Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is Atomicrops any good? It looks like the intersection of many things I enjoy but that could so easily go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fistmaker
Mar 8, 2019
Love me some Dungeonmans. Thanks! Merry Xmas!

Used: 4E3QD-0DBE5-T6QFI

Pyronom
Nov 1, 2011

madjackmcmad posted:

Merry Christmas!

Dungeonmans Champion Edition
ARB8C-BCXWL-MQBCD

Pay2Lose DLC
JR6T6-JAFY6-LZDN6

Merry Christmas to you too!

I took the quoted codes.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

madjackmcmad posted:

R78DL-RRTV0-546PZ
I took this one. Thanks a lot!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Re: Atomicrops.

It's... pretty good. 7/10.

The pacing is sort of weird; it's somehow both frenetic and slow at the same time. The basic loop is: you run out of your farm during the day, killing stuff and collecting seeds. There's a passable variety of enemies to fight and powerups to find, but it's not gonna blow your mind. Then at nightfall you return, plant the seeds, and defend and water and fertilize them until you are forcibly returned to town at dawn. (You can farm during the day, but you usually want to spend every possible second outside - otherwise you'll run out of seeds.) It's a bit of a minigame to plant and grow things effectively, which I won't spoil since it's kind of fun to puzzle out yourself. In town, you buy stuff, particularly seeds and guns (guns last only one day outside of rare circumstances, so you have to buy a new one every time). Rinse, repeat. Every few days there's a boss (and the bosses are always exactly the same, unfortunately).

I'd say it's definitely fun, but I beat it about two times and don't feel any particular urge to try again. It's got some metaprogression unlocks, like other characters etc., but if there are any really cool things buried in there, I didn't stick around to see them.

If you decide to try it out, I can give some tips, since there are some aspects that are very much non-obvious, and the tutorial is laughably bad at explaining what you're actually supposed to do.

megane fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 26, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Atomicrops does have a ascension system sort of like slay the spire, and if you keep going up to later "years" it becomes dramatically more difficult.

I didn't go super far but there's a reasonable amount of meat on the bone for the price.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

Merry Christmas!

Q6WDL-PAC2D-RTEY2

Pay2Lose DLC

KZ4M0-VAD6Q-NW7RD

Took these 2. Thanks, bud!!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

When I redeemed the Dungeonmans codes (thanks!) another game showed up in my library: Demon Truck. What gives

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

bees x1000 posted:

When I redeemed the Dungeonmans codes (thanks!) another game showed up in my library: Demon Truck. What gives

It's a Christmas Miracle. From Satan, the driver of Demon Truck.

Or: anyone who bought the Champion Edition of dmans was given Demon Truck for free when Demon Truck launched, partially as a mea culpa for not being able to get the almanac together in time. The steam backend then switched all future copies of the champ edition to a different ID that did not include demon truck. But I still have a whole mess of keys from the old version so, hey, yeah enjoy some arcade helltrucking. The music is the best part -- again, thanks Zircon.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

The Colonel posted:

i've been playing baroque. it's very baroque

What are you playing it on? I got real excited when I saw it was out for the Switch, but apparently it's a Japan-only release

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

madjackmcmad posted:

Pay2Lose DLC

RY6XX-2KM0A-FBRD8

Grabbed this code. Thanks a bunch :)

Stdeviation
Oct 19, 2013

madjackmcmad posted:

Merry Christmas!

L5GW8-CQ2JR-Q0I57

Pay2Lose DLC

QHW35-29TED-GNKWR

Hi, took these two codes, thank you very much madjackmcmad!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Merry goonmas madjackmcmad, you beastly dev.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I want to recommend Ratropolis that recently came out of Early Access.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1108370/Ratropolis/

It's a deckbuilder, in the style of Slay the Spire or Monster Train, but with Tower Defense elements instead.
I'm gonna admit that I originally bought the game for the art but I ended up enjoying the gameplay a lot.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

megane posted:

Re: Atomicrops.

It's... pretty good. 7/10.

