Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Saxophone posted:

The draw distance in this game is absolutely bonkers and I don't know how they pull it off. I can't run Last Epoch, a not-that-graphically-interesting ARPG on my old dinosaur PC (my video card is 7+ years old) but this game runs smooth as butter and I can see things like this.

I hope other companies are stealing whatever code is making things work like it does.

Yeah, as far as I can tell there's literally no limit as long as you have line of sight to something, and it doesn't seem to be "cheating" and using 2d images or something, since you can actually see the chunks floating around the mountain (or see random anemo updrafts from literal miles away).

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Speaking of Eye of Perception, I just got it from the event banner. Seems like a good catalyst! If I ever decide to devote more time to Ning it'd prolly be good for her.

That said it seems like we could use more damage focused catalyst users because as it stands it's really just Ning and Klee. Mona to an extent too but she's more of a support.

Eye of Perception is good; I got a couple dupes of it so I have it redefined some, and its proc hits for pretty significant damage. It seems like one of the weapons that benefit the most from refinement (the ones that reduce cooldown of their effects seem to benefit the most in general, like this, the Favonius weapons, and especially the Sacrificial weapons).

I'll be curious to see what interesting things they do with catalyst-users in the future, since it's pretty much a generic "magic caster" weapon that could do all sorts of weird things with its attacks (with Klee showing some of the potential for this).

Currently only Ningguang and Klee have attacks that "feel good" among catalyst users IMO; the others all feel sorta "floaty" and don't have much impact.

Tsyni posted:

I just have always done those fights for the 10% chance at prototypes. I'm getting to a point where I've gotten enough gacha weapons that it doesn't matter as much anymore though. But you never know what new craftable weapon might come out that you'll want so why not do the once a week dealio. I got a gemstone this week off one of them so that was a treat.

I haven't actually checked how many gems/artifacts you get and how it compares in terms of resin expense, though it's still always worth running just for the talent materials if nothing else.

Subjectively it feels like it gives more than 1.5x what the elemental bosses give (since it's 1.5x as much resin).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

FWIW Dragon is solo only.

Yeah, I just logged back in on discord and talked to people and they cleared that up with me. Beat the wolf and got two of its drops in the process though so that was neat.

S.J. posted:

Eye of Perception is pretty good, are you willing to buy the battle pass? The catalyst from there might be a better overall option for you.

Just like with Team Fortress 2 one day I'll relent and actually spend money on stuff in this game. We'll see if a better F2P weapon comes out before I reach that point though.

Anyway, watching 3 people who know what they're doing fight the wolf really puts into perspective just how far behind the curve I am as I watch Fischl do thousands of points of damage with just her autoattack. :negative:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I just logged back in on discord and talked to people and they cleared that up with me. Beat the wolf and got two of its drops in the process though so that was neat.

Just like with Team Fortress 2 one day I'll relent and actually spend money on stuff in this game. We'll see if a better F2P weapon comes out before I reach that point though.

Anyway, watching 3 people who know what they're doing fight the wolf really puts into perspective just how far behind the curve I am as I watch Fischl do thousands of points of damage with just her autoattack. :negative:

If it makes you feel any better my Fish is lvl 80 C6 with final ascension done, lvl 90 Rust and +20 artifacts across the board. :v:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's really a shame that Mona has the world shittiest modifiers on her basic attacks because she's fun to around as and do poo poo with. Sure you could use her as a main but it's gonna be an uphill battle it feels like.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's really a shame that Mona has the world shittiest modifiers on her basic attacks because she's fun to around as and do poo poo with. Sure you could use her as a main but it's gonna be an uphill battle it feels like.

You'd need whatever her C is that lets her get free charge attacks out during her normals at bare minimum.

Also y'all need to hop in the Discord, it's easier to help people there anyway

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

If it makes you feel any better my Fish is lvl 80 C6 with final ascension done, lvl 90 Rust and +20 artifacts across the board. :v:

Wait, were you one of the people who just helped me? Did you help an Annabelle playing a Ningguang that died and came back around the tail end of the boss fight?

