Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Okay, yeah, that makes total sense. I had seen the taken down tweet before but not the one quoting it.

e: what a hideous snipe, have another tweet of something that should be taken down

https://twitter.com/catsnoplace/status/1330262624219635720

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
That would be a pretty cool feature actually, if the app told you when a new post would show up on a different page.

(Assuming no other people posting at the same time, but even then that should only give false negatives and not false positives.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did something change in the most recent update that would make my iPhone 12 mini use OLED dark theme instead of normal dark? It was quite a jarring change!

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

smackfu posted:

Did something change in the most recent update that would make my iPhone 12 mini use OLED dark theme instead of normal dark? It was quite a jarring change!

Same here! Took me a bit to figure out what changed, but I think a few of my settings were adjusted.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The app is acting up for me again on iPad. Thread pages are constantly reloading and/or the app keeps crashing. Then it stops working completely by freezing up and seemingly making my iPad restart.

Anyone else get this issue after some time of using the app on iPad?

Edit: after turning my iPad off and back on again I went into Awful’s settings and disabled Twitter embeds. Not sure which of the two helped but things are back to normal again.

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 28, 2020

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Hey I just wanted to say this is evidently the most used app on my phone after like texting and the browser. So I appreciate all the hard work

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wizzardstaff posted:

That would be a pretty cool feature actually, if the app told you when a new post would show up on a different page.

(Assuming no other people posting at the same time, but even then that should only give false negatives and not false positives.)

Yeah, I wondered about a subtle change to the post window header, or a slightly darker border on the bottom of the post view when we were at n % 40 == 0.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
Problem that's been driving me nuts, but also may be the doing of twitter's poo poo-eating subhuman frontend team:

I see a tweet that I want to share and tap on the tweet's datetime to open in the in-app browser. I tap the share button and I see the correct page title in the share sheet for a second, but it changes either to twitter's homepage or something I previously opened in the in-app browser. If I hit Copy, it copies the url corresponding to the new, incorrect title on the share sheet. I have to open into full fledged safari and copy the link from there.

It'd also be kinda nice if when the in-app browser opened, it trimmed all the tracking link poo poo from the end of url so it didn't show the source as SA (I send a lot of links from the forums to normal-brained friends). I might clone down the repo and see if I can do this myself.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

16-bit RDRAM posted:

Problem that's been driving me nuts, but also may be the doing of twitter's poo poo-eating subhuman frontend team:

I see a tweet that I want to share and tap on the tweet's datetime to open in the in-app browser. I tap the share button and I see the correct page title in the share sheet for a second, but it changes either to twitter's homepage or something I previously opened in the in-app browser. If I hit Copy, it copies the url corresponding to the new, incorrect title on the share sheet. I have to open into full fledged safari and copy the link from there.

It'd also be kinda nice if when the in-app browser opened, it trimmed all the tracking link poo poo from the end of url so it didn't show the source as SA (I send a lot of links from the forums to normal-brained friends). I might clone down the repo and see if I can do this myself.

That tweet url copy behavior has been happening to me for the last few weeks as well.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I’ve always hit the share button inside the tweet, not in the app. I like getting the base link without all the src info, and pasting it myself in to other apps. That’s still working fine i think if you want a temporary workaround.

I just tried using the awful app’s share button and I saw the same behavior you’re describing of the changing title.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet

Brain Curry posted:

I’ve always hit the share button inside the tweet, not in the app. I like getting the base link without all the src info, and pasting it myself in to other apps. That’s still working fine i think if you want a temporary workaround.

I just tried using the awful app’s share button and I saw the same behavior you’re describing of the changing title.

Where do you hit the share button? Awful's fullscreen browser or in safari?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

16-bit RDRAM posted:

Where do you hit the share button? Awful's fullscreen browser or in safari?

Awful’s browser. Tap date/time to load tweet, hit the share button in the tweet, hit copy or whatever I’m doing, and then Done.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet

Brain Curry posted:

Awful’s browser. Tap date/time to load tweet, hit the share button in the tweet, hit copy or whatever I’m doing, and then Done.

That's where it pulls the old switcheroo on me

I'm pretty certain it's the dullards at twitter but who knows (pokeyman)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Try long-pressing on the title bar of the Tweet page in the Awful browser, like so:

...and choose "Copy" from there.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet

Grace Baiting posted:

Try long-pressing on the title bar of the Tweet page in the Awful browser, like so:

...and choose "Copy" from there.

Holy moly i had no idea you could do that, thanks for pointing that out!

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

16-bit RDRAM posted:

That's where it pulls the old switcheroo on me

I'm pretty certain it's the dullards at twitter but who knows (pokeyman)

I use the circled ones

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
These are all great workarounds, thanks goons!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Awful M1 thoughts: it’s good, I’m probably going to post with a keyboard more frequently now!

Only issue I’ve noticed so far is that the swipe-for-next-page seems to be calibrated for a tall screen and I’m finding it’s physically impossible to trigger it on the MacBook touchpad. Would be nice to have sensitivity options there if possible.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is there some way to use the search in the app? I don’t see any way to search posts.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is there some way to use the search in the app? I don’t see any way to search posts.