The pacing is sort of weird; it's somehow both frenetic and slow at the same time. The basic loop is: you run out of your farm during the day, killing stuff and collecting seeds. There's a passable variety of enemies to fight and powerups to find, but it's not gonna blow your mind. Then at nightfall you return, plant the seeds, and defend and water and fertilize them until you are forcibly returned to town at dawn. (You can farm during the day, but you usually want to spend every possible second outside - otherwise you'll run out of seeds.) It's a bit of a minigame to plant and grow things effectively, which I won't spoil since it's kind of fun to puzzle out yourself. In town, you buy stuff, particularly seeds and guns (guns last only one day outside of rare circumstances, so you have to buy a new one every time). Rinse, repeat. Every few days there's a boss (and the bosses are always exactly the same, unfortunately).

I'd say it's definitely fun, but I beat it about two times and don't feel any particular urge to try again. It's got some metaprogression unlocks, like other characters etc., but if there are any really cool things buried in there, I didn't stick around to see them.

If you decide to try it out, I can give some tips, since there are some aspects that are very much non-obvious, and the tutorial is laughably bad at explaining what you're actually supposed to do.

Bosses are no longer the same each run, a new patch dropped earlier this week that adds four new bosses and a few other new items/events/whatnot. I haven't checked it out yet myself so I'm not sure what all it added and how much variety it actually adds.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

madjackmcmad posted:

Merry Christmas!

8G0TD-K7M6W-57JV2

Pay2Lose DLC

66BAX-QK46H-WNVV0

I took these two. Thank you, and happy holidays to you too. :)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Breacher is cool but I gotta have that double dash and invulnerability on dash. Love to parry a rocket-propelled grenade with my face and then kill a main battle tank with my 10,000 credit combat knife

Same but with Heavy Gunner instead. Extra long dash means that I get to slide into enemies's DMs full of iframes while raining unholy amount of lead and rockets upon them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

madjackmcmad posted:

The music is the best part -- again, thanks Zircon.
can confirm this, it's real rockin

(not that Demon Truck itself is not reasonably fun for what it is, though not my cup of tea, but the music owns)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So I'm looking at Gordian Quest and Trials of Fire as two card-based games to add to my ever-expanding collection of early access could-be-good card builders. Anyone have any strong thoughts about either to help me choose between them?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Has anyone played Stoneshard recently? What's the goonpinion on it? I'm looking for something with a good build variety that gives you a very different experience depending on which archetype you choose, the same way, ToME, DCSS and Qud do.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The former is about* to have a giant update gunning directly for the general Slay the Spire experience alongside The Sprawl it seeks, the latter has pretty much just made nigh-constant, weekly progress for quite some many months---perhaps, it will exit Early Access sometime early 2021 whereas Gordian has a few more Big Chunks to go.

Odds of losing with either are Slim, both primed to do well at wildly different senses of cadence.

Consider also, for kicks, the Newcomer into the adventure just starting down the winding road:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1056840/ARCANIUM_Rise_of_Akhan/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jack Trades posted:

I want to recommend Ratropolis that recently came out of Early Access.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1108370/Ratropolis/

It's a deckbuilder, in the style of Slay the Spire or Monster Train, but with Tower Defense elements instead.
I'm gonna admit that I originally bought the game for the art but I ended up enjoying the gameplay a lot.

I got as far as "real time" and checked the hell out in real time. Not for me at all, sorry.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

So I'm looking at Gordian Quest and Trials of Fire as two card-based games to add to my ever-expanding collection of early access could-be-good card builders. Anyone have any strong thoughts about either to help me choose between them?

Trials of Fire is in my top 10 of most played games already, I'm a big fan. The core gameplay loop is really solid.

I haven't played Gordian Quest yet, I'd be interested in feedback about it as well.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Trials of Fire is excellent and has a very cool and original energy mechanic. I'm also always a sucker for equipment that add cards to your deck, something both games share.

Gordian quest is a lot more conventional in a lot of ways, but that can be a bonus depending on your taste. It also has much more of a structured quest and story. The power curve for your characters feels a lot more gradual though I hear they're working on changing this.

I like both but prefer Trials. I like Chrono Ark more than either of them.

Osmosisch fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 27, 2020

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

I feel the opposite. It's neat to see all the little bits and pieces of lore that they do have, and how the monsters escalate over time. The events and boss quotes lend to the whole idea that this is an endless loop, and that no matter what happens, you're going to be back, sometimes victorious, and sometimes not. The characters have been trapped in the endless dance for so long that they've even forgotten some of the steps, only to remember them on their journey back to the top. It's just a little touch and dash of flavor on top of a very strong mechanical game, and the game is much better for it.