If not, my Fischl won't be far behind you. She's C4 but I keep getting more copies of her so I think her and Ningguang are feuding because they're the only two characters I have over C2 that don't just get their stuff for free like the Traveler.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Wait, were you one of the people who just helped me? Did you help an Annabelle playing a Ningguang that died and came back around the tail end of the boss fight?

If not, my Fischl won't be far behind you. She's C4 but I keep getting more copies of her so I think her and Ningguang are feuding because they're the only two characters I have over C2 that don't just get their stuff for free like the Traveler.

Yes that was me. It was fun.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

S.J. posted:

You'd need whatever her C is that lets her get free charge attacks out during her normals at bare minimum.

That'd be her C2 and yeah no I'm not gonna hope to see that anytime soon. Maybe in a few years just from the sheer amount of incidental 5*s.

Anyways I think maybe I've been a little... too thorough about collecting characters from banners.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

YoshiOfYellow posted:

That'd be her C2 and yeah no I'm not gonna hope to see that anytime soon. Maybe in a few years just from the sheer amount of incidental 5*s.

Anyways I think maybe I've been a little... too thorough about collecting characters from banners.

Albedo and Qiqi are the only characters I don't have so far

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

YoshiOfYellow posted:

After my obscene luck this banner I'm only missing Venti, Diluc, Keqing, and Qiqi. I don't think I'm gonna roll on Ganyu, I already have Diona for a cryo archer and Childe for indiscriminate murder that happens to use bow stats

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Not sure if it's common knowledge or not because I haven't seen it mentioned but if you run-jump off albedo's elevator just before it reaches the top it propels you up much higher than a regular jump would. Has been pretty handy for getting more gliding distance.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Yes that was me. It was fun.

Thank you!

Please tell me how much atk your Fishcl has!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

At first I was rolling on the basis of 'Puh-LEAS give me new characters I'm dying here' and then I rolled Ningguang 4 times in a row. Anyway, now I have Zhongli and Albedo, and am missing Diona, Beidou and every other 5 star character.

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
First time hearing Dragonspine combat music, I am reminded of something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxZLtrh1Pao&t=74s 1:14 if timestamp doesn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8FckEqIo1Q&t=90s 1:30 if timestamp doesn't work

This game is just a chimera of all my favourite games.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Doesn't look like I'm in a rush to ascend Diluc or the prototype formerly known as Aminus. The content I've tried at AR 50 seems pretty manageable right now.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Albedo has graced me with his presence. What artifacts am I looking to hit him out with? I feel like 2p Petra/2p Guardian is a nice go-to.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Taikuri posted:

First time hearing Dragonspine combat music, I am reminded of something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxZLtrh1Pao&t=74s 1:14 if timestamp doesn't work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8FckEqIo1Q&t=90s 1:30 if timestamp doesn't work

This game is just a chimera of all my favourite games.

There's definitely a moment of the exploration music that makes my brain go "Morrowind? Is that you, old buddy?"

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

SynthesisAlpha posted:

There's definitely a moment of the exploration music that makes my brain go "Morrowind? Is that you, old buddy?"

This part? (About 25 seconds in)

https://youtu.be/blgNKgxXqSU

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

This part? (About 25 seconds in)

https://youtu.be/blgNKgxXqSU

lol this is like the 5th song in this game i've heard that has just straight ripped another video game song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VzQlFwLf3A

this is literally just the final fantasy title screen song with some chorus "ooh"s in it

EDIT: still nice songs though

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Albedo has graced me with his presence. What artifacts am I looking to hit him out with? I feel like 2p Petra/2p Guardian is a nice go-to.

he's a good candidate for 4pc Petra, you could also do Petra/Noblesse. nothing really wrong with Guardian, i'd run it on flower and sands so you lose the least from it being 4* capped.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

dogsicle posted:

he's a good candidate for 4pc Petra, you could also do Petra/Noblesse. nothing really wrong with Guardian, i'd run it on flower and sands so you lose the least from it being 4* capped.