Came here to ask this, on Android you fed could but I can’t find it on iOS

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nope.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Can this workaround be implemented easily?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951428&perpage=40&noseen=1

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Is there a fix for uploading GIFs?

If I upload a GIF via imgur the old fashioned way, the file uploads as a GIF and I can embed it in a post and have it move and loop and do all the good normal GIF stuff.

But I just tried to embed a GIF that I've put on the forums from my phone library before through the app for the first time and it seems to have uploaded the image as a PNG static frame. Is there a way to upload an image and specify the filetype or keep the filetype the same?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Will catch up on the rest here in a bit!

Red Baron posted:

Someone earlier mentioned Twitter embeds make the app really slow and a link to a page was asked for but never provided. This page does it for me:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946225&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=2849

Thanks!

Drastic Actions posted:

Trying out on my MacBook Pro M1. Overall, pretty good! Haven’t hit any major blockers and it looks pretty good apart from the elongated titlebar. If that extended into the top bar so it blended that would look nice IMO.

I've been promising to do something with Awful on Mac for years and so far nothing, so I'm not gonna keep promising, but theoretically it sounds like a fun project :) glad to hear it's alright running as an iOS app in the meantime.

Red Baron posted:

I will add that it does seem to be hit-or-miss for me even on pages with a ton of Twitter embeds. Having only followed this thread for the last few pages i anecdotally will also say that “app hopping” does seem to exacerbate the issue, but I can’t empirically confirm that.

I will definitely say that the longer I read that thread the worse the issue has gotten, so I’m not sure if there’s some caching issue happening.

Perhaps semi related there was some conflagration of stickied threads in that forum recently that caused my view of it in the app to become a random mashup of stickied threads and actual new updated ones about a month ago that was only resolved by deleting the app and then reinstalling it, but I cannot honestly remember if this was an issue before or not.

I also would add that this doesn’t seem to just be an issue on Twitter heavy threads, but I have also had issues scrolling past just embedded images. I want to say that this may have only become a real issue since I enabled experimental features in my user CP? I’m not sure how to best provide data for this, but I’m willing to grab whatever would help.

I’ve definitely enjoyed this app more than enough to try to be of whatever assistance I can!

Thanks for all this. Stickies have been weird for a little while so I'll +1 on that too.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Sometimes, clicking on a username in a quote to go to the quoted post will single out a post and ONLY show that post (but not the quoted post I was looking for).

This happens a lot in the Trump thread in cspam so I think it’s showing me the newest unread post by itself.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

See this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951653&perpage=40&noseen=1#post510784004

Dunno if there’s anything to do about it right now.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Links appear blue and underlined in the lepers colony but there’s no way to click them without just jumping to the post.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i can't wait for mods to start embedding entire SPAs in the ban reason

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Any chance at implementing the smilie tag searching goons worked hard on?

Sorry if this is already on the todo list. I didn’t read the thread before posting.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Any chance that if you turn Always Preview Posts off, you could instead preview a post by holding the Post button before a new reply or post in threads.

It’s handy if you’ve used links or BB code

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Long press on a navigation item isn't something I'd recommend doing, it's not discoverable at all and might even be against the HIG. I'm not sure it'll be easy to implement either.

Possible thoughts:
We can add a new button to the compose interface (likely not in the navigation bar; either fitting it into the existing compose toolbar or adding a new one, or adding possibly adding it to the context menu of the text field) that pops up a preview.

We can add a third mode for the post preview setting that changes whether the top right button is Preview or Post based on whether it detects bbcode statements (possibly ignoring quote?)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m hoping to get tweets embedding in previews, so it would be good if those and video links triggered preview as well I think. (I don’t know if we synthesize [img] or [url] bbcode for those.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

carry on then posted:

Long press on a navigation item isn't something I'd recommend doing, it's not discoverable at all and might even be against the HIG. I'm not sure it'll be easy to implement either.

Possible thoughts:
We can add a new button to the compose interface (likely not in the navigation bar; either fitting it into the existing compose toolbar or adding a new one, or adding possibly adding it to the context menu of the text field) that pops up a preview.

We can add a third mode for the post preview setting that changes whether the top right button is Preview or Post based on whether it detects bbcode statements (possibly ignoring quote?)

Thanks, whatever you think is best !

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Inserting images doesn’t seem to be working for me anymore, it errors out when trying to post

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Animal posted:

Inserting images doesn’t seem to be working for me anymore, it errors out when trying to post

works for me :shrug:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I just tried again

IMGUR API ERROR
file type invalid

It happens with whatever pic I select form my iOS Photos library

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Deleted the Awful app and re-downloaded and was now able to post a pic :shrug:

edit: just tried in another thread and didn’t work. Same error.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
Your camera is probably saving as heic images instead of png, try converting the images

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

16-bit RDRAM posted:

Your camera is probably saving as heic images instead of png, try converting the images

Huh. Is the high efficiency camera option not compatible with Imgur? I never even noticed I had it on, but then again, I very rarely post photos I’ve taken personally on here.

E: but yeah, photo posting problem goon. That error message looks like it’s being relayed from Imgur, I don’t think it’s an issue with the app.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 28, 2020