Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Calypso posted:

I had a chud neighbor stop by yesterday with no mask. He had an envelope in his hand that I assumed was a Christmas card, but turned out to be a memorial card for his father who died last month. I am so used to delivery people and friends that come over to stay outside of the storm door so we have a barrier. This guy reaches for the storm door handle and starts to open it and I grabbed the door back and closed it and said no, you can’t come in here. He said why? oh, the Covid thing? We are doomed.

lol gently caress

I don't even use my front door anymore. I pushed a massive cat tree in front of it.

On the rare occasion I have to sign for a package or something, I put on my halfmask, go out the back door, walk around, and deal with them on the front porch.

A UPS guy bitched me out for this but I don't loving care, I'm not giving anyone the chance to blow covid clouds directly into my house :dealwithit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

fosborb posted:

1. Facebook's market cap is at $760B. 230 is not going to kill Social Media. It will just make it so you have to be able to contract Cognizant et al to review content for compliance to not be sued. Big Social will lumber on

i mean thats exactly it, right? 230 repeal would ruin whats left of the internet outside of social media while the giants get an even stronger stranglehold on what can & can't be said on their websites. its huge loss for actual people

hell, isps get a pretty strong incentive to censor the internet too. can't get sued that way. no idea why people here are acting like the internet is evil

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

I wish I could return to the internet of 1996 to 2002 when Geocities was king.

Does Section 230 mean that Geocities will get sued for hosting my Final Fantasy fanpage that uses Square-Enix’s copyrighted assets

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People in the GBS thread kept going "Hey the numbers are dropping in the Dakotas, that's a good sign!" and I had to do a small effort post about why their recent numbers are total horseshit

Why are you posting in GBS? That thread is a very bad thread.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I thought Malaysia was terrible and handling the vaccine distribution but Philippines really takes the cake, huh

FWIW I appreciate your Malaysia updates - it's nice to have another Asian nation to commisserate with

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People in the GBS thread kept going "Hey the numbers are dropping in the Dakotas, that's a good sign!" and I had to do a small effort post about why their recent numbers are total horseshit

Covid death numbers as fake as the "unemployment rate" where we can have 20% of the workforce actively drawing unemployment and an unemployment rate of 6%

and the media repeats the regime's blatant lies uncritically.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Iron Crowned posted:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i mean thats exactly it, right? 230 repeal would ruin whats left of the internet outside of social media while the giants get an even stronger stranglehold on what can & can't be said on their websites. its huge loss for actual people

hell, isps get a pretty strong incentive to censor the internet too. can't get sued that way. no idea why people here are acting like the internet is evil

Right now social media et al are the path of least resistance. If you restrict access to things people will want (copyrighted music/video clips are the biggest example), they won't stop wanting those things, they'll just get more clever about hosting outside of the US's jurisdiction and circumventing the law using loopholes

The last thing the owners want is to create a scenario in which the average computer user is incentivized to learn how to use some other platform that allows them to do whatever they want w.r.t. music or video or streaming while they're stuck following laws that make them less appealing or harder to access

People didn't learn to use Napster/Kazaa/Limewire because they're easy (though they are), it's because they didn't want to pay $18 a CD

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Cael posted:

The “images of real people getting the shot” actually having any impact on behavior is loving insane to me.

Well, hey, humans are primates.

We like to eat sugary foods and look at butts.

And sure, we're fancy with fancy frontal lobes that afford us complex social learning. But underneath, it's not exactly that tabula rasa 'crafted by god' stuff.

Like, think about Trump supporters.

Now, seriously, check this out, about 12:50 to 14:00 (timestamped):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWZAL64E0DI&t=770s

Remind you of anyone?

Or how about that meddlesome, vestigial primate instinct toward self-sorting into dominance hierarchies mediated by dominance aggression?

Now, for a baboon, 'dominance aggression' necessarily equates to violence.

But, we're human, so it can be sublimated through, say, a healthy sense of competition. Two friends on track-and-field pushing each other to perform at higher and higher levels and have a blast doing it.

Or maybe in a less healthy way such as screaming that masks are for pussies and I am a free man.

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer

snake and bake posted:

lol gently caress

I don't even use my front door anymore. I pushed a massive cat tree in front of it.

On the rare occasion I have to sign for a package or something, I put on my halfmask, go out the back door, walk around, and deal with them on the front porch.

