinkles posted:

Maybe when they're all in the car?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
It's telling that this game still manages to be this absorbing despite how much of a broken mess it is. Makes me kinda sad that they didn't delay it for six months or however long it would have taken to get it into a good state. People would have gone ape poo poo for this.

Oh well, no regrets, the writing is phenomenal, and what works, works well.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
The game is very zealous about garbage collecting panicked civilians and most of my saved civilians have just disappeared the moment I looked away from them without a word. I guess the panic from the fighting overrides whatever "thanks" routine they have most of the time for me.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

This universe doesn't really make sense.
Population in Night City has fallen 30%. Wouldn't it be the other way around? People flocking to the city people of a combination overpopulation / dustbowl / depression / global warming situation?

Despite poverty supposedly being rampant, it seems like most people still have their own cars, can go out for dinner or drinks, wear nice clothes, and most of all - afford crazy cybermod customization. Even the most destitute have crazy robot limbs for some reason.

International shipping has been mostly shut down. Sure doesn't seem to affect the importing of cars, or building materials, or tech. The USA find a supply of rare earth materials in Utah?

At one of the corps, a forced work week of only 80 hours is considered good. Is there really that much work? Even after robotics and AI? Doing what?

I dunno I just can't help but compare this to Deus Ex Mankind Divided, where everything there was a lot more logical and foreseeable.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

KillHour posted:

has star citizen ever actually had any legitimate, sustained hype beyond neckbeards with $50k in disposable income? iirc it became a punchline almost immediately when they started promising drink mixing minigames

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

stratdax posted:

Population in Night City has fallen 30%.

This might be a reference/side effect to how one of NC's mayors stopped counting Pacifica as part of Night City in order to polish up the crime rate reports.

stratdax posted:

Despite poverty supposedly being rampant, it seems like most people still have their own cars, can go out for dinner or drinks, wear nice clothes, and most of all - afford crazy cybermod customization. Even the most destitute have crazy robot limbs for some reason.

This is realistic. Just look at the corona breadlines in the US and what kind of cars were piling up on highways. It's just a reflection on what's being overproduced and being sold to anyone who can afford it (or can't but for that there's loan sharking and credit).

stratdax posted:

At one of the corps, a forced work week of only 80 hours is considered good. Is there really that much work? Even after robotics and AI? Doing what?

Also very realistic. It's not about work.

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 28, 2020

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

stratdax posted:

Population in Night City has fallen 30%.

Isn't that because they stopped including Pacifica in official statistics? (Which is why the city boasts about a much reduced murder rate)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

stratdax posted:

If you get an eyeball implant, you can shoot people in the head with a shotgun and it won't kill them.

If the game stole anything from GTA, it's their style of parody.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

If you get an eyeball implant, you can shoot people in the head with a shotgun and it won't kill them.

I assume the cybereye mod photoshops heads back onto people and adds scan result: definitely alive.

Jeff Fatwood posted:

AAAaaaaAAAaaaaaAAAAaaaAAAAaaaaaaAAARGIATIC!
Isn't it "AAAAAAAAARE YOU HARD YET?"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I assume the cybereye mod photoshops heads back onto people and adds scan result: definitely alive.

This fits perfectly into the universe and is now canon.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Sachant posted:

It's a tube of food paste that you add your preferred condiment to by squeezing one of the side bulbs ( there's a poster that shows the different sauces/flavours you can add )

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Talorat posted:

It's telling that this game still manages to be this absorbing despite how much of a broken mess it is. Makes me kinda sad that they didn't delay it for six months or however long it would have taken to get it into a good state. People would have gone ape poo poo for this.

Oh well, no regrets, the writing is phenomenal, and what works, works well.

when they fix it, polish, and maybe rebalance some things (preferably a lot), this might well be one of my favorite games ever. and it's no one single facet that's great. the city, the parkour, the density, the shootouts (when the things fall into place), the cars, the characters, the graphics, the fashion... i could go on.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn't it "AAAAAAAAARE YOU HARD YET?"

Don't know if you're joking but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7JVixmYUMM

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yes that's the ad I'm thinking of, I've always heard "are you hard yet". Implying that you should be excited by the product.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
So I figured out after this visit with Fingers that one of the girls in the waiting room is the stripper Johnny picks up.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

ded posted:

So I figured out after this visit with Fingers that one of the girls in the waiting room is the stripper Johnny picks up.

