Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

It's starting to look like Tokyo is going to take a bath when it comes to the olympics. Sucks because of any country they are one of the ones that would have done it best. Other than the crappy weather.

budgets just seem to find a way to explode in any country hosting the Olympics in the past 20-30 years, it's such a coincidence how that keeps happening.

to me the absolute shock is trying to bring any foreign tourists in for the Olympics as of right now. the J-League and NPB showed they can do outdoors sports without too much of an issue, but even they had problems enforcing the "no loud cheering" and social distance rules at times (hello, Urawa Reds fans). now trying to enforce those rules on foreigners who don't speak Japanese? Probably impossible.

the vaccines can't get here quickly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

If the Olympics actually happen, AND there are still restrictions for overseas visitors, maybe I can actually get a ticket to an event, instead of settling for being so close I can hear the cheering from my apartment, but I didn't get the website to load in the 3 seconds tickets were available -- as was the plan for 2020.

Wait, what am I saying? There's plenty of time to cock this up in the next 7 months.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The company doing those Mario Kart rentals in Tokyo got sued by Nintendo a while ago, and NHK is now reporting that Nintendo won the lawsuit yesterday, with damages of 50 million yen (roughly $500,000 USD).

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20201225/k10012784791000.html

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Spoggerific posted:

The company doing those Mario Kart rentals in Tokyo got sued by Nintendo a while ago, and NHK is now reporting that Nintendo won the lawsuit yesterday, with damages of 50 million yen (roughly $500,000 USD).

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20201225/k10012784791000.html

Lol ouch those guys are ridiculously hosed. Already shut down as I recall, even trying to make a gofundme or some analog to stay afloat, which failed miserably, and now hit with this. Gotta suspect that they’re ultimately not coming out ahead, though maybe they took in enough while operating that it was worth it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i'd be curious to see their books and see how the internet influencer sausage is made

e: im making the assumption that their advertising might have included paying instragram people

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

Lol ouch those guys are ridiculously hosed. Already shut down as I recall, even trying to make a gofundme or some analog to stay afloat, which failed miserably, and now hit with this. Gotta suspect that they’re ultimately not coming out ahead, though maybe they took in enough while operating that it was worth it.

I'm guessing they made way, way more than that while they were running. It was around for several years, and they expanded a lot with additional tours and even in Osaka. Costs should be pretty low: some staff, go-kart maintenance/buying new ones every once in a while, a bit of overhead.
Crowdfunding is no indication of financial distress: it's easy to exploit, basically free, and you can use it for marketing purposes too. An awful lot of places have just put their hands out with an appeal to pity thanks for corona.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

I'm guessing they made way, way more than that while they were running. It was around for several years, and they expanded a lot with additional tours and even in Osaka. Costs should be pretty low: some staff, go-kart maintenance/buying new ones every once in a while, a bit of overhead.
Crowdfunding is no indication of financial distress: it's easy to exploit, basically free, and you can use it for marketing purposes too. An awful lot of places have just put their hands out with an appeal to pity thanks for corona.

Yeah you’re right; I later started to think about how much they must have taken in, and I didn’t even know they expanded. Moreover I guess they’ll just be right back at it once things open up and only closed temporarily. I do wonder how significant their legal fees were besides the actual settlement, as I thought that case was in the works for a long time.

Also when looking at what they actually charged I saw for the first time that apparently they gave 2000 yen discount for a positive review, which is a drat good incentive. Also why they had so many high reviews despite it seeming half the time I saw the groups it was people sitting in traffic looking bored.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If memory serves they also tried their crowdfunding campaign on a very Japan-specific platform despite being almost 100% foreign tourist-focused which seems like a real own-goal.