A UPS guy bitched me out for this but I don't loving care, I'm not giving anyone the chance to blow covid clouds directly into my house :dealwithit:

I ordered a really nice bottle of whiskey for a good friend without thinking of the consequences of must sign for it. I stressed out and had a plan for when it came. The fedex guy dropped it at the door and left even though it had red labels all over it. I laughed and waved as he drove off.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Calypso posted:

I ordered a really nice bottle of whiskey for a good friend without thinking of the consequences of must sign for it. I stressed out and had a plan for when it came. The fedex guy dropped it at the door and left even though it had red labels all over it. I laughed and waved as he drove off.

As someone who's had to work in a customer facing job for the last 6 months, I can safely say that no one gives a poo poo about laws anymore.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Iron Crowned posted:

Web rings were the internet covid bubbles of their time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Iron Crowned posted:

Why are you posting in GBS? That thread is a very bad thread.

I get to curate all the best links and tweets from this thread and dump them in their laps :ssh:

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
i have been lying to you all. i regularly host dinner parties at my house and i haven't gotten the roni yet.

behold photos from my dinner pawties:

Chez Durrneez is open for patio dining*

* must be a cat

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

facetoucher cat posted:

The schools in my county were not going to open until we had a low number of positive cases per 1000 each day then had a meeting with parents and revised it to a certain positivity percentage then after yet another meeting with parents just said gently caress it, school is going to open no matter what

The schools in my city aren't going to open until we're below the whopping, pie-in-the-sky target of 25% positivity.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

SKULL.GIF posted:

The schools in my city aren't going to open until we're below the whopping, pie-in-the-sky target of 25% positivity.

cruise control for cool :cool:

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

facetoucher cat posted:

Isn't the entire premise of Children of Men that they're trying to get onto a cruise ship?

lmao I forgot about that

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

durrneez posted:

i have been lying to you all. i regularly host dinner parties at my house and i haven't gotten the roni yet.

behold photos from my dinner pawties:

Chez Durrneez is open for patio dining*

* must be a cat

This makes me so happy

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

I hear clapping for tinkerbell creates positivity so I'm glad we gave that up or it might have had grave consequences

Ghost of RBG
Sep 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://mobile.twitter.com/iammightor/status/1343153798265630720

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Apoplexy posted:

This is literally what Joe Biden wants in every loving school in every loving town in every loving state in this loving country, during a loving pandemic. Isn't it great that the orange cheeto is being evicted?!

Open Er up!

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Just dropped the gf off to get her covid vaccine (we're both nurses) and in about 30 minutes our household will be innoculated for the first round of the pfizer vax.

Feels good

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

This guy gets it!

I passed by the one strip club in my town and saw it had COVID hours now and thought of you

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

this dude's dead

https://twitter.com/natalie_allison/status/1343593008881684480?s=20

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nice and hot piss posted:

Just dropped the gf off to get her covid vaccine (we're both nurses) and in about 30 minutes our household will be innoculated for the first round of the pfizer vax.

Feels good

OPEN ER UP

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

FizFashizzle posted:

this dude's dead

Breathing looking more normal for a dead man

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

If I went into a hospital and asked a nurse to inject me, and they agreed, what are the chances that it will be the covid vaccine? Is it worth it? Just asking questions...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Epic High Five posted:

I passed by the one strip club in my town and saw it had COVID hours now and thought of you

Considering 2020 is a leap year, it's been 365 days since my last trip to one.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

If I went into a hospital and asked a nurse to inject me, and they agreed, what are the chances that it will be the covid vaccine? Is it worth it? Just asking questions...

I don't know the odds of a random injection being the vaccine, but I would guesstimate it to be going towards 0.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

You will be Injected with essential oils

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

loot boxes but hospital syringes

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

Breathing looking more normal for a dead man

dead people are incredibly stable, from a vital signs perspective

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

oils of the essence

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

I’m taking her home with me
All dressed in white
She’s got everything I need
COVID vaccines

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Nice and hot piss posted:

Feels good
Nice! And hot piss!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

you should change your avatar so that it's a dude double-fisting needles into his face.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FizFashizzle posted:

dead people are incredibly stable, from a vital signs perspective

Trending livingly towards the deadishly

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SKULL.GIF posted:

The worst I've seen recently is Corson County in South Dakota

The county's population is a little over 4,000 and are all within the Standing Rock Indian Reservation, with 60.80% describing themselves as Native American on the last census.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

lol my son's schools are forcing everyone back to in person learning in January. I am sure as gently caress not sending him. Tell Kamala I don't give a gently caress if he's truant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Hell yeah, found out my mother-in-law got covid, and didn't change her habits (including going out) or tell anyone because she didn't want to make people concerned.

Idaho's doin' great folks.