In my eyes, the epitome of dry gameplay that is absolutely fantastic is the board/card game Dominion. The gameplay is phenomenal, but I can't stand to play it because it's just so damned dry and mechanical. If all the StS cards were just "6 damage" "8 damage, draw a card" "channel a lightning orb" etc., then it wouldn't be nearly as fun to play. Because the cards have different names and art and those names and drawings fit a theme and influence strongly how the character plays, it helps the player to understand how to put the deck together and lets the player know what kind of character each of the different StS characters are.

For instance, mechanically we know that Ironclad has a few things going. Exhaust is a major mechanic, with multiple cards that exhaust other cards, a power that draws cards when you exhaust, a power that makes all skills cost 0 and exhaust, and a card that makes block when you exhaust a card. Adding statuses to the deck is another mechanic, and one that synergizes with being able to exhaust cards, as you will then always have something to exhaust. In addition, there's a power that makes you draw cards when you draw a status, which makes them even less of a penalty to add to the deck. Then there are the self damage mechanics, ranging from self damage for lots of damage, to continuous damage every turn for card draw and more damage. And those synergize with giving strength on taking damage, gaining block on taking damage, and one card that deals damage and heals you, along with the starting relic that heals after each fight.

But the way the cards are named and themed, you have a master swordsman with demonic power. He feeds off of corruption and self-sacrifice, getting stronger and more powerful even as he is draining himself of his abilities, memories, and health by exhausting cards and spending HP. We associate those things with demons, and so it becomes a nice shorthand for a new player to understand what this character is all about, and to embrace the HP loss that otherwise seems quite scary.

The Silent, by contrast, is quick and agile, capable of putting out lots and lots of little attacks, using poison, defending amazingly well, and burning through the deck with card draw and discard mechanics that make her feel more agile. Where the Ironclad is a tank that breaks the enemy on himself and then eats them alive for more power, the Silent focuses on avoiding damage and killing the enemy with a thousand cuts or whittling them down with crippling poison effects until they keel over.

It's good theming, and that little bit of lore does a lot of heavy lifting in making you appreciate the characters and their approach to the spire. The bits of enemy lore and things you learn about them as you ascend is also neat, and makes the game just that little bit more interesting as you progress.

Oh I think you misunderstood. I love all that stuff in Slay the Spire. I'm saying that Vault of the Void would probably not have me criticize it for being half-assed if it hadn't bothered, instead of doing a half-way thing where it only tries a little and then Beep Boops the rest of the way.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Mithross posted:

Bosses (in Atomicrops: ed) are no longer the same each run, a new patch dropped earlier this week that adds four new bosses and a few other new items/events/whatnot. I haven't checked it out yet myself so I'm not sure what all it added and how much variety it actually adds.

The new patch adds quite a bit.

I guess what I've been enjoying about it is the gradual difficulty curve. It ramps up with an even-ness that most games like this seem to lack.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Memnaelar posted:

I haven't played Gordian, but Trials is extremely solid and well designed.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
After completely forgetting about Ultima Ratio Regum for years, a major, final-ish release appears to be imminent. It will be interesting to poke around in it, even if it's understandably of a much more modest scope than the initial roadmap.

e: maybe not that interesting:

corn haver fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 27, 2020

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I bounced off Trials the first time a couple of months ago and refunded it, but its combat mechanics are interesting and energy makes for a neat twist on the hexgrid card battler style, it's mostly the weathered/muted/worn overworld and UI aesthetic that left a bad taste in my mouth. It's a good game that I expect a lot of people will like, I just wasn't one of them in the first two hours and I wanted the money for something else. I don't think any of the stuff I disliked is going to change but maybe in future the stuff I like will improve enough to make up for it, so maybe I'll look at it again in the future.

The thread comparing the two got me to try Gordian last night after initially putting it in the Tainted Grail "wait until it had more of the promised classes and content" box, and then before I knew it it was 1 AM. The fights I got into in that time were way more reminiscent of StS (which can be a good or bad thing, YMMV) but it adds most of what I liked about Trials to the formula (making positioning relevant to the combat, more substantial equipment/loot/crafting), as well as neat looking progression systems for XP/levels and talents (which apparently will be changing in the near future?). The packaging is, I definitely agree, more conventional than Trials in terms of "roguelike deckbuilders", and more conventional than either Trials or StS in terms of RPGs.