Meanwhile no non-residents will be allowed in until the end of January thanks to the UK mutation making its way back to Japan. Looks like the two-week quarantine is fully back too.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Yep, always seemed like just a cash grab, and they got truly pathetic amounts of money.

https://camp-fire.jp/projects/view/260521

Edit: I think the may not be the first/main one though? There were a few I think and maybe indeed timing wise some got hosed by Corona by getting hit before they could make back their initial investment.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 27, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It was pretty obvious even before this that I wouldn’t make my May trip but I hit the cancel button today. Still hard to do, mentally, given that I will have missed two years in a row but .. I’d rather be alive to go when it does open up again :cool:

Really curious to see what they’ll do with the Olympics now. Even with the vaccine, I can’t imagine any way in hell this goes well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

It was pretty obvious even before this that I wouldn’t make my May trip but I hit the cancel button today. Still hard to do, mentally, given that I will have missed two years in a row but .. I’d rather be alive to go when it does open up again :cool:

Really curious to see what they’ll do with the Olympics now. Even with the vaccine, I can’t imagine any way in hell this goes well.

Nothing solid has come yet but the news articles I saw suggested February for first vaccinations (medical workers, etc) and March for local governments starting to vaccinate residents. And Japan has already locked in contracts with Pfizer and Moderna, and I doubt they’ll be as dumb or cruel as the Trump administration has proven to be.

That said, the publicly stated goal is still foreign tourists for the Olympics...being traced by a smartphone app. If you’ve lived or visited here you know how many questions and issues that will raise.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It was going to be a clusterfuck without covid, if they do go ahead with it next year it'll be an absolutely incredible gently caress of all the clusters.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Martytoof posted:

I'm guessing they are going to allow the athletes and other needed people in. And then require 2 weeks of quarantine. Which means no practice for the athletes. Oh well. I mean, they might not do this but it's the logical way to run things. And it will benefit Japanese athletes which the home country always tries to do in one way or another.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Walking in front of those people as they sat stopped at a light near Kanda station, dressed like Yoshi, our eyes would meet and they would have a look of “why did I agree to do this” and “holy poo poo this is cold” on their faces usually

Kind of surprised that it was ever legal and that no one ever got smushed by a truck running a red light or something in their tiny little gokarts

Corny rear end poo poo for tourists but hey whatever makes you happy I guess right

Also there’s no loving way in hell they’re cancelling the olympics

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
After all the money the government sunk into getting Tokyo ready for the Olympics, I don't them canceling it yeah. It'll probably keep getting kicked to different dates until its safe/they can bullshit their way into pretending its safe.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was talked into it before I knew it was universally disliked by the locals. It was an experience for sure, but I spent all my time trying not to get creamed by little vans and buses. I had to run a red light to make sure my group didn’t leave me behind. Even if it survives AND wasn’t disliked by the locals I still wouldn’t recommend it, or go back for a second kick at the can.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thanks for reminding me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h57UR-oIE_g

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Archer666 posted:

After all the money the government sunk into getting Tokyo ready for the Olympics, I don't them canceling it yeah. It'll probably keep getting kicked to different dates until its safe/they can bullshit their way into pretending its safe.

I also feel like the Olympics in Japan has a level of cultural cachet that would be unfamiliar to other developed countries. Rightly or wrongly, the 1964 Olympics is seen as emblematic of a real turning point and high-water mark for Japan in the world at large, signifying their re-entry into the global community after WW2 as well as the Japanese 'economic miracle' where it was a bad year when they weren't hitting 10% GDP growth. I don't doubt there were some pretty big pipe dreams that the 2020 Olympics could achieve a similar (if more modest) reinvigoration of the Japanese economy, which has been effectively stagnant for almost 30 straight years.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jeza posted:

I also feel like the Olympics in Japan has a level of cultural cachet that would be unfamiliar to other developed countries. Rightly or wrongly, the 1964 Olympics is seen as emblematic of a real turning point and high-water mark for Japan in the world at large, signifying their re-entry into the global community after WW2 as well as the Japanese 'economic miracle' where it was a bad year when they weren't hitting 10% GDP growth.

Out of profound curiosity, who have you spoken to in Japan that feels this way about the Olympics?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Stringent posted:

Out of profound curiosity, who have you spoken to in Japan that feels this way about the Olympics?