Oh wow you’re right. That’s a good catch.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

ded posted:

Was that actually her or just the same model? There are so many same character models recycled within the game for different parts, it's very off-putting.

edit. VVVVVV ahh cool, nice find

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 28, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Was that actually her or just the same model? There are so many same character models recycled within the game for different parts, it's very off-putting.

if you scan her it shows her name

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

the cemetery is a "cool" place for a shootout

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

stratdax posted:

Population in Night City has fallen 30%. Wouldn't it be the other way around? People flocking to the city people of a combination overpopulation / dustbowl / depression / global warming situation?

International shipping has been mostly shut down. Sure doesn't seem to affect the importing of cars, or building materials, or tech. The USA find a supply of rare earth materials in Utah?

I dunno I just can't help but compare this to Deus Ex Mankind Divided, where everything there was a lot more logical and foreseeable.

For the first question, I think it's a result of Night City both being in a precarious political situation following the 2070 war as well as the dramatic rise in crime and poverty since. It's not a place people really want to be, as I think several of the major characters' stories underscore.

For the rest, they sound like questions better asked for America 2020 than Cyberpunk 2077.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It always makes me laugh when the news report that plays before the main credits announces a recent spike of thirty deaths. V regularly kills a hundred people a day!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
this game is gonna be a really good loving game in 2022 im excited to do my usual second playthrough with whatever dlc

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I just played through Sinnerman which is quite a trip and it also seemed like the only time my max street cred bringer of death V has been recognized. I dunno if the cop always freaks out about having you in the car but it still felt appropriate when it hit.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FuzzySlippers posted:

I just played through Sinnerman which is quite a trip and it also seemed like the only time my max street cred bringer of death V has been recognized. I dunno if the cop always freaks out about having you in the car but it still felt appropriate when it hit.

There's also a random encounter with a street vendor somewhere that freaks out some thugs when they see V. Supposedly if you don't have the cred, they actually attack you.

Remember, respect is everything.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FuzzySlippers posted:

Man people are pumping the gently caress out of armor in this thread. I'm lvl 30 (50 sc) and I'm finishing up side quests before I complete do the final mission and my armor is 613. That's with mostly legendary stuff, lots of mods, but with no save/load to get the best version and my tech is only 6 and I haven't messed with crafting much so my mods are just what I find/buy. I have also favored looks over stats with gear but not to an absurd degree.

That means there are still plenty of neighborhoods around town where I can get killed fairly quickly if I don't pay attention (and this is with 20 Body and a lot of survival perks). This feels proper and not so easy that its boring. So I guess if you don't want your game to get super easy consider:

Ignore crafting. Its boring anyway so you'll have a better time. I have upgraded some things but without trying to grind on it the upper tier upgrade components are pretty rare so it doesn't come up that often.

Don't min/max your armor. Especially by tediously loading for the best version. My legendary slacks (lol) have two slots and it's fine.

Don't go full wizard. I have 12 int and I toss short circuit/contagion/reboot while I'm fighting but I don't sit next to a camera methodically zapping everyone. Going full hacker wizard is essentially just turning off the combat side of the game which some might find fun but I find it tedious.

I'm lvl 28 and wearing a pair of common gold booty shorts that I found in a late game area yet inexplicably only have 3.8 armor. I couldn't give less of a flying gently caress because the only time I actually die in this game is when some physics bug insta kills me.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

V pulled steet cred rank in that one minor quest about a couple thugs stealing a merchant's motorcycle. He basically says "you know who I am and what I can do" and they slink off without a fight.

It doesn't have a distinctive dialogue tag like stat checks, so its hard to know for certain, but does appear to affect things.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The athletics perk that reduces damage from explosions seems to be quite useless since any canister explosion is an instakill no matter how much health you have.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Rinkles posted:

I found an NPC that looked exactly like her out in the wild and we had us a little Marcellus Wallace crossing the road while Butch is at the lights moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Verviticus posted:

this game is gonna be a really good loving game in 2022 im excited to do my usual second playthrough with whatever dlc

On my 2nd playthrough now as a shootergirl and have to say enjoying this alot more than my 1st hackerman playthrough

I am also picking up alot more things in the story as I am actually taking my time because I am not scared of my save file going over 8mb