I've barely scratched the surface of either game and of course neither is entirely done (Trials is closer, obv) but Gordian left a much better first impression for me. I don't think you can go wrong with either, though.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Dallan Invictus posted:

I bounced off Trials the first time a couple of months ago and refunded it, but its combat mechanics are interesting and energy makes for a neat twist on the hexgrid card battler style, it's mostly the weathered/muted/worn overworld and UI aesthetic that left a bad taste in my mouth. It's a good game that I expect a lot of people will like, I just wasn't one of them in the first two hours and I wanted the money for something else. I don't think any of the stuff I disliked is going to change but maybe in future the stuff I like will improve enough to make up for it, so maybe I'll look at it again in the future.

Fam, this was me last night. I gave it half an hour before taking a deep breath and deciding that I just couldn't get past the UI and the overworld. The gameplay might get deep, but I have to ENJOY being in the game space to actually play the game. The mechanics seemed fine, but not so overwhelmingly neat that I wanted to keep accessing them through that framework. A real bummer.

I may take the refund credit and pump it right into Gordian Quest and see how it looks on the other side. It definitely presents as a bit more polished.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Enjoying Jupiter Hell so far although it really seems to provide sudden difficulty spikes. I've died quickly after getting to like Europa 3 a few times now. Just need to spot the danger signs I guess. Melee is fun and seems surprisingly viable in some situations.

perc2
May 16, 2020

Not that I don't mind deckbuilding discussion, but does anyone know if there's a thread for it? I really, really like the genre and would be happy to do a reviewpost of everything I've played so far if either the thread exists, or if it doesn't, I'll make one. They don't even need to be permadeath run ones, I just really like games with deckbuilding & cards...

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

perc2 posted:

Not that I don't mind deckbuilding discussion, but does anyone know if there's a thread for it? I really, really like the genre and would be happy to do a reviewpost of everything I've played so far if either the thread exists, or if it doesn't, I'll make one. They don't even need to be permadeath run ones, I just really like games with deckbuilding & cards...

There's no thread for it, but I think it'd make sense as well.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I bounced off Trials the first time a couple of months ago and refunded it, but its combat mechanics are interesting and energy makes for a neat twist on the hexgrid card battler style, it's mostly the weathered/muted/worn overworld and UI aesthetic that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Ha, I have this problem with Crono Ark. I can't get over the anime presentation.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

on the one hand, there are a ton of deckbuilder games out now so a thread to talk about them all makes sense. on the other hand most of them are roguelites so they could just be talked about here.

:shrug:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Question about the new Shiren. I'm having trouble getting my head around night. Is there any way to tell what level an enemy monster is without hitting them with something? It's all well and good to carry a bunch of rocks around, but it'd be nice to be able to tell instantly.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

i think of demons posted:

After completely forgetting about Ultima Ratio Regum for years, a major, final-ish release appears to be imminent. It will be interesting to poke around in it, even if it's understandably of a much more modest scope than the initial roadmap.

e: maybe not that interesting:

So is this essentially just a walking simulator?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
A dedicated deckbuilding game thread could be a good idea. A lot of them are roguelites, but not all of them, so there'd be some overlap. But it's not like there's never been overlap in genre discussion before. And I'm sure there's a bunch of non-roguelite deckbuilders I've never heard of before that I'd find out about because of a dedicated thread. Hell, it'd be a place where we could talk about if Card Hunter was actually any good or if the mechanics were just novel at the time.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah I kept wanting to mention Quantum Protocol the last few times card game stuff came up here but its not a roguelike.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Im_Special posted:

So is this essentially just a walking simulator?
The initial concept iirc circa 2012 was it was a non-combat-centric roguelike (with combat mechanics) with extensive procedural world generation. The goal would be to solve a procedural generated mystery that was embedded into the cultures of the world. The developer has a professional life, and suffered a major health setback. It became clear that it would not completed, at least not as a compelling game. A few major systems were wrapped up and put into a final release without combat or objectives, so yes, it's a walking simulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Epic Games Store has a free roguelite... Solitaire? https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/solitairica/home