Old people, and also that weird contingent of weird Japanese hippies who talk a lot about Japan as the nation of 'peace'. But I can't honestly say I go around talking about ancient Olympic games history often. But you can feel free to find a million thinkpieces written over the decades picking apart the legacy of the games in a way you won't find for any other.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'm not going to get into the "Knower of Japanese Popular Opinion" game, but I would be willing to bet that nobody I know is even remotely aware that Japan hosted the Olympics in '64 or would care if informed.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
That reminds me though, I came across a thread a few days ago that brought up some stuff I wasn't familiar with. I'm not sure I buy all of his conclusions, but a lot of his descriptions seem accurate enough:
https://twitter.com/ontakahashi/status/1341536183252262913?s=21

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Stringent posted:

I'm not going to get into the "Knower of Japanese Popular Opinion" game, but I would be willing to bet that nobody I know is even remotely aware that Japan hosted the Olympics in '64 or would care if informed.

I'd be surprised if the majority were wholly unaware, but it's not a big stretch to suggest most people don't give two shits about things that happened decades before they were born. My point isn't that Japan looooves the Olympics, signs point otherwise tbh, but more that the 1964 Olympics are considered a pretty seminal point in Japan's modern history in terms of building soft power/global image and infrastructure. For that reason Japan has gunned pretty hard to host international events since.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jeza posted:

I'd be surprised if the majority were wholly unaware, but it's not a big stretch to suggest most people don't give two shits about things that happened decades before they were born. My point isn't that Japan looooves the Olympics, signs point otherwise tbh, but more that the 1964 Olympics are considered a pretty seminal point in Japan's modern history in terms of building soft power/global image and infrastructure. For that reason Japan has gunned pretty hard to host international events since.

You seem to be confusing some bad blog posts and (maybe) some 80 year old politicians with Japan?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Stringent posted:

You seem to be confusing some bad blog posts and (maybe) some 80 year old politicians with Japan?

Don't extrapolate your personal ignorance to an entire country.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Stringent posted:

every older person (many) i've ever met has brought up anton geesink and the 64 olympics, your personal experiences are as good as anyone's

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Ok, gonna dial this back to the original sin.

Jeza posted:

I also feel like the Olympics in Japan has a level of cultural cachet that would be unfamiliar to other developed countries.

This is weapons grade bullshit, and if I was dumb enough to broach it to the Japanese ppl I interact with regularly they'd be rightfully contemptuous and possibly even offended by it.

Whether or not some weird rear end old ppl think pushing the Olympics ahead in the middle of a pandemic is going to do something to Japan's GDP isn't something I feel qualified to speculate on.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Since I said the thing that caused all the yelling I feel the need to intervene. I heard Tokyo has good ramen, what’s a good ramen place in Tokyo?? Which karaage is better, lawsons or family mart??

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Lol at thinking bringing up food will reduce the Stringent meltdown count instead of increasing it

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Whether or not some weird rear end old ppl think pushing the Olympics ahead in the middle of a pandemic is going to do something to Japan's GDP isn't something I feel qualified to speculate on.

in a way the Olympics here (whether hosting or not) reminds me of the media/mainstream cultural obsession with UNESCO World Heritage recognition in Japan, both coming from a place with a massive chip on the shoulder to try and prove its worth and value on the world stage.

whether that's inherently in the fabric of a national culture or just the demands of some 70 and 80-somethings in politics, TV and Dentsu is up to your own decisions.

[edit] for the record I'm most worried about allowing tourists in from overseas for the Olympics, because whatever understanding of doing the right thing keeping the COVID floodgates closed here would be absolutely gone if thousands of people came from all around the world during a global pandemic. the J-League and NPB games throughout the summer and fall proved you can get people into stadiums here (I didn't see any clusters due to fans being at games in any reporting), so if that's the worry, the ticket balloting in Japan also proved there's demand to go see Olympic events. NBC needs its summer TV programming so I'm convinced the Olympics will go forward.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 28, 2020

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

harperdc posted:

whether that's inherently in the fabric of a national culture or just the demands of some 70 and 80-somethings in politics, TV and Dentsu is up to your own decisions.