I should add he’ll be support for Ning for energy generation and the upcoming changes to geo resonance giving it a big boost, so 4p Petra won’t do a whole lot in that situation. Though I could have a complete set on backup in case I want to rotate him in to another team.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

lol this is like the 5th song in this game i've heard that has just straight ripped another video game song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VzQlFwLf3A

this is literally just the final fantasy title screen song with some chorus "ooh"s in it

EDIT: still nice songs though

Yeah it even follows the 1-2-3-5 progression the crystal theme does. I'd say it's more homage-y than anything, but that might be being generous.

That said there's a bunch of other songs in the game that remind me of other songs. One of Liuye's outdoor region themes remind me of the beginning of "In a Sentimental Mood."

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

All I can hear in Qingyun Peak is Beauty School Dropout and it drives me crazy.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Turning in this spear prototype for the dragonspine spear quest is hurting my soul. But I can't just leave the quest up forever, that would hurt my soul even more. Why is Mihoyo making me do this....

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

You get a free prototype from leveling the tree anyway

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

homeless snail posted:

You get a free prototype from leveling the tree anyway

Yeah but that could still have been another crescent pike refinement level. If you're maining Xiangling it's a real hard sell to give up that extra damage.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Saxophone posted:

Yeah it even follows the 1-2-3-5 progression the crystal theme does. I'd say it's more homage-y than anything, but that might be being generous.

That said there's a bunch of other songs in the game that remind me of other songs. One of Liuye's outdoor region themes remind me of the beginning of "In a Sentimental Mood."

The first 30 seconds or of this is the one I heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz2nAshTxNE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLQawHJ38Sc

kater
Nov 16, 2010

lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm not saying dragonspine is ungenerous. Functionally the spear quest is no different from the totally free claymore, but doing it this way sure feels a whole lot worse.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dragon spine is amazing. I’m literally drowning in Lt medals now.

They spaced the dudes out so much better too.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I already knew what the second link was going to be before I clicked it. Yeah, i genuinely like the music in this game, but a lot of it does seem pretty directly uh, inspired from other music.

Also, Re: the "free" spear, I agree that it feels worse to give up a prototype to complete the quest. Either give us the spear, or give us the blueprint for the spear, but don't actually make us craft it as part of the quest because it feels like you're holding primos and XP books hostage for limited materials. Like, functionally it's no different because you get a free one, but it still FEELS bad.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm glad they're making everyone flush a crescent pike down the toilet, it's an ugly and boring spear i hope they design future spear users to barely make use of

check with me when they make you burn a catalyst prototype in 1.6 or something though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not finishing the spear quest

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

:eyepop:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's lol that the one you're "forced" to craft is the most useless craftable in the game - and it's useless in multiple ways (two spear users in the game none of which are great DPS, low base ATK which is bad for split dmg carries which Zhong and Xiangling are, competes directly with a much better weapon for a niche that doesn't even exist). I wouldn't feel that bad about feeling forced to craft a Starsilver because it's at least not bad on Xinyan and to a lesser extent Razor.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

But that 20 mondstat rep.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

kater posted:

But that 20 mondstat rep.
That's actually my real motivation. I'm 20 rep off of finishing this week.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I finished the quest even though I'm only one off from R5 Crescent Pike because I need that clean quest log.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Saxophone posted:

I already knew what the second link was going to be before I clicked it. Yeah, i genuinely like the music in this game, but a lot of it does seem pretty directly uh, inspired from other music.

I mean the game is shameless stolen property from word go. I don’t even care and wish more games would do it this competently.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
I think my favorite spot for that is the Dawn Winery, which has Basically Greensleeves outside and Basically Pachelbel's Canon in D inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The game seems to believe Lisa is the only electro character I need, going by my total lack of luck on the normal wish :negative: I need all 3 of the ladies on that ticket, Lisa's not even there, and I get her again? Dread Arengee is mean

(e) Where does one process cooking ingredients, like making flour?