Is it?

I'm not sure what a "fabric of a national culture" is, much less how to assess it, but I don't think anyone I interact with in my neighborhood gives a fraction of a gently caress about how the Olympics are going to affect Japan's international standing.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Also wasn't there a fear that Japans/Tokyo infrastructure might not be able to handle the giant influx of Olympics tourists? Its speculation on my part, but I can't help but be worried about that mixed in with COVID worries that the tourists may bring making a horrible mess even worse..

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

I don't get the Olympics hate. At this point athletes should all be able to get vaccinated before the games. Maybe Japan has to provide vaccines for some countries who.don't have a deal with Pfizer or Moderna. As for tourists well that's another problem but Olympics can go on without them.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

teddust posted:

I don't get the Olympics hate. At this point athletes should all be able to get vaccinated before the games. Maybe Japan has to provide vaccines for some countries who.don't have a deal with Pfizer or Moderna. As for tourists well that's another problem but Olympics can go on without them.

the olympics are just a source of corruption and grandiosity and waste

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

It's not a question of you and your mates down the izakaya setting the world to rights, I was only offering another perspective on why Japan pushed to have the Olympics in the first place, and why they will probably continue pushing to have it regardless despite potential dangers. It's not 'contemptuous' or 'offensive' to suggest that the 1964 Olympics was a bigger deal in Japan than many realise and had a lasting impact that is not apparent in most places the Olympics has been held.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

teddust posted:

They should be able to at least require proof of vaccination for any tourist wanting to come in for the olympics, no?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Jeza posted:

It's not a question of you and your mates down the izakaya setting the world to rights, I was only offering another perspective on why Japan pushed to have the Olympics in the first place, and why they will probably continue pushing to have it regardless despite potential dangers. It's not 'contemptuous' or 'offensive' to suggest that the 1964 Olympics was a bigger deal in Japan than many realise and had a lasting impact that is not apparent in most places the Olympics has been held.

As someone who disagrees with stringent about just about everything I’m gonna step in and say that Japanese people don’t give a gently caress about the 2020 Olympics and also the 1964 Olympics.

This is based on every Japanese person I talk to every day in my family and at work, and also on the TV news when they talk about how incredibly unpopular the Tokyo Olympics are.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

sale on Banksy art posted:

As someone who disagrees with stringent about just about everything I’m gonna step in and say that Japanese people don’t give a gently caress about the 2020 Olympics and also the 1964 Olympics.

This is based on every Japanese person I talk to every day in my family and at work, and also on the TV news when they talk about how incredibly unpopular the Tokyo Olympics are.

Slipped in the mess of replies I did mention that the Olympics isn't popular now, but I was never saying that most people are in love with the Olympics or something, just that the '64 Olympics was really influential and is typically acknowledged to be so. For something to cast a long shadow on a country culturally or otherwise, it doesn't need to be popularly recognised or cared about by the general populace 60 years later. For the UK where I'm from, something like the Suez Canal Crisis was a pivotal and influential moment in our modern history and 95% of people have probably never heard of it and less know what it was about.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
They seem to be further restricting entry again, unsurprisingly
https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page22e_000921.html

quote:

On December 26, 2020, the Government of Japan announced the suspension of the Phased Measure for Resuming Cross-Border Travel based on the decision on September 25, 2020, which enabled entry into Japan from all countries and regions from October 1, 2020. This suspension will be implemented from December 28, 2020 till the end of January 2021. However, the entry into Japan of the holders of the visas already issued under this Measure will be basically permitted (except for (1) those who have stayed in the United Kingdom or South Africa within 14 days before arriving in Japan, and (2) those who intend to enter Japan after 0:00 am (Japan Standard Time) on January 4, 2021, having stayed in countries and regions categorized as level 3 (Avoid All Travel) of MOFA’s Travel Advice and Warning on Infectious Diseases within 14 days before arriving in Japan) until the end of January 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
RIP to all the JETs who quit their jobs and paid hundreds of dollars for Covid tests.